Start by marking “Midnight Masquerade” as Want to Read:
Midnight Masquerade

Midnight Masquerade (Fairy Tale Collection)

Stavos Voronin was not as blind-eyed as many nobles and royals. Evony’s physical gestures—even the simplest movement of her hands—revealed that she had not always been destitute. The same was true of the children—of their polished manners and the boy’s knowledge of horses and tendency to be bold and fearless of strangers.

Ah yes, Stavos enjoyed a good mystery. After all, in
Published August 4th 2013 by Distractions Ink (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Masquerade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Masquerade

Inspired Kathy
Jan 12, 2011 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013

Review

I'm a huge fairy tale retelling lover and this one was awesome!!

I've always loved the 12 Dancing Princesses.  I've watched Lesley Ann Warren in Faerie Tale Theatre's The Dancing Princess more time than I care to admit.   So take a favorite fairy tale of mine and cross it with Marcia Lynn McClure and you end up with something I can rave about!

This basics of the story I love were all there.... 12 princesses, a silver forest, a hero to solve the mystery... but Marcia took the story and made it
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoy MLMs fairytale retellings and I hope she does more. This is a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. There have been quite a few books based on this fairytale to come out lately, I really enjoyed Marcia's take on it and how she was able to make it her own. I liked that there were still the elements from the original fairytale, but was told from a different perspective. I also liked the reason behind the dancing, seemed more plausible than enchantments and magic.

I liked our m
Jessie
Dec 05, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Midnight Masquerade is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Evony is a princess of a kingdom that I'll never be able to spell. Her Aunt, the queen of the neighboring kingdom, disappears. Within a week, her own mother vanishes too. Her uncle sends a steward to watch over her kingdom since her brother is not of age, but Evony quickly sees that her brother's life, and her own may be in danger. Evony and her younger brother and sister go into hiding. Meanwhile, Evony's cousins are lethargic ...more
Celestine
Oct 12, 2016 Celestine rated it really liked it
You can always count on Marcia Lynn McClure to whisk you away to another world filled with manly men and smart women who work together to solve the big plot problem. I've read a handful of her books (many, many of which are available on Kindle Unlimited, so I really should be downloading more!), and they always delight. The books I've read have had either historical or fantasy settings, but one thing stands out in what is billed as her "clean" romances: the kisses. She is able to impart such yea ...more
Katie W
Marcia Lynn McClure is a master at taking a story and putting her personality into it. She has such a delightful way of crafting a story and engaging the reader, not to mention, her kissing scenes are epic (and clean, of course)!!

I love fairy tales and love to read what different author's do to re-tell those beloved stories. This is a great version of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. I love the unique twists and turns and the interpretation.

Prince Stavos is determined to solve the mystery of the
Melanie
Aug 15, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
What a fun and unique take on The Twelve Dancing Princesses! Stavos Voronin is on his way to solve the mystery of the twelve lethargic princesses and literally runs into Evony. He meets her brother and sister and knows there's more to their story than they're letting on. The rest is full of mystery and romance and so unique that I don't want to give any more away. If you haven't read one of Marcia McClure's books before, you should know that she's known for clean romance with some great kissing ...more
Ruth Hill
Sep 07, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
For quite a while, I have seen this author's name, and her books have been highly recommended. But this is the first of her books that I have ever read, and I had no idea what to expect. I sincerely anticipated that I would enjoy it. I didn't even read the synopsis--I just knew I wanted to read a book by this author. Maybe not the most brilliant thing to do--I have been burned before--but I hoped that this would become positive.

From the first few pages, I was rather persuaded that I would enjoy
Kathryn Cooper
Aug 07, 2013 Kathryn Cooper rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Clean Teen Fiction

I would consider this book a New Adult since the main character is in her early 20s, but lucky for us lovers of clean romance this book was clean just like all of Marcia's wonderful romance novels.

I love fairy tales! This was such a unique retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I didn't know what to expect at every turn. Evony was a wonderful heroine: strong and brave, determined and kind. She was a joy to read. She only made me think, "No! Don't do that! Tha
Julie
Aug 23, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Anytime I pick up a book by Marcia Lynn McClure I know I'm in for a deliciously romantic read with amazing kissing scenes and at least one scene when the hero removes his shirt. I'm happy to say that Midnight Masquerade delivered on all three fronts.

When I realized that Midnight Masquerade was a re-telling of the fairytale The Twelve Dancing Princesses I was even more excited to carve out some precious time to read this book. I'll admit that The Twelve Dancing Princesses is my favorite of the ma
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Aug 01, 2013 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
I'm always excited to get my hands on a new Marcia McClure book. Why? Because I know I'm going to get some fantastic kissing scenes. Ones that will curl your toes and make your heart beat a little faster. I also know that romance will be oozing out of every page. The male lead will be hot stud no matter where the time or setting. He will be strong, protective and manly in every way. Yes, Marcia writes romances for the senses. I can feel, smell, hear and envision her books. What could be better t ...more
Kelly
May 12, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
First off- I love love love Marcia McClure books! I buy her books before I even read the synopsis. I can guarantee that I will love it. “It’s all about the kissing” is her motto. They always take me to another place and time and I can really escape reality. Her books are clean and fun. I love that she puts real personal touches in her books at the end. At the end she tells another story of how the book came to be and “snippets” of information contained in the book. In this book she talks about h ...more
Judy
Sep 26, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Historical Romance
The Waiting is Over, Let the Dancing Commence!

The author had to delay the publication of this book and I (im)patiently waited, & waited for it. Well, the waiting is over!!
I had been eager for the book's release because I've read every one of MLM's books and I needed a new FIX! Based on the cover alone, I assumed the book was a regency era romance with a masquerade ball, mistaken identities... well, I was mistaken.
Evony and her siblings start out as a bit of a mystery; why is she 'hiding' M
Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)
*I received a copy of this book for review from the author for promotional purposes. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.*

I am a total sucker for fairy tale retellings—especially when they are for my favorite fairy tales, one of which is Twelve Dancing Princesses. When I got the e-mail informing me about Marcia Lynn McClure's upcoming blog tour, I didn't even finish reading the blurb for the book; I was already filling out the form on the website.

Midnight Masquerade is told in third pe
Heather
Aug 18, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Midnight Masquerade in exchange for an honest review and I'm so glad I did!

What an absolutely perfect fairy tale. I loved loved loved Midnight Masquerade. The characters, the setting, the story, it was beautiful. Evony was amazing. Stavos was perfect. The bad guys were evil. The queens were missing. I literally sighed when I finished it. This book brought back my love of fairy tales I had forgotten that I had as a child. What girl doesn’t want to be a princess with her own P
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
Sep 02, 2013 Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers) rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Marcia McClure's and I have to say, it won't be my last. This was such a beautifully written story, a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I so love fairy tales, don't you?

I truly loved this book! From the very first page I was captured, each page after that was just pure bliss. This is the first book in awhile that I've been able to finish within a day, with three kiddies it's a really hard thing to do.

Evony, she's such a wonderful character, she's strong, sweet
Andrea
Sep 08, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
I have long been a fan of the story of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I'm not really sure what intrigues me about it (not being a dancer or sneaky), but it's a fun story that I've enjoyed several versions of.

Midnight Masquerade is the first book I've read by Marcia Lynn McClure. I thought her version of this classic fairy tale was quite intriguing. The eCopy I read had a few typos and could have used some editing in some parts that were quite verbose, but on the whole it was enjoyable.

I wouldn't
Kathryn
Jan 24, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Marcia you are an amazing story teller! I love that you get inspiration for your characters through your personal interactions and really appreciate your author's notes at the end. I forget that even authors as wonderful as you have down in the dump days like the rest of us. I'm super grateful that you were able to crawl out and finish your retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. I couldn't put it down, it was the best one I've read and I read a lot.

Stavos is a hero from his first entrance
Cheryl
Aug 14, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorites of all of Marcia's books are her fairy-tale-retellings. I was so excited to get my hands on another one. I was not disappointed. The "Twelve Dancing Princess" is a terrific story in own right. Add Marcia's own twist and I loved it. Kingdoms in peril, lovely princesses, and a dashing and courageous hero. What more could you ask for? I loved her note at the back that said she names the princesses after the kids in her Sunday school class. She also said we can expect more fair ...more
Emily Murdoch
May 07, 2014 Emily Murdoch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fairytales
I LOVED this book!! As a general rule I haven't loved the story of the 12 dancing princesses. There is just something so unappealing about a dark king trapped in the underworld... I don't like that so much of the plot occurs trapped entirely away from the sun. But Marcia has remedied that problem for me in this version and has created the most delightful characters!!! I was entirely captivated the entirety of the book! The only part that gets a little slow for me is the very end but even then th ...more
Kelsy
Aug 27, 2013 Kelsy rated it it was amazing
Midnight Masquerade was simply enchanting. This is unlike any Twelve Dancing Princesses I've ever read. It has turned the story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses into a mysterious subplot with the romance taking the main stage. This kept it from feeling too cheesy, something that tons of fairy tale retellings fall victim to. I love love loved the heroine. Evony is everything you could ever want from a fairytale princess and more! And the romance, oh, the romance! Midnight Masquerade was my first ...more
Amy
Oct 19, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12 Dancing Princesses is one of my favorite stories so I was so excited to read this retelling of the story. I really liked it. Loved the twist and turns and really enjoyed finding out how the mystery was solved. The characters were great I could easily picture them. Of course there was some great kissing. I learned much from reading the authors notes. I really enjoyed this book and will read it again.
Sara
Apr 20, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I love her books. They're so kissy :)

I actually really liked this version--it's from a different standpoint--not one of the 12 dancing princesses! Also, there's not magic in this one, which I actually was a little grateful for. I thought I was sick of the 12 dancing princesses stories, but this one was different enough that I really liked it. Generally great, in my opinion.
Kristen
Jul 22, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it
Interesting retelling of the 12 dancing princesses...liked the story line a lot. Love the cover. Another great one by MLM.

Moral Note: Some passionate kisses, a couple of dang, the H/h get partly undressed to use heat to warm her up, some mild/heavy violence.
Mary Bulloch
May 04, 2013 Mary Bulloch rated it it was amazing
I loved it loved it loved it! One of my favorite fairy tales by one of my favorite authors, how could you go wrong?
Kim Howe Golding
Jul 30, 2013 Kim Howe Golding rated it it was amazing
Swept away by another Marcia Lynn McClure book! Love her retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses!!
Maddie
Jun 29, 2013 Maddie rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute book! Stavos's character was awesome, I really enjoyed this book because of him!!! ;)
Becca
Sep 05, 2013 Becca rated it it was amazing
A retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Loved McClure's take on it and added a bit of a twist. I liked the heroine's strength and sense of adventure. Fun read!!!
Emily
Feb 22, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Emily by: fan of McClure's books
Loved. Loved. Loved.

I'm a super huge fan of McClure's writing. It never fails to put me in a good mood.
Jul 13, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love all of Marcia's books but this one is one of my favorites! I love this retelling of The 12 Dancing Princesses. It's definitely one that I will read again and again!
Susanne
Mar 03, 2013 Susanne rated it it was amazing
This book was a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. Loved the characters, the storyline, the romance (swoon!), and can't wait to read this one again. Such a fun story!
  • Working it Out
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Just Ella (Books of Dalthia #1)
  • The Waiting Booth (Whispering Woods, #1)
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • Daughter of Isis  (Descendants of Isis #1)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
  • A Wicked Kind of Dark (The Minaea Chronicles)
  • My Own Mr. Darcy
  • A Perfect Secret (Rogue Hearts #3)
  • Keeper of Reign (Reign #1)
  • Immersed (Ripple Effect Romance #6)
  • Silver Linings (Ripple Effect Romance #2)
  • If I Had My Way
  • The Enchanted
  • BORN IN SIN (Dacian Legends)
  • Jinnie Wishmaker
  • Gallagher's Choice (Montana Gallaghers, #3)
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic ...more
More about Marcia Lynn McClure...

Fairy Tale Collection (3 books)
  • Saphyre Snow