Start by marking “Repetition” as Want to Read:
Repetition

Repetition

Reminiscent of Orson Welles's The Third Man, Repetition is an atmospheric spy novel of violence, mystery, and tricks of the eye, set in a bombed-out 1949 Berlin. Henri Robin, a special agent of the French secret service, arrives in the ruined city and feels linked to it by a vague and recurrent memory. There is a shooting, a kidnapping, druggings, encounters with pimps and ...more
Published February 17th 2004 by Grove Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Repetition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repetition

Liviu
Sep 08, 2011 Liviu rated it it was amazing
This is a superb novel but one that is not for everyone with its hallucinatory prose, uncertain and shifting identities and themes of incest, forbidden love, s&m, Lolita... all taking places in the ruins of Germany in 1949

Everyone encountered is not quite what he or she seems but the main characters - our "hero" HR aka Henri Robin aka many other names - his seeming double (identity and role to be revealed later), his "handler", the older German officer that is a target of assassination and t
Midge Bork
Another one left unfinished. I had read Jealousy years ago and thought the style fit the subject so well. As a marriage disintegrates the poisoned thoughts keep repeating. I should have expected more of the same in a book titled Repetition. I got 40% in and have little understanding of what's going on. Neither does the protagonist who, so far, has used 4 different names. Maybe I ne3d to switch to summer reads.
Robert Wechsler
Feb 24, 2015 Robert Wechsler marked it as tasted
Shelves: french-lit
At first, I was delighted with the combination of Alain Robbe-Grillet and Richard Howard’s skillful writing but, as I read further, it became clearer to me that this novel was a game and that I was not enjoying it. I’m not a fan of doubles (characters, not tennis) or of spy games or of much else that Robbe-Grillet is playing with here. So I put it down.
Alex Kennard
Jul 29, 2014 Alex Kennard rated it really liked it
To call this book difficult would possibly be an understatement. To say it is not for everyone a vital one. This hallucinatory narrative of endlessly shifting narrators is not easy to understand or relate to, & is, in fact, often deliberately appalling. For all this, indeed because of it, I enjoyed the book greatly.
ZaRi
این نخستین ازدواج حتی کمتر از ازدواج ما طول کشید . او به من اطمینان داد که این فقط یک تمرین است تا برای نمایش نهایی آماده شوم با این حال من رفته رفته پی بردم که بر عکس تنها یک بازیگر جانشین هستم. جانشین بازیگر اصلی ... یا دربهترین حالت بازیگری که تنها چند شب در تکرار یک نمایش قدیمی شرکت می کند...!
Samaneh
Aug 01, 2011 Samaneh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
این نخستین ازدواج حتی کمتر از ازدواج ما طول کشید . او به من اطمینان داد که این فقط یک تمرین است تا برای نمایش نهایی آماده شوم با این حال من رفته رفته پی بردم که بر عکس تنها یک بازیگر جانشین هستم . جانشین بازیگر اصلی ... یا دربهترین حالت بازیگری که تنها چند شب در تکرار یک نمایش قدیمی شرکت می کند .
Anna
Aug 24, 2010 Anna added it
Shelves: foreignwriters
Oh boy...not a fan of this book. The main character seems to spend the majority of his time falling asleep or in a fog: not a great bedtime read.
Tcunniff
Mar 21, 2008 Tcunniff rated it it was amazing
Robbe-Grillet's final novel. (he died this year). Far more subjective than the early novels which made him famous. Obsessive, philosophical, and in the format of a spy-thriller.
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Perka
Perka rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Cesare Muntoni
Cesare Muntoni rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Arash Radmanesh
Arash Radmanesh rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Marie Pascale Gignac
Marie Pascale Gignac rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2009
Wago Kreider
Wago Kreider rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Jake Johnson
Jake Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2010
Connor
Connor rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2007
George
George rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Thomas Christopher
Thomas Christopher rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2007
Valentina Visan
Valentina Visan rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Dapsax
Dapsax rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2012
June
Sep 15, 2013 June rated it it was ok
Sort of a repeat of Erasers...not as good the second time around.
ted
ted rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2007
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2007
Carmen
Carmen rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2013
cddb
cddb rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Andrew Locke
Andrew Locke rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Jeff Davis
Jeff Davis rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
  • The Inquisitory
  • La Place de l’Étoile
  • The Interrogation
  • Hotel Theory
Alain Robbe-Grillet was a French writer and filmmaker. He was along with Nathalie Sarraute, Michel Butor and Claude Simon one of the figures most associated with the trend of the Nouveau Roman. Alain Robbe-Grillet was elected a member of the Académie française on March 25, 2004, succeeding Maurice Rheims at seat #32.

He was married to Catherine Robbe-Grillet (née Rstakian) .

Alain Robbe-Grillet wa
More about Alain Robbe-Grillet...