Start by marking “Shanna” as Want to Read:
Shanna

Shanna

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  8,548 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Kathleen E. Woodiwiss comes one of her most iconic and beloved romances of all time…

A pact is sealed in secret behind the foreboding walls of Newgate Prison. In return for one night of unparalleled pleasure, a dashing condemned criminal consents to wed a beautiful heiress, thereby rescuing her from an impending and abhorred arranged u
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Shanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shanna

Tammy Walton Grant
I've just re-read this one for the first time in recent memory -- it' still my all time favourite historical romance. BUT...I can sure see why so many people don't like Shanna. She's a spoiled b**ch and I would have slapped her silly before the end of part 1. And I don't quite understand why Ruark fell so deeply in love with her - she doesn't show many redeeming qualities until the last quarter of the book.

What I love about the book I think is the sweeping saga of it all. And Woodiwiss' writing.
Lisa Kay
One day in 2027 Shanna will officially become a true “classic” in lieu of just a “bodice-ripper” or “historical-romance”. Until then, I will just have to refrain from tagging it as such for my personal GoodReads bookshelf. But, just so you know, it is one. A classic.

It is also the only historical romance book my husband ever listened to, against his will and with strong protestations, as read by me. We were going snow skiing, back in the days when we couldn’t afford to fly, and it was a 14 hour
Barbara
Jan 02, 2009 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First off to all of you who actually read this book and didn't skip, skim and go directly to the end...you must have the patience of a preacher and you deserve to win the lottery =) I really did try to give this novel a fair shot, it did start off great, but holy moly there was just to much information for my taste (yes there is a such thing as too much plot). It just went on and on and on and on....(much like this review), so I'll do what Woodiwiss couldn't or wouldn't do and stop while I'm ahe ...more
DNF. While the idea behind Shanna & Ruark's saga is a good one, I can't drum up enough interest to make it through the next 400 pages. It's just plain slow. Really, really slow. Also really, really wordy. The plot was puttering along in the background -- and it should've been a plot I cared about, because the proper ingredients were there -- but my interest was obscured by the tedium of endless minutia. I don't need to hear how people step down from a carriage. Stare at each other. Walk to t ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Wonderful!

This is my first foray into the brilliance that is Kathleen E. Woodiwiss's writing, even though I've had some of her books on my shelves for years. But when the publisher sent me a copy of Shanna I decided that there's no time like the present, and dove right in. And oh, how glad I am that I did because this isn't just a historical romance, it's an epic love story. There's mystery, romance, passion, sword fights, pirates, kidnapping, murder...start to finish it's one captivating, exci
Keri
So I decided to do a re-read on this older gem of a book. I originally read it back in the 1978 range and I was about 13 years old when I read. No, my mother didn't know I read it. Still has the original store price sticker on it. Here is the deal, doing old re-reads can be a tricky thing. Some books don't hold up to the test of time and this one didn't for me. I am leaving my rating as it stands. But Shanna was so immature and bi-polar, I don't know how Roark stood her. I kept begging him in my ...more
Searock

The ending was the only blemish on my experience with this wonderful story.
(view spoiler)

I am the perfect reader for this book though, I must admit. I loved the flowery, lavender-hued prose and the abundance of detail in this rather lighthearted, adventure tale.

That's not to say there wasn't a fair amount of conflict, but it was the good kind in which an awful, naughty villainess-type character slowly comes undone by a wily an
Erin
This was my mom's favorite book and since I was little she has always preached to me about how much I would love it and why it was brilliant.
She loved it so much that by the time it got into my hands, it was worn and tattered-broken in half and pages taped in and taped back together-which, of course,made it a difficult read.
I found my mother's view of this book to be true...

This was my second Kathleen E.Woodiwiss novel-My first being The Flame and the Flower-which I loved, so I decided to tackl
Andrea Smith
Apr 19, 2013 Andrea Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woodiwiss is my all-time favorite author. Way back in the mid 1970's, I was introduced to my first 'gothic' romance novel that contained an alpha male. It was 'The Flame and the Flower.' It was the first book that gave my stomach butterflies; that I couldn't put down. Wikipedia states that this book that was officially published by Avon in 1972 "is credited with spawning the modern romance genre." All I know is that everyone wanted a 'Brandon Birmingham' in their bed - LOL!

That of course was f
sraxe
It's hard to enjoy, much less like, a book in which I thoroughly detest one of the two main characters. It makes it even worse that the novel is named after her so I don't even have a hope that she might somehow be offed before the end and I can be rid of her. The only reason I even bothered to finish it was so that I could write a fully-informed review. Also, I try not to swear in reviews but...this one? Can't be helped.

Shanna is so unlikable. Actually, that's putting it nicely. I got so sick o
Yolanda
May 22, 2015 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado!!! Ruark es maravilloso!!! Shanna es malcriada acostumbrada a salirse con la suya,a veces le darías...
La novela tiene de todo, romance, aventura... y te lleva a muchos sitios la isla de Los Camellos, América, Londres...he disfrutado mucho. Es lo primero que leo de esta autora y no me ha decepcionado para nada.
Para mi es una de esas joyitas románticas escritas hace años, creo que cuando la relea me gustará todavía más.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This one of those books I loved for the hero, and wanted to drop the heroine off a cliff. Back in the day, that was rare. Usually the heroes were jerks with a capital J, and I just wanted the heroine to get away from the hero and give a rude gesture as she walks away. I should reread this. It's a long book, though. Probably should finally read Outlander, first.
Christine
Jun 12, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to me as a romance novel classic, apparently there is a whole generation of romance novel readers that started out as pre-teens with this book as a fondly remembered introduction to the genre. Considering the ponderous length and wordy descriptions in the book I find it impressive that they were so engaged. I suppose it just goes to show, never underestimate the motivating power of a hot love scene. :)

The plot twists and turns and twists again! Ruark, the hero, is awesome. Very alpha
Maureen Feeney
Ruark is in prison waiting to be hanged for a murder he did not commit.Shanna has to marry or her father will choose her a husband. Desperate she propositions Ruark, marry her for a night of passion before he dies, this way she becomes a widow and is free. That is the first 80 or so pages. Then we have nearly 600 pages of a fast adventure, bondsmen(slaves),revenge, colonials, pirates, kidnapping, a couple of murders and love.

The story is brilliant and Ruark is the perfect to die for Hero. Shanna
Carla
Aug 30, 2011 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are books full of jerk heroes who redeem themselves in the last pages and people simply love them because they are rude, arrogant, self-confident, whatever. So, I don't understand why so many people didn't like Shanna. She's that kind of person, with one difference: she's a young girl and not a 35 year old jerk hero. She's totally unexperienced and knows nothing about life. She's a scared girl who dreams with a man who's the opposite of Ruark, probably because she's not prepared for Ruark' ...more
CONSUELO
Oct 03, 2016 CONSUELO rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vaya chasco, no le pongo una estrella porque al final lo he terminado, hubo momentos que pensé no seguir....:(
Michael
Sep 21, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend Matt Bowne's mom was really really into romance novels. Once when I was at his house, waiting for him to finish his chores, I asked her what she was reading. She said I wouldn't be interested, but I was no I was. It was Shanna, orange cover, and she said it was her favorite romance novel ever. So she let me borrow it and I was hooked. I read pulp romance novels my first year of college, and I still love them to this day. Where else can you read "wings of femininity" or someone getting ...more
Becky
Jul 04, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know I am the minority but this was not a GREAT book and had a really hard time even finishing. The only reason I stuck with this book was because of all the great reviews and I kept hoping I would find the wonderment that so many others have felt while reading this book.
I found the plot kept repeating itself only in different locations. Shanna would be mean to Ruark then fall into bed with him, then swear she was done with him, then do it again and again. For me the prose was too flowery. I
Livia Grant
Apr 21, 2013 Livia Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok. I admit it. I'm rating this a 5 because this book changed my life when I was an impressionable teenager. It was the first racy romance novel I ever read and it influenced my life-long love of reading. I've read everything Kathleen wrote and I truly believe she paved the way for today's erotic romance novels with strong Alpha male heros. Having said that, I recently tried to reread Shanna and it certainly is harder to read today. I almost wish I hadn't reread because my memory had it as the p ...more
Cindy Dees
Jan 03, 2012 Cindy Dees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is one of the reasons I write romance novels...I reread this every five years or so. Never get tired of Kathleen Woodiwiss!
Ian
Sep 14, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ian by: Michelle [Helen Geek]
Shanna needs a husband or she'll be forced to marry someone her father chooses. She comes up with the idea of marrying a condemned prisoner. Then once he is hanged she'll be a widow in mourning and will have her freedom. But Ruark manages to cheat the hangman and finds himself an indentured servant, a bondsman to Shanna's father.
Ruark quickly becomes the most valued of bondsmen much to Shanna's chagrin. She cheated Ruark of his wedding night and he's determined she should pay him his due.

This
Sbell
I decided to start my new year with a few
rereads of my favorites. Shanna is not only
a reread for me, it is the first romance book
I ever read. I was on a summer trip, when
my older, much cooler cousin was obsessed
with reading this book while we were supposed
to be having fun on the beach, and sailing.
She put it down, said if I wanted to change
my life, read it. I was 15. This book has stuck
with me through the years.

Basically Shanna needs a husband. Ruark is
in jail, and needs to get out! She strikes
Priscilla
May 11, 2011 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first romance novel I ever read. I must have read it at least a dozen times over the years. KW set the standard for other romance novels to hold up to, in my opinion. Shanna is a spoiled only child who is given an ultimatum by her father--get married or he will find someone for her. So, she finds someone to marry--in prison. She chooses a condemned man to be her husband and he agrees but only if she promises him one night with her. They get married and her husband realizes she intends to ren ...more
Catherine
Apr 27, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers
What is not to love about the epic novels of this author. I read this title again as recently as 2005, but couldn't tell you the first time I read this book.
Romance abound in almost every word!
Sophie ♥
THREE WORDS: DID NOT FINISH

Urghhhhhh I'm not going read another 400 pages of this.
Regan Walker
The Gold Standard for Historical Romance...and more!

This was my first by the queen of the modern historical romance novel, Kathleen Woodiwiss, and it won't be my last. I highly recommend this one. I must be the last to discover this wonderful writer, but I'm glad I did.

Set in mid 18th century London, the Caribbean and Virginia (the colonies), Shanna tells the story of the strong willed Shanna Trahern, the only daughter of a successful British merchant who has retired with his wealth to his Carib
Jen
It breaks my heart that this was the 60th book I read of 2012, because it made me want to gouge my eyes out, but only after assassination of all the really inane, ridiculously "developed" characters in the book. This romance has so much love for it from fans who earnestly wax poetic about it so I was expecting a pretty entertaining read. But. Nooo... no entertaining for me happened while reading this. I ended up skipping ahead when I realized I had made little progress and they had already cross ...more
Jaime Kramer
Aug 06, 2009 Jaime Kramer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of my facebook friends liked this book so I gave it a try.

I could not even finish it.

This is a romance novel. The main character, Shanna, has to find a husband by her 21st birthday, or her father will pick one for her. She ends up marrying and convict on death row. She plans to gain his name by marriage, and then lie to her dad by telling him that her husband died in a carriage accident. In exchange, she offered the prisoner one night with her.

The story sounded like it might be good, but t
Lucie "a heart so wild"
Maybe *Shanna* will be one of the only book that I will never ever forget...
It will be kept in my heart forever...
how I truly enjoy its beautiful romance ....
its high adventure...

I love this book, love and love it always...
2015 Reading Chal...: Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss 2 21 Jan 06, 2015 05:51PM
  • Dark Fires (Brandon-Morgan #2)
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun (Dominick, #3)
  • Deceive Not My Heart (Louisiana, #3)
  • Hummingbird
  • Love's Tender Fury (Marietta Danver Trilogy, #1)
  • Pale Moon Rider
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Black Swan
  • Triumph (Florida Civil War, #6)
  • Savage Surrender
  • Night in Eden
Kathleen Erin Hogg was born on June 3, 1939, in Alexandria, Louisiana, she was the youngest of eight siblings by Gladys (Coker) and Charles Wingrove Hogg, a disabled World War I veteran. She long relished creating original narratives, and by age 6 was telling herself stories at night to help herself fall asleep. At age 16, she met U.S. Air Force Second Lieutenant Ross Eugene Woodiwiss at a dance, ...more
More about Kathleen E. Woodiwiss...

“It was terrible of you," Shanna pouted, but her eyes danced as they turned askance to meet his. "I could have left, you know. I was that angry."
"I would have followed you," Ruark assured with a flash of white teeth. "You have my heart and my baby. You would not have escaped.”
37 likes
“In your madness you said you loved me," she murmured shyly.

His humor fled, and the smile left her lips as she continued, "You said it before, too. When the storm struck, I asked you to love me, and you said you did." Her voice was the barest of whispers.

Ruark's gaze turned away from her, and he rubbed the bandage on his leg before he spoke. "Strange that madness should speak the truth, but truth it is." He met her questioning eyes directly. "Aye, I love you." The pain of longing marked his face with a momentary sadness. "And that is madness, in all truth."

Shanna raised herself form his side and sat on her heels, staring down at him. "Why do you love me?" Her tone was wondrous. "I beset you at every turn. I deny you as a fit mate. I have betrayed you into slavery and worse. There is no sanity in your plea at all. How can you love me?"

"Shanna! Shanna! Shanna!" he sighed, placing his fingers on her hand and gently tracing the lines of her finely boned fingers. "What man would boast the wisdom of his love? How many time has this world heard, 'I don't care, I love.' Do I count your faults and sins to tote them in a book?"

...

"I dream of unbelievable softness. I remember warmth at my side the likes of which can set my heart afire. I see in the dark before me softly glowing eyes of aqua, once tender in a moment of love, then flashing with defiance and anger, now dark and blue with some stirring I know I have caused, now green and gay with laughter spilling from them. There is a form within my arms that I tenderly held and touched. There is that one who has met my passion with her own and left me gasping."

Ruark caressed Shanna's arm and turned her face to him, making her look into his eyes and willing her to see the truth in them as he spoke.

"My beloved Shanna. I cannot think of betrayal when I think of love. I can count no denials when I hold you close. I only wait for that day when you will say, 'I love."

Shanna raised her hands as if to plead her case then let them fall dejectedly on her knees. Tears coursed down her cheeks, and she begged helplessly, "But I do not want to love you." She began to sob. "You are a colonial. You are untitled, a murderer condemned, a rogue, a slave. I want a name for my children. I want so much more of my husband." She rolled her eyes in sudden confusion. "And I do not want to hurt you more."

Ruark sighed and gave up for the moment. He reached out and gently wiped away the tears as they fell. "Shanna, love," he whispered tenderly, "I cannot bear to see you cry. I will not press the matter for a while. I only beg you remember the longest journey is taken a step at a time. My love can wait, but it will neither yield nor change.”
11 likes