Start by marking “Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible: Seven Radical Principles That Will Transform Your Business” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
From an internationally renowned forecaster and corporate strategist comes a systematic, easy-to-implement method for developing radically new ways of identifying new business opportunities and solving readers' most difficult problems.
Published January 18th 2011 by HarperBusiness (first published December 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Flash Foresight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flash Foresight

Jim
Apr 13, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
I heard Mr. Burrus at an IT service management conference this year (Pink15). He was exceptionally interesting so I picked up his book. His ideas on hard and soft trending, getting rid of rear-view mirrors, stop worrying about information and constantly driving home the pace of change requires us to constantly change were really thoughtful. I appreciated his insight regarding less cooperation and more collaboration. He makes a compelling argument for changes to our education system, why competit ...more
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible by Daniel Burrus and John David Mann was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

Attempting to see into the future of business is a bit like interpreting the quatrains of the 16th century “seer” Nostradamus. The predictions are often varied and can be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in numerous ways. In Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossib
Bill Palmer
Jun 14, 2013 Bill Palmer rated it really liked it
Predict the future with confidence! You can, according to Daniel Burrus, and you won’t need a crystal ball or tarot cards. With a little training, you’ll be able to identify the “hard trends” that will shape your industry. At the same time, you’ll unearth the opportunities of the future.

In Flash Foresight: How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible, Burrus provides the reader with what he dubs as seven “radical principles” that conjure up the flash foresights of the future. He developed this
Sam
Apr 25, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
A colleague who I respect recommended this book saying it had significantly influenced his way of thinking. I picked it up and wasn't disappointed. There is tremendous insight into understanding the future and being able to proverbially move to where the pick will be by looking at hard and soft trends.

In today's ever accelerating environment, one needs to constantly change to keep up let alone get ahead. Flash Foresight shows how to thrive in this environment.
Mike Gibbs
Nov 07, 2011 Mike Gibbs rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book about how to take advantage of the pockets of certainty that we have regarding the future. Burrus does a great job of pointing out different trends that are sure to continue into the future (such as increased mobility, bandwidth, and convergence of features that used to be standalone products into a single product) to use as a way of predicting where the future will lead.

Probably the best takeaway from this book that I had was to remember that when it comes to planning
Larry Rinaldi
Nov 22, 2014 Larry Rinaldi rated it it was amazing
The insights in this book are plentiful and beyond relevant fornour times. Daniel Burrus shares his experience, knowledge, and ingenious insights about how to live in the future by living today and cultivating flash foresight! I wish everyone could read this book.
February Four
Jul 18, 2015 February Four rated it it was amazing
Principles are a good thing, and this book actually teaches the "how" rather than the "what". I may buy a copy for our bookshelves.
Bill Hunter
Feb 01, 2014 Bill Hunter rated it liked it
Not sure what all the hype is about. Some good points but I found it clunky and a lot of the concepts in the taxonomy presented are reverse engineered into very shallow 'real life' examples.

Burrus is obviously very accomplished and I don't think the book conveys what he's all about very week which is a pity.

The book spends 80% of it's time on some pretty obvious technological 'foresights' and only 20% on the art of strategic foresight itself. Would have loved to have seen more actual methodologi
Dunrie
Nov 21, 2013 Dunrie rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to, business
I heard Burrus speak at the Vistage Michigan CEO Summit in September. The book overlaps with his talk a fair bit, and is a good refresher if you've heard him speak and introduction if you have not.
He illustrates his process with anecdotes/mini-case-studies from familiar (= big name) companies such as Apple, Maytag, Amazon, Zappos, as well as the Detroit Public School District and some other educational settings.
His action steps at the end of most chapters are useful, otherwise it is easy to let
Capa
Not bad

There is some useful information regarding what you need to be looking at and how to go about coming up with a prognosis for the future. Some things are glossed over, though, and should be fleshed out in better detail, like how to identify hard trends.
Daniel
Jan 16, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Burrus really opened my eyes to possibilities by advocating looking to the future, skip the main problem, and doing the opposite.
Julie
Mar 17, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an audio book and kept wishing I had a highlighter handy. There was enough interesting points that were pertinent to my accounting business that I found it beneficial particularly when he talked about dematerialization This as definitely impacted my firm in the past 4 years.

He also encouraged me to ask better questions regarding the future of the firm and how I would like to see technology change the way I do business
Teri Temme
Oct 27, 2012 Teri Temme rated it it was amazing
This book is guaranteed to change your thinking about the future. It lays out the strategy and steps to "see" the future. Fascinating. And because I love learning this is one of my favorite quotes: "...the simple physics of it: when you share a physical resource with someone else, your own store depletes - but when you share knowledge, it increases."
Neil
Oct 17, 2011 Neil rated it really liked it
Shelves: already
Burrus highlights some key frameworks for where technology is taking us in the future. A lot of his examples are inspiring, and a lot of them are slightly obvious. Nevertheless, Burrus has some very valuable points in this book and it is worth reading for anyone either in business or interested in technology.
Martin Goldberg
Aug 27, 2014 Martin Goldberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Excellent read. Anyone seriously interested in where our current technological revolution is heading should read this book. Makes your head spin. But exciting all the same.
Warren
Aug 16, 2012 Warren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: future-studies
Typical business book. The substance could be summed up in a few sentences but then the authors go on and on with their examples with so-called clients like Billy Bob whom they're always having lunch with. If you want a more serious read on foresight there are better books around.
Pravin Boddu
Oct 19, 2013 Pravin Boddu rated it really liked it
Interesting perspectives.
May be, I have applied some of them already.
Hopefully, in future when faced with a challenging problem, I will have a "Click moment" with one of the strategies from "Flash Foresight"
I liked that he kept all concepts and stories to the point...
Shimron Trammell
Dec 13, 2013 Shimron Trammell rated it it was amazing
Daniel Burrus may be a bit annoying to some but I found his insights into how to think about "what's next" amazing. A definite read if you are in the product development field or you just want to think about ways to do things better.
Jason Vanzin
Jan 12, 2013 Jason Vanzin rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This was a very good book about how to stay ahead in the ever changing landscape in which we live. It was chalk full of examples and great insights. Now I have to go back through and take notes on all the parts I highlighted.
Rich
Sep 25, 2015 Rich rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Highly recommend for "would be or future entrepreneurs".
Naomi
Sep 09, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
Even though I don't work for or own a big corporation, I found this book to be an interesting read on how to look at problems and plan for the future in uncommon but helpful ways.
Sharon
Jan 12, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Terrific book for transforming your business to take advantage of the numerous tech/social/environmental changes ahead. An inspiring read.
Brent Mair
Feb 20, 2012 Brent Mair marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
I made it to page 97 and I think the book will be valuable to me but I've lost interest at this time.
Zeno
Jan 11, 2014 Zeno rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot, unexpectedly. So, I'm giving it a perfect score. I needed this now more than ever.
Eliot
Jul 30, 2014 Eliot rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
Really enjoyed this book. Good systems for spotting trends and predicting the future.
Char Gust
I enjoyed reading this book. I hope to find ways to apply these concepts ASAP
Holly Green
Feb 14, 2012 Holly Green rated it it was amazing
excellent read! Filled with important tips on thriving in today's world.
Jamie L
Aug 03, 2012 Jamie L rated it it was amazing
1 of the best business books I've read in a while.
Mike Rogero
Aug 06, 2011 Mike Rogero rated it it was amazing
good brain caffeine...!
Rick
Apr 10, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed
Excellent ideas!
  • Talk Less, Say More: 3 Habits to Influence Others and Make Things Happen
  • What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales
  • The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution
  • Crunch Point: The 21 Secrets to Succeeding When It Matters Most
  • People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • Baked In: Creating Products and Businesses That Market Themselves
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • The New How: Creating Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, ACT, Relate
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • True Professionalism: The Courage to Care About Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career
  • Social Boom!: How to Master Business Social Media to Brand Yourself, Sell Yourself, Sell Your Product, Dominate Your Industry Market, Save Your Butt, Rake in the Cash, and Grind Your Competition Into the Dirt
  • Juicing the Orange: How to Turn Creativity into a Powerful Business Advantage
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators
  • The Entrepreneurial Mindset: Strategies for Continuously Creating Opportunity in an Age of Uncertainty

“It used to be that the big ate the small; now it’s the fast that eat the slow. Fast is the new big.” 1 likes
“To a startling extent, in other words, our vision of the future is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Change your view of the future, and you direct your future.” 0 likes