Start by marking “Call Me Ishmael Tonight: A Book of Ghazals” as Want to Read:
Call Me Ishmael Tonight: A Book of Ghazals

Call Me Ishmael Tonight: A Book of Ghazals

The beloved Kashmiri-American poet Agha Shahid Ali presents his own American ghazals. Calling on a line or phrase from fellow poets, Ali salutes those known and loved—W. S. Merwin, Mark Strand, James Tate, and more—while in other searingly honest verse he courageously faces his own mortality.
Published October 17th 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me Ishmael Tonight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me Ishmael Tonight

Apr 30, 2011 S. rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2011
I like ghazals and this poet was a great promoter of the form in America. I enjoyed reading these because of my interest in writing in this form.

To be honest I'm ambivalent about some points of the ghazal form, like including one's name or alias in the penultimate line. I'm not a fan of that. I think self-referencing in poems is hard to pull off without self-importance, although some do it well (Leonard Nathan, for example). In reading, as in looking at art, I would like to concentrate on the w
Helene Pilibosian
Mar 02, 2015 Helene Pilibosian rated it it was amazing
I knew nothing about ghazals, a form of poetry, until I read this book. The author is certainly a master of the form, which is different from the usual American poetry. He writes of love and grief with tremendous understanding in lines such as "they left him alive so that he could be lonely." He reaches magnificent imagery such as "the air is my vinegar, I, its perfect preserve." I could not have asked for a book of poems with more beauty and with more understanding for the suffering of human be ...more
Jul 02, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Beautiful, the ghazal! Beautiful the soul that wrote these poems.

When through night's veil they continue to seep, stars
in infant galaxies begin to weep stars.

After the eclipse, there were no cheap stars
How can you be so cheap, stars?

How grateful I am you stay awake with me
till by dawn, like you, I'm ready to sleep, stars!

If God sows sunset embers in you, Shahid,
all night, because of you, the world will reap stars.
Feb 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Very disappointing. I love ghazals, but this collection did nothing for me. The form feels utterly forced and misplaced, the content crowded with poetic and literary references - a big wink to everyone in the know. I wouldn't mind the cleverness, I suppose, if the resulting couplets earned it. They didn't.
Jul 20, 2010 Pamela rated it it was ok
Good as an example of ghazals, but I connected with only a few poems.
Mar 04, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it
Last fall, I scored a collection of 50-60 Indian LPs at a local thrift store. Several of these were recordings of ghazals put to music. It was a literary form I'd never heard of before. The music was beautiful - performers from Pakistan, the Kashmir region and western India. Harmonium, tabla and other instruments set the backdrop for stunning lyrical explorations in Urdu, Persian or Arabic (and I can't understand a word of any of it). I loved the expressiveness of it, even with my ignorance of t ...more
Jun 21, 2010 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-request
I stumbled upon this in my local library and read half before I'd exited the building. Ghazals are from an ancient poetic tradition, used by Rumi and later Goethe. Ali was a proponent of the form, and wrote these in English (first to do so, I seem to recall). This is an excellent book.

Four years later, I've borrowed the book again to reread, a sign that I should buy myself a copy.
Oct 27, 2008 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, mfa-3rd-term
Moments of real beauty, but on the whole much less powerful than I expected. I would love to understand how these poems rank within the ghazal tradition, as to me they often seemed disjointed and heavy -- quite the opposite of what I understand the music of the form to be.
Jan 12, 2014 Malia rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2014-reads
There were plenty of poems in here that didn't work for me, but the ones that did were just dazzling. I love ghazals because of the inherent vulnerability of having to name yourself in them, plus the kind of wordplay the form requires.
Jul 13, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is my favorite of Agha Shahid Ali's books. These ghazals are consistently engaging, surprising, and starkly beautiful. The amazing trick here is that the form so solidly carries through the book.
CT rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Antoinette rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2009
Rittvika rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2008
Hero Sheero
Hero Sheero rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Nancy rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2010
Lucy rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2007
Jared rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Brandon rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Bruna Dantas Lobato
Bruna Dantas Lobato rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Harshit Misra
Harshit Misra rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Shawna rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2008
Nic rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Qureshi rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Pat rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
Norman rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Walt rated it really liked it
May 15, 2008
  • Fuck You-Aloha-I Love You
  • Blue Hour
  • Cocktails
  • The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers
Agha Shahid Ali (आगा शाहीद अली) was an American poet of Kashmiri ancestry and upbringing.

His poetry collections include A Walk Through the Yellow Pages, The Half-Inch Himalayas, A Nostalgist's Map of America, The Country Without a Post Office, Rooms Are Never Finished (finalist for the National Book Award, 2001). His last book was Call Me Ishmael Tonight, a collection of English ghazals. His poems
More about Agha Shahid Ali...