Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)

Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,593 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Benny and his friend Mike are in trouble when they are curious about a uranium mine.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Mike's Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mike's Mystery

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series. I am collecting the first original 19 books of this series.

Mike's Mystery could probably be said to have the first full blown mystery for the children to solve. All the previous books "mystery" was simply finding out the identity of mysterious strangers but this time we have a crime: arson, a witness: Mike's dog, and a couple of clues: a blue hat and a picture in a newspaper. We get a sense of real detecting going on for the children now. Mike's Mystery is...more
Klaudia Janek
This book is about Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny who go to visit their Aunt Jane’s house over the summer. The is the 5th book in the Boxcar Children series and builds on the 4th book in the series titled “Mystery Ranch”. The mystery in this story is a case of arson. The house by Aunt Jane’s burns down, leaving a few clues for the Boxcar Children to solve. Mike is Benny’s friend and the day after Benny met him, his house burned down. Mike is being blamed for the arson, but thankfully his frien...more
Elevetha
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Darlina Tato
This book is the 5th book of the Boxcar Children Series. This book is about Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny that go to visit their Aunt's house over the summer. While they are in town they meet their friend Mike and the next day they find out that Mike's house has been burned down. Mike is being responsible for the burn. The children working together need to prove Mike's innocence by finding the real person who burned down the house. With the help of Mr. Carter the children found a blue hat, an...more
Irene
May 18, 2013 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

I really liked this book! I liked having a more realistic personality like Mike mixing things up with the always well-behaved, always polite and proper Alden children. Mike keeps it real.

Also, once again, we have a real mystery on our hands, which was interesting. This time, it's a case of arson. The kids - but mostly Benny - get into trying to solve the case, but in the end, the uncovering of important clues was more a random discovery than the r...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
Dated and stilted. The first Boxcar Children book was about a small family of children living in an abandoned boxcar, and had charm even if it was full or archaic and wooden prose. This takes that all out and drops them into a very bland mystery.

The kids visit Mystery ranch and see a uranium mine (!) in a place called Yellow Sands. A kid named Mike is accused of setting a fire to burn down a house, but the Children help him out a little as he solves the mystery. All of this is done with a prose...more
Meredith Buchanan
We’re up to book five of Gertrude’s opus, which is Mike’s Mystery. Come with me on this magical journey.

I’m surprised to find that the Boxcar children haven’t abandoned Aunt Jane at her farmhouse and then immediately forgotten about her. Disappointingly, they are going to visit her again. Probably because now they own her home and all her land, which is bringing them in billions (hundreds) of dollars, and they need to keep an eye on their investment and make sure the old biddy isn’t spending all...more
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma. We did the majority of the book (100 pages) in one afternoon. She wanted desperately to know what happened next, but I felt the plot was severely lacking. I guess my memory from reading these growing up is super foggy. We are going to need some different books to scratch Emma's mystery story bug!
Aravis
I like when Mike finds out they have a mystery. They find out a man in a blue hat is trying to burn the mine. In one part Watch and Spotty do a race. In the middle of the race Spotty digs up a blue hat and Watch digs up a can. Then one day they find out that the man is hiding in the dark and Spotty caught him.
Miri
The Alden Children and their grandfather are back at the Mystery Ranch which is now surrounded by a booming mining town. They meet Mike there, a friend of Benny's and when his home burns now, and arson is suspected, the Alden children are determined to find out who would do this and why!
Alisha
The Boxcar Children, Mike’s Mystery, written by Gertrude Chandler Warner, take us on another adventure with Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny. In this book the children run into an old friend, Mike. Mike has been blamed for starting a fire and need the kids help. Read along as Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny help to clear their old friend’s name. This series of books is filled with action and adventure designed to help enhance the reading of any child. Each book has a wonderful way of keeping the...more
Nevada Libert
LOVED IT, SO DID THE BOYS:)
Danielle
The gang revisits the URANIUM mine and help figure out who burned a house down. Not surprising, they all live happily ever after. Until the radiation kills them. :-)
♥Xeni♥
First off, I read these Boxcar Children books when I was a lot younger. There were some that I would read over and over and others that I read once and chucked to the back of my bookcase. Overall, though, I loved them all.

Mike's Mystery bugged me, though, since Mike bugged me. He was like Benny, only more annoying (and Benny was already pretty darn annoying). Thus, the 2 star rating. (The character broke the book for me).
Traci
I just finished this book tonight with my kids and we love the Boxcar Books...they are so fun and simple for children to read and yet they are entertaining enough for parents to enjoy while reading them to their children. We will continue...there are many more to be read!
Carolyn
My 7 year old likes this series and I can see why - children who solve mysteries that adults can't; children who get to act like adults and do things like buy stoves, etc. --- but for me, this book was kind of lame. Definitely written in the 1950's.
NaDell
I love these old stories. They have ways of brightening my day and I like that I can read them in an hour and just enjoy the whole thing without worrying about content and imagine myself living in the fifties.
Joshua Jacobson
Another great Boxcar Children book. The kids loved every bit of it. These stories are incredibly simple and easy to read, but still very fun. Can't wait to keep pressing on with the series.
Heatherf
The only reason I didn't give this volume 3 stars was the character Mike. He seemed very whiny and I hop he won't recur in other volumes. Great story though. Well written and easy to read.
Ashle Oaks
I enjoyed this story. Mainly because Mike isn't perfect and always polite, so he actually acts likes a real person. This is also the only real mystery in the series so far.
Alexandra
In this book I was glad that Mike showed up but he was nicer than before. I think that this mystery was very mysterious, but it showed the kind qualities of the Boxcar Children.
Kathryn
Andrew
I LIKED MIKE.HE WANTED THE DOGS TO GO WITH HIM.
I DONT LIKE THAT 2 KIDS WERE ARGUING. IT WAS ANNOYING TO ME.
Srivardhan Ramesh
interesting mystery but a bit childish.
i would rather recommend this book for 10-year olds
Elizabeth
Not one of my favorite because it involved outside characters. Still enjoyable.
SmokeyPookie
Caitlin is really enjoying this series at age 7. Ian has no interest.
Elizabeth
I have this in hardback and paperback and it's so much fun having both!
Hailey E.
I am tired of Box Car books, I think this will be the last one
Genevieve
this is...its......umm........well.....o.k. i guess.
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Race Against Time (Nancy Drew, #66)
  • Mandie and the Medicine Man (Mandie Books, #6)
  • The Ninth Nugget (A to Z Mysteries, #14)
  • The Littles Go Exploring
  • Leprechauns Don't Play Basketball (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #4)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...
The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1) Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2) The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4) The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3) Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)