Start by marking “Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)

Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  3,320 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Eccentric Aunt Jane needs help on her ranch. The Aldens overturn a plot against her.
Published (first published November 30th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery Ranch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery Ranch

Sirena
The Boxcar Children is one of the first books I remember reading all by my self as a child in the 80's. I loved the Alden's, that much I remember, but I do not remember the stories. Because of that, I decided to re-read at least a few Boxcar Children books.
When I went to the library I was amazed at how many episodes there are. There are well over 100! I always thought they went to about 20 or 30. I tried to find some of the first books so I grabbed what I thought was number 3 and 4. What I go...more
Cathrine Bonham
The Alden children started the first book as orphans without anyone to take care of them except each other. Now their family has become even bigger with the discovery that their Grandfather has an older sister living on a ranch out west. The two siblings are estranged but James Alden is willing to bet that his grandkids can melt his sister's bitterness. And he's right.

The mystery in this book revolves around strange men who offer to buy Great Aunt Jane's ranch. Why do they want it so bad and how...more
Miri
Violet and Jessi Alden go to their grandfathers old family ranch to visit his elderly sister who is in poor health and is a very grouchy old woman. Upon their arrival they discover Jane Alden isn't really ill, she is just bored and depressed and not eating, and soon their presence cheers her up and her attitude changes. Soon enough Henry and Benny arrive at the ranch as well and the children soon discover men lurking around trying to buy the ranch from their aunt Jane. What could they want with...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This is part of my Random Bookshelf Reading project. I'm also working on re-reading this series and collecting the first 19.

This book takes a small turn from the formula of the first three. First the boxcar is not mentioned at all, not even in reminiscences of the past, and the children do not this time go off on their own and make do in the wilderness. First we see cousin Joe and Alice sent off to Europe for summer vacation on the first page. This allows the introduction of...more
Miss
Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny Alden wanted to know why their grandfather was sad. He learned that his sister was living on their family ranch, lonely. He heard this from her neighbor who takes care of her. The children agreed to visit the ranch to cheer her up. The children learned that the grandfather and their aunt had not spoken for many years because their grandfather wanted to see the ranch and she didn't. So she remained on the ranch. They also learned that some men were searching the l...more
Irene
Apr 28, 2013 Irene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Meredith Buchanan
This book starts out with a bang, naturally, as Grandfather comes in and slams the door. And then slams another door. And he only said ‘hello,’ to Benny, instead of his normal, long-suffering pandering! That’s how Benny knows something is wrong. He immediately goes to Jessie and Violet with this distressing news, but they don’t know what to do, presumably because they’re girls and this is a man’s problem, so they shout for Henry, who girds his loins and leads the troops down to barge through the...more
Elaine
I would say I generally like all of the Boxcar series, but some stories are more engaging than others. They're kids books, written a long time ago, when life was simpler, and I like that feel to them. The mysteries aren't usually that mysterious, and it's not a super-exciting action type of book, but they do keep the kids interested in finding out what will happen next, and what clue will they find, and sometimes a surprise ending. There's so many in the series, I'm not going to review them all....more
Angela
I ignored the outdated elements in the story and just enjoyed it for the simple yet engaging story it is. My 9-year-old and I have been reading these at the same time, and she's enjoying them so much I'm having trouble keeping up with her. This was our favorite of the series so far, although she tells me that she loved the next book too!
Leto
Two children start to go on a train ride and there is a man on the same train that was so kind but was a stranger. He took down the bags off of the things that hold suitcases and the kind man was named Mr. Carter. They got to a ranch but it wasn't running anymore.

I liked this book because it was an interesting story!

[review by a seven year old, typed by his mama]
♥Xeni♥
First off, I loved the Boxcar Children as a child. Especially the plot of the first book! They are probably why I can't enjoy mystery books anymore (I figure out the end way too soon) but at least I get the mystery solved! (My most favorite character? It would change all the time, since all four children have their aspects! But I always thought that if it was reflected onto me and my three siblings, I'd be Henry, personality wise, and Jessie age wise!)

As to the Mystery Ranch: I didn't like this...more
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma and Will. They are fans of the series (as I was growing up), but this one was pretty lacking in the mystery department and even the plot in general. I'll probably still read through these in order with them, but we'll wait a bit before reading the next one.
Kelsie
Awesome children's read! i remember this being my favorite box car children from the ones I have read! If your looking for an easy children's read this could be your book! The author did a great job!!
Melissa
Such simple, old fashioned story lines, but they must be timeless in their own special way because my kiddos can't get enough of them! We flew through this one and my kids want to know when we can get the next one!
Kathy
The kids want to cheer their grandfather up because he have not talk to his sister.They went to their aunt's house .In the ending why are he kids sliming if they are happy so much?
Rachel
This book reminded me why I have am am so endeared to this book series! :D I love the sweetness of the children and their compassion and love for one another, their family and friends, and people. This story the Alden children, Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny visit their cranky old great-aunt on her ranch for the summer. But there is a mystery man about the place, as well as three men trying to take Aunt Jane's ranch from her! And how will they be able to get their aunt to like them?

I love the...more
Aravis
I like Mystery Ranch because they get to meet their aunt. But, they realize that she is very cross. They find out that Jessie, Violet, Henry, and Benny make her happy.
Alexis
Tyra
I actually didn't read this one Alex listened to it in audible and really liked it.
Kelsey
At the begining the childrenn are at there grandfathers house were they live now. Grandfather comes home upset abuot his sister. the children ask him wats rong. he told his the problem. So Violet and Jessie go to there ant Janes ranch. once they are there for few weeks Ant Jane wants the other two boys to come to come.when they are all there are all there there for about a week Ant Jane anounced that they were good children and she is giving them the ranch.the rest of the book talks abouhow the...more
Ashley Bowen
I love how they own a ranch and a island.
Brinli
This book is as well good like the others; it has that really mystery feeling that just captures a readers mind. I liked this book because I relate to living on the ranch so thought it would be fun to read and after flipping through the pages its pretty cool. I liked how all four children figure out more and more discoveries after another especially about their aunt. I would recommend to other young readers whoever like mystery books to read and it will take you on an adventure.
Kallen Kentner
Without giving anything away, the plot of this book makes it obvious it was written a while ago. This book was written by the original creator of the series and the plot elements are a bit dated.

However, as a young child reading it, I never really thought about it and it makes sense from a young child's point of view. Regardless, I loved the boxcar children books as a child, but I don't remember Mystery Ranch ever being my favorite.
Ashle Oaks
I'm rereading the original 19 and this has to be my favorite one so far besides the first. This one focuses a bit more on the girls, especially Violet. It was nice to read things about Violet other than she was kind and sickly. The book definitely shows it age with the way everyone treats the uranium. I don't know much about uranium, but I do know that it's not something you should touch with your bare hands.
Kristine Pratt
Andrew Jameson
Me
If I were to ever add every boxcar book I've read, it would be over 140 books! The better ones were the one written by Warner herself.I myself am not so quite sure how I continued reading them it was just the perfect family,The sisters never fought, the brothers never farted, and they all seemed so very in love? so not like mine. :(
julie
Aidan greatly enjoyed this despite the dated nature... I mean finding a radioactive substance on your property these days would probably cause panic as well as celebration for the income that the mine provides... and decorating your home with it? Probably not the best idea!
  • The Happy Hollisters (Happy Hollisters, #1)
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #3)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • The Clue in the Jewel Box (Nancy Drew, #20)
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • The Disappearing Floor (Hardy Boys, #19)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...
The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1) Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2) The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4) The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3) The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)