Start by marking “Tales of Juha: Clasic Arab Folk Humour (International Folk Tales)” as Want to Read:
Tales of Juha: Clasic Arab Folk Humour (International Folk Tales)

Tales of Juha: Clasic Arab Folk Humour (International Folk Tales)

Juha is an old Arab comic literary figure around whom countless anecdotes were written. He appears variously as preacher and beggar, thief and honest man, judge and social critic, Jester and charlatan. While the subject matter is Arab or otherwise Islamic, the humor transcends national and cultural boundaries.
Published October 11th 2007 by Interlink Books (first published October 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Juha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Juha

Tina
May 28, 2016 Tina added it
Shelves: inspired-writing
Blog | Pinterest | Twitter | Booktube | Booklikes | Instagram | Google+ | Tumblr

I love this. If my brothers and I at any time were boastful or they were trying too hard to act macho, my family would ask them if they were trying to be like Antar (Antar and Abla, in my mother's words, are like the Romeo and Juliet of the Middle East; Antar was well known for chivalry and bravado etc. etc.). Juha is another character (like Antar) who's widely known through the Arab world. As my father put it, if an
James F
Aug 14, 2016 James F rated it liked it
A collection of mediaeval Arabic humorous folk anecdotes attached to the name of Juha, a sort of Arab Till Eulenspiegal. Some are funny, some not so funny, some old chestnuts we have all heard a thousand times attached to other characters, few that anyone would find offensive. There is a certain amount of satire of wealth and political corruption. A quick, fun read.
Ðɑηηɑ
Jun 21, 2014 Ðɑηηɑ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Every religious bud/child who likes humor - no matter what religion, Juha comes in all forms
Juha comes in many versions, I know the Jewish-African Juha and the East-European Hershale. Both classic Juha. So, so humoristic!
Grady McCallie
Nov 10, 2013 Grady McCallie rated it really liked it
This brief book - easily read in an evening -- collects translated versions of various jokes and short folktales about the Arabic trickster/ character Juha. The collection is edited by Salma Khadra Jayyusi, which is what initially brought me to it - she's edited a long list of other excellent anthologies. She has a short introduction explaining how the book came to be; another introduction unfortunately focuses fruitlessly on the nature of the humor in the stories - humor is almost always pointl ...more
Aoitif Mourchid
Oct 13, 2015 Aoitif Mourchid rated it it was amazing
Amazingly wonderful! I remember these as being my favorite childhood tales that I read in Arabic. It's time now to revisit them in English. Great work is done here by the remarkable Salma Jayyusi. I truly respect this academic for being such a great representative of Arabic literature in particular and the Arabian heritage in general.
Adam001
Feb 24, 2016 Adam001 rated it it was amazing
Tahira Khan
Tahira Khan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Majd
Majd marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Reveriegal
Reveriegal marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Maitham Shayyal
Maitham Shayyal marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Ayien
Ayien added it
Feb 21, 2016
Rahni
Rahni marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Shazeena Saeed
Shazeena Saeed marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Violaine
Violaine marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Tasneem
Tasneem rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
David Thompson
David Thompson rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Ghaniyyah Olaitan
Ghaniyyah Olaitan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Salimalen
Salimalen marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Khaled
Khaled marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Ehsanul
Ehsanul marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Myname
Myname rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Sam Gjusein
Sam Gjusein marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Omar Mohammad
Omar Mohammad marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Yasmin Chowdhury
Yasmin Chowdhury marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Dr. Abdul
Dr. Abdul marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Murshidul
Murshidul marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Elaine Kelley
Elaine Kelley marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Salma Khadra Jayyusi (born 1926 or 1927) is a Jordanian-Palestinian poet, writer, translator and anthologist. She is the founder and director of the Project of Translation from Arabic (PROTA), which aims to provide translation of Arabic literature into English.

In 1960, she published her first poetry collection, Return from the Dreamy Fountain. In 1970, she received her PhD on Arabic literature fro
More about Salma Khadra Jayyusi...