Start by marking “The Color of Death” as Want to Read:
The Color of Death

The Color of Death (Rarities Unlimited #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,738 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The name Elizabeth Lowell has become synonymous with electrifying fiction that seamlessly combines suspense, intrigue, and passion. And now the phenomenal New York Times bestselling author brilliantly displays her incomparable talents in a story of treachery, greed, conspiracy, and murder that will hold the reader spellbound until the final word.

It is the opportunity of a
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Death

krisy
Jan 11, 2014 krisy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to krisy by: mom (never listening to her again)

i didn't even bother finishing it because i just really care about my own health and well-being.
Emily
Kate Chandler is a gem cutter whose brother was killed when acting as a courier for a group of gems she cut, brilliant sapphires known as the Seven Sins. Special Agent Sam Groves is on a special task force trying to figure out who is roughing up gem couriers and stealing the contents of their deliveries. When Kate tries to get the FBI to look into her brother's death, she gets a death threat of her own, and no one at the FBI will take her seriously except Sam.
This book is part of a series known
Maura
Robin
When Gem Cutter Kate Chandler's brother, Lee, disappears with the seven rare Blue Sapphires called the Seven Sins, she worries that something terrible has happened to him. The FBI believe he stole the precious stones and left the country. So, she beings investigating herself. FBI Agent Sam Groves is assigned to a task force trying to stop the rise in gem thefts. When he sees Kate stealing a sapphire from a gem dealer, he tracks her down thinking she will lead him to the organization behind the t ...more
Robyn Smith
i can't be bothered reviewing this book, except ot say I won't be reading any others by this writer.
Theoretically, this book sounds like something that I would have enjoyed immensely: sex and brutal murders.

The reality of this book was a little bit on the dry side. The romance between Sam and Kate often overshadowed the murders to the point of absurdity. I often found myself muttering "just bang already" over and over until they actually did.
And when they finally did throw all sense out of the window and had sex, it left me feeling sort of empty. There was so much build up of their sexual rel
Anita Truong
To be brief, The Color of Death was not a terrible book--it just also wasn’t a very focused book. At least not until somewhere in the middle did the main conflict stop meandering in and out. I had trouble concentrating for the first half of this book because there seemed to be too much going on despite how seemingly straight-tracked the story progression was. Sure, everything tied together properly, and the suspense and murder mystery was a sure-in from the get-go.

But the different scenes and th
Linda
I actually started this book a few days ago and thought I had added it to my read shelf, but guess I messed up somehow. Anyway, finished the book this morning. Although this book wasn't one of the Donovan family/St. Kilda suspense stories, it followed the same general premise. A young woman (Kate) who is a gem cutter, is out to find out what happened to her half-brother, Lee, who was a gem courier and was transporting some sapphires that she had cut for a client. Lee disappears and so do the gem ...more
Bree
Elizabeth Lowell has a habit of writing about jewels. In this eBook, Kate Chandler is a skilled cutter, shaping a unique set of sapphires that end up costing her brother his life. Kate is strong, and a bit pushy, just how I like my modern heroines. She's determined to get to the bottom of the mystery of the sapphires and her brother, with or without the FBI. While she's taking her search to the next level, we encounter the hero. Sam isn't your typical hero. He's a bit rough around the edges, an ...more
Ana T.
I had some trouble grading this book. This is a romantic suspense story, however I never felt I knew enough of the characters or the story to care about them and be intrigued.

Kate's half brother has disappeared with a fortune in jewels. Kate, who is a gem cutter, is trying to find the truth and very much fearing he is dead. The cops classified said disappearence as voluntary and she must be discreet because she has received death threats.

Sam Groves is an FBI agent who watches Kate switching a sa
Angela
Librarirun
Because it took me way too long to finish this (mostly my fault) it was chopped up - but I still did not enjoy it as much as I do her most recently published novels. The entire turning point of the novel (when they figure out who the bad guy is) happens in one sentence, at the beginning of a chapter, about 310 pages in (on my Nook) and it happens when one of the main characters wakes up the next day - and says, "I wonder if so-and-so is doing it?" I mean - it's that blunt and so random - I know ...more
Pamela
This is the second book of E. Lowell's I've read and it is now my last. This book was worse than her other one (see my review of "Innocent as Sin"). This book was about stolen gem stones and murder. The book went into way too much detail about gem stones. The author might as well have written a book about it instead of a suspense novel (if you could call it suspense).

Just like the other book I read of hers, this one also ended abruptly. There was no explanation given as to why the thief/killer
Joanna
At first, I found the number of characters and POV changes quite confusing. Still, it turned out to be a really good, well balanced, simple, light read with likeable characters, lots of action and a little bit of romance :).

I had read Lowell's "Tell me no lies" before (which is somewhat similar but with a bit weaker female character and more romantic scenes) and I definitely liked "The color of death" better :). Still, it might disappoint you, if you're looking for a typical romance or for some
Cupcakencorset
Although this book is listed as the 4th in the Rarities Unlimited series, it has nothing at all to do with the previous three. There is no overlap in the characters (employees of the company from which the series name was derived) or even in the theme (mystical qualities associated with antiquities), and I found that very distracting in the first third of the book, as I kept expecting the cast of characters to shift to include those people. When that didn’t occur, I let it go, but I’m still puzz ...more
Wench
Elizabeth Lowell has a whole bunch of these action-mystery-romance mashups, most having to do with gemstones. Sometimes it's antiquities. Anyway. Expensive shit people would plausibly kill for. And there is always a lot of killing in these books, described in just enough detail to make sure you understand these are BAD. PEOPLE.

This is more of the same. I don't know if it's because I've read a lot of these or if I'm just getting better at it in general, but I pegged the villain behind it all abo
Jan
good story about the gem trade

Twists and turns. Lots of interesting backstory about the world of gems and cutting of them. Very anti-bureaucracy/falsification of evidence--felt it distracting and a simplification/stereotype that bosses have all this time to plot the downfall of one poor diamond in rough slob.
Cathleen Ash
Kate's on a mission: find out what happened to her brother. As a world-class gem-cutter, she was commissioned to create seven rare, priceless sapphires - cutting them with precision - making them the only set of their kind in existence.
Sam, the FBI agent trying to track a ring of jewel thieves, follows her, thinking her actions at the jewel shows warrant more attention. He even thinks she may be involved with the gang who switched expensive stones for fakes.
Together, they might be able to figu
Nancy Wiltgen
First book by this author that I've read/listened to on CD. Although confusing at times, I thought it was entertaining and listening to it while on a long drive made the time pass quickly. I thought that I had it figured out several times but turns out that I was wrong.
Kathleen Freeman
Elizabeth Lowell writes totally engaging books and I have enjoyed each one I have read.
Christine
I didn't guess who it was. I enjoyed this.
Susan
Ugh. Was totally off balance with the first 3.
Bridget
The story was fine....but the "mushy" stuff seemed forced.
Batya7
A solid mystery, nothing stellar.
Viji
It is a fast paced thriller dealing with the intricacies of the gem trade.
Lisa Tsuruda
I am currently listening to this one! It focuses on a gem cutter and how she will not give up on the missing person's case for her half brother. She ends up with the help of FBI agent Sam and of course there's chemistry all over the place!!!! An interesting look at the gem world and how people kill couriers to intercept and take gems. I really hope they find the 7 Deadly Sins (a set of cut sapphires that the heroine has cut and has been missing just like her brother)! I'll keep you posted!
Barbara
Eh. Not bad but really, "mutt" eighteen thousand times. Distracting to say the least (at about 500). LOVED the sapphires. :-) And quite OK with the H/H.
Debbie
This book was slow moving, and had too many characters to follow along. It was not a smooth read lyrically speaking, and several times I felt myself stumbling over sentences that didn't make sense. I have read other Elizabeth Lowell books, but this is one I won't recommend! I only gave it 2 stars because of the Author, and the pretense of what the story was suppose to evoke. But since it came short it didn't reach past 2 stars.
Yona
I liked this book very much. This is the first book by Elizabeth Lowell, that i've read and I wasn't disappointed at all, i'm goint to read more books from this author.
The story was interesting and written pretty well. I lked the characters of Sam and Kate. And the way they fall in love in each other and how they managed to discover who is kileer of her brother.
I recommend this book to everyone.
Tammy
I didn't even bother finishing this book. I read part of it because I was desperate and waiting for my next amazon shipment. I read one of her other books 'Always Time To Die' and this was just more of the same. Main female character has some drama going on, male authority figure comes along and they are hot for each other, he helps her, blah blah blah. I couldn't stomach the same story again.
  • The Ruby
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera #3)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • Murder List (Buchanan-Renard #4)
  • Into the Fire (Troubleshooters, #13)
  • Long After Midnight
  • Always a Thief
  • Bait
  • No Way Out
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

Rarities Unlimited (4 books)
  • Moving Target (Rarities Unlimited, #1)
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3)