Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, from Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Ask any pie lover--the words "southern" and "pie" go together like ripe fruit and flaky pastry. And behind all the mouthwatering, light-as-a-cloud meringue peaks and the sticky dark butterscotch fillings lies a rich and delicious history. In Southern Pies, some of the South's most famous bakers share recipes for 70 pies. Perfect for bakers of all skill levels, these pies a...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books (CA)

Jennifer Parks
Every home cook has a few favorite cookbooks. You know the ones. The cookbooks are filled with easy to follow recipes that look amazing and taste even better. Full color photos accompany several of the recipes and much like a good restaurant, you can’t go wrong no matter which item you choose from the offerings. Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan by Nancie McDermott is just that kind of cookbook.

I got interested in recreating authentic southern p...more
Liz
Dec 28, 2011 Liz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Ah! Have fallen in instant love with this book--bean pie! fried green tomato pie! sweet tea pie! buttermilk pie!--and again I want to have a large party with lots of food . . . . I bought this for my mother-in-law today and then had to buy one for myself. Review coming soon, I hope!
Amy
I checked this out of the library and haven't made any of these pies yet. I plan to purchase this book just based on going through the recipes and the ratings here at GR. These are the pies of my childhood. I didn't realize just how many pies I grew up eating until now.

Whitney
This is a fantastic, easy to follow cookbook, which is great for me seeing as I'm not the best cook. While I've only made seven of the pies in this collection so far, every one of them has tasted wonderful. Southern Pies includes the classics as well as some more unique regional pies, including a green tomato pie that tasted like apples! I'd highly recommend this book to anyone interested in trying some new recipes. Good for cooks of all skill levels.
Matt Kruse
I've made a couple of the pies from this book, and they are great. The only reason it gets four stars instead of five is that some of the instructions are a bit vague (e.g. Peaches and Cream Pie doesn't specify that you need to include the flour and sugar that doesn't stick to the peaches when you coat them, or your cream won't thicken into a custard).
Autumn
I love this book dearly. I made two successful pies out of it already. Also, it explained what that white sauce my granny used to pour over the sonker is called. Nancie McDermott, I just want to hug your neck.
Cate
So many incredible offerings! I made the pecan pie, not using Karo syrup! Great! And the spiced pear pie looks wonderful, as does the peach sonker and the chocolate angel. Probably need to buy this...
Tripp
My absolute top pie book. Every one so far (I have made 6 of the pies within) has been a knockout.
Kristen
This is a really good cookbook. Every pie we've made from it has been just outstanding!
Amy :)
Made a couple of these pies. Easy to follow recipes with yummy results.
Kristen
A new favorite cookbook. These pies! Oh. these. pies.
Aug 18, 2011 Kristen added it
Shelves: 2011
Best pie cookbook ever.
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations Quick and Easy Thai: 70 Everyday Recipes Real Vegetarian Thai Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes