Start by marking “Town Boy” as Want to Read:
Town Boy

Town Boy (Kampung Boy #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Malaysian teenager Mat makes a life-changing move fromthe quiet kampung where he was bornto Ipoh, the rapidly industrializing nearby town. Living far from his rural roots at a boarding school,he discovers bustling streets,modern music, heady literature, budding romance, and through it all his growing passion for art.

The companion novel to the critically acclaimed Kampung
Published October 2nd 2007 by First Second (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Town Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Town Boy

Maxine Baghdadi
The graphic novel, Town Boy by Mohammad Nor Khalid, is based in Malaysia, and surrounds the life of a young Malaysian boy, Mat. Mat recently moved away from from the quiet streets of Ipoh to the quick-paced streets of the town where he attends a boarding school. Through his love for music, he meets Frankie, his best friend. Although there really isn't a specific plot to the book, he maintains his friendship with Frankie. That is the only identical feature throughout the whole book that remains. ...more
Danya Itani
Town Boy is the second book to Kampung Boy. Town boy picks off right where Kampung boy left. Town boy is about this Malaysian teenager who doesn't really know what to do with his life. The book is funny at times but not very exciting. Not too many events are being described and the only thing being told is the daily life of the teenage Malaysian kid. For example, he goes with his friends and hangs out. Or he finds a new friend and they share a common interest: music.

Yes Kampung boy was an ama
Michael Scott
Town Boy is one of the many graphic memoirs, where the author describes visually and textually an era, or place, or both. Lat shows a good mastery of the medium and produces a good memoir, but for me it's just not refined enough, and the time and place are just not that appealing. (If you're wandering, I've been to Singapore and Malaysia, and was interested in a deeper historical and social account.)

The story and characters are simple: a kampong family moves to a newly built area of a city in Ma
Andy Shuping
Lat, otherwise known as Kampung Boy, returns in this second volume of his life story, "Town Boy," detailing the second half of his adolescence in the small town of Ipoh in Malaysia. It's an autobiographical tale and Lat masterfully shares with us his tale of growing up in the 1960's in Malyasia--relating not a tale of someone famous or that has great life changes happen to them, but that of the everyday person. A person that we can all relate to, because we can connect with him. We can see our o ...more
Korynn
I am continuing to love this series. I love the way the characters move in their environments of streets, coffee shops, into cyclos and onto buses. The main character now lives in a town ( a big change for his poor family) and it chronicles his days in school and the meeting of his best friend, Frankie. There are some great sequences in this book, really fantastic little snippets of life that are so familiar for all that they occurred a lifetime ago to someone else on the other side of the world ...more
Betsy
Last year I went gaga over a Malaysian comic from the seventies. Doesn't a sentence that like sound cool? Like I'm some kind of obscure comic enthusiast with a penchant for the best overseas comics of decades past? The truth is far less sexy, I'm afraid. First Second brought to our American shores the comic book Kampung Boy, a title that original appeared in Malaysia long ago. Initially the format didn't intrigue me, but after a test run I found that I liked Lat (the one-namer author) and his wo ...more
Alexina
The illustrations are so clever in this book and the story is very simple.

This is the second graphic novel in the "Kampung Boy" series and it picks up right where the first one leaves off. Mat is now a young adult living in Ipoh, the city, and going to school. We get to meet his best friend Frankie and see some of their mischievous acts as they grow up. We also get to see the little romance popping up and a goodbye between best friends at the end.

I enjoyed it.
Sylvia
Buku ini memoarnya si penulis. Ceritanya tentang seorang anak yang tinggal di sebuah kampung, di Malaysia. Percakapannya campuran antara Malay dan English. Yah seperti orang-orang Melayu itu cakap lah. Lucu aja bacanya. Kek gini nih:

Mat: "Oh no, today we're having a double math period!"

Frankie: "Relax... any minute now we're going to have another encounter with Normah"

NORMAH - the hottest girl in Ipoh
She made heads turn...

Both: "Wow..."

Frankie: "If I want to go out on a date with a girl I can g
Hillary
Yet again, I learn not to be prejudiced against international comics, even when they appear to be coming of age stories. Town Boy is more Sergio Aragones than Robert Peck, and while its narrative does cover the years between ten and the late teens, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of structured growth in any of the characters. Its story exists at all mostly to provide Lat with a chance to fill some pages, and, really, Aragones is the comparable artist who comes to mind, each page overflowing ...more
Casidhe
Read this when i was very young and it left a lasting impression.

An overarching sense of entrapment within the present is prevalent within the novel as the author fondly reminisces his past through the medium of a graphic novel, reinforced by the unique and unmistakable artwork as seen before in Kampung Boy.

Although it lacks the narrow scope that was seen in Kampung Boy, it certainly does not lack depth and heart, both of which make this book a very, very enjoyable read.
Storyteller John Weaver
This book follows the action of Kampung Boy, with Lat's character Mat having left the kampung to go to school in the--you guessed it--town. The events depicted give a peek into 1960s Malaysian life, while also displaying the universal experiences of coming of age.

Lat's art may seem crude, but it is very vibrant and expressive. I love the characters' expression & the way they move! His backgrounds give a real sense of place; I've never been to Malaysia (let alone in the 1960s), but I've spen
Sasha Boersma
I thought I was bored of autobiographical-like tales, but this one is very sweet. Lat's visual style is so different than most - cute and whimsical. It's also nice to read about life in a country other than Canada/US that isn't about tragedy.
Abby
I was curious to read this because Jason Shiga (my new cartoonist crush) mentions in an afterword to "Double Happiness" that he was very much inspired by Lat's work & "Town Boy" in particular. And in fact there are a few scenes in Town Boy that Shiga basically replicates in "Double Happiness," only shifting the scene from 1960's Malaysia to present-day SF Chinatown.

I think I liked "Kampung Boy" a bit more than this one, although I did really love the street scenes in "Town Boy." Lat's drawi
Abby Johnson
In this sequel to Kampung Boy, Lat continues his autobiography from when he starts school and he and his family members become "town people" to when he finishes school. It's amusing, just as KB was, and the glimpse into a childhood from another culture is enlightening. I agree with reviews that say it lacks the focus of KB and that makes it somewhat less successful. Lots of details are provided in the illustrations, but they're not supported in the text, which may leave some readers in the dark. ...more
Martha
Sequel to "Kampung Boy". Mat moves to a much larger town, Ipoh, Indonesia. He attends middle and high school and makes a posse of friends, including Frankie, who is Chinese. All born in the early 1950's, the boys are listening and dancing to the best of rock and roll from the early days-edgy, raw, forbidden. Mat's friend Walter has records and a phonograph, so they make friends through listening to rock and roll and continue to spend lots of time together.
More fun from the artist, but now darlin
David
Together with "Kampung Boy", this book forms one of the great visual memoirs of the 20th century. There is no high drama; this is day-to-day life that radically changes as a family moves from its traditional rural home to a modern town in the mid-20th century.

While I'm very glad that First Second made this book available to American audiences for the first time, I'm disappointed that the page area has been severely reduced from the original versions. I would urge avid readers to seek out Malays
Melissa
I liked this even better than Kampung Boy... there was one section that I kept showing to teachers in the library that cracked everyone up instantly... let's just say it showed the significant difference in alertness between two groups of students, to the detriment of one :) I also love the way Lat draws adolescent boys, lounging around and trying to look bow-leggedly cool.
Zhiqing
A great follow up to Lat's very funny, engaging and nostalgic Kampung Boy. Mat's family left their Kampung life behind and moved to the city in this sequel where Mat made new friends, excelled in art and pondered on his future. The drawings are amazing and hilarious, particularly those of Mat's best friend Frankie who encouraged Mat to become an artist. I was practically grinning from the beginning to the end.
Robin
Dec 18, 2007 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes offbeat graphic novels
This is the second book published in the U.S. by Lat. This continues the author's story as his family moves to town and he progresses through school in Malaysia. It's really a neat story because it's set in a different part of the world. And the artwork is fun. The pictures seem simple but there is a lot going on in them and I like how he captures life during this time period.
Patti
I didn't enjoy this title as much as I enjoyed Kampung Boy. I thought the first was a lot more fun, the pictures more humorous, and the story more in depth. In Town Boy, it was occasionally hard to find the main character, Mat, in the drawings. Kampung Boy so far is the better of the two.
Astari Masitha
Funny. A family book, perfect for nostalgia. Hilarious illustrations, and at some cases, touching.
It's about Happy, simple childhood times and I never get bored reading it just expecting Lat's ridiculous actions in facing his simple but memorable childhood problems.
Starkville Public Library Young Adult Section
Mat has gone away to boarding school, exchanging kampung for town. As a teenager in Malaysia in the 1960s, Mat navigates friendships, girls, and school as he begins to figure out what he wants to be after he graduates.
Nisah Haron
Membaca naskhah Edisi Terhad berkulit tebal yang dibeli dari Istana Budaya, Kuala Lumpur sewaktu pementasan Lat Kampung Boy Sebuah Muzikal. Naskhah yang merakam sejarah negara dari kaca mata seorang pelukis komik.
Jason
"Though the individual scenes are often excellently executed, as a whole the book seems to lack a purpose, goal, or unifying theme to unite the work." More here: http://www.playbackstl.com/content/vi...
Andrew
I becoming a big fan of Lat. I hope more of his books are to be published here in the future. Kudos to :01 First Second for publishing the 1st 2 books.
Primadonna
<3 <3 <3

A bit sad now that Lat is growing up in this book. The ending is kinda bittersweet. :( I wonder whatever happened to Frankie?
Coleman Concannon
Such a cultural icon is somewhat lost by cultural differences. But expressive art style & realistic storyline is wonderful!
Lisle
Reading this right after Kampung Boy was a great way to spend an afternoon--almost like a trip to Malaysia!
Sylvester
Awesome again. Just a tad less so than Kampung Boy, because I loved all the cultural stuff in that one.
  • Prime Baby
  • Japan Ai: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan
  • Same Difference
  • The Color of Earth (Color Trilogy, #1)
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Notes for a War Story
  • Sumo
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • Trickster: Native American Tales: A Graphic Collection
Datuk Mohammad Nor Khalid (Jawi: محمد نور خالد), more commonly known as Lat, is a Malaysian cartoonist. Winner of the Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize in 2002, Lat has published more than 20 volumes of cartoons since he was 13 years old. His works mostly illustrate Malaysia's social and political scenes, portraying them in a comedic light without bias. Lat's best known work is The Kampung Boy (1979), w ...more
More about Mohammad Nor Khalid &quot;Lat&quot;...
Kampung Boy Mat Som Kampung Boy: Yesterday and Today Keluarga Si Mamat Lat and Gang