Start by marking “Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur” as Want to Read:
Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur

Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #6)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,286 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The hour fortold has come at last! Edward the Ninth, reprobate King of England, is dead and a proud an venerable institution is to be buried with him. A new political order—encouraged by an ambitious Prime Minister and supported by a public wearied by a succession of royal scandals—is about to render the old obsolete. With signed abdications of all potential throne claiman ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Avalon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avalon

Sarah Castillo
Oddly enough this book reminded me of the Pelican Brief. There's all these political twists and turns that I didn't expect from a book about King Arthur coming back. This isn't about modern folk fighting demons or going to the otherworld or anything like that. There's some mysticism in the book, but for the most part it's a very modern story that finds its ends through very modern means.

Not all the characters are developed as much as I'd liked. The love interest gets shafted in the beginning an
Lucinda
An astonishingly ambitious novel which beautifully blends the past with the present.

Master storyteller Stephen R. Lawhead‘s AVALON captures the magic and mystery surrounding the Arthurian Legends in a thoroughly modern, classy contemporary way. Breathtakingly epic and exciting this outstanding, new futuristic fantasy is so refreshingly original as like nothing you will have encountered before…

Set within the twenty-first Century a shocking revelation arises, when King Edward the ninth dies toge
Rusty
This is the story of the return of Arthur after the death of King Edward, who supposedly commits suicide. It begins with a man named James Arthur Stewart who is working to retain his inheritance, Blair Morven. All looks bleak until he meets Enbries (alias Merlin) whose tale is too strange to believe. James is to be the next king of England! He who cannot even retain his inheritance? Enbries totes out the proof - birth certificate, parents, marriage certificate, and all paperwork pertaining to hi ...more
Chelsea
Suzanne
Awesome book! Here are a few quotes:

p.139-140 "I set the keeping of Christ about thee;
I send the guarding of the Great Light with thee,
to possess thee, to protect thee,
From death, from danger, from loss.

Let the circling of the Three encompass thee in the battle to come.
In the day of strife, let Michael militant be thy strong protector.
In the twistings of the fight, let Blessed Jesu stand between thee
and the hate of the enemy.

I set a cloak of Bright Angels around thee,
To guard thee from the back,
Laurie
Meghan
With the Royal Wedding hoopla this week it was interesting seeing what might become of a monarch-less England, per this book. The PM is intent on dissolving the monarchy, and has taken several steps to do so...returning the castles, jewels, etc. to the public domain, and limiting the monarch's "power" even more than it already is. In a few weeks a referendum will dissolve the monarchy completely, likely landing the PM as the first President of the UK, and setting him down in history as the great ...more
December Sunshine
the conclusion to the Pendragon cycle of novels Lawhead wrote, this book finishes the story of "the once and future king"... following is the publisher's note... again, this book requires imagination in order for you to become involved in it, but it's a great, great read...

"It has been fortold: In the hour of Britain's greatest need, King Arthur will return to rescue his people.

In Portugal, the reprobate British King Edward the Ninth has died by his own hand.

In England, a dark scenario conceive
Jen
Amazing. When the British monarch personally falls apart, and Parliament is working hard to eliminate the monarchy altogether, only a few feel the void. James Arthur Stuart would be just as happy to see it go, but he's currently embroiled in a fight to keep the house that hadn't been properly deeded when it was left to him. He's been so wrapped up in that fight and so uncertain of his future that he's ignored the girl he's always expected to marry, and she's moved on. A mysterious figure approac ...more
Trina
Excellent story about King Arthur returning to the world after the power and dignity of the monarchy has been stripped away by bureaucracy. James Arthur Stuart is a normal man, unaware of his legacy, until after King Edward IX dies of a gunshot wound. Because he has not been brought up as royalty, he is comfortable with the people -- and his integrity is ultimately recognized and honored. However, Moira (Morgan, Morgan Le Fay, etc.) is working with the Evil Bureaucrats who would remove James fro ...more
Jackie

I'm sorry to disagree with almost every other reviewer, but I thought that this book was a load of old tosh.
The return of Arthur , should have been a magnificent and sweepingly epic tale. But this story detailed a political free for all that didn't excite in any way. I found it tedious and repetitive. The prime minister, the villain of the story, had absolutely no redeeming features, so he came over as a poorly described caricature . Some parts of the story were laughable and completely unbelie
Gabriel Wallis
Oct 11, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabriel by: Rick Leiviska
Shelves: 2014
Avalon: The Return of King Arthur was not my favorite of the Pendragon Cycle. It takes place in the current age and is a little heavy with British Parliamentary and the aspects of kingship. Don't get me wrong... It was good and all. It was just a lot different than the rest of the series.
Danielw
Stephen Jolly
Really enjoyed Merlin appearing in Modern Day England. Has been a while since I have read this. May be dur to read it again.
Jen Lannholm
I love books about King Arthur, don't know why, I just do. I like the premise of this version, King Arthur in modern day, sounds interesting. It was okay, the plot could have been developed deeper, and too much time was spent on political topics of England. Come to think of it, the characters weren't developed that great either.

I always have my two Grandsons in mind when I read books of this genre, I don't know if this book has what it takes to hold the attention of a 11 year old boy.

Maybe I s
Calla Flower
this story lacked a lot of the adventure and mystical aspects one would expect to find in a story about King Arthur. Despite this i didn't find myself to be disappointed with the story. Over all it was pretty level, as in it didn't really have a single climactic event, but it was wonderfully written. i had no problem bringing myself to read it.
This is apparently the last book in Lawhead's series of Pendragon books. I didn't know that when i picked it up. I look forward to going back and reading
Kathleen
This was a reread. It wasn't quite as brilliant as I remember, but it's still a fun story about King Arthur's return in Britain's hour of need.

It's a little more dated than it was in 2000, and in large part, much worse things have happened than are displayed in this novel as being 'Britain's hour of greatest need', so some suspension of disbelief will be required.

In spite of that, Lawhead's fairly clever about modernizing Arthurian characters, and such familiar characters struggling with moder
Ange
Easy read, story moved quickly.
Jeffield
I usually love Stephen Lawhead's books and the series that this particular book concludes is one of my favorite series but he really failed on this one.

This is the story of King Arthur coming back to power but in the present day. I didn't feel like he developed the character well and you did not see enough of his "knights". Some of the passages were just hokey. I was so excited when I heard of this sixth book and when I was done I just felt he could have done so much better. It was rushed and n
Hazeltwilight
I recently reread this book and found I enjoyed it as much as I had when I was younger.

If you come in expecting battles and knights and killing you'll be disappointed. But I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, the hints of the mythology woven into the story and Lawhead's impressive use of dialogue. One scene with the interviewer practically sparked off the page.

It's a quiet book that somehow kept my blood pumping.
Tudie
Although this is not the typical Stephen Lawhead book., being set in a Modern day time period, it none the less is a great read. It all leads up to the return of King Arthur, through his ancestors. It's a wonderful adventure that takes an unassuming gentleman, who is unbeknownst led by Merlin, in his Modern day guise. There is a slow start to the book, but once it gets rolling, it is a book that you'll want to not put down.
Leanna
Absolutely amazing. Why, honestly I have no idea. It started off a tiny bit slow before suddenly hitting the ground running. I thought a book dealing with politics, even one about King Arthur, would be boring but gave it a try. I'm really glad I did. I have actually read this three times already and get something new out of it each time. Definitely worth the read for any King Arthur fanatics.
Sara
The book kept me wanting to know what would happen, but I just wasn't that impressed. Maybe because I watch the British series Merlin and it is pretty exciting and it has made me picture the Arthurian legend characters a certain way. Either way, there was a bit of language and I am never much in to reading that. I guess it was just one of those books you read and say it was ok.
Sara
This is a masterful work of fiction, combining the hints of hope found in the Arthuriad with the modern dissatisfaction with any kind of monarchical government. I love Jimmy, Jenny and all of the players. I've reread this book several times, to the point that our paperback is falling apart. If you like Arthurian stories, you'll probably like this one.
Melissa
I would give Avalon a solid 3.5 stars. The writing was good, the plot was solid enough with an interesting premise of King Arthur being being reincarnated in modern day Scotland. And while I really enjoyed the book, I couldn't help but think the end was an after thought. I don't think Lawhead knew what to do after a certain point, so he just threw in a random ending.
Nathan Pinno
Aug 13, 2012 Nathan Pinno rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in Arthur and the legends surrounding him, and/or British politics.
What a great read! This book kept me coming back so that I could find out what happened next! Stephen R. Lawhead is a great writer, and the pace of this book is fantastic! A must-read for anyone who's read the legends of King Arthur!
Michael
A look at what might happen if the ancient prophecy of King Arthur returning in Britain's darkest hour.

From the author who brought us the Pendragon Cycle. It actually builds a bit off of and references these books. It can be read alon or as a bookend to the Pendragon Cycle.

Equally enjoyable both ways.
Regan
This was the best of the series. There were a few places where he really gets into pontificating -- I started skimming them. Just because real life reporters and politicians go off on these rambles is no reason to put every little bit of it into a book.

But I like the return.
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • Grail Prince
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Knight Life (Modern Arthur, #1)
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • Mad Merlin
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
  • The Death of King Arthur
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Eagle and the Sword (Arthor, #2)
  • Sword at Sunset
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) Hood (King Raven, #1) Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3) Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2) Scarlet (King Raven, #2)