Start by marking “Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur” as Want to Read:
Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur

Avalon: The Return Of King Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #6)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,761 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
It has been foretold:
In the hour of Britain’s greatest need, King Arthur will return to rescue his people.

In Portugal, the reprobate King Edward the Ninth has died by his own hand.

In England, the British monarchy teeters on the edge of total destruction.

And in the Scottish Highlands, a mystical emissary named Mr. Embries—better known as “Merlin”—informs a young captain tha
Published October 13th 2009 by Harper Voyager (first published 1999)

Sarah Castillo
Jul 24, 2011 Sarah Castillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Oddly enough this book reminded me of the Pelican Brief. There's all these political twists and turns that I didn't expect from a book about King Arthur coming back. This isn't about modern folk fighting demons or going to the otherworld or anything like that. There's some mysticism in the book, but for the most part it's a very modern story that finds its ends through very modern means.

Not all the characters are developed as much as I'd liked. The love interest gets shafted in the beginning an
Sarah Garner
May 15, 2016 Sarah Garner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's an interesting take on the Arthur story set during the present day. Although the author does seem to view Britain through rose tinted glasses.
Clare Farrelly
Apr 19, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah I forgot how much I liked Stephen R. Lawhead's writing. The political side of it all was so deep and believable and the plot, story, characters were great.

Lawhead must really have researched political stuff a lot, that side of things is so well done and believable. There are so many plots within plots, and twists and turns to the story. The story constantly keeps the pressure on and there is heightening tension the whole way through making it very page turning. There were also a number of fun
Lucinda
May 18, 2013 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An astonishingly ambitious novel which beautifully blends the past with the present.

Master storyteller Stephen R. Lawhead‘s AVALON captures the magic and mystery surrounding the Arthurian Legends in a thoroughly modern, classy contemporary way. Breathtakingly epic and exciting this outstanding, new futuristic fantasy is so refreshingly original as like nothing you will have encountered before…

Set within the twenty-first Century a shocking revelation arises, when King Edward the ninth dies toge
Rusty
This is the story of the return of Arthur after the death of King Edward, who supposedly commits suicide. It begins with a man named James Arthur Stewart who is working to retain his inheritance, Blair Morven. All looks bleak until he meets Enbries (alias Merlin) whose tale is too strange to believe. James is to be the next king of England! He who cannot even retain his inheritance? Enbries totes out the proof - birth certificate, parents, marriage certificate, and all paperwork pertaining to hi ...more
Chelsea
Jun 14, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Suzanne
Jun 21, 2011 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Awesome book! Here are a few quotes:

p.139-140 "I set the keeping of Christ about thee;
I send the guarding of the Great Light with thee,
to possess thee, to protect thee,
From death, from danger, from loss.

Let the circling of the Three encompass thee in the battle to come.
In the day of strife, let Michael militant be thy strong protector.
In the twistings of the fight, let Blessed Jesu stand between thee
and the hate of the enemy.

I set a cloak of Bright Angels around thee,
To guard thee from the back,
Laurie
Aug 08, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn
Jul 25, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so, when I was reading this, I didn't know that it was the 6th installment of the series. But, honestly it's okay. You can read this out of order (at least this book) and it still makes sense. This was the first book I read by Lawhead and I fell in love with his writing and retelling of the King Arthur story. Not only do I love King Arthur in general, but the way he tells it gives it a whole new light. He did such an amazing job, I really want to go back and read the first 5 books and reall ...more
Meghan
With the Royal Wedding hoopla this week it was interesting seeing what might become of a monarch-less England, per this book. The PM is intent on dissolving the monarchy, and has taken several steps to do so...returning the castles, jewels, etc. to the public domain, and limiting the monarch's "power" even more than it already is. In a few weeks a referendum will dissolve the monarchy completely, likely landing the PM as the first President of the UK, and setting him down in history as the great ...more
December Sunshine
May 17, 2013 December Sunshine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Sep 04, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
the conclusion to the Pendragon cycle of novels Lawhead wrote, this book finishes the story of "the once and future king"... following is the publisher's note... again, this book requires imagination in order for you to become involved in it, but it's a great, great read...

"It has been fortold: In the hour of Britain's greatest need, King Arthur will return to rescue his people.

In Portugal, the reprobate British King Edward the Ninth has died by his own hand.

In England, a dark scenario conceive
Mel
Aug 10, 2016 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avalon begins with an immediately unlikeable man committing suicide. It soon transpires that this was King Edward the Ninth and now, after numerous referendums the Monarchy is looking even closer to being resolved.

We are then introduced to James and his friends who live and work in Scotland. James made me think of Monarch of the Glen.

This was a lot more political than I anticipated with less fantasy, but I really enjoyed it.
Ron
Jul 07, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A nice variation on an old trope. King Arthur is reincarnated in our times and has to reclaim Britain from the degenerate leading class which has it in its grip. I found the political maneuvering and the confrontation between proponents of monarchy and republic entertaining. It just did not really seemed to be a true part of the Pendragon Cycle and the resolution somewhat lacked in excitement.
Jen
Sep 04, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. When the British monarch personally falls apart, and Parliament is working hard to eliminate the monarchy altogether, only a few feel the void. James Arthur Stuart would be just as happy to see it go, but he's currently embroiled in a fight to keep the house that hadn't been properly deeded when it was left to him. He's been so wrapped up in that fight and so uncertain of his future that he's ignored the girl he's always expected to marry, and she's moved on. A mysterious figure approac ...more
Lana
Feb 27, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a most surprising book, being set in today's times it caught me unawares so to speak and i nearly put it down in the beginning but then i really loved the way it developed and even though i personally am an anti monarchy person i routed for arthur till the end!! brilliant and very enjoyable!!
Trina
Excellent story about King Arthur returning to the world after the power and dignity of the monarchy has been stripped away by bureaucracy. James Arthur Stuart is a normal man, unaware of his legacy, until after King Edward IX dies of a gunshot wound. Because he has not been brought up as royalty, he is comfortable with the people -- and his integrity is ultimately recognized and honored. However, Moira (Morgan, Morgan Le Fay, etc.) is working with the Evil Bureaucrats who would remove James fro ...more
Jackie
Jun 30, 2012 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I'm sorry to disagree with almost every other reviewer, but I thought that this book was a load of old tosh.
The return of Arthur , should have been a magnificent and sweepingly epic tale. But this story detailed a political free for all that didn't excite in any way. I found it tedious and repetitive. The prime minister, the villain of the story, had absolutely no redeeming features, so he came over as a poorly described caricature . Some parts of the story were laughable and completely unbelie
Gabriel Wallis
Oct 11, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabriel by: Rick Leiviska
Shelves: 2014
Avalon: The Return of King Arthur was not my favorite of the Pendragon Cycle. It takes place in the current age and is a little heavy with British Parliamentary and the aspects of kingship. Don't get me wrong... It was good and all. It was just a lot different than the rest of the series.
Danielw
Oct 15, 2014 Danielw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Jolly
Feb 11, 2014 Stephen Jolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lawhead
Really enjoyed Merlin appearing in Modern Day England. Has been a while since I have read this. May be dur to read it again.
Bobby
Feb 12, 2016 Bobby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Lawhead books. The mix of mythology, modernity, and politics is gripping and well done.
Kris
May 03, 2016 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the long long Pendragon cycle, but if you want an Arthurian legend that'll keep you interested on every page, you've found it.
Jen Lannholm
I love books about King Arthur, don't know why, I just do. I like the premise of this version, King Arthur in modern day, sounds interesting. It was okay, the plot could have been developed deeper, and too much time was spent on political topics of England. Come to think of it, the characters weren't developed that great either.

I always have my two Grandsons in mind when I read books of this genre, I don't know if this book has what it takes to hold the attention of a 11 year old boy.

Maybe I s
Calla Flower
Jul 28, 2009 Calla Flower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
this story lacked a lot of the adventure and mystical aspects one would expect to find in a story about King Arthur. Despite this i didn't find myself to be disappointed with the story. Over all it was pretty level, as in it didn't really have a single climactic event, but it was wonderfully written. i had no problem bringing myself to read it.
This is apparently the last book in Lawhead's series of Pendragon books. I didn't know that when i picked it up. I look forward to going back and reading
Kathleen
This was a reread. It wasn't quite as brilliant as I remember, but it's still a fun story about King Arthur's return in Britain's hour of need.

It's a little more dated than it was in 2000, and in large part, much worse things have happened than are displayed in this novel as being 'Britain's hour of greatest need', so some suspension of disbelief will be required.

In spite of that, Lawhead's fairly clever about modernizing Arthurian characters, and such familiar characters struggling with moder
Ange
Sep 29, 2014 Ange rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, story moved quickly.
Jeffield
May 26, 2008 Jeffield rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Stephen Lawhead's books and the series that this particular book concludes is one of my favorite series but he really failed on this one.

This is the story of King Arthur coming back to power but in the present day. I didn't feel like he developed the character well and you did not see enough of his "knights". Some of the passages were just hokey. I was so excited when I heard of this sixth book and when I was done I just felt he could have done so much better. It was rushed and n
Jennie Webb
Not my favorite...
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • Mad Merlin
  • Wise Woman's Telling (Morgan Le Fay, #1)
  • Excalibur!
  • Sword at Sunset
  • I Am Mordred
  • Knight Life (Modern Arthur, #1)
  • The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5)
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Hawk's Gray Feather (The Tales of Arthur, #1)
  • Arthur Rex
  • The Eagle and the Sword (Arthor, #2)
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Pendragon Cycle (6 books)
  • Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle, #1)
  • Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • Pendragon (The Pendragon Cycle, #4)
  • Grail (The Pendragon Cycle, #5)