Start by marking “Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding and Living God's Word” as Want to Read:
Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding and Living God's Word

Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding and Living God's Word

The Bible may be the most-purchased book in the world, but it is often the least read and least applied due to a basic lack of understanding and motivation on the part of readers. Read the Bible for Life aims to improve biblical literacy in the culture and the church by simultaneously moving readers toward greater skill in reading the Bible well and toward a deeper commitm

Published January 1st 2011 by B&H Books (first published December 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Read the Bible for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Read the Bible for Life

Claire
Nov 26, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
I'll be co-leading a Bible study using this book this summer. I'm interested to dive into it and see what it's got.
Greg
Aug 31, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-literacy
One of a kind! A great book for learning how to read the bible for life transformation. Simple, Clear, Conversational; no overly technicals terms.

Dr. Gunthrie conducts 16 interviews with top bible scholars to expose the fundamentals of bible reading. Highlights are: heart space/life space, genre's, and translations. Currently, teaching a class with this as our primary text book and have received very positive feedback.

I would highly recommend this to anyone desiring to draw more from scripture
Daniel Rowe
Sep 15, 2016 Daniel Rowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to reading the Bible well. Very good at simplifying difficult concepts for young or immature believers. Some of the interviews come off a bit odd (ex: the author interviewing himself) but there overall execution is helpful.
Julius McCarter
Nov 02, 2014 Julius McCarter rated it liked it
Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding & Living God’s Word is composed of 16 chapters, containing personal "conversations" that author George Guthrie held with a variety of evangelical scholars. The book intends to aide teens and college students towards fostering a love for Scripture and offer some foundational words of wisdom in terms of how to study the Bible.

Guthrie's conversation partners include David Dockery, Andreas Koestenberger, Clint Arnold/Mark Strauss, Bruce Waltk
Tina Simmons
Jul 08, 2012 Tina Simmons rated it liked it
I wanted to adore this book. I am an alumnus of Union University, so I saw Dr. Gutherie on a regular basis, and he always struck me as a genuine Christ lover. I regret never taking a class with him.
This book can be summed up like this: in order to study the Bible well you need:
1. A good Bible Dictionary
2. A good commentary
3. A good history book about 1st century Palestine, Judaism, Jerusalem, etc.
Unfortunately, there are no recommendations for any of the above necessities. Cosmic fail.
I did appr
Jill
May 28, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok
The reading plans are ambitious for daily study, but they are a great way to tackle studying the Bible. I will not get through the entire Bible in a year but I have a plan to read through it and will cover a good portion of the text in time. With regard to this specific book, the text is mostly conversations of the author with other biblical theologists. If you have limited time, which is everyone, just follow the reading plan(s) presented in the back of this book and spend you time actually ...more
Thomas C Wilson Jr
Wonderful book

Well-written and easy to understand, this book is a guide to reading and studying God's Word in a variety of ways and settings, from personal and family devotions to small groups and even corporately reading and studying the Bible as a church.. Guthrie himself is a professor at Union University and the book, as one might expect, is heavy on facts. He interviews scholars, pastors, and, for the chapter on reading the Bible as a family, his wife. Even though he is a professor, he firm
David
Mar 28, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying this book very much. It is deliberately written in an easy conversational style. When the author interviews scholars ( including Bruce Waltke, Mark Strauss, Clint Arnold, Douglas Moo and even himself) he adopts the style of Lee Strobel in his Case For Christ. It is a little stylised and wooden, but pleasant enough.
There is some great advice here and plenty of useful material, no matter what your previous experience of reading the Bible is.
Dr Guthrie writes in a natural and often
Nov 12, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. I actually now wish I had gone through this together with a friend or study group. The conversational interview approach was effective (and somewhat humorous when he interviewed himself.) Love the summary bullet points at the end (I am a bullet-point kinda person.) And I did get a lot out of the Transformation activities at the end of each chapter. This is a great book for anyone who is new to reading the Bible or who is experienced.. there are great takeaways for all. Well ...more
Ryan
Oct 07, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it
a great, accessible primer on the wonderful yet challenge task of reading scripture well. I think this makes the important ideas clear without having to wade through a lot of scholarship to get there. Be prepared to chuckle at the level at which the author seeks to keep things relational and conversational...but all in all an important book presented in an important way.
Scott
Mar 07, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
A great book to help a person understand how the Bible fits together as a story. Dr. Guthrie does an excellent job of making the various genres of the Bible understandable for readers of all skill levels and backgrounds.
Melissa Moore
Oct 18, 2011 Melissa Moore rated it it was amazing
Very nicely done. A wonderful help to knowing how to read various parts of the Bible, and why it's important to know the big picture of the Scriptures, and to study and meditate on individual portions of Scripture.
Dominique
May 28, 2016 Dominique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-reading
Incredible tool to have. This is a book you will read, apply and read again later. It's a staple in my library.
Felicia
May 01, 2013 Felicia rated it liked it
I didn't like the format (conversational style) of this book. I wanted the information to be more straightforward. I ended up just skimming the book for basic information in each category.
Todd Coe
Jul 29, 2012 Todd Coe rated it really liked it
very good book on how to read the Bible for meaning and to know God and not as an to do item to check off.
Martinha
Martinha rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Zujey Resendez
Zujey Resendez rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Randy Burns
Randy Burns rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Kip Lowery
Kip Lowery rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
David Onder
David Onder rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2012
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Matt Boggs
Matt Boggs rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Whitney Anderson
Whitney Anderson rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Don't Call it a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • 40 Questions About Interpreting The Bible (40 Questions & Answers Series)
  • Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Man in White
  • 10 Things Jesus Never Said: And Why You Should Stop Believing Them
  • Exegetical Fallacies
  • Paul and the Faithfulness of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #4)
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Theology of the Hebrew Bible
  • Kingdom Come: The Amillennial Alternative
  • ESV Gospel Transformation Bible
  • Bioethics: A Primer for Christians
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
Dr. George Guthrie serves as the Benjamin W. Perry Professor of Bible at Union University in Jackson, TN. As a student of the New Testament and Koine Greek, he is the author of numerous articles and seven books, including, The Structure of Hebrews: A Textlinguistic Analysis (Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 73. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1994; republished by Baker Books in 1998), Biblical Greek ...more
More about George H. Guthrie...

“If we are not being moved in heart and moved to new places in life—new levels of obedience to God—we are not really reading the Bible the way God wants us to.” 2 likes
“the Bible "outlives, out lifts, outloves, outreaches, outranks, outruns all other books."4” 1 likes