Start by marking “Harry the K: The Remarkable Life of Harry Kalas” as Want to Read:
Harry the K: The Remarkable Life of Harry Kalas

Harry the K: The Remarkable Life of Harry Kalas

To Philadelphia Phillies fans, he was the soundtrack of summer. But beyond his successful broadcasting career, Harry Kalas led an extraordinary personal life. This compelling biography--with over five printings in hardcover--offers countless revelations and is a must-read for any fan.
Published March 8th 2011 by Running Press (first published February 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Harry the K, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry the K

jeremy
May 10, 2010 jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baseball, memoir-bio
harry kalas had one of the most recognizable voices in the world, known and loved by millions. for nearly four decades, kalas served as the play-by-play announcer for the philadelphia phillies. in addition to his work with the phils, he also served as the legendary voice behind nfl films and did commercial work for campbell's chunky soup and coors light. in 2002 kalas was inducted into the broadcasters wing of the national baseball hall of fame. he passed away in april 2009, one day before he an ...more
Carolyn
Dec 13, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
How can a book that's supposed to be so controversial be so, so, so boring?
Rick
Jul 06, 2014 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any Phils fan would want to read this book because Harry was the soundtrack of their lives for so long. But as other reviewers have essentially noted, it's flawed. It's practically written in crayon -- the writing is that pedestrian, which is surprising in light of the author being a baseball beat writer for so long. It's an odd mashup of admiring portrait and smarmy stories of Harry's drinking and flings. There are some funny stories, especially in the Richie Ashburn chapter. The author intervi ...more
Tom Lewis
A ton of research seems to have gone into writing this book, and it shows (several times, often repeatedly).

Hard to finish this book. WAY too much repetition of data. Too bad.
Erin
Mar 15, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting though not exactly the best writing. That's the only reason it didn't get more stars.
Holly Cline
Apr 11, 2012 Holly Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
This is a fitting tribute to the voice of the Phillies. I'd call it a great read for anyone but a must read for a phils fan. Randy Miller had so much cooperation from and access to everyone of importance in Harry's life, and you can tell it's because they all wanted there to be a truly representative book for their beloved buddy. The excessive drinking, smoking and marital infidelities are all included. A tribute which ignores anything bad would be deceptive and therefore unworthy. But the heart ...more
Ann Mulholland
It took me a long time to finish this. I loved Harry Kalas. I grew up listening to him on the radio and tv every summer from when I was a little kid til his death in 2009. This book told me things I didn't know about Harry the K, some I wish I hadn't found out.
This wasn't the best written book I've come across, the author seemed to forget that he had already told the reader who each person was. It became pretty annoying to have every person identfied by full name after the first few chapters.
A
Ian Hastings
Feb 21, 2011 Ian Hastings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Some great stories, but the book didn't flow well, felt like it was jumping all over the place in telling them.

Harry Kalas was a great announcer, and a huge part of my experience growing up as a Phillies fan. Even though I never knew him personally, I shed a few tears when he passed, and again watching the memorial service from Citizens Bank Park. I realized that I had NEVER listened to a Phillies game that didn't have his voice bringing us the action.

While he wasn't a saint, the book shows his
Jim Melcher
Aug 14, 2013 Jim Melcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a Phillies fan, but I am a baseball fan and fan of NFL Films, both arenas where Kalas shined. Kalas' professionalism, desire to take care of his younger co-workers and especially his warmth come through--as well as some of his personal failings. Unlike many other people with failings, they're more weaknesses than meannesses, and some of them (such as his alcohol problems) were dealt with. He seems to have been a warm and wonderful friend to many; after reading the book, I wish I had know ...more
Joe
May 13, 2010 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Harry better before I read this book. And I think that Chris Wheeler got a raw deal.

Best part: the funeral director escorting Harry's body back to Philadelphia is a huge Phillies fan. His cell phone goes off in the hearse. The ringtone is Harry's 2008 World Series call: "The 0-2 pitch...SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT!..." Awwwwwkkward.
Tom
Dec 17, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When he was around, I really didn't care all that much for Harry Kalas. I guess I really didn't appreciate him next to Richie Ashburn and Larry Andersen. But now that he's gone, I miss him, and after reading the book I see him in s whole nre light. We need more like him, not the imposters we have today (Wheeler, Matthews, and McCarthy).
Al
Jun 17, 2010 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well-researched biography of the legendary voice of the Phillies including incredible details about every phase of Harry Kalas's life. If you're a baseball fan, and especially a fan of the Philadelphia Phillies, you will find this book to be very interesting.
Dan
May 08, 2010 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done tribute to the immortal voice of the Phightins, but it doesn't really hit its stride until the narrative reaches Harry's final days. Regardless, a must read for all true fans.
Adam
Sep 02, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only a great story of one of baseball's living legends but a history of Phillies baseball from the 1970's-present day. This is a must read for all Philadelphia Phillies fans.
Lisa
did not finish, decided I would rather not know some things and just remember how much I loved his voice!
Pat
Sep 16, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As a Phillies Fan, I loved it. Gave me some answers about the inner workings of the booth.
Trish
Jun 06, 2010 Trish marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just picked up this book from the library after waiting for it for a month.... we'll see.
Christian Bensing
Christian Bensing rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Greg Jones
Greg Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
Evan
Evan added it
Jul 10, 2016
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Kelly Eckert
Kelly Eckert rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
pete
pete rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
MaryAnne McDonald
MaryAnne McDonald rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Wayne Sweigart
Wayne Sweigart marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Jerome
Jerome rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016