Start by marking “In Her Name: Omnibus (In Her Name: Redemption, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
In Her Name: Omnibus (In Her Name: Redemption, #1-3)

In Her Name: Omnibus (In Her Name: Redemption #1-3)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,808 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Comprising the novels In Her Name: Empire, Confederation, and Final Battle, this book contains the complete story of Reza Gard, a human boy captured by the Kreelan Empire during its century-long war with Humanity. The enemy raises him as a warrior in an experiment to see if humans have souls, and if Reza can redeem their race from an ages-old curse and save humanity from c ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 31st 2010 by Michael R. Hicks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about In Her Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Her Name

Liviu
In Her Name is a mixture of military space opera and epic fantasy that works very well.

I bought the book after the author brought it to my attention after a chance online encounter - the 4 chapters excerpt on the author' site below decided me quickly that I want to read it and I recommend anyone interested in it to check them out and decide for themselves.

Structurally the book is split in several parts that follow the main character Reza Gard from a very young boy in a middle of a brutal war w
Gendou
Violent fantasy meets tepid science fiction.
The plot reminds me of James Cameron's Avatar.
The aliens remind me of the Klingons from Star Trek.
The whole book is way too violence-obsessed for my taste.
I was greatly disappointed by the lack of science in this supposed science fiction novel.
I mean, the author could have at least hinted at some of the alien technology, instead of hiding behind Clarke's third law:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, which is total bull
Eric McLean
Mar 06, 2012 Eric McLean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't actually read this all the way through. I got it for free on Amazon after reading all of the great reviews, but now I'm sure they were all hired by the author to write raving reviews. Put simply, this book broke every rule in creative writing that I have ever learned and was one stumbling cliche after another. The writing was elementary and awful. Truly AWFUL.
Robin
Dec 01, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy was AWESOME! Enough said.
Selenis
Aug 18, 2012 Selenis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ficção científica, acção, romance, amizade, honra... mas também o pior da humanidade sob forma dos vilões. Sim, num livro onde uma espécie extra-terrestre parece inicialmente, no primeiro livro, ser terrível e insensível ao sofrimento, as personagens mais execráveis, mais odiosas, são humanas.

Reza Gard é a personagem condutora do livro. Vamos seguindo a sua vida e evolução deste o planete onde vê os pais morrerem às mãos de uma guerreira Kreelan ao planeta orfanato onde é acolhido, e depois pelo
Neda Stojkovic
Aug 12, 2012 Neda Stojkovic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sf
I really wanted to like this book. It has a lot of elements that I thought I would love, prior to actually reading it. Story is very good, but its execution is far from even borderline. There are some ok characters, but most are pretty two dimensional, villains are all evil-lordish, good guys are all epitome of virtue, and high-powered to boot. Not very smart, though, they always fall into very simple plots that would shame any half-smart villain out there. Dialogues are uninspired and there are ...more
Kenya Wright
Jun 10, 2011 Kenya Wright rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love alien books with a tiny bit of romance
This book was entertaining but it didn't keep my attention the whole time. It wasn't a bad book just not my type of book I guess.

The book follows the male protagonist from boy to man as he struggles with the dangerous obstacles in his life. I got all the way up to 90% and stopped reading. I just didn't care what would happen next.

Again it wasn't bad. It was extremly well written. I loved the descriptions for everything.

The alien race was all female which was pretty cool.

There was some good
LaVerne
Apr 12, 2010 LaVerne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know everyone says the same thing about a great book, it was so good I couldn't put it down. Well this was so good I resented having to put it down. For those of you who love epic fantasy sci/fi, especially Dune or Avatar fans, then you absolutely must read this book.
Long after I stopped reading about the world of the Kreelan warriors and the characters Hicks has created I am still thinking about them. He brought this world to life for me and I think you would enjoy visiting it.
Matt
I actually soared through the first book . . . it was good popcorn reading, a cinematic telling of human adjusting within an alien race and then becoming an ambassador of sorts. But now, faced with two books about warring, to complete the trilogy, I guess I'm done. It's springtime and there are other themes I'd rather immerse myself in.
Mellissa
Dec 04, 2012 Mellissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spent the last days of 2012 devouring all three books of Redemption. I laughed, gasped in joy or horror, read whilst gnawing my fingers in anticipation, shed a tear... All the reactions one should have to a great story. Science Fiction, Fantasy, Love on an epic scale, Warfare. Spirituality. Includes these and more.
Bruce
This is one of the best science fiction books I have ever read, and I've read a lot of them. I highly recommend it to any one that enjoys this genre. As I said, it is one of the best.
Diane Daniels
I can't finish this one. I tried. Maybe, I'll try again if I run out of reading material, but probably not. I don't want to waste any more time reviewing it. I'm not going to rate it.
Gordon Tucker
The characters in the first book were a bit weak to me, but in books 2 an 3 became so flat and predictable (absolutely zero depth) that the story lost interest. Too bad since the idea was good.
Raquel Mirna
Apr 11, 2011 Raquel Mirna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it :)
M.
Mar 11, 2009 M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book. I've always been fond of the idea of humanity versus the superior alien.
Becky
Aug 28, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Her Name is an ambitious novel by Michael R. Hicks. In its 667 pages, it has it all and then some. Set in the future (a long ways away in the future), it features an epic battle between good and evil, human and alien. Reza Gard is at the center of the action.

When we first meet him, he is a small child. A soon-to-be orphaned child. The Kreelans (the blue-skinned violence-loving aliens) are attacking. He witnesses much, but is ultimately spared by one of the warriors (all warriors are female, b
Al
Feb 25, 2009 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my good friends, a literate, book-reading friend, says he likes his movies tightly edited and concise, but he prefers his books by the pound. If that friend enjoys the occasional science fiction/fantasy adventure as well, then do I have a book for him! Michael R. Hicks' In Her Name is a monster of a paperback and an absolute steal for the price. (It's also available in Amazon's Kindle edition at a budget price.) I estimate In Her Name to be at least two pounds of solid entertainment.
For
Lala
Oct 06, 2010 Lala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 (Empire): 09/30/2010 to 02/01/2011
Book 2 (Confederation): 02/01/2011 to 02/09/2011
Book 3 (Final Battle): 02/09/2011 to 02/15/2011

It took me so long to finish Book 1 because I only 'read' it when I had my hands full (literally) and 'read' via my Kindle's text-to-speech feature. When I went on vacation 2 weeks ago, I decided to give it the attention it deserves and started reading it properly.

I didn't like how Book 1 ended because the scenes leading to it didn't seem to have concluded the w
Phoenix Reads
Dec 12, 2012 Phoenix Reads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It had been a long time since I read science fiction, but I decided to expand my reading to new genres and picked up Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1) by Michael R. Hicks. I found it to be a wonderful blend of epic fantasy and sci fi.

So read it, loved it, and immediately bought Confederation, and Final Battle.

Michael Hicks created the world of Earth after it had taken to space, having built far-flung, loose colonies that behaved similar to our own nations here on Earth - mistrusting, not nece
Hollie
Jul 22, 2011 Hollie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the best single word I can come up with the describe this book is mesmerizing. It wooed and captured me under its spell until I was so absorbed that my own life faded into the background. This is always the case with the books I love the most, and results in me sifting through by libraries looking for something relatively boring or previously read to give me time to decompress.

On Amazon, this book is described as a mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. It IS all those things, plus myster
Gerold Whittaker
Apr 24, 2012 Gerold Whittaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
The Omnibus edition contains the first three novels of the In Her Name science fiction & fantasy saga including: Empire, Confederation, and Final Battle.

Empire: Reza Gard, a recently orphaned human is captured and taken to the Kreelan homeworld - the Empire - to live and train as one of them. In a "buddy" system they call the "Tresh", he is partnered with a young Kreelan trainee warrior whom he hates - yet depends on for his very existance. Over the years Reza's relationship with his tresh e
joseph R. Hylton
Oct 21, 2014 joseph R. Hylton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long story to get lost in

this review is on the entire In Her Name series. I read the books in the reverse order in which they were written stating with First Contact and ending with Final Battle. The two sets were like night and day. The first trilogy, The Last War, is all fights and war. The second trilogy, Redemption, is more of a space version of Romeo and Juliet. The Last War describes in wonderful detail the beginning of the Kreelan-Human war stating with the first contact by the survey shi
Mike Crate
Jul 22, 2015 Mike Crate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
In Her Name: Redemption is the omnibus edition of the first three novels of the In Her Name series and to put simply these stories confirmed to me that there was a world of great storytelling to be had outside of the shelves of bookstores. Yes my exposure to these books and others went hand in hand with my first Kindle purchase and to this day I eagerly await the novels of Michael especially the final book in The First Empress Trilogy released August 2015.
The three novels (Empire, Confederation
Douglas
This being 3 separate books combined, I'll review each:

Empire(4 stars)
By far my favorite of the the three books. Reza's early life in the orphanage and the relationships built there made me care about the character. His imprisonment, test and training by the Kreelans kept my attention. And a fairly good death for the protaganist which is ruined with a magical "nope, he's saved".

Confederation(3 stars)
Also very good. Great start which introduces new characters and the return of Reza was pretty bad
Elena
Mar 22, 2012 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book on a whim. It was, and may still be, offered for free on Kindle Books. The Ominbus Edition contains all three books in the trilogy: Empire, Confederation and the Final Battle.

I LOVED EMPIRE! I was quickly sucked into the story of Reza, a boy that grows up in a world of Human vs. Kreelan war. He has an orphan, that only has a few ties to the human world. One being his fried Nicole. He is then kidnapped by the Kreelans and forced to live among them into adulthood. Once I got
Tom Cameron
In Her Name is a science-fiction trilogy detailing the end of a war between the Kreelan Empire and the Human Confederation. My reaction to it was mixed. I found that the first book in the series, Empire, was breathtaking. The second book, Confederation, was also very good but the final book in the novel, Final Battle, was a bit of mess.

There were two problems that got worse as the trilogy progressed, narrator comments and the mixing of fantasy into a science-fiction universe.

The first issue both
Bob
Aug 01, 2014 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, soft-sci-fi
It's awkward to review the book this way, because really this was an omnibus of three books together, and they're quite a bit different. Book 1 is one boy's story about being kidnapped and raised by a cliche militaristic, xenophobic alien race. Book 2 is more like my kind of space opera, where you have a huge geopolitical story around how humanity is going to treat this guy who's been raised by humanity's worst enemies, and Book 3 is the conclusion, bringing everything together.

There's basically
Lisa Hall
Mar 30, 2012 Lisa Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Reza Gard, a human boy orphaned by the war, sent to the equivalent of a work house where he again encounters the Kreelan who killed his parents and is taken to the alien homeworld as part of an experiment to investigate whether humans have 'souls' (in the understanding of the aliens) or whether they are simply animals.

The first chapter is a prologue and reads nothing like the rest of the book. I haven't cried this much while reading since the Horse Whisperer. I don't like sa
Rachel
Sep 20, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
I liked this book. Maybe in spite of the quality of the writing? Hicks has a robust plot and a vast world, with a cast of characters that you eagerly root for or vehemently despise. They are a little 2D: the men are either good or bad and are all incredibly macho; the women are all (apparently) stunningly beautiful; they are skilled or brilliant or funny just "because". Which makes me surprised that I still liked it, to be honest! Those things are usually a deal-breaker for me in terms of liking ...more
Lynn Hallbrooks
Dec 03, 2013 Lynn Hallbrooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met and followed Michael Hicks on twitter. Over the course of time, I downloaded this book. Recently I realized I have not read it. I am so glad that I did.

This trilogy box set straddles multiple genres very well: Science Fiction/Fantasy to be sure but also Military/War, Political Intrigue, and Romance as well as plenty of Action/Adventure to go around.

The story follows the life of Reza Gard. We first see him as a young boy. Over the course of the first book he becomes a man during some turbu
  • The Venom of Vipers
  • Walker
  • Brother's Keeper
  • Nightworld
  • Perigee
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins (First Light Chronicles, #1-3; Spinward Fringe, #0)
  • The Quest for Nobility
  • Vimana
  • Eden
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Heirs of Mars
  • The Trilisk Ruins (Parker Interstellar Travels, #1)
  • Last of the Chosen (Spirit of Empire, #1)
  • Lost Cargo
  • The Harvest
Born in 1963, Michael Hicks grew up in the age of the Apollo program and spent his youth glued to the television watching the original Star Trek series and other science fiction movies, which continues to be a source of entertainment and inspiration. Having spent the majority of his life as a voracious reader, he has been heavily influenced by writers ranging from Robert Heinlein to David Weber, a ...more
More about Michael R. Hicks...

In Her Name: Redemption (3 books)
  • Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1)
  • Confederation (In Her Name: Redemption, #2)
  • Final Battle (In Her Name: Redemption, #3)