The Accident

The Accident

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  6,940 ratings  ·  882 reviews
In this mesmerizing thriller by acclaimed author Linwood Barclay, a typical American community descends into darkness, as an ordinary man is swept into one of the most violent mysteries of modern life.

Published August 9th 2011 by Bantam (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accident

Arah-Lynda
Glenn Garber is beside himself. His wife Sheila, mother of his eight year old daughter Kelly, is dead, the result of a horrific car accident. Worse still the officer at the scene believes that Sheila is responsible for the accident that claimed the lives of two others. He wants Glenn to accept that his wife was driving under the influence, with an overwhelming amount of vodka in her system. This simply makes no sense. Sheila would never do something that stupid! As the coroner's report confirms...more
Jonetta
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

Quick Summary
What starts out as a typical ordinary day for building contractor Glen Garber and his family ends very tragically. His wife, Sheila, is killed in a car accident under confusing circumstances. As he begins to investigate the circumstances on his own after the police close the case, Glen uncovers a morass of secrets and questionable activities involving people close or connected to him.

The bottom line
This was a page turner with so many twists, turn...more
Ron Hummer
The story starts out in a ominous way. Two women are shopping for knockoff pocketbooks in Chinatown and stumble on to something that causes them to be murdered. On the surface, it’s hard for me to belive that knock off pecketbooks could be part of a murder but Barclay takes this unusual murder and turns it into a nich thriller.
Much of the story focuses on Glen Barber. He the owner of a construction business that’s fallen on hard times. Then he learns that his wife has been killed in an automo...more
Suspense Magazine
If Mr. Barclay ever decides to go into script writing for a television soap opera, he’ll have good reference material with “The Accident.” This book is chock full of characters interconnecting, with secrets around every corner. With a mini cliffhanger at the end of nearly every chapter, this story unfolds the lives of desperate people trying to hold onto a little slice of life.
One night, Glen Garber, a contractor in a Connecticut community, drives upon the scene of an accident where his wife, Sh...more
Paul Pessolano
“The Accident” by Linwood Barclay, published by Bantam Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

Sherlock Holmes once told Doctor Watson, “How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”

Linwood Barclay uses this to its maximum in his latest and best mystery/thriller, “The Accident”.

Two young ladies from Butler, Pennsylvania are celebrating a birthday by going shopping in New York. They heard of a place that sells “knockof...more
Tony
Linwood Barclay- The Accident 3 Stars

Glen Garber’s wife Sheila just died in a car accident. The circumstances seem odd as he doesn’t ever remember her driving drunk before, and now his daughter must continue going to a school where they all know her mother killed two of their fellow students. As Garber digs into the mess he discovers that all may not be as it seems in his peaceful neighbourhood. Friends may not be who they claim to be and this information may just put his family into further dan...more
Michael
"The Accident" is a thought provoking story dealing with the sale of knock off items by unwary suburbanites attempting to add to their family's income. It also details the people behind this activity and reveals that many of these items were made by young children working in miserable concitions in third world countries.

The thrilling story tells of Glen Garber becoming worried when his wife, Sheila, fails to return home from night school. He attempts to follow her route and comes upon an acciden...more
Mathura
OMG!!! I would have never in a million years guessed the ending of this book. Linwood Barclay is just a genius when it comes to thrillers. Its a fast paced book and a real page turner. I even sneaked in 20 min reading time at work during my lunch break that i never take. Can't wait to read more books from this author. I really can't say anymore about this book without giving away spoilers but I highly recommend this book.
Nick Brett
Linwood Barclay's latest thriller is a little bleak in more ways than one. Firmly set in the current recession it captures the fears and worries of a small town US community and the desperate lengths that some may go to in order to keep their heads above water.

When Glen Garber's wife dies in an apparent accident, the dark underbelly of the community starts to unravel and working through his grief, xx starts to realise there were things about his wife and their community that he had no idea abou...more
Nicola Mansfield
I'm a little behind with Barclay and glad to have gone back and caught up with this title. Barclay never disappoints me. I can always count on him presenting an unusual crime and a thriller with many twists and turns. The Accident, once again, delivers. I'll just start by saying this wasn't my favourite of the author's as I didn't find it as intense as others I've read. Oh, the twists and thrills were there but I just felt as if I knew they were coming just before they happened. There are severa...more
Luanne Ollivier
Comfy chair? Drinks? Snacks? Good lighting? Excellent! 'Cause you're not going to be getting up or stopping once you dive into Linwood Barclay's latest release - The Accident.

The opening prologue - a violent crime with a distinctly different setting caught my interest. But the foreshadowing in the first paragraph in chapter one clinched it:

"If I'd known this was our last morning, I'd have rolled over in bed and held her. But of course, if it had been possible to know something like that - if I c...more
Izzy
I borrowed this book from my Grandma as she had plenty of good things to say about it. Judging from the blurb, it was right up my street.

The prologue made me yawn until I got to the end of the scene. I wasn't hooked but I thought I would at least give the book a chance. The voice and style of the writing was rather limp and I was already considering on giving up within the first three chapters.
I pushed myself forward despite having a massive gripe with the book. This is written in first person a...more
Carolyn
Wow! A thriller that actually thrills. A quick roller coaster of a read. I found this tight, fast moving book almost impossible to put down. When I needed to do something such as eat or sleep I would open the book moments after closing it, and skip other activities; hasn't happened during a mystery for a long time.
Barclay's books belong in the same category as H. Cobin's:domestic mystery, where average people or families are caught up in mysterious and dangerous circumstances.I found the adults...more
Neil Mudde
What a roller-coaster read! if I would not have had to do "chores" I would have stayed glued reading the book until it finished.
Linwood has created a story about clandestine buying and selling of counterfeit goods being brought into the country. (U.S)
The story setting is in a small town, if you think you know your friends and neighbours, ha! think twice, Linwood takes you into people lives like no one else could.
Some of the violence I could live without however we are talking about a cut throat...more
Christine
This was an excellent thriller/mystery. The story opens with two women looking for "knock-off" designer bags in New York's Canal Street area. They stumble on the wrong place at the wrong time and are killed as witnesses.

The story shifts to a short time later in a town in Connecticut. Glen Garber cannot locate his wife and frantic he drives looking for her. He comes upon an accident scene and his wife is one of the victims. The police feel that she was drunk and fell asleep near an exit ramp and...more
Lisa B.
Book Overview:
It’s the new normal at the Garber household in Connecticut: Glen, a contractor, has seen his business shaken by the housing crisis, and now his wife, Sheila, is taking a business course at night to increase her chances of landing a good-paying job.
Waiting for Sheila’s return, with their eight-year-old daughter sleeping soundly, Glen soon finds his worst fears confirmed: Sheila and two others have been killed in a car accident. Adding to the tragedy, the police claim Sheila was resp...more
Patricia
Glen and Sheila Garber have been facing what so many other couples across the country are facing. The economy isn’t any better in Connecticut where they have their home than any other location in the United States. Glen is a contractor and owns his own business. His business has been shaken by the housing crisis. One of the houses he was working on burned and he is not sure that the insurance is going to cover the loss. Sheila is attending night classes in the hope of landing a better job. Sheil...more
Bill Garrison
Linwood Barclay is a rising star of the thriller genre, often being compared to Harlan Coben. His newest novel, THE ACCIDENT, is another book that you won't be able to put down, and it is filled with twists you won't see coming. I really like that Barclay creates heroes that aren't super-heroes. Glen Garber is married, has a daughter, and runs a construction business. He didn't used to be in the CIA, or a a Navy Seal, or have a friend that could easily dispose of five mercenaries at once. Nor is...more
Stella
I finished this book in about one and a half, two days. It was a page turner, not necessarily because it extremely swept me up and interested me but more because I just wanted to get it over with. It's very simply written, and that's probably because the author is the type to churn out these types of novels and he wants them to appeal to the masses.

I have a number of pet peeves about this book.
First, it switches between first and third person a lot (each chapter is a new character's thoughts or...more
Dorothy
Mar 27, 2013 Dorothy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dorothy by: for Book Club
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Cleanly written, The Accident is a light, fast read. The mystery portion is easily solvable in the first 100 pages and not particularly engaging. Ostensibly a thriller, there was very little tension or peril regarding the protagonist or his family.

The accident of the title occurs at the very beginning of the book. The wife (Sheila) of the main protagonist (Glen) is found dead in a car that is parked across an off-ramp. Another car had plowed into it and those occupants are also dead. It is quick...more
K.Denae
I really liked this book. It doesn't come close to No Time For Goodbye but, I gave it five stars anyway. It's filled with suspense and unexpected turns. All the things that make up a good mystery.

This book really makes you think about what a person will do when faced with financial challenges.
Nigel Bird
Glen Garber’s wife dies in a road accident, taking out a local family in the process. Her blood is full of alcohol, yet she’s never been a big drinker.
This sits uneasily with Glen. Besides having to cope with the emotional stresses of the loss, he’s got to look after his daughter and continue a battle to keep his business afloat.
His journey takes him into the world of counterfeit goods, but the bags and the prescription drugs aren’t the only fakes he encounters – it seems that practically every...more
Titas
"Nothing is what it seems"
Glen is in contracting business and things are looking a bit low in case of money. His wife says she has a new way of making some money and just then she dies in an accident. She gets way too drunk and stops her car at the middle of road at midnight while driving back home while another car hits it. But Glen is not ready to take this as it looks because Sheila never had any drinking problem. And then starts a ride of friends calling about something more important than S...more
Annie
I've never read a Linwood Barclay book I haven't enjoyed, and this one was well up to the usual standard. He really has to be one of the masters of sharp twists and turns and the unexpected - this one is break-neck all the way through, with people you get to know and care about, and some of the final twists were a real surprise. The clues are there throughout though - very clever plotting, and a really flowing read.
M.
4 bright stars! Where have I been that this author has slipped under my radar until now? He is terrific.

This books has layer after layer after layer of misdeeds. Each one lands soundly atop the other. The central character is clearly defined, believable and likeable, and the reader goes along with him as he sorts through the mess his dead wife has left behind.
Amy Brown
A pulp thriller about a sleepy Connecticut suburb with a hidden underbelly of organized crime. This started up pretty well but by the end of the book the body count was so high and there were so many twists that beggared credibility that I was pretty happy to put the book down.
Michelle
The Accident is surrounded by mystery. Unlike some books where the reader is aloud to see and hear things the main character can not, in The Accident the reader unravels the mystery at the same pace as Glen. At times this is good because you are confused with him as he tries to sort out the facts, at other times, mainly towards the beginning of the book, the lack of information makes it difficult to hold that much interest in the story.

As he delves deeper into his neighbours personal lives it se...more
Ray Palen
Quite frankly, Linwood Barclay is the King of the Suburban Thriller. After starting his career off with a handful of darkly-comic mysteries, he turned his career in a sinister (and quite prosperous) direction with the release of NO TIME FOR GOODBYE in 2007. That novel featured a young girl who wakes up to find her entire family has disappeared without a word. Twenty years later, she thinks she might have seen her long-lost brother --- and then the flood-gates open. That remains my favorite Barcl...more
Bookworm
This was a book that I collected from the library just before Christmas after waiting what seemed like an age for it to become available. Despite being on leave for 10 days, I chose the day I returned to work to finally delve into it.

Problem. The library wants the book back in just over a week and won't allow me to renew because other lovely members want to read it too.

So either I get my skates on and get reading, I buy it for my kindle at inflated cost or I wait for it to come out in paperback...more
Terri Lynn
I loved this book! This is the first Linwood Barclay novel I have ever read but I am now planning to get his others.

It all begins when building contractor Glen Garber is waiting at home with his 8 year old daughter Kelly for his wife Sheila to return home from her night class. It is set in the current economy and Sheila wants to be able to help with the office work of his business.

When Sheila does not answer her cell and none of her friends have seen her, Glen puts a sleeping Kelly in the truck...more
Psychological Thr...: The Accident (FREE FOR ALL! SPOILERS) 15 79 Apr 28, 2014 09:31AM
Psychological Thr...: The Accident General Disccusion (SPOILER FREE) 1 14 Mar 31, 2014 11:06PM
INTERVIEW WITH LINWOOD BARCLAY 7 75 Aug 25, 2012 01:56AM
  • You're Next
  • The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)
  • Three Weeks To Say Goodbye
  • The Last 10 Seconds
  • Watch Me Die
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • Iron House
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Killer Move
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
  • Black Out
  • Stray Bullets (Detective Greene, #3)
  • Fallen (Will Trent, #5)
After spending his formative years helping run a cottage resort and trailer park after his father died when he was 16, Linwood Barclay got his first newspaper job at the Peterborough Examiner, a small Ontario daily. In 1981, he joined the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest circulation newspaper.

He held such positions as assistant city editor, chief copy editor, news editor, and Life section editor, be...more
More about Linwood Barclay...
No Time for Goodbye Never Look Away Too Close to Home Fear the Worst Trust Your Eyes