Start by marking “Mine!” as Want to Read:
Mine!

Mine!

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Have you ever had a toy you really really liked? Have you ever had a lot of toys you really really liked?

Have you ever said "MINE!"?

If so, this book is for you!

Enjoy this adorable, playful, picture-based book about two very young children and an adorable dog navigating the troubles and triumphs of sharing.
Published June 14th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mine!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine!

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
56th out of 142 books — 225 voters
Fallen Idols by Mark  MillerNew Kids on the Rock by Mark  MillerDown Under Thunder by Mark  MillerThe Adventures of Cefa the Cat, Cefa Finds a Home by Cristine CatonMaulie's Pocket by Carla VanKoughnett
New Children's Books of 2011
9th out of 50 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Dec 26, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: very young children, particularly ages 2-4 & for discussing sharing
A dog and two toddlers, and not sharing and sharing is the scope of this virtually wordless picture book. The word mine is included many times, but this is otherwise a story told through pictures.

It’s very cute and definitely accurately captures the play and toy possessiveness of most very young children. The dog was so funny and I was amused by the entire account. The dog’s exuberance, and that of the children, is a joy to behold.

This story is suitable for the youngest child, and might be a ter
Carolynne
The lively, humorous illustrations (digital pencil sketches) carry the story in this nearly wordless picture book. The two toddlers and the puppy in the story have a wonderful time, and you will, too.

Tina Andrade
Crum, S. (2011). Mine! New York: Alfred A. Knopf.

-Starred Review Publishers Weekly 2011.
-Starred Review Kirkus Reviews 2011.
-Starred Review School Library Journal 2011.
-School Library Journal, Best Books of the Year, 2011.
-SCBWI Crystal Kite Award winner, 2012.

Wordless.

This is an adorable little book as far as wordless books go, but I am biased to books with only pictures. I personally am just not a fan. However, this story clearly illustrates a young child acting out because she thinks absolut
Alyson
Very cute, very funny book about sharing(or not) and first friends. I love that we are down on the floor with the toddlers and only see the adults from the knees down.
Cheryl Rainfield
This is a book I’ve been meaning to review for a while; I first read it as a hardcover picture book and fell in love with it. I recently got the board book as well, and fell in love with it all over again.

In Mine, a toddler who has trouble with sharing learns not only to share, but to make friends–with both the baby and the dog.

This delightful picture book is almost wordless; the only two words that appear are “mine” and “woof” (from the dog).
Shutta captured the childlike joy of play and copying
Brunette Librarian
For a book that only has two words, "Mine" is a delightful telling of two siblings, their dog, and an argument over their toys. Of the two words, I bet you can't figure out which one plays an important role in the story! (Insert grin here!)
It's a tale as old as time. Sharing. It isn't easy, it isn't fun, but we all must do it. In this tale by Shutta Crum, two siblings have to learn this lesson the hard way. When the baby reaches for a toy, the toddler grabs it away and tells him, "Mine!" The s
Lauren Fogg
Two young children are playing with toys. The older, a little boy, begins collecting the toys as he informs the other child, which I am to assume is his baby sister, that those toys belong to him. The little boy even takes the ball away from the dog and exclaims "Mine!" Eventually a stray toy makes it's way into the hands of the baby sister who gives the toy a toss. It lands directly into the dog's water bowl. The little boy witnesses this and a moment later, dumps all the toys into the water di ...more
Melissa
Definitely appreciated this one after four or five times going through it to make sure I was seeing everything in the pictures. There's a really nice sequencing of events here, endpaper-to-endpaper, showing how you get from a nice clean kitchen with a tidy pile of toys to a sopping mess. (One thing falls in the water, all the things must fall in the water; toddler pats the dog and says, "Mine!", so the baby tackles the toddler and says, "Mine!")

I'm not sure it's a baby or young toddler book, des
Barbara
Two siblings, one a toddler, one a little bit older, lay claim to all the toys in their dominion, and when the family dog gets in on the action, the little one ends up toddling over to his big sister and claiming her for his own with a big, "Mine!" The double-page spread that shows him crouching and then slowly, painstakingly, standing on his own two feet before flopping on his surprised sister is quite clever and realistic. The endpapers showing the two family members reaching out to each other ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The toddler picks up toys scattered around the feet of the two children and announces firmly, “Mine.” The baby grabs one remaining toy and tosses it into the air where it lands in the dog’s water bowl with an enormous splash. The toddler picks up all the toys and tosses them into the water bowl. The dog collects all the wet toys and gathers them up in a heap under himself, announcing, “Woof?” The toddler pats the dog’s head, saying, “Mine!” The baby, falteringly, stands, walks a few steps, and t ...more
Sandy Carlson
Can an author write a book using only one word? I can answer that in one word: YES.

Cute story line, although this is nearly a wordless tale.

Recommended for toddlers and preschoolers.
Kirsten
This 'easy reader' follows two toddlers and their dog as they learn how to share.

The Easy reader can be concerned great or horrible it depends on what you are looking for your pre-reader to get from a book. This book, I feel, would not be very useful for most pre-readers. There are only two words used in the story: "mine" and "woof". Therefore this book would not be very useful as a bed time story. Also the pictures are not clearly or sharply painted. So it could be hard for younger readers to
Katie Fitzgerald
I think the great thing about this book is that kids who can talk can tell the entire story themselves, without any help from an adult. Everything they see in the illustrations is something they can likely name, and the story is something they can relate to, so it would be easy for them to put their own words to the pictures. The facial expressions and body movements of both the children in the story also make for some laugh out loud funny moments, and really portray all the mischief and movemen ...more
Becky
Very simple story that reflects a little one. The pictures are what make the book.
Janie
Language-learning studies show that birth order influences what word sets and types are in children's first working vocabulary. Younger siblings tend to be more likely to use "mine" sooner. Perhaps not surprisingly, they generally seem to have more of a habit of verbalizing when claiming territory.

I was hoping for the book to be an illustration of this, intended or not, as I knew before coming to it that "mine" is Mine's only word (besides one stray "woof").

On first reading I thought I didn't ge
Kathryn
A very cute, humorous story that captures beautifully that feeling of possessiveness kids (and some adults!) feel about their toys, especially with a new little sibling in the house. The nuances of the story are almost entirely in the illustrations (the repeated word "Mine!" is really the only text) and Barton does a wonderful job. (I also loved her work in Sweet Moon Baby). The little dog is very cute, too, and I liked the resolution to the conflict.
Vitta
Замечательная книжка для деток 3-4 лет о том, что жадиной быть не хорошо и нужно учиться делиться с друзьями. Во всей книжке встречается только одно слово "МОЁ" и куча замечательных рисунков, из которых все становится ясно))))
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I LOVE THIS BOOK! There are only two words in here. "Mine!" and "Woof?" But the story is so well crafted. It is yet another one where the pictures tell all the story--and what a great story it is. This is about a toddler, a baby, a dog, and a whole pile of toys. You can guess who thinks that baby should not play with the toys because they are "Mine!" But what you can't guess is the brilliant ending. I LOVE IT! Go find it, go read it, go love it too!
Candice
Sep 08, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Only two words in this book - Mine and Woof - but what a story! A baby, a toddler, and a dog are sitting by a pile of toys. The toddler proceeds to pick up each of the toys and proclaim them "Mine." The pictures are hilarious, as the dog's water dish becomes involved. And the end is a real heart-warmer, as the baby learns a new word and makes a new friend. Great, expressive illustrations of two sweet little tykes, and a dog who likes to play.
Catarina
This was probably one the the sweetest children books I ever, ever read! It's simple, cute and the drawings are breath taking. As the description says it starts out by showing the "mine!", "mine!" faze that all children go trough but then it enters the magic of sharing and no words are needed for that. I adore it and I going to try and get a physic copy of it!
Debbie Hoskins
This is a very fun book almost wordless. I think you could have wonderful conversations with your 1 to 3 year olds with it.

Shutta Crum is a wonderful, creative person - who has published quite a few books now. She was even invited to an Easter egg hunt at Laura Bush's White House. She put in her dues as a teacher of writing and a librarian.
jacky
This book tells a story using only the word "mine." Given that, the illustrations play a huge role. I happen to love the illustrations and find them adorable and playful. I was expecting more of a direct story about sharing, but its more subtle. The two children do figure out how to play together and use the word mine to express love.
Cheryl
Nov 04, 2011 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: families with young children/sibling rivalry
The text in this picture-book is so minimal that it could almost be considered wordless. But the art! The baby, toddler and dog just about jump off the page with exuberance! The expressions and movement capture the age beautifully. Humor and warmth jump off every page. I think it would be a fun family read for very young children.
Becky
This is book is more for parents than kids, but little ones in the "mine" stage will have fun chiming along. An older sibling proclaims all toys his ("mine") when baby sister comes along to play. A charming dog saves the day and brings everyone together. At the end, baby sister has a "mine" of her own. Sweet!
Deborah
A toddler informs his baby sister about what is his - "Mine!". Baby sister is a fast learner as demonstrated in the end where she stakes her claim on her most prized possession: older brother.

The children are very cute and the illustrations convey the message with only a few words complimenting them.

Baby.
Melanie
A mostly wordless picture book about a very young child who is under the impression that every single toy his sibling is playing with belongs to him. Sound familiar parents? After one toy lands in the dogs water dish, all of the toys end up in the water dish. Then the dog gets involved.

Quite humorous.
Kris
Nearly wordless (except for the words "mine!" and "woof!"), this is a story any kid can relate to and read independently after hearing it read aloud. A toddler is trying to keep all his toys ("Mine!") out of the reach of the baby and the dog, but finds in the end that sharing is more fun. Cute, cute, cute!
Kate Hastings
Ages 2-3. Adorable mostly wordless picture book about a toddler that steals her sister/friend's toys because they are "mine." And then the dog gets hold of a toy. A water dish makes things messy. And all parties are pleased with the results. Love the soft pictures and the exuberance of the child.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This two-word picture book is simply delightful. two young toddlers are playing with toys and one declares that everything is his...many "mines" later and a woof from the dog and there is a mess and lots of giggles. Parents and young toddlers will enjoy looking at this book together.
Sandy Brehl
Nearly wordless, realistic competitiveness without aggressiveness, expressive and detailed illustrations that require more reading than the two words of the text (mine, woof). Certain to be reread and enjoyed by the very young and their adult readers.
  • Red Sled
  • Three by the Sea
  • Mitchell's License
  • Shadow
  • The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man
Shutta Crum, an award-winning writer of books for children and poetry for adults, is a storyteller and a retired youth librarian who was awarded the Mich. Library Assoc. Award of Merit as youth librarian of the year (2002). She is also an educator who taught writing at the high school and college level, and to third-graders under the auspices of the Mich. Council for the Arts. Currently her presen ...more
More about Shutta Crum...
Thomas and the Dragon Queen Thunder-Boomer! Dozens of Cousins The Bravest of the Brave Who Took My Hairy Toe?