Start by marking “Thor: For Asgard” as Want to Read:
Thor: For Asgard

Thor: For Asgard (Thor, Volume I & Miniseries)

Get ready for an epic adventure showcasing the God of Thunder as you've never seen him before! The vassals of Asgard are in armed revolt...Odin is missing...Balder is dead...and the entire continent is battered by a years-long winter. How can Thor put the empire back together - especially with his mighty hammer Mjolnir mysteriously denied him?

Collecting: Thor: For Asgard 1
Published May 18th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Thor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor

Anne
Dec 29, 2011 Anne rated it it was ok
For Asgard is for fans of Thor in...well, Asgard.
I'm not one of those fans, so this sucked Big Time for me. I've never really been into Thor's adventures on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. Running around in animal pelts, and fighting goblins (or whatever) is just not my thing. Yay for you, if that's what you enjoy.
The art could have been cool, but something was just off about it. It was distracting and weird. Almost like someone had spilled water on the pages, so that everything looked a
Sandra
My very first Thor/Marvel comic.. this was my early Sinterklaas present to myself. I had always said that, despite loving the Marvel movies, I would not buy the comics because there are so many and they are so expensive, but then I found this adorable little comic store in town (Whoops Comics, come on, you love it already just because the name is so perfect) today that I didn't know existed and I ended up taking this little beauty home. It cost me quite a bit of money but I fell in love with the ...more
David
The art work in this graphic novel is incredible. Italian illustrator Simone Bianchi uses colour and shade to bring the characters of Asgard vividly to life. Coupled with Robert Rodi's unique take on the travails of the Thunder God, as he arrives to assume the mantle of his father, Odin, this is a captivating read. Methinks I must verily look for more in this particular story arc!
Paul
May 05, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
Great art! I don't know who this Simone Bianchi guy is, but damn! he draws good!
Good story... always nice to see Gods get their asses handed to em.
And I guess we humans can teach Giants a thing or two... sadly.
Luiz Fernando
Oct 13, 2016 Luiz Fernando rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-comics
Amazing art and colors! Unfortunately, the story is not as good as the previous works from Rob Rodi (Loki).
Peterscoggins
Apr 23, 2011 Peterscoggins rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
There were definitely glimmers of greatness here, but extensive caricaturization as opposed to characterization (and then what little there was, was out of step with the characters as I know them), a far too brief climb of Yggdrasil (truly a heroic feat given extreme short shrift here) followed by a whoopee cushion resolution requiring narrative assurance as to its existence, and no end to the tale in sight, all combine to make it a why-bother affair.

Bianchi's art is nice as always and different
Russell Olson
Both the writer and the artist seemed very talented and capable, but there was just too much ot "it." I tend to like art work that is simpler, refined and immaculately formed. Sometimes, excellent draftsmen don't make the best cartoonists, they get too wrapped up in the detail to move the story along. There were quite a few moments where I had to flip back and forth through the book to make sure I knew what was going on. I don't think you should ever have to do this when reading a comic. ...more
Mark
Jun 10, 2011 Mark rated it did not like it
This one's been getting rave reviews from the cognoscenti; and I've always loved Thor (from the comics to the Norse myths); and what with the movie coming out, I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, I found FOR ASGARD close to unreadable. Bianchi's artwork is HEAVY METAL lite (and not the glory years of HM-rather, the late '90's when it devolved to third-rate fantasy crap) and slows down the storytelling while offering few pleasure during the traffic jam. Rodi seems to have had a few good ...more
Feather Mista
Apr 14, 2014 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y del personaje
Recommended to Feather by: Su dibujo
El dibujo es sencillamente espectacular. Aunque, vaya a saber uno por qué, no me gustó tanto como en "Siete Soldados de la Victoria: Caballero Brillante". Supongo que porque, aunque la narrativa de Bianchi sigue siendo de lo más original y brillante, al estar en función del a historia me enganché más con aquella epopeya que con esta, y eso que méritos no le faltan. El guion de Rodi es fuerte y bien armado, aunque tanta "epiceidad" termina desdibujando un poquitín a los personajes. De todos modos ...more
Maria Rita - The EM's Library
Fantastico! Una chicca che tutti gli amanti di Thor non possono lasciarsi scappare. Mi riempie di orgoglio aver scoperto fumettisti italiani così capaci come Simone Bianchi, le sue tavole sono incredibili, una più bella dell'altra. Inoltre nell'edizione completa di Thor per Asgard, le ultime pagine sono dedicate a due parti dello Sketchbook in cui possiamo ammirare vari bozzetti che lasciano senza parole. Un fumetto che mi ha stupito e meravigliato sotto diversi punti di vista. Davvero ...more
Clayton
Sep 03, 2013 Clayton rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it, and I've liked other stuff that Simone Bianchi has drawn, but the story lost me pretty quickly, and I ended up skimming the second half of the book. Also, I wasn't terribly impressed by the art - there were several awkward figures (including one where Thor appears to have an exposed female breast), and the colors seemed too fuzzy and without any kind of dynamics or color contrast. So the visuals just didn't work for me on a lot of levels. Ah well, there's better Thor stories ...more
Joe Young
Jun 15, 2011 Joe Young rated it liked it
Robert Rodi - writer
Simone Bianchi - illustrator

3/5 stars

Pretty cool story about Thor taking over for Odin and having to deal with a bucnh of crises perpetrated by a mysterious, hidden enemy. The art in this volume is really stellar; Ms. Bianchi has an lovely, watercolor-like style that fits the epicness of Thor quite well. Worth a read if you are an old-school Thor fan, or enjoyed the recent movie.
Colin Moore
Jan 12, 2013 Colin Moore rated it really liked it
The story was heartbreaking, seeing Thor brought to such a low point.
The paneling and layouts were breathtaking--the way they all flowed together and were actually part of the art.
The art...well, it was hit or miss. The shading and rendering was beautiful, but the anatomy got a little strange at time. And then there's Thor's striped cod piece. And the scantily clad warriors in the middle of a four-year winter.
Viridian5
May 22, 2012 Viridian5 rated it did not like it
The story here is more a sketch of the goings-on than an actual fleshing out. There are parts that should be epic, but we just don't have enough time to show or develop them because now we're off to the next thing. Then the storyline stops instead of concludes, with nothing settled. It felt like such a waste of time.

The art looks cool from a distance but busy and sometimes ugly up close with its mess of lines and sometimes odd angles. People don't even look like people in some cases.
Clark Provence
Jan 17, 2014 Clark Provence rated it it was ok
Making an effort to get around to some of the comics/collected editions which have been sitting on the shelf entirely too long. This one has attractive artwork from the ever-reliable Simone Bianchi and the story gets off to a compelling start, but the back half of the series suffers from too many needless contrivances and an underwhelming conclusion.
Helena R-D
Jan 19, 2012 Helena R-D rated it it was amazing
It was not the usual cheery offering, but it certainly showcased how dark the myths could be when showcased properly. Very murky and also showed Thor in a completely different light. It surprised me, since people tend to write him as good hearted, but not a sharp pencil. This showed a more balanced Thor and I like it, despite the haunting feeling left long after the book has been read.
Mark Smiley
Jan 26, 2014 Mark Smiley rated it liked it
The art caught my eye, reminding me of Frank Frazetta. But Thor does not have his beard, which is wrong to have a clean shaven God of Thunder. The lettering was hard to get used to and again, things did not flow well.
Mathew Carruthers
May 10, 2015 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
The art was amazing, the story good, but not really typical of the average Thor title. I don't regularly read Thor, so I felt a bit lost trying to put everything into context in the greater Marvel universe. Worth a look for the art alone.
NaomiRuth
Sep 17, 2013 NaomiRuth rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, af, series, graphic-novels
I think I liked this better than the other Thor comic I read by Rodi.

I like Idunn.

Still bothered by Hella. Whaaaat are you not wearing?

Interesting play of politics. I liked the play of the idea of what happens when Thor tries to become his father instead of being himself.
Angela
Jan 26, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do like the Thor books but this one was slightly boring. Asgard is in danger, and Thor commits war crimes. He needs redemption to save everybody. the art was interesting but I kept getting distracted by Thor's naked chest, it looked a lot like a woman's at times. Strange indeed.
Steve Quist
Oct 01, 2014 Steve Quist rated it it was ok
The art is amazing. The story? Meh. Seemed like it needed to be longer with more details, maybe another issue or two would have filled in a little better.
LauraJade
Jan 20, 2014 LauraJade rated it really liked it
Incredible artwork - and I do prefer Robert Rodi's more adult Thor stories, like Jason Aaron's current run, it's more realistically 'viking'.
Sonja
May 09, 2013 Sonja rated it it was ok
The story itself was not good, but I liked the way it was drawn - so two stars due the nice style of drawing.
Brendan Howard
Jun 10, 2012 Brendan Howard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Thor, myth, and beautiful art.
Shelves: comic-books
Rodi tries, I think successfully, for an ancient feel of great drama, long speeches, and slightly repetitive exposition.
Alice Delacroix
Alice Delacroix rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Dylan Rule
Dylan Rule rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Jonathan Varela
Jonathan Varela rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Aladino
Aladino rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Isavarg
Isavarg rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Chayce
Chayce rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin
  • Gambit Classic, Vol. 1
  • The Mighty Avengers, Vol. 5: Earth's Mightiest
  • Avengers: The Korvac Saga
Robert was born in Chicago in the conformist 1950s, grew up in the insurrectionist 1960s, came of age in the hedonist 1970s, and went to work in the elitist 1980s. This roller-coaster ride has left him with a distinct aversion to isms of any kind; it also gave him an ear for hypocrisy, cant, and platitudes that allowed him, in the 1990s, to become a much-lauded social satirist.

After seven acclaime
More about Robert Rodi...

Thor, Volume I & Miniseries (1 - 10 of 84 books)
  • Thor Epic Collection: The God of Thunder
  • Thor Epic Collection: War of the Pantheons
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor, Vol. 1
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 1
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 2
  • Thor: Tales of Asgard
  • Essential Thor, Vol. 3
  • Thor: World Engine
  • Thor: Son of Asgard (Thor: Son of Asgard, #1-12)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor, Vol. 2