Thor: The World Eaters

Thor: The World Eaters (Marvel Comics Thor)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In the wake of SIEGE, Asgard must take its proper place as the Golden Realm, most glorious of the nine worlds of myth. But that means Thor's home isn't just a beacon...it's a target! And what happens to the Asgardians and the denizens of all nine worlds -- including Earth! -- when a dark, destructive force from another reality comes on the warpath?
Published June 1st 2011 by Marvel

Anne
You know what I miss? I miss the days when Straczynski was writing Thor. When he was writing this, I forgot that Thor was a guy who had wings on his helmet, whacked evildoers with a mallet, and shouted things like, " Come forth villain, and meet thy doom! ". With Fraction writing this...that's all I notice.
And I'm really sorry to say that, because I love what he did for Iron Man.

This whole story with the World Tree nonsense was boring. For a few panels there was some fun interaction bet...more
Michael
Thor is Epic. Thor's stories are about the Norse gods, so they need to be big and world shattering. Although I'm not convinced of this. I don't think Thor needs to be an epic tale every time. In the Thor the Mighty Avenger book Thor the Mighty Avenger - Volume 1, I would say his story is very less epic. It's more a personal story of one man's journey to discover who he is.

Which brings me to World Eaters. This is one of Thor Epic stories. This is a story about a warrior race from another dimensi...more
Sesana
I picked this up because I was interested in the Kid Loki stuff, and I wanted to see where it started. Ok, fair enough. And I did find the stuff that directly related to Kid Loki interesting enough. On an emotional level, I do get Thor wanting back the brother that he loved when they were children. Honestly, I would expect that Thor has felt that very thing many times over the years, and this might be his chance. So I have no problem with the premise of the story, and I am interested to see how...more
Jaime
It was hinted at, specifically in Avengers Prime, that having Asgard on Earth would have negative consequences. Now it’s time to pay the piper. When Asgard left its former place, the hole it created allowed a race of beings from a dying universe to break into this one. They begin to rampage across the nine realms, slaughtering all before them.

In addition to the inevitable battle against the World Eaters, two other critical events happen in this collection: the resurrection of Odin and the resurr...more
***Dave Hill
This collection read better as individual issues than all together. Fraction repeats exposition far too frequently, and the final conflict of the story comes across too much as deus ex machina (so to speak) than reasonable resolutions to the dire events occurring. Fraction goes for the big cosmic, but ends up with the pretty but incomprehensible.

The Return of Loki is good, even touching, but is far too rushed.

Pasqual Ferry's art is lovely.
Sara
After the Siege of Asgard, the Asgardian's attempts to rebuild are interrupted by an invasion force that is sweeping across all of the nine worlds and will not rest until Asgard - and our Earth, that it now rests within - are destroyed.

I didn't not like this comic. It was perfectly good comic. There were lots of fun character bits - Kid Loki is always amazing, Solvang's introduction was fun - and the overall plot was... workable. I'm afraid I'm a bit burnt out on "terrible menace from a dimensio...more
Mike
Lots of big, universe-stretching action but not a lot of sense. Almost feels like Fraction is phoning it in. The big quantum-universe subplot seemed to have no particular point (unless it's a setup for later volumes). A few touches of humour but not so much of the zany.

The .1 issue was complete filler, no use to me.
Chris
I was disappointed. I wanted more Thor and less everything else. The double page panels were difficult to follow and unnecessarily excessive. The opening with 3 or 4 pages of the same panel was dumb. It's bad when my favourite part was the Ironman cameo. Hmmm maybe Faction should stick with Ironman?
Silas
There were interesting, epic things going on here, but it almost seemed like significant portions of the story were missing, since a lot of things were not explained. I think this was an attempt to bring the mystical Thor from earlier comics into line with the "aliens-who-look-like-they-are-using-magic-but-are-really-using-advanced-technology" Thor of the cinematic universe (which is conveniently came out right around when this came out). It leads up to other events that I have read, and which m...more
Alex
I am currently on an epic read through of thor and journey into mystery anthologies, focusing on the works of Kieren Gillen. I had read several reviews saying that Matt Fraction's The World Eaters was a poor addition to the series. However, I wanted to read about the birth of kid Loki and thought I would ignore the reviews. Even with lowered expectations, this book was still pretty disappointing. The story is primitive and the characters come accross as one dimensional. It does fill the hole bet...more
Rusty
If I'd written this review a few days ago, when I actually read this, I might have given it four stars, but the fact that it's been a few days and I have absolutely no idea what this was about probably means it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever come across.

I think I liked it.

... okay, it bugged me enough that I went over the the shelf and thumbed through it. It was about one of Odin's brothers that was evil. And then Odin was worried that he would destroy the earth... wait... dammit.... let...more
Josef Suatengco
April
(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian)

4.5 Stars - I don’t have much to say about this one because really it was just super-engaging thanks to Matt Fraction’s quick-pace story and dazzingly beautiful thanks to Pasqual Ferry’s artwork.

I really just loved everything about this graphic novel, especially just the real evidence that Thor loves his brother Loki and wants to make him less of a mess. And having him look after a teen version of his brother was amusing. I can’t wait to see what comes of that....more
William Axtell
O.K. First, the best thing about this book. The art is ACHINGLY beautiful. Honestly, it is the most exquisite art I have ever seen and perfectly fitted to Thor. It's almost worth reading just to lose yourself in this world. However, the story, while trying to be important and epic, just feels a bit flat and yet again Asgard gets a kicking in what basically boils down to a bunch of thugs destroying large sections of the world tree before having a big battle in Asgard-upon-Midgard. I'm really sick...more
William Thomas
Whosoever writes this book, if he be worthy, shall possess the power Kirby!

And that's what we have here. A tale that could have been torn right out of the early days of Thor. It puts the man And the myth right where he should be- in the middle of myth and science fiction, an amalgam of both. It also helps us to forget about all of the bad old days with Ordway and Busiek.

My biggest complaint with the book is that Pasqual Ferry may be a talented artist, but that he has very little concept of how...more
Patrick Shand
A stunning start to Matt Fraction's run. Epic, funny, human, and beautifully-illustrated. It keeps the momentum of the JMS run and SIEGE going... which is saying a lot. Fantastic.
Aaron
Overall, another great story from Fraction. Between this, Iron Fist, and Iron Man, he has solidified himself as one of my favorite modern comics authors. He doesn't hesitate to launch directly into high-concept ideas, deftly blending science and myth without losing an ounce of tension. The only thing I disliked was his rapid dismissal of several decisions Straczynski made with his incredible (and better) Thor run, to the point that it almost feels retconned. But the core of Fraction's changes li...more
Angela
There is a gap where Asgard used to be, and something means to fill it. In the meantime, Asgard on Earth is still recovering from the events of Siege. This is a decent read, though I felt that it was written just to reintroduce a character in a different way. It feels like an end too. A good read.
Helena R-D
I loved this book, since it was about Thor's personality. Usually, the idea is that Thor is pretty shallow and a warrior, but this shows a different side of him. My favourite part was when he admitted that he missed Loki and brought him back. His interactions with the reborn Loki are touching among the backdrop of murder and chaos that the World Eaters are bringing to all the worlds.

The way that they resolve the problem was honestly not what I was expecting and it was worth the money.

The art wa...more
Cerys
Beautiful artwork and portrayal of characters, especially of that between Loki and Thor. Story is well done but lacking something, but still a really enjoyable read.
Shannon Appelcline
Fraction’s main tale of The World Eaters is quite a nice blend of mythic fantasy and science fantasy that I think Jack Kirby would have been proud of. It’s also got entirely beautiful art with terrific coloring. I really don’t understand all the hatred for this volume, though I would agree that the double-page panels are hard to follow in a TPB [8/10]. Sadly, the .1 issue the ends things off is a let-down; I’m increasingly convinced that it’s almost impossible to tell an interesting story in the...more
Talk Comix
Two words..... Still crap
TJ Shelby
P Fosten
It was an interesting story, dealing with the after effects of Asgard's fall to Midgard (Earth). I'm not a massive Thor fan (except for the Simonson stuff) so I probably would have skipped this except for the fact it's drawn by Pascal Ferry. The art is beautifully painted and a wonder to look at. It makes me wish for the days when the UK reprints were A4 size so I could put the spreads on my wall. Entertaining and worth reading.
Sonic
I tired to not to bring too high of expectations to this, after being so enamored with Fraction's recent work in Iron Man, but even so, I was kinda disappointed. I mostly love Pasqual Ferry's artwork too, but though the build-up was nice,
the actual conflict/resolution was very muddled and confusing both in the writing and in the art. This led to an anti-climatic feeling at the end.

Is it just me?
Amalia Dillin
This book felt really disjointed to me. The art is fantastic, but the writing almost felt as though Fraction had a list of things he wanted to do, and he just DID them to check them off the list, without any consideration for the characters which JMS had rebuilt. And Thor is just... the worst. This isn't the Thor I learned to love with JMS's run. It's like he's a totally different character, overnight.
Elizabeth
One of the best graphic novels of recent years, in which Thor, God of Thunder, misses his brother Loki, and brings him back from the dead as a young boy. While the gods of Asgard decide what to do on Earth, the crisis deepens with the coming of the World Eaters. Pasqual Ferry's beautiful art brings life to Matt Fraction's charming, exciting story of Asgardians and humans together.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Karl
An ambitious reimagining of Ragnarok, with art on a grand scale, but much of it is stuck in the gutter between pages.
Jacob
I liked certain aspects of the story and the artwork was amazing, but I expected better from the talent on this title.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman - Volume 3
  • Spider-Man: American Son
  • Winter Soldier, Vol. 2: Broken Arrow
  • Spider-Man: Death And Dating
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros (Marvel Now)
  • X-Men: Curse of the Mutants
  • Gambit, Vol. 1: Once A Thief...
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 4: The Mortal Iron Fist
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art...more
More about Matt Fraction...
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet