Start by marking “Penrod and Sam” as Want to Read:
Penrod and Sam
read book* *Different edition

Penrod and Sam (Penrod #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  17 reviews
pubOne.info thank you for your continued support and wish to present you this new edition. During the daylight hours of several autumn Saturdays there had been severe outbreaks of cavalry in the Schofield neighbourhood. The sabres were of wood; the steeds were imaginary, and both were employed in a game called "bonded pris'ner" by its inventors, Masters Penrod Schofield an...more
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Penrod and Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penrod and Sam

Erin
Loved this when I was young---read it many times.
Trish
Not quite as good as 'Penrod' but still very funny and well written.
Logan
Some more great stories about boyhood and its consequences.
Grace
Laughter is good for the bones. Penrod definitely needs a deal more spankings than he gets, but since a merry heart doeth good like a medicine, and this book is undeniably funny, sometimes a book like this is just what you need. :) Especially if you know many little boys, Penrod and his follies ring hilariously true. :D
Larry Piper
This was, in effect, a sequel to Penrod. This despite the fact that Penrod turned 12 at the end of the previous book and was "nearly 12" in this book. Whatever, it's the same cast of 11-year-old boys doing the kinds of inventive, and often naughty, things that 11-year-old boys do. Rather a fun read.
Eric
Great book! Very funny and entertaining. It's sorta like Huck Finn except all the adventure takes place near the house. Booth T has a rather dry and wry sense of humor, and I laughed out loud quite a bit. His descriptions of the characters' emotions and reactions are priceless!
Kathryn
Oh my goodness, these books are very entertaining! Penrod is a young boy with quite the active imagination which gets himself and his friends into trouble quite frequently. Very funny!
Kathryn
This is one of the most hilarious books we ever read as a family, but you do have to watch out for some ignorant racist comments.
Mark
Re-read to Madelyn. I couldn't read sometimes I was laughing so hard. I think a lot of the grandiloquence went over her head.
Helen M Bessette
Every Hoosier should have some Booth Tarkington on thier shelf and Penrod and Sam is an awesome read!
Marcus
Hilarious. Just as funny as the first Penrod book and easily one of the funniest books I have ever read.
Jaimie
Great book! Disclaimer: there is some racism incidental to the time in which it was written.
Tabi {Don't think~Just write~Tell a story}
Hilarious!!!! I was laughing so much! The scrapes the boys get into are so funny!
Gordy Seppanen
I enjoyed this just as much as I enjoyed Penrod. More shenanigans by Penrod and Sam.
Marilyn
Although written during a racist era, the Penrod character is charming.
Jennifer McMaster
Not as good as Penrod or Penrod Jashber, but still a fun read.
Anne
Dad read this on to me, which naturally increased the enjoyment.
Rasha
Rasha is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Genny
Genny is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
  • A Country Doctor
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • Vera
  • Knight's Fee
  • Cousin Henry
  • Sanctuary
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles and The Secret Adversary (Complete Mystery Novel Collection of Agatha Christie Vol. 1)
  • Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  • The Complete Works
  • Three by Annie Dillard: The Writing Life, An American Childhood, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Lost Prince
  • The Pushcart War
  • The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by the Irish Sailor Saints
  • The Prince and Betty
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
Booth Tarkington was an American novelist and dramatist best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novels The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams.
More about Booth Tarkington...
The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2) Alice Adams Penrod Seventeen The Turmoil (The Growth Trilogy, #1)