Start by marking “Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)” as Want to Read:
Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)

Vixen (Inspector Brant #5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  34 reviews
For the Southeast London police squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business as usual. The Vixen, the most sensuos, crazed female serial killer ever, is masterminding a series of lethal explosions. She is unpredictable, wild, angry--and the cops don't even know she exists.

Meanwhile, Inspector Roberts is helpless to stop the explosions and his subordinates aren't doing much bet
Published August 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vixen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vixen

Diane
"Inspector Brant is back in the latest from Shamus, Barry, Macavity, and Edgar Award finalist Ken Bruen For the Southeast London police squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business as usual. The Vixen, a sensuous, crazed female serial killer, is masterminding a series of lethal explosions across London. She is unpredictable, wild, angry-and the cops don't even know she exists."

Police work as you've always suspected it is carried out - a separate set of rules for the men and women in blue. Great pace
Isabelle
Same gallery of twisted coppers, same deranged arch-villains, same incredible pace... but the initial surprise of Bruen's particular way of spinning his yarn is now past, so the book may have felt just a hair less thrilling... not a big hair though...
Sebastian
Another solid installment in this series.

I absolutely love Bruen's writing, and even though this book was not my favorite in the series, there was enough to make me like it. The darkness of the plot is there, as in most of the author's works. The usual characters are still dealing with their inner demons while they carry out their lives as best as they can. The bad guys are interesting enough but present a more common motivation than the ones seen typically in the series. The trio threatens to b
Kathy Davie
Fifth in the Inspector Brant crime series set in London around a small group of coppers.

My Take
The thing I like about this series is the realism. It's brutal. It's short and to the point. It's fascinating. Bruen has created a small cast of cops in a London suburb who range from young and eager to old and...oh man...mean, stupid, realistic. There's a line that most cops would probably empathize with "He's the public---they never mean well."

Bruen includes a quote from other authors at the start of
Esme
Blitz aus dieser Reihe wurde schon verfilmt. Der Haudegen Jason Stratham spielt Brant. Man kann sich also vorstellen, was das für ein Typ Bulle ist. Vixen ist das fünfte Buch der Brant-Reihe, kann aber ohne Kenntnis der vorherigen gelesen werden. Bombenanschläge in London und die Bombenleger erpressen die Polizei.

Der Roman ist zweigeteilt. Einerseits folgt man den Verbrechern, die fast Stereotype sein könnten, wenn Ken Bruen dafür nicht zu clever wäre: Angie, die femme fatale und zwei Brüder, de
LJ
VIXEN – G+
Ken Bruen – 5th in Brant Series
For the south-east London police Squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business. The Vixen - the most sensuous, crazy, female serial-killer ever - is masterminding a series of lethal explosions. Meanwhile, Porter-Nash is facing a serious health problem, PC McDonald finds himself looking down the wrong end of a .38, the career of WPC Andrews starts spectacularly but, she is about to discover that dynamite doesn't just mean explosive substances, and Superintenden
Richard
A great intro to the writing of Ken Bruen, the best Irish writer of detective fiction that is too little read.
K.A. Laity
Damn you, Ken Bruen. Why do I keep getting your books? There I was planning to get some writing of my own done, but no -- I cracked open this book just to see how it started out and then I was too far in to stop. Worse than crisps. I'm fond of the Jack Taylor books, but I love the part of London this is set in, so I got a kick out of seeing familiar places. It took a bit to keep the characters straight, my only complaint -- maybe because I'm always reading things out of order, but as usual I was ...more
Ann
Easy read mystery that takes place in London. Cops find an extortionist.
Jun 02, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hardback
Feb 21, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hardback
Feb 21, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
paperback
Mkb
I like foxes but am less interested in sociopathic killers. Three stars.
Dan Shelly
This was my 1st Inspector Brant novel, but I had seen the movie Blitz before I discovered Bruen, so Jason Statham was locked in as Brant as I read it, which fit fine. Like all the othe Bruen books I've read, I loved it but wanted more. I guess that's the mark of a great (and smart) author, leave the reader wanting more so they go get your other books...which is what I'm going to do, until I have them all.
Teresa
This is the 2nd or 3rd book I've read by Ken Bruen and I liked this one better than I remember liking others. I think I'm getting a sense of Bruen's characters and style. This was a tight little book. Lots of characters, all of them well-drawn. Dark, but almost some B movie type humor, though I had to picture this as a film to see get the humor, and to really appreciate the style: writing and characters.
Tim Niland
Bruen is one of the hardest of the hard-core nior mystery writers who sets haunting crime fiction in his native England and Ireland. This time out, the cops are on the trail of a femme-fatale who is hatching an explosive extortion plot that is shocking London. The cops are combating their own demons and problems as they track the Vixen and the money. Fans of hard bitten crime fiction will enjoy this.
Golan Schzukin
The only good thing I can say is that it is readbale, and for a flight it is acceptable.
The book can almost be a short story, with the double spacing, and all the empty pages in the middle, could have saved half of the paper.
It is a very trivial and low class crime story, in a disfunctioning police station.
Jen
I liked this story, but it lost a lot of punch simply due to the huge number of characters and incidents involved in the plot. I actually had to go backwards a few times to clear some things up in my mind. Rereading for pleasure is one thing, but needing to reread for clarity is rarely a good thing.
Stven
Dec 19, 2009 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: library
Cops and crooks in Ireland, a scary place. Characters run the gamut from despicable to sociopathic. They're convincing and the story moves. It's not pretty but the pages keep turning. My first Ken Bruen novel and I'm not sure how I feel about taking in a second.
Jenn
A very noir take on cops. This book is fairly late in the series and I had not read anything before it. A very quick read with a lot of foul language. Took some getting used to.
Ellen
What can I say about Ken Bruen's Tom Brant stories that hasn't already been said? Required reading. A must have for your library. What a ride! Yeah, like that.
Tim
This is the first Ken Bruen I can remember reading and I want to read more it's just a hard boiled cop thriller,a genre i haven't read in quite some time.
Simon Parsons
Short, to the point, no "fluffy" scene setting getting the way of a fast paced, and terse plot. Great read - will be looking out more by the same author.
Alex
Cops, coke, crooks and Ireland combine again in Bruen’s Vixen. A mildly fun three hour read- one of his least memorable… not his best stuff.
Ladiibbug
#5 Inspector Brant, Crime Series

Set in London's SE Precinct

Angie is one hair-raising psycho villian (sp?).
Brian Oldham
This is a disgusting horrible book. Poorly written with no redeeming value. Do not let this into your home
Lee Hannah McDonald
Another goodie from Mr. Bruen. So glad I discovered him and glad he's such a prolific writer.
Martin Sharp
Superb. The writing style and dialogue is spell-binding......read this in two sittings
Scott
what I learned from this book I already knew: Bruen is king.
Sandi
Love this series featuring the most dangerous cop in London.
  • Little Criminals
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • The Silver Bear (Silver Bear, #1)
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Nightfall
  • Dead I Well May Be (Michael Forsythe #1)
  • The Mourner (Parker, #4)
  • The Mexican Tree Duck
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • The Blonde
  • Wanting Sheila Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #25)
  • Shame the Devil
  • Horse Latitudes
  • Salt River (Turner, #3)
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De ...more
More about Ken Bruen...

Inspector Brant (7 books)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • The McDead (Inspector Brant, #3)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)
The Guards (Jack Taylor, #1) The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2) The Magdalen Martyrs (Jack Taylor, #3) The Dramatist (Jack Taylor, #4) Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)