4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  45 reviews

The Signature of Jesus
challenges the gospel of "cheap grace" and calls the church to radical discipleship. With passion and boldness, author Brennan Manning invites readers to risk living life as Jesus lived—committed to simplicity, purity of heart, and obedience to the gospel.

As a radical alternative this book is offered to Christians who want to live by faith and not b...more
Published January 5th 2011 by Multnomah Books (first published 1988)

Jan
This was a very thought-provoking book on not so much Christian living as Christian being. The big question is, "is my life marked with the signature of Jesus?". It's not about living in such as way as to try to gain the "approval" of Jesus, but living in such as way as we would if we really understood that we already DO have His approval. So many churches and Christian leaders and pastors try to teach us to be better Christians; be more like Christ. And so often, that is supposed to be done by...more
Karen Wong
Thought-provoking, challenging, and honest are some words that can be used to describe The Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning. In it, the reader is forced to strip away religion and encouraged to pursue the love of Jesus. Through beautiful writing, Manning shares with us his life with the Risen Christ and how He has redeemed his life from self-justification. At the same time, Manning in every chapter teaches us how to have the mind of Christ, how to be a radical disciple of Christ, and how to...more
azn-choi
Jun 25, 2008 azn-choi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to azn-choi by: Kenny Silva
The greatest need for our time is for the church to become what it has seldom been: the body of Christ with its face to the world, loving others regardless of religion or culture, pouring out in a life of service. offering hope to a frightened world, and presenting itself as a real alternative to the existing environment.

downward mobility:
path of power vs. path of powerlessness
road to success vs. road to servanthood
board road of praise/popularity vs. narrow road of ridicule/rejection

God utters m...more
Curtis Lillie
I really enjoyed much of this book. Manning is widely known as the "grace guy." I started reading, intrigued by the implication of Manning's claim that "radical grace requires a response of radical discipleship."

There were several chapters and sections that I just couldn't zip through. They were so good and thoughtful that I had to pause and sit with the contents for a bit.

However, I struggled throughout the book to see where it was heading. There wasn't a coherent narrative or movement (not tha...more
Jamey
I didn't have high expectations when I began this book. However, it didn't take long for me to gain a huge respect for the author and the book itself. The Signature of Jesus addresses many parts of the Christian life, and challenges readers to want and pursue more out of their relationship with Christ. Brennan Manning offers insights on prayer, discipleship, service, the darkness of the Christian walk, and many more aspects of our walk with Christ that we will all have to face. It is highly conv...more
Alicia
Just when I thought it was weird to always give good ratings to books I read this one. I didn't agree with most of the theology in this book. I think there is a problem today with so much being talked about Jesus the Son of God and not enough talk about what his message actually was. There was a small part in the middle of this book that I did really like. It touched on an idea that I often wondered about as a child. If Jesus wanted us to be kind to the poor and giving of ourselves and helping o...more
Elysha
I read this book after reading a Dallas Willard book and so this book doesn't seem as rich and full as I normally find Manning. But, Manning always makes me cry, and this book made me stop and pause a few times, and think about the implications of what he was saying. As always, Manning's books make me uncomfortable. He is so emotional and raw, and he challenges me to rethink many of my assumptions. I have highlighted many other books from his reference list and will continue to use the "personal...more
Eric King
I love Manning. His pure understanding of the Gospel of Christ is so refreshing. The way this book points out the love of God sending us the ultimate portrait of how He desires us to live in and through His very own Son, is amazing. Manning never disappoints to portray the heart of God in his writing. And the best part is that unlike many other Christian (i use this term loosely) authors, Mr. Manning writes with only one agenda, Gods love, not personal gain or promotion. He never misses a chance...more
Iris
A book that touched my life on contemplative prayer. I have been blessed by following the silent prayer and the prayer where I would listen to Christ's voice. Towards the end of his book, Manning brought me to believe that the many experiences of people I had thrashed in the past as mere imaginations and dreams, to be real when the relationship with Christ deepens! I really loved this book.
I'd recommend this to all of those who are beginning to follow Christ, and to those who want to be radical...more
Brandon Stiver
Very good insight into discipleship. I had started to read The Ragamuffin Gospel at one point but had trouble getting into it. This book however was more challenging as far as life and thought patterns go, so that was an enticement to dig in. His insights are golden and he is incredibly articulate. He tells some great stories and really models what living out that discipleship looks like. Definitely a good read for people that are looking to go deeper with the Lord. I think that Manning himself...more
Ashley
I read this when I was 15 or 16. It was my first encounter with Brennan Manning- a man who I had heard many wonderful things about from people I admired. After finishing it, I remember thinking "THAT was "THE Brennan Manning?!". It wasn't bad, by any means...but I don't remember finding anything overly profound, or anything that would make him worthy of the hype surrounding his stuff.

Decent book, but a bit underwhelming after hearing how incredible his stuff is.
Fernanda La Salye
Nada é tão desconcertante — e, ao mesmo tempo, mais cativante — quanto a mensagem da cruz. É no caminho do Calvário que o poder da vida, traduzida na simplicidade do coração humilde e compassivo, se manifesta de forma eloqüente. É o segredo que levou o próprio Rei Jesus a optar pela coroa de espinhos, ainda que toda a ostentação dos reinos do mundo lhe fosse oferecida. Qual a explicação para essa escolha radical? Contradição? Não. Apenas graça.
Rhi
I have read this book over and over and over again. Every time there is something else that is life changing.
Brennan's, what can only be described as emerging, views on the church are not only poignant but filled with the grace and love of Christ. He is an author that cuts straight to the nitty gritty, leaving all traces of jargon and over spirituality on the wayside.
I would hit the five stars a million times for this book.
Tony Ruble
Through this book, God challenged me to draw closer to Him (even when I don't feel like it). As a Christ-follower, I believe (and have experienced) that when you make efforts to draw closer to God, He will indeed draw closer to you. Must read for anyone who is desiring a deeper walk with Christ. Manning is a normal dude that goes through the struggles that are common to us all.
Dee
A really good summary of the journey from knowledge to experience. My favorite part was the chapter on contemplative prayer as a way beyond mere devotional spirituality, the latter of which which tends to lead toward a new way of doing but not necessarily of seeing. "I spent so much time doing the things that would please God that I had no time left just to be with God."
Hannah
I finished reading this book last month and have gone back several times to reread certain chapters. The author discusses (and regrets) the common ills of the westernized church and leads the reader to a fuller understanding of the true Christian experience that goes beyond church participation, rehearsed lingo and empty motions.
Chris
I took quite a bit away from this book. The author's style is a bit formal. I doubt anyone will breeze through without a dictionary, but it's worth the effort. My 2 favorite themes: centering down in contemplate prayer & moving from intellectual belief to faith in action. This is a good companion to Chan's Crazy Love.
Joel
While I enjoyed some of what Brennan had to say, most of it seemed like random thoughts thrown together into a book. I could not pick out a running theme through his writing and I finished the book and immediately began to wonder, "What have I just read? What was it about? Can I even take anything from this?"
elias
Sep 02, 2007 elias rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: christian
this book was excellent. if you've never read anything by manning, i highly suggest picking up one of his books. not only insightful, but well-written and enjoyable to read. this book takes a hard look at what it means to find purpose, or rather leave ideas of purpose behind, in light of God's insurmountable love.
MichelleMarie
Aug 01, 2007 MichelleMarie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all who are in search of more than religion
Shelves: myfavorites
Definately my no. one favorite spiritual book. And learned so much....Brenan has a beautiful sincere and deep relationship with our Creator and he has spent a lot of time in solitude with Him which I admire. His thoughts matched up with feelings that I didnt know how to express into words
Ben B
When you get to the part about Manning counseling the repentant sinner, and he says, "I have a message for you from Jesus," call me. Because you're about to read one of the most powerful passages you've ever read.

This book basically got me through my divorce.
Michelle Murray
I love Brennan Manning he gets right to the heart of the matter. Are you living a life where the signature of Jesus is evident? Chapter by chapter he unfolds the ways to connect with Jesus so his signature is predominant. Challenging and convicting - beware!
Ben
Loving this book. A couple years ago I picked up "The Ragamuffin Gospel" and was transformed. This sequel is no exception. Thank you, Brennan Manning, for inspiring (yes, I mean that word in its original sense) me to a closer relationship with God.
Bridget
Everything by Brennan Manning is absolutely amazing. They just keep getting better and better. I found his comments on "the crucified Jesus" and contemplative prayer riveting. Exceptional read, but so is EVERYTHING Manning wrote.
Marissa Joyce
I feel like Ragamuffin Gospel should be the forward to this book. The principles of grace and freedom are touched on in this book, but expanded in a practical and concrete way. I really, really loved this book. What wisdom.
Janet
An excerpt:
"Not everyone is called to radical discipleship. Some are so traumatized by life, that simple survival is their sole concern...others so soiled and scarred that they can barely look beyond their own needs."
David Edgren
Brennan Manning has found a newness of life in his relationship with Jesus. His most amazing skill is his ability to translate that experience into words that inspire. A beautiful book.
John
this is one of the best books on christian discipleship ever, written from a man best known for his theology-challenging, push-the-envelope views on unconditional and unmerited grace.
Jake
Challenging and motivating for those who need to be kicked into action (me) and at the same time deeply comforting and freeing for those who need promise (me). Love Manning.
Sneha
to sum up the remainder of brennan manning's books on my list: this alcoholic, divorced ex-catholic priest is one of the authors that has impacted me most in matters of faith.
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Surrender to Love
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive
  • Recapture the Wonder
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Loving God
Richard Francis Xavier Manning, known as Brennan Manning (April 27, 1934 – April 12, 2013)was an American author, friar, priest, contemplative and speaker.Born and raised in Depression-era New York City, Manning finished high school, enlisted in the US Marine Corps, and fought in the Korean War. After returning to the United States, he enrolled at Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania....more
More about Brennan Manning...
The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God The Furious Longing of God All Is Grace: A Ragamuffin Memoir

“The gospel will persuade no one unless it has so convicted us that we are transformed by it.” 1 likes