Start by marking “The Signature of Jesus” as Want to Read:

The Signature of Jesus
challenges the gospel of "cheap grace" and calls the church to radical discipleship. With passion and boldness, author Brennan Manning invites readers to risk living life as Jesus lived—committed to simplicity, purity of heart, and obedience to the gospel.

As a radical alternative this book is offered to Christians who want to live by faith and not b
Published January 5th 2011 by Multnomah (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Signature of Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Signature of Jesus

Feb 12, 2016 Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the first few chapters, I wasn't enjoying this book at all. I didn't like the authors writing style and flow. I also found myself not really being thrilled about the message he was sending. However, as I continued reading, I started to realize that despite not always agreeing with what he was trying to say that the overall message, while being hard to hear, was something that I needed to hear. His message of being a true follower of Christ was a hard pill to swallow, but it's the type of m ...more
Jun 25, 2008 azn-choi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to azn-choi by: Kenny Silva
The greatest need for our time is for the church to become what it has seldom been: the body of Christ with its face to the world, loving others regardless of religion or culture, pouring out in a life of service. offering hope to a frightened world, and presenting itself as a real alternative to the existing environment.

downward mobility:
path of power vs. path of powerlessness
road to success vs. road to servanthood
board road of praise/popularity vs. narrow road of ridicule/rejection

God utters m
Karen Wong
Aug 24, 2009 Karen Wong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking, challenging, and honest are some words that can be used to describe The Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning. In it, the reader is forced to strip away religion and encouraged to pursue the love of Jesus. Through beautiful writing, Manning shares with us his life with the Risen Christ and how He has redeemed his life from self-justification. At the same time, Manning in every chapter teaches us how to have the mind of Christ, how to be a radical disciple of Christ, and how to ...more
Feb 05, 2009 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very thought-provoking book on not so much Christian living as Christian being. The big question is, "is my life marked with the signature of Jesus?". It's not about living in such as way as to try to gain the "approval" of Jesus, but living in such as way as we would if we really understood that we already DO have His approval. So many churches and Christian leaders and pastors try to teach us to be better Christians; be more like Christ. And so often, that is supposed to be done by ...more
Curtis Lillie
I really enjoyed much of this book. Manning is widely known as the "grace guy." I started reading, intrigued by the implication of Manning's claim that "radical grace requires a response of radical discipleship."

There were several chapters and sections that I just couldn't zip through. They were so good and thoughtful that I had to pause and sit with the contents for a bit.

However, I struggled throughout the book to see where it was heading. There wasn't a coherent narrative or movement (not tha
Oct 15, 2013 Jamey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have high expectations when I began this book. However, it didn't take long for me to gain a huge respect for the author and the book itself. The Signature of Jesus addresses many parts of the Christian life, and challenges readers to want and pursue more out of their relationship with Christ. Brennan Manning offers insights on prayer, discipleship, service, the darkness of the Christian walk, and many more aspects of our walk with Christ that we will all have to face. It is highly conv ...more
May 07, 2008 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Just when I thought it was weird to always give good ratings to books I read this one. I didn't agree with most of the theology in this book. I think there is a problem today with so much being talked about Jesus the Son of God and not enough talk about what his message actually was. There was a small part in the middle of this book that I did really like. It touched on an idea that I often wondered about as a child. If Jesus wanted us to be kind to the poor and giving of ourselves and helping o ...more
Jan 06, 2013 Elysha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after reading a Dallas Willard book and so this book doesn't seem as rich and full as I normally find Manning. But, Manning always makes me cry, and this book made me stop and pause a few times, and think about the implications of what he was saying. As always, Manning's books make me uncomfortable. He is so emotional and raw, and he challenges me to rethink many of my assumptions. I have highlighted many other books from his reference list and will continue to use the "personal ...more
Eric King
Jan 09, 2013 Eric King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Manning. His pure understanding of the Gospel of Christ is so refreshing. The way this book points out the love of God sending us the ultimate portrait of how He desires us to live in and through His very own Son, is amazing. Manning never disappoints to portray the heart of God in his writing. And the best part is that unlike many other Christian (i use this term loosely) authors, Mr. Manning writes with only one agenda, Gods love, not personal gain or promotion. He never misses a chance ...more
Aug 24, 2012 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that touched my life on contemplative prayer. I have been blessed by following the silent prayer and the prayer where I would listen to Christ's voice. Towards the end of his book, Manning brought me to believe that the many experiences of people I had thrashed in the past as mere imaginations and dreams, to be real when the relationship with Christ deepens! I really loved this book.
I'd recommend this to all of those who are beginning to follow Christ, and to those who want to be radical
Brandon Stiver
Very good insight into discipleship. I had started to read The Ragamuffin Gospel at one point but had trouble getting into it. This book however was more challenging as far as life and thought patterns go, so that was an enticement to dig in. His insights are golden and he is incredibly articulate. He tells some great stories and really models what living out that discipleship looks like. Definitely a good read for people that are looking to go deeper with the Lord. I think that Manning himself ...more
Fernanda La Salye
Nada é tão desconcertante — e, ao mesmo tempo, mais cativante — quanto a mensagem da cruz. É no caminho do Calvário que o poder da vida, traduzida na simplicidade do coração humilde e compassivo, se manifesta de forma eloqüente. É o segredo que levou o próprio Rei Jesus a optar pela coroa de espinhos, ainda que toda a ostentação dos reinos do mundo lhe fosse oferecida. Qual a explicação para essa escolha radical? Contradição? Não. Apenas graça.
I have read this book over and over and over again. Every time there is something else that is life changing.
Brennan's, what can only be described as emerging, views on the church are not only poignant but filled with the grace and love of Christ. He is an author that cuts straight to the nitty gritty, leaving all traces of jargon and over spirituality on the wayside.
I would hit the five stars a million times for this book.
Jane Glen
Sep 05, 2014 Jane Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious-faith
Absolutely loved this book. A most refreshing and challenging read about living out our Christian life within the shadow of the cross. Understanding and valuing that great sacrifice should change our attitudes, action and interactions. But as we all know, we are human and frailties beset us- just another reminder of why the cross is important. A must-read for anyone interested in growing their spiritual lives.
I read this when I was 15 or 16. It was my first encounter with Brennan Manning- a man who I had heard many wonderful things about from people I admired. After finishing it, I remember thinking "THAT was "THE Brennan Manning?!". It wasn't bad, by any means...but I don't remember finding anything overly profound, or anything that would make him worthy of the hype surrounding his stuff.

Decent book, but a bit underwhelming after hearing how incredible his stuff is.
Jun 04, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter what Brennan Manning book I pick up my spiritual life is impacted. This book was no different. Almost every page has been highlighted, underlined or contains a note. The personal stories he shares helps you to relate it to your own life. The quotes from others add immensely to the content of this book. It is a must read and one to go back to again and again.
Dec 11, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good summary of the journey from knowledge to experience. My favorite part was the chapter on contemplative prayer as a way beyond mere devotional spirituality, the latter of which which tends to lead toward a new way of doing but not necessarily of seeing. "I spent so much time doing the things that would please God that I had no time left just to be with God."
Aug 26, 2011 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I took quite a bit away from this book. The author's style is a bit formal. I doubt anyone will breeze through without a dictionary, but it's worth the effort. My 2 favorite themes: centering down in contemplate prayer & moving from intellectual belief to faith in action. This is a good companion to Chan's Crazy Love.
Aug 09, 2008 Joel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed some of what Brennan had to say, most of it seemed like random thoughts thrown together into a book. I could not pick out a running theme through his writing and I finished the book and immediately began to wonder, "What have I just read? What was it about? Can I even take anything from this?"
Eli Suddarth
Sep 02, 2007 Eli Suddarth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: christian
this book was excellent. if you've never read anything by manning, i highly suggest picking up one of his books. not only insightful, but well-written and enjoyable to read. this book takes a hard look at what it means to find purpose, or rather leave ideas of purpose behind, in light of God's insurmountable love.
Sep 02, 2016 Floyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manning is a good write with a passion for Jesus and he conveys this very well. I like his focus on experiencing Jesus and not just believing in him. This is my second book by Brennan and I'd like to read another. Some good stuff too on contemplative prayer. I heard Brennan years ago when a pastor in North Vancouver and he was a very good communicator.
Tony Ruble
Nov 12, 2008 Tony Ruble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through this book, God challenged me to draw closer to Him (even when I don't feel like it). As a Christ-follower, I believe (and have experienced) that when you make efforts to draw closer to God, He will indeed draw closer to you. Must read for anyone who is desiring a deeper walk with Christ. Manning is a normal dude that goes through the struggles that are common to us all.
Nov 07, 2007 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book last month and have gone back several times to reread certain chapters. The author discusses (and regrets) the common ills of the westernized church and leads the reader to a fuller understanding of the true Christian experience that goes beyond church participation, rehearsed lingo and empty motions.
Aug 06, 2016 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply Moving

I am not capable of describing this book or the impact it can have on the reader. If you have read any of Brennan Manning's books you already know what a powerful writer he was, and you will not be disappointed in this book.
Jun 26, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Do not read this book unless you are ready to put surface Christianity away and wrestle with what a deep, authentic relationship with Jesus really looks like, and how far you might be from experiencing it.
Jun 05, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excerpt:
"Not everyone is called to radical discipleship. Some are so traumatized by life, that simple survival is their sole concern...others so soiled and scarred that they can barely look beyond their own needs."
Aug 01, 2007 MichelleMarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who are in search of more than religion
Shelves: myfavorites
Definately my no. one favorite spiritual book. And learned so much....Brenan has a beautiful sincere and deep relationship with our Creator and he has spent a lot of time in solitude with Him which I admire. His thoughts matched up with feelings that I didnt know how to express into words
Apr 24, 2016 Cam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brennan Manning has reminded me that being a Christian is more than saying I believe. He challenges me through his own experience and those of others to submit fully to Christ's transforming power and love. Definitely a call to radical living, a message I want to keep heeding.
Angie Tolpin
I have a special relationship with this book. It was the first Christian living literature I had ever read, aside from that one book everyone in my generation read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris.
This book was one of those uh-huh books for me as a young woman of God.
Nov 07, 2009 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving this book. A couple years ago I picked up "The Ragamuffin Gospel" and was transformed. This sequel is no exception. Thank you, Brennan Manning, for inspiring (yes, I mean that word in its original sense) me to a closer relationship with God.
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • The Saving Life of Christ
  • Surrender to Love: Discovering the Heart of Christian Spirituality
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • Character Makeover: 40 Days with a Life Coach to Create the Best You
  • A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace
  • Fearfully and Wonderfully Made
Richard Francis Xavier Manning, known as Brennan Manning (April 27, 1934 – April 12, 2013)was an American author, friar, priest, contemplative and speaker.Born and raised in Depression-era New York City, Manning finished high school, enlisted in the US Marine Corps, and fought in the Korean War. After returning to the United States, he enrolled at Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania. ...more
More about Brennan Manning...

“The gospel will persuade no one unless it has so convicted us that we are transformed by it.” 4 likes
“For the Christian one dislocating, self-impoverishing hour spent with a child living in a broken-down dump is worth more than all the burial mounds of rhetoric, all the enfeebled good intentions, all the mumbling and fumbling and tardiness of those Christians who are so busy cultivating their own holiness that they cannot hear the anguished cry of the child in the slum.” 2 likes