Start by marking “A Summer Secret” as Want to Read:
A Summer Secret

A Summer Secret (Mysteries of Middlefield #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In the Mysteries ofMiddlefield series, readers will be immersed into exciting mysteries andauthentic Amish culture.

With a twin brother and five younger brothers, Mary BethMullet s house is in constant chaos. Her parents don t seem to mind the noise, but she needs a break from all the pestering and babysitting.

It s the summer before eighth grade, and Mary Beth plans toescap
Published May 18th 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published May 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Summer Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Summer Secret

Drebbles
With three brothers always in her way, thirteen year old Mary Beth longs for a place where she can be by herself for awhile and write in her journal. She finds such a place in an abandoned barn and relishes her time there but not for long. She has reason to suspect that someone else is staying in the barn. When Mary Beth and her brother Johnny find out who is staying in the barn, they have some major decisions to make.

Kathleen Fuller, author of two adult books set in the Amish Community (A Man o
Cindy
Mary Beth Mullet has a secret. She has been sneaking next door to the abandoned barn, to have some time away from her pesky brothers. They never seem to give her any privacy, even in her own bedroom. It isn't long however before her twin brother Johnny figures it out and in order for him to keep her secret she has to share her special place with him. She is not happy about that at all, but before she can really make up her mind what to do to change it, they make a discovery that sets them off in ...more
Title: A SUMMER SECRET
Author: Kathleen Fuller
Publisher: Tommy Nelson
May 2010
ISBN; 978-1-4003-1593-2
Genre: Inspirational/Amish/young adult

Thirteen year old Mary Beth is tired of boys. With three brothers, she’s tired of their pranks, smells, and irresponsibility. And she’s tired of babysitting and doing more than her share of chores. So when Mary Beth discovers an old abandoned barn, she spends her free time there—even though her dad says its dangerous and tells her to stay away. She just needs
Sue Leatherman
A Summer Secret is a story about at 13-year-old Amish girl, Mary Beth Mullet, and her family who live in the Amish community of Middlefield, Ohio. Mary Beth is going thru the typical tribulations of a thirteen year old who often resents her parents' discipline and is totally annoyed by her three brothers. She finds an old abandoned barn in the neighboring fields and decides to use it as her place of retreat where she can read and write in her journal even though her father has told the children ...more
Amber Stokes
A thirteen-year-old Amish girl finds solace in an abandoned barn—one she was forbidden to go to. When someone seems to be tampering with the things she leaves there, she finds more trouble than that which her three brothers create at home. But her “summer secret” might just bring some positive changes to her life.

A Summer Secret is an enjoyable summer read! I think children around middle-school age might especially enjoy it, although some might find it a bit long unless they’re avid readers. But
Alice Janell
Set in the Amish community of Middlefield, Ohio, “A Summer Secret” centers around Mary Beth, a fairly typical thirteen year old.

It took me longer to read this middle-grade book than it should have. It’s very, very wordy for a middle-grade book. There is a lot of Amish terminology thrown into the book, and at first, I was excited about this. However, there’s so much jargon thrown into the book, that the reader is forced to flip back to the beginning to read the definition of certain words because
Dana Rongione
In the first book of her newest series, The Mysteries of Middlefield, Kathleen Fuller introduces Mary Beth, a thirteen-year-old Amish girl who simply wants some peace and quiet away from her three pesky brothers. In an effort to escape her world of chores and boyish pranks, she turns an abandoned barn into a secret place of her own. With her food stash, her journal, and her privacy, Mary Beth finds great comfort in her hideout. There are only two problems. First of all, her father has forbidden ...more
Mary
I think this book is written for girls between 9-12 years old. The writing is not complicated and would appeal to the preteen. The story takes place in an Amish community with a fair amount of detail about the lifestyle of the Amish. The main character is a thirteen-year-old girl and her trials of living with three brothers. She has discovered an abandoned barn away from her home that she uses as an escape to solitude.
Things get complicated when her oldest brother discovers her hideout which le
Tomi
A Summer Secret centers around thirteen year-old Mary Beth and her twin brother, Johnny and Sawyer, a young runaway. Set in Middlefield, Ohio, an Amish community, A Summer Secret is the first in Fuller’s “The Mysteries of Middlefield”.

Mary Beth’s curiosity peaks when she starts hanging around an abandoned barn near her home against her parents’ wishes. Mary Beth takes a liking to the barn as it serves as a getaway from her brothers. The more she hangs around the barn, the more strange things sh
Londia
had the chance to read this book through http://booksneeze.com/
I have never done a book review before.
But anyways i have to say i enjoyed this book very much.
It is meant for preteens - young readers.
But even i as a parent and 30 something year old thought it was a great read.
The story is about a girl named Mary Beth a young Amish girl. who is from Ohio in the year 1885
She wants to have her time away alone from her brothers who seem to bother her and just everyday things.
As she has a hiding plac
Brenda
In this book you have 13 yr old Mary Beth Mullett in a house with three brothers. She just wants some peace and quiet away from the boys. So when she finds an old abandoned barn close to home she thinks its the perfect place to hang out a place to do what she wants. Even though her parents have forbidden her to go to the barn she is drawn by the solitude. When she discovers some clues that lead her to believe that just maybe someone else is using the old barn as well she wonders if she is going ...more
Raya Whitehouse
I began reading this today. It gives you the info on certain Amish terms that are in the book, that are different than we would be used to seeing. (example: boppli means baby). It starts out in the barn, she is not supposed to be in. She is expected to drop whatever she is doing to help out her family. Mary Beth goes to the barn to escape all this.

The Amish terms are italicized to help them stand out for the readers, so you can go back to the front and look it up if needed.

This is a pretty good
Stacia
A Summer Secret takes place in an Amish community in Middlefield, OH. Mary Beth and her twin brother, Johnny, soon discover a run away child staying in their secret hide out. The twins sneak him food and clothing keeping it a secret until they're forced to tell their parents when their hideout catches on fire.

This is an enjoyable book that is a quick read and while a little slow to start has a great climax and finishes well. I do feel this book would be better received and enjoyed by young teens
Anne
I love YA books and Amish books, so this was perfect for me. I will be starting book 2 in the series next. They are fun, mysterious, take you away to a different life and with happy endings. Many things I love in a book.
Julie
Have you ever wanted a quiet place to think and be away from your siblings..I could so relate to Mary Beth when I was growing up. Mary Beth likes to hide out in a barn on land near by. She is the oldest of 5 kids and her mom is expecting again. Mary Beth meets Sawyer-- a runaway who has been hiding out in the barn. Mary Beth and her brother do all that they can help him out and even pray for him.

Mary Beth and their brother almost get into trouble because they know that Sawyer is the barn and do
Freda mans
I loved this story!
At first I didn't know what to expect. I liked the characters, mainly Mary Beth, but had no idea what the mystery would be. When it turned out to do with an orphaned runaway, I was not put off in the least.
This story had a way of making you look at your own beliefs, and wonder what you would do in the same situation. Honestly, I bet we can all take some tips off the children in the book. We too soon forget to be good to our fellow man, and help people when they are in need. Th
Krystal
I really liked this book; like most of Fullers books once I started it reading it, I couldn’t put it down. Finding out what caused Sawyer to be in the barn to begin with—and what happens to him in the end—keeps you intrigued throughout the book. If your looking for a nice wholesome, feel good romance this is the book for you. Not only is there romance you will also find intruge, suspence, and more! It’s a very well rounded book that leave you wanting to know more about the characters! Good thin ...more
April
Not too bad for tween to early teen readers, and the moms out there as well.
Kristy
I probably would have liked this book a lot more if I didn't already know what happened. The Hearts of Middlefield series and The Mysteries of Middlefield series intertwine, and involve the same families. I should have read this book before I read An Honest Love. Because the end of that book gives away the ending of this book. Which left no mystery to this book what-so-ever. Which was a bummer. My rating would have been a lot better if I hadn't already known the ending
Johanna Rachel Schick
The mystery was solved too early in the book (about halfway) to keep the reader interested to the end. After Mary-Beth finds who is living in the old barn, the last half is only spent on 'tying up the loose ends'.
I'm glad Kathleen Fuller put a Glossary of Amish Terms in the beginning of the book. That made understanding the book so much easier. This book was ideal for 9-12 year olds.
Lena Morrison
I do my reviews in the form of a letter, which is why they are written like this.

Dear Kathleen Fuller,
When I first read this book, I liked it. The Amish lifestyle is interesting. But, I just find this not as good anymore. It's the age, really. I will read this again soon and give you a better review.

Sincerely,
Lena Marie
Audrey (The Reader in the Corner)
I enjoyed this book. It was definitely meant for a younger reading audience (11-13 probabley) but the writing was descriptive and it was a realistic story. There wasn't really much suspense. It was pretty easy to tell what was going to happen, but if you're into Amish fiction, this was a fairly enjoyable read.
Kelly
2.5

Not the best written nor most surprising, but different for me. I think this could have been done so much stronger in 1st, rather than 3rd, person. Longer review to come. Sometimes it's refreshing to step outside one's reading comfort zone.
Ratforcekids
When you read this book, you'll find yourself immersed in mystery and learn about authentic Amish culture. Right now, there are three books in this series called The Mysteries of Middlefield.
Deana
See my review on this book at my blog at: http://notenoughtimeforbooks.blogspot... While you're there, check out my other reviews. :)
Mattie Carpenter
I have never read this type of book before, but my mom gave it to me, and i thought it was great!
Madi
Oh my word....I just HAVE to read this ASAP!!!!
Clarisa
really inspired my inner self
Alsie
very exciting once you get into it.
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • A Hope for Hannah (Hannah's Heart, #2)
  • An Amish Gathering: Life in Lancaster County
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
  • A Cousin's Challenge (Indiana Cousins, #3)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
Kathleen is the best-selling author of over twenty-five books, including the Hearts of Middlefield Series and the A Middlefield Family Series. She lives with her husband and three children in Northeast Ohio. Kathleen loves to hear from readers.
More about Kathleen Fuller...
A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1) An Honest Love (Hearts of Middlefield, #2) Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1) What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)