Start by marking “Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  79,839 ratings  ·  6,539 reviews
So wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-usin
Published July 31st 2012 by Harlequin Teen (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pushing the Limits, please sign up.

K8 It contains sexual content (kissing and some talk about making out on a bed and losing some clothing) but no graphic descriptions of sex.
K8 Not sure about the audio part of the question, but I would not say this is a book for 11-13 year olds. More like 15-18 year olds…moreNot sure about the audio part of the question, but I would not say this is a book for 11-13 year olds. More like 15-18 year olds(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best Book Boyfriends
57th out of 5,463 books — 20,135 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverEasy by Tammara WebberThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best YA/New Adult Contemporary Romance
8th out of 780 books — 2,732 voters

More lists with this book...

Sophia.

I stopped at page 16. 16!

What he says:
"Her blue cotton shirt dipped below her beige tank."

What she says:
“Oh, God,” I moaned. She thought I was doing “it” with him.

What he says:
"Her silky red hair had glimmered in the moonlight."

What she says:
"Wow. I thought I was the only person at this school faking every moment."

What he says:
"I loved the sound of her sweet voice. Part angel, part music."

What he says:
"Damn, she smelled like cinnam
Marie
Apr 30, 2014 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Every person who air is essential too.
“Fuck me and the rest of the world, I was in love.”
— Pushing the Limits, Katie McGarry

And I'm in love to,

I FUCKING LOVE THIS BOOK!

I FUCKING LOVE NOAH.

AND I FUCKING LOVE KATIE McGARRY!

I have officially read this only about, OH, a MILLION times.

How do you get sick of a book that draws you in from the first page every single time. There's so many different views of this book it's like reading a new story each and every time I read it.

'His lips curved into a sexy smile and I became lost in hi
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Noah <3

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Luke used to give me butterflies.
Noah spawned mutant pterodactyls."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was such a sweet and heartbreaking story, with both MCs having some serious problems, but I still loved it <3
I am not a fan of angst and drama, and there is both here, but not too much, so I don't think it'll be a problem for anyone else :DD

A few things you need to know:

1. What the book is about

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

A bad boy and a troubled girl are forced to work together to solve their problems, and in the meantime they manage t
"That's All" Ash
Holy Sh—
Oh, my---
What the---
For the love of---
Sweet baby---

MOTHERFUCKER! This book was fabulous/great/wow/fanfreakingtastic!

*deep breath*

I would just like to go on the record and THANK Katie McGarry for creating Noah Hutchins. And for creating a book that held me captive until the wee hours of the morning. Holy SHIT! Your book’s good, ma’am.

So without further ado… Allow me to introduce you to “Pushing the Limits”… ;)

photo tumblr_mlkr3tv1K21rtxj3eo1_r1_500.jpg

This is a story about a boy with a past in ashes who fell in love with a gi
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Normal. She wanted normal and so did I.

If I could summarize this book with one (okay, technically two) sentence, that would be the one. Nothing else needs to be said. You can figure out from one simple sentence that this is a book about two people who have lost everything and are trying to figure out how to get normalcy back in their lives.

3.25 stars. If I was judging Pushing the Limits solely based on the journey of the characters and how they struggled to reach their own personal victorie
Aestas Book Blog

A heart-wrenching YA book about two broken teens struggling to put the shattered pieces of their lives back together and finding love along the way.

“Her shoulders never shook. No tears streamed down her face. The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see–the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your
Kat Kennedy
When trying to find a way to describe this book – I settled on this: Pushing The Limits is the closest I’ve ever gotten to reading a Machetta book.

For anyone familiar with me or Machetta – that is the highest praise I give.

Very rarely does a book make me laugh and cry at all – let alone multiple times. But that’s what this book did. And really, what the hell kind of badass reviewer am I when I’m brought to sniveling, snotty tears by a book?

Noah and Echo don’t talk at school. Noah is the atypica
Giselle
It's no secret that this book has been getting insane reviews. Being the persistent black sheep that I am, I was incredibly wary of the hype it was garnering, certain that it would fail to impress me. Oh boy. Oh freaking boy!! Was I ever wrong. I loved this so hard!

Echo and Noah… Echo. Noah. Nocho?

Echo has been through an extremely distressing, life altering ordeal because of which she's suffering post-traumatic stress, with the worst side effect being memory loss. She doesn't remember what hap
Emily May

When I rate a book three stars, it usually means indifference, that the book was neither especially good or bad. That I probably won't even remember it in a few days time. With Pushing the Limits that is not the case, it's more that I feel the positives and negatives equally balance each other out and the overall book falls somewhere in the middle of the rating scale because of it. I will say, though, the issues that I felt sure I'd have with it were not the reason I gave it such an average rat
Reynje

Part way through Pushing The Limits, I put down my kindle and thought: Am I (gasp) too old crotchety and cynical for this? I wanted to like this book, but ultimately I just ended up feeling like I’d been caught in a stampede of drama llamas.

Contemporary YA is probably my favourite genre. And I like books that challenge me emotionally. But while I had no real problem with Noah and Echo’s respective Issues-with-a-capital”I”, something about this just felt off to me. It didn’t feel sincer
Wendy Darling
This is one of those times when I feel like I'm reading a totally different book than everyone else is. This just isn't my kind of realistic fiction, my kind of romance, or my kind of boy. Meh.
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
Spoiler Free Review
5 STARS out of 5
Genre: YA-Mature Contemporary Romance

THIS IS .31CENTS on Amazon U.S. 5-5-14 If you have not read this book I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! buy link: http://amzn.com/B00B0A5Y78

Pushing the Limits was an appropriate name for this book and if i could sum up my feelings in one word it would be BREAKTHROUGH. Which is what i waited for the whole book. A breakthrough the act of finally overcoming or reaching an achievement by penetrating a wall/enemy that is restricting you fr
♥Rachel♥

I ADORED this story!

Seventeen year-old Echo Emerson used to be part of the popular crowd. Two years ago things changed. Her parents divorced, her babysitter became her step-mother, and her older brother Aires died in combat. But this is not the event that changed everything for Echo. Two years ago, an event she can't remember resulted in her waking up in the hospital two-days later, with injuries up and down both her arms. Injuries that left her with ugly scars, and a restraining order in pla
Kristin (KC)
Pushing the Limits thoroughly pushed me to mine from its gut-wrenching start to its emotional finish. I devoured every drop of this amazing story as it brought me to hell and back right along with it. Every element I long for in a book was generously provided; engaging writing, broken yet lovable characters, sexual tension, angst and heartache, and finally, growth and sweet redemption.

Echo has survived a heartbreaking tragedy that has left her with extreme physical and emotional scars, butthe se
Wendy Higgins
Oh my great googly-moogly. Either I'm really hormonal, or that book just made me cry a whole lot--the good kind of crying that can only happen when you're invested in the characters and you're feeling what they're feeling.
So. Flippin. Good.
You need to read this book. Yes, you. If you love romance, and intensity, and emotional, high stakes, this is for you.
Oh, and Noah? I love you.
Christy
5 Stars!

**RE-READ on Audible! Loved it just as much the second time around!

photo b4e8f075-903f-42da-a5eb-1fd54b0d693b_zps994778ea.jpg

This was not your normal romance story... In fact, normal is one of the last words you would use to describe Noah, Echo or their relationship. Echo was such a strong character. She has been through so much heartache. Not only has she lost her brother Aires, the one person who she felt loved her unconditionally, but she has had a major trauma that she has not even fully discovered. It has destroyed a lot of things importa
Kelly
I can think of only three books that have ever made me cry, one of which is Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry. If you haven’t gotten this one on pre-order yet, go ye forth and do so. This is a 2012 must read.

Since I write paranormal, I don’t often get a chance to pick up YA contemporary. But obviously I’m missing out. Especially if the other titles out there right now are half as engrossing as Katie McGarry’s debut.

After finishing this novel, I wanted to start it again. Because I missed the
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Only $0.31 at Amazon US, 5/5/14- YES, 31 CENTS!**

**4.5 stars**

Wonderful, guilty-pleasure, angsty teen goodness!!

When it comes to rating these hurt-comfort teen stories I tend to just go with my gut and let reason fly out the window. Sure, this book has its fair share of issues. Everything is wrapped up perfectly and neatly, everyone gets over their issues in a timely fashion, and the bad boy is tamed by love. However, did I love it? You bet your butt I did!!

I have a weakness for big brothers
Lisa
WHAT DID I JUST READ??????????

description

Stunning! Pushing the Limits was pure awesomeness! I loved McGarry’s writing style! I loved the story! I loved the main characters and their development! I loved it all....sigh! Katie McGarry has written an emotionally charged book about two broken and troubled teens, Echo and Noah, who find comfort in each other as their worlds continue to shatter around them. It is the most heart-wrenching (and heart-warming) of romances, wrapped in a poignant tale of family, fr
Taryn at My Secret Romance
This review is posted at My Secret Romance

What a bittersweet emotional story. A favorite by far this year.

The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone else could see- the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.

This book
Stephanie
JFC, THIS EFFING BOOK!

I was all set to give it 2.5 stars--generous of me, even--but the resolution of Echo's story was the last straw. Blame and further demonize the already demonized mentally ill mother? Ok, a goddamn 1 star for this over dramatized and hollow book! Crucio to you! I am enraged right now and will try to refrain from being an a-hole with this review.

The best thing about Pushing the Limits is that it had an interesting plot: Echo is dealing with the loss of her older brother, ov
Annie Brewer
A MILLION STARS FOR THIS BOOK!!!!!! OMG, my emotions are all over the place!! I thought My Life Next Door was my favorite of this year, but HOLY HELL SHIT this book tops it....only by a little. But ummmmm, NOAH HUTCHINS IS MY NEW HOT SEXY BOOK BOYFRIEND. JESUS CHRIST I CAN EAT HIM UP!!!!!! I need a day to collect my thoughts before a proper review. So I am just going to say, well done Katie!!!! This was FANTASTIC!!!!

Full review soon!

Edited review:

I have no idea where to begin with this review, m
Searock

The best YA novel I have ever read!
Highly recommended!

This amazing, well-written book takes several risks and succeeds in a big way.
The emotional arcs are stunning.

This author wrote a wonderful love story between two emotionally scarred high school seniors. They run in different circles (ones that would NEVER hang out with one another). They are each dealing with major family issues and connect via a fantastic character, Mrs. Collins (character squee!).
Her thread in the book is Good Will Hunt
Tammara
This is YA contemporary at its finest. It has a classic YA feel to it, in fact, in that the character and story development are perfectly paced and spot-on geared to its audience, and the quintessential young adult themes of alienation and self-discovery are deftly handled without being preachy. As a long-time YA reader, I know these are difficult feats to pull off and still be fresh. McGarry nails it.

I feel like I need to give it another read to write a befitting review - but considering how of
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
I need to put this book down for the time being. I'm at 40% and I know this is an excellent book, but the subject matter is very serious, sad, and quite depressing. I'm in the mood for a lighter, happier read. I can tell this is one of the better young adult books written and I want to give it the change it deserves. I just need to be in the right mood to read it.
Nyrae Dawn
Love.

Love, love, love, love, LOVE.

That is all.

Oh, and one word.

Noah.
Nicoleta
Wow!!! That was a GREAT book!!!!!

I don't know how to expess to you how i felt reading that story, guys...
It was riveting... It was redeptive... It was so... emotional....

I really loved the two main characters.....
They were fighters... and their lives was the fighting arena...
Separated they were good, but when they were together was amazing....

None of them was having an easy life, but together they overstepped every obstacle that get in their way and they earn a better life....
Their past broke my
Glass
Review posted on I'm a reader, what about you?

I just knew that I will love this book as soon as I read blurb - and I was right. To be honest with you, I would have read it much sooner, but one of my girls was disappointed so I kept my distance for a while.

I haven't read this type of story in a long time - Fuentes brother meets Easy meets Beautiful Disaster. Realistic fiction swooning over sweet romance with capital R! And me melting over Noah. And falling for Echo. Now, I want to read it all o
~Tina~
"There is nothing you can do wrong when just breathing makes everything right."

...sigh, don't you just love that quote?

Pushing the Limit is my kind of writing and my kind of characters.
This is an intense, raw and passionate story about two people who need something that the other can give. Trust, acceptance and unconditional love.

I love the title to this book and think it's perfect since this book really is about pushing the limits. Pushing that person just enough to ignite a spark, but it's n
Brigid
Dec 04, 2013 Brigid added it
I bought this book the day it came out. I mean, it had EVERYTHING I love in a book: hot boy, attitude, brothers, family drama, romance. I'm surprised there wasn't a neon sign on Goodreads screaming, "BRIGID KEMMERER, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK."

I tore through the first half. I was tempted to hide it under the table at a business conference. (I didn't. Though I did hide it under the table at a book signing this weekend. Shh.) The book made me cry, the book made me smile ... there was definitely a
Book Review 1 3 May 25, 2015 06:53PM
Contemporary YA: Katie McGarry 11 47 May 22, 2015 04:56AM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits): May 6 6 10 May 12, 2015 06:01AM
Favorite Couple from Katie McGarry books? 31 180 Apr 07, 2015 09:53AM
Best parts? 4 54 Apr 05, 2015 08:07PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry- Restarting March 25th 2015 40 88 Mar 24, 2015 02:59PM
  • Charade (Games, #1)
  • Something like Normal
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2)
  • Stealing Parker
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • From What I Remember...
  • If I Lie
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Back to You
  • Torched
  • One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths, #2)
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Such a Rush
KATIE MCGARRY was a teenager during the age of grunge and boy bands and remembers those years as the best and worst of her life. She is a lover of music, happy endings, and reality television, and is a secret University of Kentucky basketball fan.

Katie would love to hear from her readers. Contact her via her website, katielmcgarry.com, follow her on Twitter @KatieMcGarry, or become a fan on Facebo
More about Katie McGarry...

Pushing the Limits (4 books)
  • Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
  • Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4)
Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4) Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.1) Red at Night

“The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see--the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.” 1464 likes
“I love you enough to never make you choose.” 647 likes