Start by marking “The Nightmare Factory” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare Factory

The Nightmare Factory

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  7 reviews
There's a secret you need to know. A secret about how nightmares are made. Welcome to the Nightmare Factory. When Andrew Lake and his twin sister Poppy are stolen from their dreams, they find themselves trapped in a strange realm parallel to our own.
320 pages
Published May 3rd 2012 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare Factory

KaRo
Czy zastanawialiście się kiedyś jak powstają sny? A może szukaliście odpowiedzi na to, skąd się biorą koszmary? Gdyby ktoś Wam powiedział, że swój początek biorą w dwóch fabrykach, uwierzylibyście?

Andrew i Poppy są bliźniakami. Mieszkają tylko z matką, ponieważ ich ojciec zginął podczas ratowania syna z pożaru. Od tego czasu chłopiec panicznie boi się ognia. Ostatnio miewa też dziwne sny, w których ucieka przed nieznajomym mężczyzną. Pewnego dnia budzi się z siostrą w innym wymiarze, okazuje się
Laura Noakes
I have a massive soft spot for really well written middle-grade fantasy. And I really, really wanted to love The Nightmare Factory, but for some reason I just couldn’t. I thought that the whole concept of being trapped in dreams and the nightmare factory could have being explained a bit more. However, I was drawn in by the plot, I was worried about Poppy and Andrew and I wanted them to get out of The Nightmare Factory. But their brother sister relationship did at times seem slightly contrived. I ...more
Neil Trigger
A very very good breakout novel from one of the most original minds in children's fantasy to emerge in a long time.

The nightmare factory follows the usual path of the young male protagonist (though interestingly he is followed by his sister). They are captured and placed into what seems to be a prison within a dream.

The story engages quickly and mixes a lot of paradigms and belief systems to build a magical mystery with depth. I really enjoyed it.
Tonja Drecker
I love middle grade and was excited to read a 'darker' story. The plot moves along very nicely - never a dull moment. I found one or two scenes unnecessarily gory (must be the Mom in me). The room full of blood didn't add anything to the plot and seemed a bit heavy for the level.

All in all, it was a nice read and I'm sure kids will absolutely love it.
Emily
This won the Waverton Good Read Children's Award, so I thought it'd be wrong of me not to read it. Plus reading children's books every so often is a nice escape/easy read. Some of the ideas in it were really original, which was brilliant - others less so but an enjoyable read none the less.
Whizy
Fantastic! I started reading and could not put the book down. Lucy has created very vivid and believable characters and a superb plot. I can't wait until the next book to find out what happens to Vesuvius. This book will appeal to all readers both young and old. Thoroughly recommended.
Haiku Reviews
A Great Young Adult
Novel about fear and dreams
Nightmare Factory

Fear creates nightmares
Vesuvius wants to rule
He has an army

Andrew and Poppy
Are stolen from their own dreams
What is worth their lives?
Trace Wilkins
Trace Wilkins marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Incognito
Incognito marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Amber Star
Amber Star marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Ana Lelis
Ana Lelis marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Meunatuna
Meunatuna marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Katie
Katie added it
Xylab
Xylab marked it as to-read
Alana S
Alana S marked it as to-read
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jossette
Jossette marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
El
El is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Foggygirl
Foggygirl marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Daiane
Daiane marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Alice Lindau
Alice Lindau marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • The Marble Queen
  • Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact (Darwen Arkwright, #1)
  • The Mapmaker and the Ghost
  • Little Dog Lost: The True Story of a Brave Dog Named Baltic
  • The Monster Who Lost His Mean
  • Cybernetic
  • Chained
  • Mystique
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • League of Strays