Start by marking “The Nightmare Factory” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare Factory

The Nightmare Factory

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
There's a secret you need to know. A secret about how nightmares are made. Welcome to the Nightmare Factory. When Andrew Lake and his twin sister Poppy are stolen from their dreams, they find themselves trapped in a strange realm parallel to our own.
320 pages
Published May 3rd 2012 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare Factory

KaRo
Czy zastanawialiście się kiedyś jak powstają sny? A może szukaliście odpowiedzi na to, skąd się biorą koszmary? Gdyby ktoś Wam powiedział, że swój początek biorą w dwóch fabrykach, uwierzylibyście?

Andrew i Poppy są bliźniakami. Mieszkają tylko z matką, ponieważ ich ojciec zginął podczas ratowania syna z pożaru. Od tego czasu chłopiec panicznie boi się ognia. Ostatnio miewa też dziwne sny, w których ucieka przed nieznajomym mężczyzną. Pewnego dnia budzi się z siostrą w innym wymiarze, okazuje się...more
Laura Noakes
I have a massive soft spot for really well written middle-grade fantasy. And I really, really wanted to love The Nightmare Factory, but for some reason I just couldn’t. I thought that the whole concept of being trapped in dreams and the nightmare factory could have being explained a bit more. However, I was drawn in by the plot, I was worried about Poppy and Andrew and I wanted them to get out of The Nightmare Factory. But their brother sister relationship did at times seem slightly contrived. I...more
Neil Trigger
A very very good breakout novel from one of the most original minds in children's fantasy to emerge in a long time.

The nightmare factory follows the usual path of the young male protagonist (though interestingly he is followed by his sister). They are captured and placed into what seems to be a prison within a dream.

The story engages quickly and mixes a lot of paradigms and belief systems to build a magical mystery with depth. I really enjoyed it.
Tonja Drecker
I love middle grade and was excited to read a 'darker' story. The plot moves along very nicely - never a dull moment. I found one or two scenes unnecessarily gory (must be the Mom in me). The room full of blood didn't add anything to the plot and seemed a bit heavy for the level.

All in all, it was a nice read and I'm sure kids will absolutely love it.
Emily
This won the Waverton Good Read Children's Award, so I thought it'd be wrong of me not to read it. Plus reading children's books every so often is a nice escape/easy read. Some of the ideas in it were really original, which was brilliant - others less so but an enjoyable read none the less.
Whizy
Fantastic! I started reading and could not put the book down. Lucy has created very vivid and believable characters and a superb plot. I can't wait until the next book to find out what happens to Vesuvius. This book will appeal to all readers both young and old. Thoroughly recommended.
Haiku Reviews
A Great Young Adult
Novel about fear and dreams
Nightmare Factory

Fear creates nightmares
Vesuvius wants to rule
He has an army

Andrew and Poppy
Are stolen from their own dreams
What is worth their lives?
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Nadine
Nadine added it
Aug 31, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jul 11, 2014
Gwyneth
Gwyneth marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Shylah
Shylah added it
Mar 06, 2014
Ganoes Paran
Ganoes Paran marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Daksh Mehta
Daksh Mehta marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
David Villamil
David Villamil marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Shirley Fernandez
Shirley Fernandez marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Muna
Muna marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Raabia
Raabia marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013