Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  48,839 ratings  ·  6,863 reviews
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting R...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2012)

Nataliya
Dec 04, 2013 Nataliya rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nataliya by: the word 'Grisha'
The biggest issue with this book is actually NOT the utter fail at correctly incorporating the Russian elements into the story.

It's that I'd never be able to pick this book out of a generic YA book lineup.

It's like a ninja, perfectly blending into its surroundings, into that painfully generic landscape that plagues YA literature recently, the lackluster background against which few gems truly stand out. And gem this one is not.

I think at this point there is a formula that many YA writers view as...more
Steph Sinclair

Check out the interview with Leigh Bardugo where she saves Kat Kennedy and I from Ninjas. True story. Also, there's a giveaway of a finished copy of Shadow and Bone!

If I could wrap up my emotions about how I felt after reading Shadow and Bone and send them to you through my computer screen, I totally would. Instead, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for my words: THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING! I wish I could unread it just so I can go back and re-read it again for the first time.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yes, I loved it that much...more
Kat Kennedy
Damn you, Leigh Barduga. Damn you for tricking me.

Leigh Barduga is like some kind of literary crouching tiger, hidden dragon or something.

You would be forgiven, upon commencing this novel, for thinking Shadow and Bone is redundant, cliched piece of tripe book with poor story-telling, average writing and a predictable plot. People who haven't read countless Young Adult novels probably wouldn't notice the trends, but I did. This is what I thought and Leigh led me down the primrose path until... BO...more
Tatiana
Apr 09, 2012 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Divergent and Grave Mercy
Recommended to Tatiana by: 5 star reviews
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, ya, ala-ya-2013
As seen on The Readventurer

It is alright, if you are into fantasy lite. I, on the other hand, am a little weary of this lightish, breezy and superficial entertainment. Give me something juicier, something more thoughtful, something more sophisticated.

Shadow and Bone is a decent book. Bardugo's writing style is easy and engaging. The plot is developed enough to masquerade the fact that the biggest chunk of it is the usual boarding school fare with makeovers, mean girl drama, petty rivalr...more
"That's All" Ash
 photo 1caffddcbcf2b4bb8b4a9d9bf5164c82.jpg

HA! Just kidding.

photo AHAHAHA.gif

This isn't your fifth-grade English paper, darling.

You don’t get points for trying.

photo tumblr_md5jwzeHxI1r53dllo1_400_zps37fb1c50-1.gif

See, to me, YA is like the BIG LEAGUES when it comes to book genres.

In YA… you have to be able to tell a story. And you have to do it really well. Because in this genre, you can’t rely on those really steamy sex scenes or hot business moguls with BDSM skeletons in their closet to carry your series. And you can’t use an infinite amount of those really pretty curse words to get your point acros...more
Sam
‘I’ve been waiting for you for a long time, Alina,’ he said. ‘You and I are going to change the world.’

There is so much to love about this book.

Let us start with Ravka. This highly fantastical world is a work of pure ingenuity and imagination. Leigh Bardugo masters the art of show-not-tell as she recreates this masterpiece in the reader’s head. I wasn’t even aware of this map until after I had finished reading the book but it is exactly how I pictured it. The Shadow Fold, a deadly strip of thic...more
Veronica Roth
Loved it. More later!
Steph Su
People have been throwing 4 and 5 stars at this book left and right, and I wonder what I missed. I was prepared to give this book 2 stars, maybe even 3 if I was feeling generous on the day I wrote the review, but as I pushed myself through the first half of this book, I encountered increasingly more things that irritated me, until the one that pushed me over the edge and convinced me that I’d be okay with not ever finishing SHADOW AND BONE.

It started out strong: atmospheric and engrossing. Past...more
Sarah (saz101)
Feb 26, 2013 Sarah (saz101) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah (saz101) by: Everyone, ever.
Because words won't do, THIS is my review of Shadow and Bone:

Shadow and Bone drove me to drink O__O

Hmph, and what has Ms Bardugo to say?

LOL. (Your tears only make me stronger.) RT @sazbah: My review of @lbardugo's Shadow and Bone #WhenWordsWontDo twitter.com/sazbah/status/…

— Leigh Bardugo (@LBardugo) February 19, 2013

Circus Princess
O. Mah. Gah.

Leigh Bardugo, you fucking liar. You're no human. You're a Grisha with the talent to write like a fucking goddess.

It was 4th of July when I really started reading this. I mean, I'd read like 30 pages the days before, and I'd liked it, but it wasn't until Independence Day that I was hooked. I went to this party at my cousin's house with an in-ground pool, sweets, horror movies, Sparklers, and even a fucking pinata. You know what I did at that party?

I did not swim.

I did not stuff mysel...more
Emily May

Please note: this is not really a review. In fact, this may be my most useless non-review to date (there have been a few) and is actually better described as a random mish-mash of my thoughts and feelings on this book. "Aren't all your reviews like that, Emily?" I hear you cry, but alas, the random incoherentness is somewhat even more pronounced in this one.

You know, I've wondered ever since Shadow and Bone was released last year whether I would fall into the camp of gushing, never-ending love...more
Sarah Maas
Apr 13, 2011 Sarah Maas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
I don't think words can properly describe how much I adored SHADOW & BONE. The characters, the world-building...it completely blew me away. There were moments when I was so stunned by the beauty and the brilliance that I had to stop reading. I never wanted this book to end.

This is the best YA fantasy novel I've read since SABRIEL or THE GOLDEN COMPASS.
Komal Mikaelson
Initial Reaction after Completion

I was wavering between 4.5 and 5, but what the hell.
5 enormous, scintillating stars it is.

This book.

Wow.

Wow.

It was brilliant, amazing, and hype-worthy.
One of the few books I've read that live up to its hype and smashes my expectations with its inherent goodness.

I don't even know what to say. It was ASDFGHJKLPOIUYTREWQ!
Okay, calm down.
*deep breaths*

Lets get this over with.

The Story/ The Setting
Awesome.
You know, how we come across fantasy works with all this pot...more
Zemira Warner
*does the Carlton dance*

So,my persistence has finally paid off and I won this freaking book after so many tweets and posts and likes.

*continues to Carlton dance*

Hey people!

What to say about this book and not sound like a raging fangirl? Well, this will be one of those gif reviews for sure.
When I got it I was all like
wow what a pretty map.
Then I did
for hours.
We meet Darkling and he is mighty fine I have to say.
Photobucket
I am scared to continue so I
Something happens and I am
How did I not s...more
Giselle
While fantasy can be a hit or miss for me, I'm glad that I'm able to add another one to my hit pile. When I started Shadow and Bone I was a bit intimidated by the strange new world; by the bizarre terms such as Corporalki and Keramzin, or the ones I can't even pronounce (ie Otkazat’sya); and also by all this talk of the Shadow Fold that was obviously important but I didn't completely understand. However, as the world building is more showing rather than telling, the more I read, the more I was a...more
K.
Well, if this isn't the review that wouldn't write itself.

The correct term for my current condition is Tskdn;ieajnrja. It is a state in which the mind of a reader of young adult fiction is awesomely blown. I've lost all sense of decorum. You see, all I want to do is fangirl. That's it. All the time. I come near the book and its a reaction -- I just squeal and squeeze my hands to my heart and bat my lashes and swing side to side, breathe in air, breathe out wishful thoughts. Or this.

description

It's a sympto...more
Bern
Sometimes in life, you're going to read one of those books that are just so good, so wonderful and so utterly gahworthy that words escape you and you can't ascribe it any quality besides

It's like being plagued with a heavy, thunderous storm for ages and then have the skies split open in half and Angels descend from them as the rain slows to a drizzle and lo!, it's party time at the pearly gates and God's heavenly favorites have come to escort you to your VIP lounge! A glorious banquet has been l...more
Hershey
"You and I are going to change the world."

What can I say about this book? There’s so much to say and so much to love about this book. Bardugo's novel Shadow and Bone struck a chord in my heart from the very beginning. I loved the prologue. I find the concept of kids falling in love and comforting each other in desolate times adorable.

This book is a phenomenal piece of work. A rarity as I have never come across such a different and captivating story line in a long time.

I wish I could forg...more
Rick Riordan
So many YA fantasy romances out there these days. You would think it would be hard to put a fresh spin on the concept, but Leigh Bardugo makes it look easy. Her debut Shadow and Bone takes Russian folklore and mythology and creates an alternate tsarist Russia (Ravka) where magic and military might coexist uneasily. Imagine a cross between Cashore's Graceling and Westerfeld's Leviathan . . . and yet Shadow and Bone is unique.

Our main characters, Alina and Mal, grow up as orphans at the estate of...more
Catie
2 1/2 stars

If I had read this five or ten years ago, I would have probably liked it quite a bit more. Unfortunately, in the past ten years I have read a lot of young adult fantasy novels. And in that time, I’ve noticed certain recurring themes:

1) Plain Jane heroine, disadvantaged in some way (poverty, lower caste, younger sibling, etc).
2) Finds out that she has the most super-special power of them all.
3) Makeover facilitated by the fashionable friend.
4) Bitchy, super-attractive rival.
5) Endless...more
Nanou
I wonder why Leigh Bardugo, having based her book heavily on Russian culture, made it so totally and laughably unreadable for anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of Russian language. Well, alright, not the slightest maybe, but knowledge nevertheless.
Because no Russian can seriosly read a book, where right on the first page appears a woman named Ana Kuya.
It's "Why the fuck?" in Russian.
I couldn't go on, really.

(Especially after I've read somewhere that there are girls in the book named...more
Jo
So I have this tendency to make up a phrase or a word and use it so often and determinedly that I actually forget that it’s not a real thing. I am often reminded that I am a ridiculous human being have this tendency when I mention said phrase/word to other people and they look at me for a moment before backing away slowly.
Today, ladies and gentlemen, you are about to witness the creation of one of these phrases.
Bonnet Eaters.
OK, I should probably explain this one.
I stay way clear of certain book...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

A few years ago, YA Fantasy was suddenly swamped with brand new series from brand new authors. REALLY good brand new series from brand new authors. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo was the second of that batch that I read, and I hadn’t really wanted to. The cover was weirdly creepy and looked to be inspired by Mother Russia. The only Russian anything I had ever read was Anna Karenina, and let me tell you—NOT a fan: “My life sucks, so I think I’ll throw myself under a trai...more
Mimi Valentine
There's no doubt in my mind that this will end up being one of the BEST books of the entire year! Best world, best heroine, best writing, best romance... There are just so many breathtaking things in this book, I can't believe I ever had a doubt!

Shadow and Bone is high fantasy at its best. (There's that word again!) The world-building of Ravka is flawless. It makes you believe and fear the terrible Shadow Fold that splits it in two, with its ravenous monsters, but there's never an overwhelming...more
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review

Shadow and Bone (SaB) is book 1 in the Grisha trilogy, a Russian-inspired fantasy. Alas, the fantasy was like a lumpy beef stew — it wasn't cooked properly. The plot was disappointing, the protagonist pathetic, the magical world mundane, the antagonist...surprisingly cool so why was he not the protagonist of the story?

The Plot

Over 81,000 words, the novel began with a timid girl who in a dire moment unleashed a dormant power to rescue her friend. It wasn't just any power, it w...more
Miriam
At first I thought this was going to be really good. We start with the sad, pale war orphans roaming like animals or ghosts through the vast manor house and eavesdropping on servants. Then the as-yet-unexplained "Grisha" show up with their mysterious tests and unknown powers. Then we jump forward a decade and see our orphans grown up, or nearly, and enlisted, marching through a cold, grim land that seems perpetually at war. They must brave the almost-impossible crossing of the Unsea, a region of...more
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
Quick Review
"What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men."

I always underestimate how wonderful a YA book can be and a fantasy YA novel, if done right, has the chance to be spectacular.
"The world is changing, Alina."

What a surprise this book was! I had been in this horrid book funk where nothing was holding my attention and Shadow and Bone quickly snapped me out of it.
This book quickly had me engrossed in its pages. The writing, the characters, and the concept had me clinging to i...more
Mizuki
Warning: F-words here and there and a lot of ranting, don't like don't read

Rating: It's a "not the worst book I have ever read but it's not that far/not lives up to the hype/author did very poor research" 2 stars.

In order to save you some precious time, I will tell you my reaction to this book (especially the ending part) now:

(Link: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/dir-en-gr...)

My thoughts before finished reading...

I read up to page. 108 of Shadow and Bone, but already I'm feeling so pissed off that...more
Kelli Lee
This book, aargh, book, I didn't mesh with you whatsoever. For you are vain and shallow and have little to no substance for my tastes. And a plot? Was it hidden? Alas, I failed to find it.

The plot, there was little to none. Well, only if you consider attending balls, nonstop makeovers, endless gazing at one's self in mirrors plot-worthy. And the mirror-mirroring on the wall didn't stop there, let me tell you. MC, Alina, also invited a girlfriend over, Genya, to do the same while they danced and...more
Basuhi (is back and reading again)
3.5 Stars.

Maybe I'll even round it off to a 4.
Maybe.
I just couldn't, not after the second book.

Let's get straight to the point, shall we ?

The Characters.

They are normal, if nothing more. Alina. Mal. The Darkling. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, according to masses that is what is right but it doesn't intrigue me or bewitch me so, I'm just "fine" with them. I've got no special feelings harbored or intense experiences to be shared.

Alina, the protagonist is everything a...more
Fancasting for the movie! 23 399 Jul 26, 2014 10:49AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - Restarting July 4th AND August 18th 2014 76 67 Jul 05, 2014 06:41PM
YA Book Gang!!: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo—Starts 4th July 18 14 Jul 05, 2014 05:24AM
Addiction to Teen...: Shadow & Bone---> Starting June 27th 5 11 Jun 28, 2014 12:42PM
Does The Darkling love Alina or is it fake? 55 663 Jun 23, 2014 07:40AM
Genya 3 40 Jun 14, 2014 09:17AM
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Vessel
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Shadows on the Moon
  • Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
Leigh Bardugo was born in Jerusalem, raised in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University. These days, she hides out in Hollywood and indulges her fondness for glamour, ghouls, and costuming in her other life as makeup artist L.B. Benson.

Her debut novel, Shadow & Bone (Holt Children's/Macmillan) is now a New York Times Best Seller.

She would be delighted if you followed her on Twitter, e...more
More about Leigh Bardugo...
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5) The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5) The Too-Clever Fox (The Grisha, #2.5)

“I missed you every hour. And you know what the worst part was? It caught me completely by surprise. I'd catch myself just walking around to find you, not for any reason, just out of habit, because I'd seen something that I wanted to tell you about or because I wanted to hear your voice. And then I'd realize that you weren't there anymore, and every time, every single time, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I've risked my life for you. I've walked half the length of Ravka for you, and I'd do it again and again and again just to be with you, just to starve with you and freeze with you and hear you complain about hard cheese every day. So don't tell me why we don't belong together," he said fiercely.” 728 likes
“I don't care if you danced naked on the roof of the Little Palace with him. I love you, Alina, even the part of you that loved him.” 371 likes