Start by marking “Pandora's Hope: Essays on the Reality of Science Studies” as Want to Read:
Pandora's Hope: Essays on the Reality of Science Studies

Pandora's Hope: Essays on the Reality of Science Studies

Bruno Latour was once asked him: Do you believe in reality? This text is an attempt to answer this question. Through case studies of scientists in the Amazon analyzing soil and in Pasteur's lab studying lactic acid, he shows the steps by which physical events become scientific knowlege.
Published June 30th 1999 by Harvard University Press

To ask other readers questions about Pandora's Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandora's Hope

0spinboson
Aug 08, 2009 0spinboson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paper
Enormously interesting book.
Latour attempts (imo with great success) to solve the 'problem' of the ontological status of ("social") facts by showing how facts are inextricably linked to the objects they refer to, the practices those objects are used in, etc. (That is, he solves the question how we can avoid the problem of the status of knowledge introduced by postmodernism.)
He argues that the primary reason why we have such trouble grounding reality is because we want to at all costs ground it s
Sam
My favorite of his.
Bart
Jan 22, 2015 Bart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to Latour's thoughts on STS. He often repeats himself though, and there are some parts that were really unnecessary. I mean, 7 pages on what metaphor is the best metaphor for the things he just said, with a table with pros and cons for every metaphor? How does that help me understand him? Just choose the right metaphor and stick with it. Repetitions make this book longer than necessary, but it's still an amazing read.
Katherine
Really tough to get the head around some of Latour but this is a very interesting book. I admire what the aim is - the bridging of positivist ideas of knowledge and a social constructionist idea of knowledge.
Andrew
Nov 09, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very compelling, I thought. Latour does his anthropology in a way that would have appealed to me a lot near the end of my undergraduate studies. This only makes me want to dig more into his corpus.
Zornitsa Dimitrova
it was quite okay. perhaps a but too verbose at moments.
Bender
Aug 02, 2016 Bender rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Voluptas occaecati quibusdam consequuntur ea. Iste dolorem odit culpa cum commodi omnis. Aut provident corrupti mollitia dolores reprehenderit voluptatem.
Bryanbannon
Apr 10, 2013 Bryanbannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of essays expanding on many of the themes that concern Latour while demonstrating the myriad ways in which his work has been misinterpreted.
Roger Tavares
Apr 12, 2009 Roger Tavares rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very interesting, but some parts sounds overdone
David
Mar 21, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, I'm finally grasping the sense that there is no "out there" out there and that there is another way to grasp reality.
Julia
Read chapters 1,2,4
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
Gorete
Gorete rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2009
Thom
Thom rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Ofer Engel
Ofer Engel rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Brian M.
Brian M. rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Bartell Alzbeth
Bartell Alzbeth rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2012
Steven Peck
Steven Peck rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Ryan Lam
Ryan Lam rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Jon Foley
Jon Foley rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Maarten
Maarten rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Flaneurette
Flaneurette rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2010
Mrs. Bradshaw
Mrs. Bradshaw rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Kristen Case
Kristen Case rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Gift
Gift rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Stuart
Stuart rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2009
Sam Grange
Sam Grange rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Soren Dayton
Soren Dayton rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Conversations on Science, Culture, and Time: Michel Serres with Bruno Latour
  • Prince of Networks: Bruno LaTour and Metaphysics
  • The Ecological Thought
  • Modest_witness@second_millennium.Femaleman_meets_oncomouse: Feminism and Technoscience
  • New Materialisms: Ontology, Agency, and Politics
  • Leviathan and the Air-Pump: Hobbes, Boyle, and the Experimental Life
  • Meeting the Universe Halfway: Quantum Physics and the Entanglement of Matter and Meaning
  • Science and the Modern World
  • The Social Construction of What?
  • The Golem: What You Should Know about Science
  • The Three Ecologies
  • Critique of Everyday Life, Vol. 3: From Modernity to Modernism (Towards a Metaphilosophy of Daily Life)
  • The Democracy of Objects
  • A New Philosophy of Society: Assemblage Theory and Social Complexity
  • Bodies of Work: Essays
  • Dialogues II
  • The Animal That Therefore I Am
  • Deleuze: The Clamor of Being
Bruno Latour is a French sociologist of science and anthropologist and an influential theorist in the field of Science and Technology Studies (STS). After teaching at the École des Mines de Paris (Centre de Sociologie de l'Innovation) from 1982 to 2006, he is now Professor and vice-president for research at Sciences Po Paris (2007), where he is associated with the Centre de sociologie des organisa ...more
More about Bruno Latour...