Start by marking “22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk” as Want to Read:
22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk

22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  10,485 Ratings  ·  353 Reviews
Two world-renowned marketing consultants and bestselling authors present the definitive rules of marketing.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, please sign up.

Mark Ngô Skimming first, reading a whole book is not advisible :)

Viraj
Nov 17, 2008 Viraj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Viraj by: Joseph Laia, Miasole
Shelves: management
For the summary, please email / PM me.

1: The Law of Leadership: It’s better to be first than it is to be better.
2: The law of category: If you can’t be first in a category, setup a new category you can be first in.
3: The law of the mind: It’s better to be first in the mind than to be first in the market place
4: The law of perception: Marketing is not a battle of products; it’s a battle of perceptions.
Luke
Dec 11, 2009 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Ferriss listed this in his top 5 favorite books, so I picked it up. The core of the 22 laws is Identity.

The authors argue that too many businesses believe they will win simply by having the best product, which isn't true. The winner is the product that captures the mind of its target customers.

When a product is first to market, the first of its category, it usually establishes a foothold that no other company can wrest away. So create your own category, and be first there. Win the minds of t
Melissa
Apr 05, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The usual business book....They violated their title in the first chapter...
Saeed

---------------------

نکته ی جالب این کتاب اینه که نویسنده به شدت از دونالد ترامپ انتقاد میکنه

:))))
Joseph McBee
Sep 01, 2011 Joseph McBee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because another business author I like recommended it and because I am currently writing a class on marketing and wanted to use it for research.

I hated it.

I want to be careful here. When writing a review for a book I don't like I want to keep in mind that I am talking about something that people created. I do NOT want to write anything that I would not say to the authors' faces if they were standing right in front of me. This is difficult in a way because I really, REALLY didn't
Munkhbayar Baatarkhuu
Энэ бол, миний бодлоор, гайхамшиг. Бизнесийн алтан дүрэм гэдэг номтой дүйцэхүйц чамбай бүтээл болж чадсан.
Umar Ghumman
May 19, 2009 Umar Ghumman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The laws are still applicable and will be applicable 25 years from now.
Yevgeniy Brikman
This book is a good overview of basic marketing principles, but the so-called "immutable laws" are neither laws nor immutable. They are, at best, rules of thumb that often change and contradict each other. The book itself contains plenty of examples of this! For example, they talk at length about the "Law of Extension", and how successful brands should never extend their product line to new products/markets, but in later chapters, you see a few successful examples of companies doing exactly that ...more
Kirtida Gautam
Dec 19, 2015 Kirtida Gautam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing is a great book. It's very small and easy to read. The chapters start with words of wisdom. Some of them are counter intuitive and makes complete sense.

Few Quotes that I liked.
Hype is hype. Real revolutions don’t arrive at high noon with marching bands and coverage on the 6 p.m. news. Real revolutions arrive unannounced in the middle of the night and kind of speak up on you.

Capturing the imagination of the public is not the same as revolutionizing a market.
Mahdi Nasseri
Sep 14, 2016 Mahdi Nasseri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
در کل مطالعه کتاب احساس می کردم وارد معبد باستانی در سرزمین مارکتینگ شده ام و چهار زانو در خدمت استادی زبردست و سرد و گرم چشیده نشسته ام تا او عصاره آموزه های عرفانی و سیر و سلوک خود را در مسیر مارکتینگ یک به یک به من یاد دهد.
آموزه هایی صریح، موجز و طبق معمول غیرمنتظره و بعضا کاملا متضاد با آموزه های مدارس رسمی بیرون این معبد.
در این کتاب ۲۲ قانون ساده و صریح گفته شده که شاید بتوان بعضی از آنها را در یک دسته بزرگ تر قرار داد. کتاب مملو از مثال هایی از شرکت های بزرگ، داستان های موفقیت و شکست و همی
Ahmad Abugosh
So many people recommend that I read this book, so I finally gave it a shot.

At first I thought it was amazing and lived up to the hype, law of leadership, cool, law of perception, even better! I loved how he got psychological about it and talks about how people perceive brands.

Where he began to lose me however, was everything that had to do with anything that happened in the last 20 years. I realize this book was written in the early 90's but some of the things he mentioned have been proved wr
Dexter Zhuang
I'm not sure how immutable these laws really are, but many of them are pretty interesting to read. I think the biggest takeaways for me from Al Ries and Jack Trout are that 1) you should always strive to be #1 in your category in peoples' minds 2) if you're not #1, differentiate yourself completely from the #1 and occupy your niche 3) be cautious about moving into other categories of mindshare at the risk of losing hold of your currently dominated category.

The key assumption I think made in this
Stephanie Li
Mar 14, 2016 Stephanie Li rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Received this 23-year-old book for my 23rd birthday and wanted to like it but it was so frustrating.

"There are laws of nature (physics), so why shouldn't there be laws of marketing?"

??? Here are just a couple reasons:
1) Dealing with absolutes sets an author up to look foolish when most of his examples don't come true... e.g. "There are ominous signs of softness in Microsoft's strategy... i.e. expanding into spreadsheets (Lotus is the leader), word processing (WordPerfect is the leader), and busi
Dũng Nguyễn
Feb 27, 2016 Dũng Nguyễn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book practical and interesting, except for the last law where authors stressed the importance of money in Marketing, I mean, what happened with new wave of startups recently proved that money doesn't matter that much in marketing.

However, I again believe that this is a MUST-READ book for those who want to step in the market, either they use these rules or not
Ahmad El shazly
Aug 04, 2016 Ahmad El shazly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a beginner in the marketing field, I feel so lucky to start with this book.
Carlos Pohle
Some really good points made, but packed full with hindsight biases.
Ricardo
Apr 10, 2017 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has some outdated information and others things didn't come true, but overall the book is solid. It gives you great insides how to approach marketing. One thing is that it says that is hard or impossible to predict the future, but the book does try that in a few occasions.
Nguyên ngộ ngộ
Cuốn sách đầu tiên đọc về marketing, nên thấy nhiều cái mới mẻ.
1. Quy luật tiên phong
Trở thành người đầu tiên cho cái sp, dv đó sẽ tốt hơn là thuyết phục bà con cô bác rằng: hàng tui tốt hơn hàng thằng đó. No no no.
Ai là người đặt chân lên mặt trăng? Neil Armstrong
Ai là người thứ hai? - google cái đã....
2. Quy luật chủng loại
Chẳng hạn như có sp, dv nào đó đã "tiên phong" trước mình ở lĩnh vực đó, thì sẽ hướng vào chủng loại để marketing. Ví dụ: IBM đứng đầu lĩnh vực máy tính, còn DEC đứng đầu tr
Tobias Nervik
1: The Law of Leadership: It’s better to be first than it is to be better.
5: The law of focus: The most powerful concept in marketing is owning a word in the prospect’s mind.
6: The Law of Exclusivity: Two co
Bo
Mar 11, 2017 Bo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
На 4-й книге Траута с Райсом понял, что все это уже слышал, а одними кейсами IBM и Xerox сыт не будешь
Ramneesh Singla
6: The Law of Exclusivity: Two co
Inna Zaichenko
Sep 14, 2015 Inna Zaichenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Маркетинг делится на 2 части: высокий и приземленный. Эта книга - о высоком: с теорией, социальной и личностной психологией, примесью пиара. Но (!) с практическими примерами. Что делает эту книгу полезным пособием для маркетолога: с 22 законами to follow.

Из запомнившегося:
- Marketing is a battle of perceptions, not products
- There is no objective reality. There are no facts. There are no best products. All that exists in the world of marketing are perceptions in the minds of the customer or pros
Dax
Jan 25, 2015 Dax rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great illustration of what can go wrong with business wiriting. The 22 Laws themselves are actually great. I can see the value in the insights shared by the authors. The problem with the book is the timeliness of the examples. I laughed out loud several times because the supporting references they used were either incrediblly dated or just completly wrrong.

Don't get me wrong. I am not bashing the authors becuase they are not omniscient. Exactly the opposite. The point is that thi
Richard Kuhn
May 05, 2014 Richard Kuhn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for years and have used it as a reference many times, but have never read it from start to end. All I can say is I should have when I got the book. The book was referred to me by a successful friend in business who said he used a couple of these principles in his practice. I plan on using some of these principles as well.

It's amazing when you look at the history of successful brands and how they lost their market share and why. This book also goes into what to and what not t
Scott Wozniak
Apr 10, 2015 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the classic books on marketing. It's very well written and has deep insights. However, I give four rather than five stars for two reasons:

1) It's totally cynical. The book opens with the worldview that there is no actual physical world, it's all perception. Therefore there is no such thing as truth. The entire book is flavored with that "do whatever works" approach. It acknowledges truth as an important marketing principle, but only in that you will lose sales if you get caught.
Yulenka
Apr 21, 2015 Yulenka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ad-life
This book was published over 10 years ago (at least the copy that I had was) so a lot of the numbers and products have changed and I'm sure the marketplace for a lot of them has changed as well. That aside, the actual laws were pretty good. Applicable in modern times for sure, and generally insightful.
I did find some of it to be common sense, and I felt that maybe some laws overlapped to the point of being really similar, but it was well written. I liked that each chapter was only a couple page
Pete
Dec 23, 2013 Pete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine read and highly recommended. The authors have taken a complex topic and distilled it down to its fundamental essence. The style of writing is pithy and clear with great yet simple examples. Remember you can always break the rules defined by the book, it is however important to be aware of the rules before you decide to break them.
Josh Steimle
Pros: Good, solid advice on marketing.

Cons: While the principles will hold true forever, the book is about 20 years old and so the examples are quite outdated, although entertainingly and educationally so. The book is also quite short. I would love to read an updated version of the book with modern-day examples and about 5 times the content.
Alec Reshefsky
Mar 06, 2014 Alec Reshefsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book was written back in 1994, this easy-read book was very entertaining and mind expanding. I would highly recommend it to anyone eager to become more savvy about how our world works and more to the point; what works in developing and marketing new and improved ideas!
علياء
Feb 19, 2016 علياء rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: متفرقات
قرأت ملخصاً بالعربية عن هذا الكتاب، والخطوط العامة له مفيدة جداً قبل أن تبدأ أي محاولات ومشاريع تسويقية تحديداً.
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The Path of Least Resistance for Managers
  • Ultimate Sales Machine
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
Al Ries is a marketing professional and author. He is also the co-founder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries coined the term "positioning", as related to the field of marketing, and authored Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, an industry standard on the subject.
Ries graduated from DePauw Unive
More about Al Ries...

“Marketing is a battle of perceptions, not products.” 6 likes
“The only reality you can be sure about is in your own perceptions. If the universe exists, it exists inside your own mind and the minds of others.” 3 likes