Start by marking “An Ex to Grind” as Want to Read:
An Ex to Grind

An Ex to Grind

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  467 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The battle of the sexes rages on in this smart, witty, and extremely timely comedy from the phenomenally popular Jane Heller

At first, Manhattan financial planner Melanie Banks adores Dan Swain, her pro football player husband who's got a sexy Oklahoma drawl to go with his athletic good looks. But then his career comes to a screeching halt and he spends the next few years
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about An Ex to Grind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ex to Grind

Kelli
Mar 23, 2009 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Insane chick-lit book. I'm not enjoying this book but I'm halfway through and feel obligated to finish it for some reason. The premise is ridiculous and predictable.......there's a twist in there that made my eyes roll back in my head. If I wanted fantasy, I'd read Harry Potter.
Graceann
Nov 03, 2009 Graceann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only hard core Jane Heller fans
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't know what happened to the witty novelist who wrote INFERNAL AFFAIRS and THE SECRET INGREDIENT. AN EX TO GRIND was a clear departure for Ms. Heller, and a truly disappointing one at that.

Melanie Banks, a most unsympathetic character, is a financial analyst who is griping that, since she was the breadwinner in their marriage, she has to pay her husband maintenance in their divorce. She hits upon a clause in their divorce agreement that gives her a light at the end of the tunnel and she sin
Katie
Feb 16, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really wanted to like this book. Unfortunately, through most of it I found the main character annoying and...well, kind of a bitch. It's possible that's what I was supposed to think, but since it was written in first person, it prevented me from really connecting with her. If you're a big chick lit fan, though, I could see that it might be enjoyable. Alas, it was not for me.
Jan 09, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was also fun and easy to read. It pushes the boundaries of actually believable but I still enjoyed it. It's basically about a successful woman who divorces her lazy ex-NFL-injured-who-refuses-to-get-a-job husband and then finds out part of the divorce settlement is her paying alimony to him. What makes matters worse is the ex-husband parades around spending said alimony on frivolous things like Crystal and trips on private jets. She's determined to get out of this alimony using the loo ...more
Lori
Apr 08, 2015 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was intriguing enough...if not for all the whining of the main character. Midway through the book I wanted to tell her to shut up already...but I couldn't stop reading because I had to know if she ever really got herself together and moved on.
Katie Steele
Feb 02, 2015 Katie Steele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, audiobook
Absolute worst thing I have ever tried to read in my life. Gave up after 50 pages and even that was way too much.
Sarah Keltner
This book was awesome! So clever and funny. Definitely want to read more by this author.
Nicole Barker halladay
I so wanted to love it but i didnt.. just had issues with characters
Cheryl
Mar 18, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line was good, but I was really disappointed in the ending.
Martha Cox
Oct 09, 2015 Martha Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book and a quick read. The end annoyed me.
Melissa Mckinsey
Jan 02, 2015 Melissa Mckinsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable, but entertaining. Audio book for road-time.
Bev Sturgis
Apr 29, 2015 Bev Sturgis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kirstin
Aug 03, 2015 Kirstin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-books, chick-lit
Started this one, got a few pages in & decided to read the reviews. After getting through a bunch, I decided this one wasn't for me & quit it. I do that with VERY few books I choose to read for myself.
Sue Kundrath
This book took me a longer to read for some reason, but while it was entertaining, I found the main character a little annoying. I felt the ending left me hanging, as if there was more she could write about with Evan's and her reunion.
Katie
Apr 03, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I almost stopped reading this one about a third of the way in; I didn't like the main character and found her behavior unbelievable. The middle third was okay. The last third was decent. I haven't enjoyed Heller's last few books nearly as much as her early books that were more like funny mysteries than the dreaded chick lit.
Tenna
Jun 21, 2010 Tenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am somewhere between 3 and 4 stars on this one. I saw this on a reading list because a film is going to be made of it. It was ok...funny at parts, heart warming during others. But, I feel like the change in the main characters was so quick it was totally unrealistic. I'd still say give it a shot for a beach read!
Elena
Feb 29, 2012 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pros: The book was an OK weekend read.

Cons: She (main character) was annoying me throughout with her actions, although i did see where
she was coming from with the ex frustration. A money-wasting-lazy-dumb-jock ex whom she
has to pay money just because he refuses to get on with his life!?
Cdomin2
stacie
Oct 20, 2012 stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
you never know what you've got til it's gone is a predominant theme in this book. the main character tries to get revenge in her ex-husband and loses everything in the process. the first 75% of this book was a bit painful to get through but the last 25% had a good message that saved the book for me.
Kathy McC
I need a light hearted book! This was it. I have read better chick lit, but his book had realistic characters and did provide and entertaining diversion from the emotionally draining and brain tiring books I had been reading. I prefer better literature, but this book was a nice vacation.
Jeri
Jun 15, 2009 Jeri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Started this book with high hopes...kind of a cute premise. I have liked Jane Heller's books in the past. But, I gave it 50 pages and hated it. Didn't care about the characters, found the heroine annoying and whiny, the hero just a pretty face. Better luck next time, Jane.
Jean Galloway
Jun 19, 2013 Jean Galloway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i accidentally found this book in the library and loved it .. i cant wait to read more of her others ... i finished it in 2 nights i couldnt put it down ... definitely chick lit bu ta fast read and kept my interest on every page !!
Cindy
Oct 03, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book around 10pm last night and finished by 6am. I got hooked! What an emotional read.....then the ending ARE YOU KIDDING ME....poison ivy. I agree with other reviews that the ending was very disappointing
Jen
Apr 18, 2010 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
About a quarter of the way through the book I simply skipped to the last chapter because I couldn't stand the main character's whining anymore. Trite and annoying. And of course, it ended exactly like I expected it to.
Tina Betz
The main character is annoying and she makes you want to stop reading the book. It gets better and unfortunately this is how some girls are. Don't know what a good man they have until he's gone. Overall a good book.
Sharon
This heroine was not very likeable, and I found the basic premise (that so many women are now paying alimony they are resentful) did not ring true. Since it's summertime, I went ahead and finished it.
Melissa
I am enjoying this book. Easy reading but keeps me interested. Its about a business oriented down to earth type of girl, who puts her job first and might possibly regret it.
Melissa
I don't typically read this genre, but I love Jane Heller's Yankee book. I wanted to strangle the heroine for most of this book. It was an amusing story overall.
Kristen
Jul 31, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a good bit of fluff. Asa woman who pays support to her ex, I can relate to her bitterness and found her answers to the problem comedic.
Iris
Feb 01, 2010 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
A little poetic justice, that had a little obvious fallouts. But some surprises along the way made up for it. All in all a pretty good book.
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • On the Couch
  • The Games That Changed the Game: The Evolution of the NFL in Seven Sundays
  • The Manolo Matrix (Codebreaker Trilogy #2)
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark
  • Sleeping with Beauty (Glass Slipper, Inc., #3)
  • KaBOOM!: One Entrepreneur's Quest to Build Community & SAVE PLAY!
  • For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
  • The Spy in the Bleachers (The Boxcar Children, #122)
  • Time and Tide: A Walk Through Nantucket
  • Adventures of a Sea Hunter: In Search of Famous Shipwrecks
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • An Accidental Sportswriter
  • Claire Voyant
  • My Fabulous Divorce
  • Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living: Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods
Jane Heller, a New York native who recently moved from Santa Barbara, CA to New Preston, CT, is the author of 13 novels of romantic comedy, including "Name Dropping," "Lucky Stars," and "Best Enemies." Nine of Heller's novels have been optioned for film or television, and all of them have been translated in countries around the world. Her first book of nonfiction, "Confessions of a She-Fan: The Co ...more
More about Jane Heller...

“what makes and ordinary person heroic is when they give up the thing they want most” 2 likes