Start by marking “Awakening the Entrepreneur Within: How Ordinary People Can Create Extraordinary Companies” as Want to Read:

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  24 reviews
“A business without a dream is like a life without a purpose.”
—Michael Gerber

Dream • Vision • Purpose • Mission

These words have been defining the life of Michael Gerber, bestselling author and international small business guru. He created E-Myth Worldwide in 1977 to transform the way that small business owners grow their companies. Now he's created In The Dreaming Room as...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening the Entrepreneur Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening the Entrepreneur Within

Erwin
Gerber wrote an excellent book called The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It. Very insightful. Like a mix between Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values and Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition. The original E-Myth is excellent. It sets a high bar.

Unfortunately, "Awakening the Entrepreneur Within" doesn't add much. Probably would be better off using the same time t...more
James
There were some great nuggets in this book that I really got a lot from.

One was the discussion about the different roles that comprise entrepreneurship. These roles, from the dreamer/visionary who comes up with the ideas, to the implementer who turns them into reality, an entrepreneurial endeavor requires a wide range of skills and ways of thinking. A person may fill one or more of those roles, but it is extremely useful to be able to distinguish which roles are a match for an inspiring entrepre...more
Kat
This was my first Michael Gerber book. After seeing negative reviews about E-Myth revisited and the fact that I didn't really want to own a small business anyway, I grabbed this book because I just wanted to start with Awakening the Entrepreneur within me first. This book was crap. Although I'd never read any of his other books, the whole first half of the book seemed like recycled stories from his other books and a history of his business experience. I kept reading anyway waiting for something...more
Alan
Aug 16, 2010 Alan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those starting a company.
In this book, Michael talks about the various fazes one goes through as a person starting a new business. This starts with an awakening, to a realization, to the negative reaction, to the personal dream, to the impersonal dream, to sudden shock and the dream is born.
I thought the most interesting part was Michael talking about this awakening inside of your brain of wanting to start your business, to the other side of the brain telling you that you can't do it. I think this is a huge obstacle for...more
Richard Podsada
I didn't find it as amazing as his other works. The main messages that stuck for me were (a) make your business about helping others and not just yourself, and (b) do something that nobody has done before and break new ground. I was annoyed by how he talked about the Dreaming Room from the start of the book without ever concisely and clearly explaining what it is (like the reader is supposed to be already familiar with it). You piece it together as you go through the book, but I think he could l...more
Andrea
Jun 04, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, new business owners,
Recommended to Andrea by: Mike Herzog
Shelves: business
This is a good book. It incites the would-be entrepreneur (or the entrepreneur who wants to re-energize his business) to dream big and to analyze the various roles necessary for an entrepreneurial business to be highly successful. Michael Gerber has written many books on business (most notably the E-Myth books), but this one is more focused on his new project, "The Dreaming Room". It's definitely not a step-by-step guide, but it's a must-read for anyone thinking about entrepreneurship. It will f...more
Devin Partlow
It started off good but then in the remaining 60% of the book I wasn't sure if he was teaching me to dream or selling me a dream. I guess this is what happens when you try to milk your cash cow for everything its worth, you claim you've suffered again from this thing you got famous talking about so you can talk about again...

Atif Ali
Michael E Gerber , takes readers on a journey in order to help them realize their dreams and awaken the entrepreneur within them by narrating his own experience .

The books has a passive mood . Users might not feel very excited or motivated with most parts of the book.
However it has some good lessons for entrepreneurs and any one starting or thinking to start a business .

A good read.

Tab
Aug 02, 2008 Tab rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs and would be entrepreneurs
Recommended to Tab by: Saw it at a book store and NEEDED something to read!
Shelves: business
I really enjoyed this book and it brought together ideas with thoughts I have. There was a portion of it that went a little too long into story telling, which kept me from giving it 5 starts. Overall, I believe anyone with an entrepreneur spirit should read this book prior to jumping too far in. If you've already jumped in than it's definitely time to read it!
Scott Dinsmore
Good read. very quick and pretty exciting. Seemed a little fluffy to me but maybe that's because this book focused on how to figure out your business idea and I already have mine (at least for now). Gerber's other book, E-Myth Revisited, was amazingly useful for someone who already has a business. Enjoyed it over all though.
Ben Donahower
I really enjoy Michael E Gerber's books. He talks about business in a way that's inspiring and speaks to the highest ethic of commerce.

I wish, however, that Gerber incorporated the business that he outlined as part of the dreaming room throughout the book instead of concluding with it.
Russell Keppner
I really wanted to like this book, since I LOVED E-myth, but it just seemed that Gerber had nothing new or inspiring to say, but only a bunch of mixed-together, mid-life anecdotes about entrepreneurship. And what the freak is the "Dreaming Room" supposed to be about?
Andreea Elena
Interesting read - a bit too spiritual to my liking, but good enough to make you think that there's an entrepreneur hidden inside of you that is dying to come out, if only you listen to it. Must read for anyone that every thinks about working for themselves.
Dina
Ths book has lots of useful information, but I felt it was too long for the amount of info it contained. The book can be re-written in quarter the size of it and still give me the same value.
Dannes Buenvenida
It is very inspiring. I've read it countless times. Now that I am pursuing my dream I began reading it again. It's more than a self-help/business book! =)
Chris Mcmanaman
Its like he didn't have much to say and kept repeating himself. Not a how to book...more of an experiment in literary hypnosis.
Tirzah
Yes this sounds cheesy... but this is the path that I"m stepping out on... we'll see how the book guides my way
Randy Loveless
Sorry... Gerber's style of writing was far too whimsical for my taste. Very difficult to read.
Travis Smith
Good book about dreaming big for your business and making a lasting contribution to the world.
Lukas Vandyke
Started out good but by the end of chapter two it was over.... Don't recommend reading this.
Verena
Very inspiring. I had to skim a lot of this one for now. But I hope to be back soon!
Owen Greaves
Another great book in a series of books from Michael Gerber & Friends, all good reads.
Matt
This is probably not a bad book but I just couldn't get into it.
Anthony Tenaglier
"Entrepreneurs are made, not born."
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Blake Hampson
Blake Hampson marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Trevor Day
Trevor Day marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • How to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • Your Money and Your Brain: How the New Science of Neuroeconomics Can Help Make You Rich
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
  • The New Asian Hemisphere: The Irresistible Shift of Global Power to the East
  • Asian Godfathers
  • Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience
  • Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits
  • The Second World: Empires and Influence in the New Global Order
  • The Language of Mathematics: Making the Invisible Visible
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It, How to Get It Back
  • The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World
The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It E-Myth Mastery: The Seven Essential Disciplines for Building a World Class Company The E-Myth Revisted/ The E-Myth Mastery The E-Myth Enterprise: How to Turn A Great Idea Into a Thriving Business The E-Myth Manager: Why Most Managers Don't Work and What to Do About It

“The true start-up of a business is what happens before you start-up.” 4 likes