Start by marking “Awakening the Entrepreneur Within: How Ordinary People Can Create Extraordinary Companies” as Want to Read:

“No business author has touched me as deeply as Michael Gerber has.”

—Jack Canfield, co-creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul bestselling book series

The legendary Michael Gerber—founder of E-Myth Worldwide and author of such multi-million copy bestselling classics as The E-Myth Revisited and E-Myth Mastery—shows you how to go from dreaming about having your own business
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening the Entrepreneur Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening the Entrepreneur Within

StoryTellerShannon
This audio book was narrated by Gerber himself. He covers his life choices, doubts and victories in business. He also gives input on to awaken and thrive as an entrepreneur mostly with real life examples.

MY GRADE: B minus to B
Anthony Tenaglier
"Entrepreneurs are made, not born."
Wumi
Feb 23, 2017 Wumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Many gems here. Reading this book made me rethink the value of ideas, the value of dreaming--intentional dreaming the author calls it. Intentional dreaming is hard work but what choice does one have? Then, I'd like to know more about 'systems thinking'.
Michael Tarpinian
If you read this book to completion, you should get a medal or cookie or something. It was a chore. Michael is full of his reviews from past books. He also wrote a book that does not ring true. Even his conversation with his Mom sounded insincere.

I wanted to like this book when I started it. I wanted Michael to teach me something. Instead, he tried to sell me something. Sorry, I'm not buying.

Michael spent a huge chunk of the book on his fictional business concept. It is a dream. Not a goal, bu
Erwin
Aug 16, 2012 Erwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gerber wrote an excellent book called The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It. Very insightful. Like a mix between Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values and Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition. The original E-Myth is excellent. It sets a high bar.

Unfortunately, "Awakening the Entrepreneur Within" doesn't add much. Probably would be better off using the same time t
Rusty Fulling
April-2010 Author the E-myth series, Gerber teaches - "Create sales not marketing." Most business owners are not impressed with slick brochures & advertisting but rather new sales that creates an true impact.
Business development program should include: Marketing, Accounting, & Business Growth

10 Pillars of Successful Businesses are:

1. All businesses require a Vision.
2. All Visions are both personal and impersonal.
3. Every company is an organization.
4. An organization is an organizations o
James
Dec 01, 2009 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some great nuggets in this book that I really got a lot from.

One was the discussion about the different roles that comprise entrepreneurship. These roles, from the dreamer/visionary who comes up with the ideas, to the implementer who turns them into reality, an entrepreneurial endeavor requires a wide range of skills and ways of thinking. A person may fill one or more of those roles, but it is extremely useful to be able to distinguish which roles are a match for an inspiring entrepre
Kat
Feb 19, 2013 Kat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneurship
This was my first Michael Gerber book. After seeing negative reviews about E-Myth revisited and the fact that I didn't really want to own a small business anyway, I grabbed this book because I just wanted to start with Awakening the Entrepreneur within me first. This book was crap. Although I'd never read any of his other books, the whole first half of the book seemed like recycled stories from his other books and a history of his business experience. I kept reading anyway waiting for something ...more
Alan
May 06, 2010 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those starting a company.
In this book, Michael talks about the various fazes one goes through as a person starting a new business. This starts with an awakening, to a realization, to the negative reaction, to the personal dream, to the impersonal dream, to sudden shock and the dream is born.
I thought the most interesting part was Michael talking about this awakening inside of your brain of wanting to start your business, to the other side of the brain telling you that you can't do it. I think this is a huge obstacle for
Richard Podsada
Nov 28, 2009 Richard Podsada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find it as amazing as his other works. The main messages that stuck for me were (a) make your business about helping others and not just yourself, and (b) do something that nobody has done before and break new ground. I was annoyed by how he talked about the Dreaming Room from the start of the book without ever concisely and clearly explaining what it is (like the reader is supposed to be already familiar with it). You piece it together as you go through the book, but I think he could l ...more
Andrea
Jun 04, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, new business owners,
Recommended to Andrea by: Mike Herzog
Shelves: business
This is a good book. It incites the would-be entrepreneur (or the entrepreneur who wants to re-energize his business) to dream big and to analyze the various roles necessary for an entrepreneurial business to be highly successful. Michael Gerber has written many books on business (most notably the E-Myth books), but this one is more focused on his new project, "The Dreaming Room". It's definitely not a step-by-step guide, but it's a must-read for anyone thinking about entrepreneurship. It will f ...more
Monte
Oct 15, 2015 Monte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes timing is everything. I read this book about 10 years ago, and while it was interesting it didn't pack the punch from reading it now. My circumstances have changed: I have more experience. My question is still the same: What are the necessary principles in bringing an excellent startup company into being?

The description of the various players (dreamer, thinker, storyteller, leader) made so much more sense this go around.

The book acknowledges that it does not provide a complete start t
Michele
Jan 19, 2015 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a disappointing follow-up to Gerber's E-Myth books. Unlike his earlier books this one left very little to sink your teeth into. Just a lot of fluff about his "awakening." Each chapter ends with a "Stop and Focus" section where I'd hoped to gain some practical insights...finally. Nope! Instead I got totally useless pep talks, "The System is already there, my friend!" Ugh. We are definitely not friends Gerber. I'm glad I borrowed this book from the library. I would've been upset if I ...more
Devin Partlow
It started off good but then in the remaining 60% of the book I wasn't sure if he was teaching me to dream or selling me a dream. I guess this is what happens when you try to milk your cash cow for everything its worth, you claim you've suffered again from this thing you got famous talking about so you can talk about again...

Scott Dinsmore
Good read. very quick and pretty exciting. Seemed a little fluffy to me but maybe that's because this book focused on how to figure out your business idea and I already have mine (at least for now). Gerber's other book, E-Myth Revisited, was amazingly useful for someone who already has a business. Enjoyed it over all though.
Atif Ali
Michael E Gerber , takes readers on a journey in order to help them realize their dreams and awaken the entrepreneur within them by narrating his own experience .

The books has a passive mood . Users might not feel very excited or motivated with most parts of the book.
However it has some good lessons for entrepreneurs and any one starting or thinking to start a business .

A good read.

Tab
Jul 27, 2008 Tab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs and would be entrepreneurs
Recommended to Tab by: Saw it at a book store and NEEDED something to read!
Shelves: business
I really enjoyed this book and it brought together ideas with thoughts I have. There was a portion of it that went a little too long into story telling, which kept me from giving it 5 starts. Overall, I believe anyone with an entrepreneur spirit should read this book prior to jumping too far in. If you've already jumped in than it's definitely time to read it!
Andreea Visanoiu
Jan 27, 2013 Andreea Visanoiu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read - a bit too spiritual to my liking, but good enough to make you think that there's an entrepreneur hidden inside of you that is dying to come out, if only you listen to it. Must read for anyone that every thinks about working for themselves.
Tim
Feb 03, 2015 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is junk. About halfway through the book, I wondered when the author's assiduous advertising would cease. I then thumbed to the back of the book to look at the author's action steps. They were junk as well. I found almost no value in this book at all.
Russell Keppner
Sep 01, 2009 Russell Keppner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, since I LOVED E-myth, but it just seemed that Gerber had nothing new or inspiring to say, but only a bunch of mixed-together, mid-life anecdotes about entrepreneurship. And what the freak is the "Dreaming Room" supposed to be about?
Ben Donahower
Apr 12, 2012 Ben Donahower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Michael E Gerber's books. He talks about business in a way that's inspiring and speaks to the highest ethic of commerce.

I wish, however, that Gerber incorporated the business that he outlined as part of the dreaming room throughout the book instead of concluding with it.
Dina
Feb 16, 2014 Dina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ths book has lots of useful information, but I felt it was too long for the amount of info it contained. The book can be re-written in quarter the size of it and still give me the same value.
Chris Mcmanaman
Its like he didn't have much to say and kept repeating himself. Not a how to book...more of an experiment in literary hypnosis.
Owen Greaves
Mar 05, 2011 Owen Greaves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in a series of books from Michael Gerber & Friends, all good reads.
Randy Loveless
Feb 28, 2009 Randy Loveless rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry... Gerber's style of writing was far too whimsical for my taste. Very difficult to read.
Marianne Mullen
May 09, 2016 Marianne Mullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great book for inspiration of ideas, business planning and dreaming.
Tirzah
Apr 28, 2008 Tirzah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes this sounds cheesy... but this is the path that I"m stepping out on... we'll see how the book guides my way
Dannes Buenvenida
Dec 09, 2012 Dannes Buenvenida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is very inspiring. I've read it countless times. Now that I am pursuing my dream I began reading it again. It's more than a self-help/business book! =)
Verena
May 11, 2009 Verena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring. I had to skim a lot of this one for now. But I hope to be back soon!
Matt
Aug 02, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, for-later
This is probably not a bad book but I just couldn't get into it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Succeed and Grow Rich through Persuasion
  • Gonzo Marketing: Winning Through Worst Practices
  • Earn What You're Really Worth: Maximize Your Income at Any Time in Any Market
  • How to Find the Work You Love
  • The Life of A.W. Tozer: In Pursuit of God
  • How to Make Someone Love You Forever in 90 Minutes or Less
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • When Food Is Food & Love Is Love: A Step-By-Step Spiritual Program to Break Free from Emotional Eating
  • NLP Workbook: A practical guide to achieving the results you want
  • The Resiliency Advantage: Master Change, Thrive Under Pressure, and Bounce Back from Setbacks
  • Corporate Lifecycles: How and Why Corporations Grow and Die and What to Do about it
  • Process Consultation Revisited: Building the Helping Relationship (Prentice Hall Organizational Development Series)
  • How Excellent Companies Avoid Dumb Things: Breaking the 8 Hidden Barriers that Plague Even the Best Businesses
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • Win Your Case: How to Present, Persuade, and Prevail--Every Place, Every Time
  • The Cube: Keep the Secret
  • Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming
  • How to Get What You Want

“The true start-up of a business is what happens before you start-up.” 6 likes
“I believe there are two ways to look at a blank sheet of paper. The first way is that the blank sheet is the most frightening thing in the world because you have to put down the first mark and figure out what to do with it. The other way is to look at it and say, “Wow, I’ve got another blank piece of paper. This is the greatest opportunity in the world because I can now let my imagination fly in any direction and I can create whole new things.” I have spent a good part of my life convincing people that the blank sheet is the greatest opportunity in the world and is not frightening at all. —Marty Sklar, Executive Vice President/Imagineering Ambassador, Walt Disney Imagineering” 0 likes