Start by marking “Shrapnel in the Heart: Letters and Remembrances from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial” as Want to Read:

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For the first time, one book gives voice to the haunting, painful, tender, and healing tales of those who lost so much in America's least popular war.
Published November 5th 1988 by Vintage (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Shrapnel in the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrapnel in the Heart

Ngoc
Shrapnel in the Heart: Letters and Remembrances from the Vietnam Veterans Memorial by: Laura Palmer is an inspiring memoir. This book is unique due to the powerful letters that appear from way back around the heat of the 60’s. The draft came around and took many precious lives away from mothers, daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, fathers, wives, girlfriends and gave them nothing but a memorable story to tell about their loved ones. In this memoir they share with you everlasting moments they hav ...more
Catherine Cosper
I was not a big reader in my youth. My father had built me a playhouse and rope swing in our back yard, so I spent all of my time out in it, regardless of the weather, making it my own and sharing it with the other kids on the block. I was a young adult when I read a review of this book, quite by accident. At the time, bookstores were not the mega shops they became just before the launch of e-readers and locating a copy was difficult because it was no longer a new hardcover release.

I suppose the
Sonya Carter
Even if you don't affiliate yourself as patriotic, this book is definitely a tearjerker. The letters and remembrances left at the Vietnam Veterans Memorials offers a profound insight to the thoughts and feelings of siblings, parents, lovers, friends, and children of the deceased soldiers. Vietnam Veteran's condolences left to their comrades reflect aspects of the Vietnam war that I found both informative and heartrendingly painful to read. You can truly feel the sorrow and consequences the Vietn ...more
B
959.704 When you need to be reminded that your life is fine, read these heart breaking letters from the soldiers and the families of the Vietnamese Conflict. Many of the things the author collected right from the Vietnam Wall. In some cases she contacted the families. I remember I pretty much cried the whole time I read this. I appreciated my family more after.
P
Some great heartwarming stories about young men I could relate to. Others were just awful--peppered with profanity and graphic descriptions of violence. The day after I finished, I went to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in D.C. to touch some of their names and make my study of the war more personal and less academic. It worked.
Shelley23
Jan 30, 2008 Shelley23 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military Wives, Military daughters
Shelves: my-favorites
Absolutely the most bittersweet book I have ever read. It's a wonderful collection of personal stories and letters from Vietnam Vets. It's a good read, but not for any one that lets emotions get them down, because it pulls at the heartstrings in a major way.
Janiej78
I have never been to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. but I have been to the one in Sacramento,CA and was extremely moved. This book tells stories from a different side, the persons and their families. Very well done and one you never forget.
Allison
Moving and beautifully broken up into poetry, first hand accounts and family stories. A real tear jerker that will have you googling the soldiers to find out more.
Nadir
Prepare to have your heart broken. Anyone even remotely suggesting a nation should go to war should first read this book and deeply consider the cost.
Heather
one word = touching! i had to read this for a class on the vietnam war & it full of stories & letters from people who lost loves in the war
Talia
Dec 29, 2012 Talia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Americans, or anyone affected by the Vietnam War
Shelves: finished
This one's gonna take me a while. Not because it's long or boring, but because it's so meaningful and heart-jerking.
Brenda
Wow... what a read. This puts a face to names on the Vietnam Wall. Awesome read for anyone!
Danesa
If you like to learn about the soldiers who faught in Vietnam this is a good book to read.
Diane
This is an incredible book, but beware, bring a box of Kleenex, it is a tear jerker.
Sheila
Heartbreaking and emotional. Be warned, this is a book which will make you cry.
Michelle L
Total tear jerker the whole way through. Especially since I have brothers in the army.
Christine Breneman-harto
I love this book. It makes you cry and realize what sacrifices people made.
Jacqueline
One of my favorite books...very sad
Cheyenne
Bjm Index
Jul 12, 2012 Bjm Index added it
Shelves: priority
Nick Carpenter
Nick Carpenter marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Jana
Jana added it
Oct 11, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014