Start by marking “Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World” as Want to Read:
Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World

Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Where has all the good food gone? This is the question at the heart of Gina Mallet's provocative and evocative account of the fate of food. Over the course of the last 50 years, we have gone from loving food to fearing it. We have become frightened by food science and spooked by medical doctors, and so old familiar foods and recipes - the threads of community - are being l ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Mainstream Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance to Eat

Marc Lucke
The best parts of this book were the mouth-watering recipes interspersed between the prose, and I've happily added several to my repertoire.

That having been said, I couldn't bring myself to read the entire thing: about two-thirds of the way through, I tossed the book aside. Mallet's pretension, crotchetiness and misty-eyed sentimentalism combined to turn me off whatever vague thesis she was chasing through her meandering memories and whimpered protests against modernity.

I'm no cheerleader for in
Rachel Terry
I'm not sure how to categorize this book. It's part memoir, part investigative journalism, part nostalgia, with a handful of recipes, sprinkled here and there like party favors. Mallet divides the book into five sections: eggs, cheese, beef, kitchen gardens, and fish. I liked the egg section best and the beef section least. The focus of this book is taste--not health, economics, or environmentalism--and I found the focus refreshing. There's no guilt involved when you're only concerned about what ...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Delicious and somewhat frightening history of food and eating - from British wartime shortages to contemporary American supermarkets and artisan dining. Mallet holds that food and eating are central to civilization and exposes some of the myths that have made the community of food so impersonal, and in some cases dangerous. Particularly appreciate EGGS and CHICKENS! history, recipes, health fears and facts. Similar in content but not tone to Fast Food Nation and Super Size Me.

--Ashland Mystery

Sharen
Gina Mallet combines personal vignettes of family life in England during WWII (including recipes) with research about the ways in which government, science and business have DISTANCED us from the choices we make about the food we eat. You don't realize how great that distance is until you have read how eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruits and fish have been "manipulated" in various ways at different times. It is interesting how she combines the history of food and chefs with information that w ...more
Jason Mcconnell
I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed how the author remeniced about the foods of her youth, her growing up in post war London and her tomatoes in Canada. I liked how for each character (food) she presented personal experiences and emotions surrounding her feelings toward these foods. I remeber the part about the date at the steakhouse and the perfect omlette in France. As a matter of fact I have perfected my perfect, SIMPLE omlette as per her recommendations. I however DO NOT get the cover image chos ...more
Dale
It took me several attempts to get through this book. I persevered because it was so hyped. I should have trusted my instincts. I would be interested to understand what the author was trying to accomplish. Yes, food has changed, been industrialized... sometimes the details were too deep, and others not deep enough. I couldn't follow if Gina Mallet is a fan of GM or not - some of the book seemed muddled, and some of it not that interesting, and not one recipe that I thought mmm. Maybe it's a cult ...more
Felicity
It's a little unfair to say that I read this book. But I did try. But I couldn't make it any further than about forty pages into the book. Mallet writes one hundred pages on the history of the egg!! If the first forty are any indication, I don't expect the next sixty to be any more interesting. I mean, just how do you make the history of the egg exciting? I don't deny it isn't possible, but Mallet is clearly not the author to do it (with apologies to those who enjoyed this book).

Life is just too
Krisette Spangler
Gina Mallet's book follows five popular foods from the Second World War to our present day. She laments the loss of taste that has occurred through mass production, and the American desire to have it fast rather than good. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. I found it rather fascinating, and it made me very hungry for the good food I ate while I was in Europe. Thanks for the recommendation, Rachel.

JH
Overall a very good representation of the fact that most Americans and Europeans are content to let the old and traditional dishes and ingredients go by the way side in preference to cheaper and faster food. The arguments are the same as Jeffrey Steingarten made in It must have been something I ate, unfortunately the author has nothing more to say than the fact that things are slipping away.
Ariadream
Jun 02, 2007 Ariadream rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: foodbooks
This book is an interesting departure from most books about food. It reads almost like a story, with tales of the author's own childhood experiences and contrasting them to how things are now. And she makes interesting points. All in all, it was a very good read and I would recommend it.
Janet
Sep 03, 2008 Janet rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janet by: Raina
Very compelling and thought-provoking. The first section of the book was about the humble chicken egg and its gastronomic origins. I enjoyed this book - there's a healthy smattering of history along with the author's food-related observations and experiences.
LizG
Fascinating, delightful, and easy to read history of the transition of food from an adventure to savour and share to a barely nutritious, functional fuel. Makes you wonder, "Did eggs used to have a taste?" and "What does real cheese taste like?"
Marilee
Jun 29, 2008 Marilee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy Tebeau
Recommended to Marilee by: Nina Planck
Interesting and informative memoir shaped around the author's childhood memories of food. She argues that industrial food, for the most part, is devoid of taste and often not healthier than traditional foods, just more stable.
Christine Cato
This book was interesting for a while, a little bit of a different spin as the author grew up in London. But after a while it became tedious, and it was due back to the library, so I let it go.
ZFC
Francocentric, but very informative.

See our review in Episode 18 -
Hazel
Jul 05, 2007 Hazel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in good tasting food
Shelves: food
An interesting read about how the quality and taste of food has changed in our modern society. She includes some timeless recipes.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Sometimes interesting, sometimes rambling. Facts, opinion and memoir all rolled into one.
Msmod Hautly
Some great examples to underscore the industrialization of our food and the fallout.
G--
An aristocrat's take on how all of the taste was stolen from our food.
Niki
Lots of entertaining anecdotes & interesting histories.
Denise
Not a cookbook per se, a book on food
Meredith Stranges
Very entertaining and informative book.
Bambi
Bambi marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Patrick Dunlop
Patrick Dunlop marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jannell
Jannell is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2014
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Bittersweet: The Story of Sugar
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • The Bloodless Revolution: A Cultural History of Vegetarianism from 1600 to Modern Times
  • Take Big Bites: Adventures Around the World and Across the Table
  • Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and updated throughout, with more than 30 new recipes.
Last Chance to Eat