Beyond Bizarre: Frightening Facts and Blood-Curdling True Tales

Beyond Bizarre: Frightening Facts and Blood-Curdling True Tales

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The sequel to the best-selling "The Book of the Bizarre, Beyond Bizarre" offers up scores of new freaky facts, terrifying trivia, and stranger-than-fiction stories. Arranged into 13 chilling chapters like Haunted Hollywood, Blood Red Crosses and Gross Anatomy: Hospital Horrors, Bride of Bizarre, and Tales from the Cryptids, "Beyond Bizarre" tackles everything from female p...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Weiser Books

Erica Ravenclaw
I love books like this, interesting little packets of odd knowledge and back stories that help you commit it to memory. Except this is not one of those books. There is a lot of "it's been said over the ages" or "theory suggests" and just a general lack of research. It's also not written well and I caught one too many mistakes to ignore.

photo kim-kardashian-bored_zps374271a3.gif

Oh, and the author or whomever it was that was "speaking" to me, you are completely and utterly useless, GTFO of this book, I'm here to learn not listen to yo...more
Becca
I love facts. I love learning them, I love reading them to people, I love just having them available. But it's pretty crappy when the facts are totally overshadowed by poor grammar, nonsensical sentences and poor research.
This book needs an editor. And if it had an editor, it needs a better editor.
L-Isabella
Not one to shy away from books about the macabre and weird, I grabbed this one with high hopes of adding to my mental library of strange and unusual. I got lucky.

Within the 13 chapters here, the covered items are ships & wrecks, creepy museums, people behaving badly, Hollywood stories, plants & insects and not to be left out, even ghost encounters.

This is a relatively small book that packs a huge punch of random facts and things that have creeped into our minds due to urban legends and e...more
Jo
A collection of facts on various subjects from true crime and killers to odd creatures. Some of the facts were more interesting than others and several of the pieces I already knew. Still, it made for a 'light' read at Christmas.
Alison
Entertaining, but I didn't like that the book was told from the point of view of the editor, so that all the facts were reported with the editor's witticisms and cheesy lines. Really cool facts in here though.
Kristopher
Got this for Christmas, and it's been my bathroom reading for awhile now. Some interesting tidbits, but unfortunately, there's never more than a paragraph or two on any subject.
Nurshafiqa
entertaining and perfect for those times when i need a quick read.

PS: someone need to proof-read this book. seriously. malaysia is NOT spelled "mylasia".
Allie
Fun little book, wish there were actual pictures of the weird but real animals/bugs/things she describes so I don't have to google them my lazy self.
Twi
intriguing a lot of fun facts and some links to interesting websites.
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
John
John added it
Mar 07, 2014
CateyLeo
CateyLeo marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Lucia Talledo
Lucia Talledo marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
J. Kiakas
J. Kiakas marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Pocki
Pocki added it
Dec 28, 2013
Sam
Sam added it
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Author of THE BOOK OF THE BIZARRE and BEYOND BIZARRE (Weiser Books). Curator of the MAGICAL CREATURES and PARANORMAL PARLOR e-book collections.
More about Varla Ventura...
Book of the bizarre Sheroes: Bold, Brash, And Absolutely Unabashed Superwomen From Susan B. Anthony To Xena Banshees, Werewolves, Vampires, and Other Creatures of the Night: Facts, Fictions, and First-Hand Accounts Among The Mermaids: Facts, Myths, and Enchantments from the Sirens of the Sea Wild Women Talk about Love