Start by marking “Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak” as Want to Read:
Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak

Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak (Six-Word Memoirs)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  609 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Love wounds the heart and soul . . .

From the editors of the New York Times bestseller Not Quite What I Was Planning comes another collection of terse true tales—this time simple sagas exploring the complexities of the human heart. Six-Word Memoirs on Love & Heartbreak contains hundreds of personal stories about the pinnacles and pitfalls of romance. Brilliant in their
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six-Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak

Jackie
It took me maybe 30-40 minutes to read through this book, giggling a bit, wincing a bit, stopping for a brief moment to ponder the story behind the simple 6 words each author offered. The emotion--love, joy, pain, betrayal, boredom, frustration, confusion, devotion, and more--that can be conveyed in 6 words is astounding. I am in awe. This is a fascinating project of Smith Magazine's that I hope lives long--it's too interesting to give up on.

I, of course, had to come up with my own (though it se
Taghrid
A quick read. My favorite ones:

"My life's accomplishments? Sanity, and you." - Elizabeth Gilbert
"Love plus laughter: happily ever after." - Dan Goggin
"Went for milk, never came back." - Lindsay Freda
"He sees the me I
Mary (BookHounds)
Jul 27, 2009 Mary (BookHounds) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I may have to come back and add my six word memoir to the reveiw. I can't think of one now. (oooohhhh, there I did it!) I am so addicted to this series of books. They are just fun and quick reading.
Susan Rose
Mar 29, 2014 Susan Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an anthology collection of six word memoirs that focus on the topic of sex, love and relationships.
This is obviously a very quick but contemplative read and because it can be picked up and put down a lot it would be great to read on the commute. I found it amazing how each story evoked so much given the economy of language the writers were given to work with. Although this only took me minutes to read I feel like I am going to be re-reading this book often.

I feel like the best way to r
Katherine San Juan
Six-word Memoirs: "Not always perfect. But so worthwhile."
Maddie
Apr 08, 2014 Maddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plain-good
This is a collection of six word memoirs about couples, love and relationships. Most are witty, funny, and poignant that set me to laugh, to scorn, to frown and to even smile a bit. I find this book to be interesting because I never really thought that six words can cause enough emotions and provocative thoughts. The power of words are indeed powerful regardless of its numbers. I adore it. Overall, this a good short novel that is perfect for a relaxing Sunday morning.

Some of my favorite six wor
Laurie
Feb 25, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great concept- the simplicity and power of our language and, in particular, the written word. It can lead to so many thoughts and emotions. I appreciated the explanation at the beginning about the start of the six-word memoir concept and found some of the memoirs (on love and heartbreak) to be truly profound, amusing, or intriguing. There is almost no way to read through this short book and not find at least one you can relate to! I am interested in reading the original collection ...more
Anna
It's so interesting to read random people's six-word thoughts on love. Some of the quotes cracked me up while others made me kind of sad. This one is a much faster read than the original Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs but it's still very enjoyable.
Elena
Mar 07, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love these short vignettes on love, heartbreak, and other assorted subjects
Nikki
Dec 03, 2010 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I find books like this interesting, in the sense that I'd prefer to pick them up at random and flick through them now and again. I like brevity in things I'm reading: it gives my imagination more to do. So in that sense, very interesting.

Some of these are heartbreaking, some make me smile, and some are just infuriating.
Athena
Jul 09, 2009 Athena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"If I get Chlamydia, blame Myspace"
"He posted our sex tape online"
"Unrequited love is just another addiction"
"Boyfriend? In the nightstand with batteries"
"It's worth it, despite your mother"
"Unfortunately, eight inches was not enough"
"eHarmony reject, Match.com failure, unloveable me"
Rada
Feb 06, 2012 Rada rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
I downloaded this book on my Kindle. It had been on my list; and since it was only 99 cents, I bought it.

I read it at lunch. It is amazing to me so much can be conveyed in a persons life in only six words. Makes me wonder what six words I would choose for myself. It was a good fast read.
Rebecca
Not as good as the original, but still a good collection. Favorites:

Not always perfect. But so worthwhile.
Love. Loss. Love lost. Stories gained.
Love, unreturned is still worth feeling.
Wonder-filled, and never a dull torment. (Diane Ackerman)
Someone should've objected at my wedding.
Robin
Picked this up at my library while I was shelving and brought it home so I wouldn't be reading it at my desk. The concept is to use only six words to sum up how one feels about life or in this case, love and heartbreak. It felt very voyeuristic but these short statements are very revealing.
Lucy Ibn al-Rashid

It's amazing how much you can learn from one's story by simply reading six words. This just proves that you don't need a lot of words to say what is truly important.

I fully recommend this book to everyone, if nothing else, so that the reader realizes that.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with some of my favourite six word memoirs:

Waiting to forget your name again. - Cybele Paschke

Offered my heart; he embraced it. - Sue Kimber

Sleeping, our hearts touch. Fates mingle. - Sandhya Nankani

I loved
Tiny Mendoza
Jan 25, 2015 Tiny Mendoza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's been a while, Goodreads! Goooooosh. It feels like going home after being away for so long. I seriously missed you and the Goodreads community! *inhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale* *exhale*
Well, I will actually be reviewing a lot books today, most of them I read waaaaay back in January 2014 right after I stopped using Goodreads, and some of the books that I just read this year for my 2015 book challenge.
One of the books that I've read last March 2014 was this book. I loved it. I love the quotes written h
Stephanie
Aug 13, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pithy, poignant, sad and sometimes funny.
Evan
Jul 31, 2009 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six words aren't enough to review.
randy
Mar 15, 2009 randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I got an email saying that my six word memoir on love was going to be in this book. I was surprised, but it made me swell up inside a bit.

They sent me the book and a few odds and ends -- stickers, coasters, etc...

It is a slight irreverent book. But the simplicity of the concept and the selected "memoirs" raises it above where it might have ended up. It reads in about 20 minutes. So it did not take me long to peruse for my entry.

Only, I could not find it.

So I went through it again, only readin
Todd Stockslager
Jun 05, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-culture
Amazon apparently doesn't allow 6-word reviews.

Their guidance: "between 75 and 300."

Such verbosity for such pithy memoirs.

Memoirs? These are more like epitaphs.

Writers famous (and not so) contributed.

The rhythm builds quote to quote.

The unsaid resonates, off the page.

So, if Amazon accepts, my review:

Share with lover; discuss. I'm verklempt.
Pierced Librarian
May 31, 2014 Pierced Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six- word memoirs regarding Love & heartbreak is a quick read.

Waiting to forget your name again.

I'm not marrying for love twice.

My life's accomplishments?
Sanity and you.

I thought we had more time.

I loved the idea of you.

The brevity makes me wild with wanting to know more.
Rachel
Mar 28, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely found some gems in this book!

Some of my favorites:

"Not always perfect. But so worthwhile."
"Unrequited love is just another addiction."
"Hearts never look both ways first."

Only took me about 20 minutes to read but was very enjoyable!
Meghan
Jun 04, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an incredible collection of inspiration. This fed my own writing deeply, at the source, in a way that was sustainable and moving. There are six words in here that will speak to you, and to someone you love, because this really is a book BY everyone FOR everyone. And what a challenge to write your own six word memoir!

Recommended to: readers and writers who love constraints or oulipo, people who need a fast read that leaves behind lingering thoughts, teens who think memoirs must be dull,
Salsabrarian
Can one say it all in just six words? It's possible. Some of the most intriguing in this themed collection: Concern with freedom became his bondage. I put the seat down now. Love: eight pounds and six ounces.
Jennifer Adams
Mar 09, 2015 Jennifer Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, interesting to think about what the deeper meaning in some of the memoirs could be. Funny, poignant, sometimes "oh, ouch". I have done this exercises with my classes before and had great results.
Katie
Dec 23, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love. Loss. Love lost. Stories gained.
Love how: 6 words can tell a complete story.
Bella
Jan 03, 2016 Bella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just needed a quick read... Nothing special. Give me old literature anyday.
Courtney
Jul 21, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun and creative book! Very cute.
Katharine Thomas
Interesting...
Malika
Jun 24, 2014 Malika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book finished: overall rates 3 stars.
  • I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure
  • Dear Old Love: Anonymous Notes to Former Crushes, Sweethearts, Husbands, Wives, &  Ones That Got Away
  • Hint Fiction: An Anthology of Stories in 25 Words or Fewer
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Book of the bizarre
  • PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aquí hasta allá
  • Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women
Our book features nearly 1,000 six-word memoirs by famous folks, as well as unknown writers from SMITH Mag's storytelling community.

More than 200,000 people have submitted Six-Word Memoirs at SMITH Magazine (smithmag.net) and its younger cousin, SMITH Teens (smithteens.com). Thanks to the devoted admiration of writers, critics

and educators alike, the six-word memoir concept has spread to classroom

More about Larry Smith...

Six-Word Memoirs (8 books)
  • Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure
  • I Can't Keep My Own Secrets: Six-Word Memoirs by Teens Famous & Obscure
  • It All Changed in an Instant: More Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure
  • One life. 6 words, what's yours? : six-word memoirs from Smith magazine
  • Oy! Only Six? Why Not More? Six-Word Memoirs on Jewish Life
  • Things Don't Have To Be Complicated: Illustrated Six-Word Memoirs by Students Making Sense of the World (TED Books)
  • Six Words About Work