Start by marking “Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont, #13)” as Want to Read:
Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont, #13)
Preview

Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont #13)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,782 ratings  ·  66 reviews
An explosive novel of betrayal and blood vengeance from the New York Times bestselling author of Long Time Gone.

There are those who don't deserve to live -- and the corpse floating in Elliot Bay may have been one of those people. Not surprisingly, many individuals -- too many, in fact -- are eager to take responsibility for the brutal slaying of the hated biotech executiv
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Name Withheld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Name Withheld

Lynette Barfield
Another Jance book in Beaumont series. I am a fan. Great series and I still have more to go.
Ed
#13 in the J.P. Beaumont series. Beaumont is a homicide detective in Seattle, WA. Beau is wealthy due to an inheritance from a short-lived marriage to Anne Corley, Until Proven Guilty (1985).

J.P. Beaumont reluctantly seeks the murderer of a violent rapist in this 1996 entry. He suspects the victim although her great-aunt confesses. He is assigned to work with detective Kramer with whom he has a mutual antagonism. The ex-wife of ex-partner Ron Peters again seeks custody of her daughters. Social w
Eric_W
Beaumont is a Seattle detective working on the homicide squad, and in this novel he is faced with a bizarre set of circumstances. A man has ostensibly been killed by being hacked to death with a woman’s high-heeled shoe. This particular woman is also seen leaving the scene of other crimes, and Beaumont soon realizes it must be Jazmyn Day, an excellent singer trying to mak a comeback after recovering from a drug addiction. He’s also mildly in love with her. It soon becomes more complicated as an ...more
Kara Jorges
While I’m a big Joanna Brady fan, I haven’t quite been able to feel the same way about her other favorite protagonist, JP Beaumont. Beau, though a likeable guy, just doesn’t ring true as a man, like he doesn’t quite fit in his skin. His reactions to things seem too passive to be male, or maybe it’s the way he sees women. JP Beaumont has a lot of fans, though, so obviously not everyone agrees with me on that.

Beau, an independently wealthy, high-rise-dwelling, Porsche-driving Seattle homicide cop,
xJane
Jul 15, 2008 xJane rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves mysteries
Recommended to xJane by: Mom
Doug Branscombe
An easy fun read. Going back quite a ways in this series, a body is found floating in the water on New Year's Day. Eventually it is traced back to be an executive at a new Bioengineering Company. As JP Beaumont investigates he uncovers some unusual and wide ranging connections, while dealing with an assortment of other mini-crises that come up. Fast paced, lot of action.
Linda
Quick and easy police procedural mystery. This book is dated; there is quite a bit of uneasy tittering about a transgender character, that intolerance being superfluous to the plot.

Still, Beau is an appealing a very human character, and I still enjoyed this 13th in the series.
Michelle Palmer
I truly enjoy the JA Jance books of JP Beaumont series.
This was a great story of people falling off the wagon, getting back on and coming to terms with their past failures. Really enjoyed it.
Megan
Jance's did a good job with character development this time. I enjoyed this one, though I had to suspend a little too much disbelief at the ending. The audio needs some work with production value.
Pr Latta
Solid J. P. Beaumont with (for those who enjoy the character-driven aspect) series events: J. P.'s ex-wife Karen's cancer gets worse, J. P. falls off the wagon, and Ron gets back in the saddle. J.P. is on his own (Sue has chicken pox!) to figure out who killed a sleezy employee of a high flying genetics company (Designer Genes Inc.). Until Kramer and Arnold get assigned as well. J. P. does not play well with others and, of course, pulls it off at the end. Jance's technology details are getting t ...more
Kay
Good solid Beau--with the heartstrings pulled by emotional life passages--and Beaumont's falling off the wagon. The whole genetic engineering world fascinating, too, but the personal stories really carried this one.
Donna Mcnab
When the body of a man is found floating by a pier, Beaumont is put on the case without a partner because his current partner, Sue Danielsen, is away sick with chickenpox, and the department is in short supply of detectives. This suits Beau to a tee, but the discovery of another body which would seem to be connected, soon puts Beau working with his least favourite person, Detective Paul Kramer. Meanwhile, Beau's ex, Karen, is fighting the last stages of cancer, and Beau is strongly affected by t ...more
April
A really good book. Kept my interest from start to finish, I read it very quickly.
Pat
Jeanne
A corpse is found floating in Elliot Bay, and J. P. Beaumont is assigned to the case. A couple more killings take place and they're all connected. While Beau deals with his own problems, he tries to track down the killer. As the victim was one of those who don't deserve to live. One might say justifable homicide. Many people would be eager to take responsibilty for his slaying. He was a executive whose alleged crimes ranged from illegal trading of industrial secrets to rape. A good story of bet ...more
Kay
Still enjoying the series. Very sad with his ex-wife but still looking forward to next book. See what Beau gets into.
Lesly
Joan
The three-star rating is giving this one a little leeway. Name Withheld is an older J.P. Beaumont mystery by J.A. Jance. I found this book less well-plotted than Jance's usual style. The suspect pool was very broad as Beau looked for the killer - everybody hated the victim; so, after all the leads were explored, the book was long and needed to end. This made the ending seem abrupt and unsatisfying. Having to cover so many suspects kept the author from developing any of them into likeable/believa ...more
Nadine
Every time I read one of Jance's JP Beaumont books, I think that is my favorite. This was no exception. Beaumont is his usual no-nonsense self. He has to leave the children of his friend, Ron Peters, alone,when he is called out to a crime scene. Mistake #1. The person whose body was discovered in the water at the pier turns out to be a jerk. Then he receives a call from Dave, the husband of his ex-wife, Karen. When it rains it pours! as usual, it took me clear to the end of the book to see whodu ...more
Versel Rush
Read the audiobook.

Book is a 4, reader is a 2 (at best).

Plot tried to be difficult, it wasn't. But the writing was good and the characters fun.

The reader's "voice" for all the women had no nuance--it was just clippy and sharp. Hated it.
Marti
i have read several j.p. beaumont mysteries and enjoyed them, so i was glad to have the chance to encounter him again. my sister lives in bellevue, which is one of the settings for this novel, primarily set in seattle. it gets involved, with lots of suspects and policemen working on the case. besides the case, there are two other matters to concern beau. it is a little thicker than some paperbacks, and quite enjoyable.
Kathy Albright
Continue to enjoy this series!
Lisa
Another entertaining Jance. I've never gone wrong by picking up a Jance when I'm looking for some fun diversion. Beau is dealing with a bunch of tough issues in this book - the inevitable death of his first wife and the return of Ron Peters' crazy ex-wife. A complicated mystery with lots of twists. The ending was a bit much, though. Jance likes the dramatic finish, but this one was almost ridiculous.
Fredrick Danysh
A New Year's floater is found in Seattle and Homicide detective J.P. Beaumont is assigned to work the case alone. As bodies accumulate, he gets paired with Detective Krammer, his worst enemy in the department. Beaumont also becomes the subject of a Child Protective Services investigation over his relationship of his former partner's children during a child custody fight.
Betty410
In this series with J.P. up in Seattle, the master detective has to solve the murder of a biotech corporation executive who seems to have come from nowhere. The suspects are multiple and the conflicts within the police department complicate matters. An interesting twist is the involvement of a dowager society personality who gives Beau a few second thoughts.
Cherry-Ann
This was my first J A Jance. What a fascinating ride. The ending blew me away. The twists and turns were unexpected and while I wouldn't classify it as a page turner, it had a mellowness that kept you interested to want to know all the pieces of the puzzle. Would definitely read her again. Liked Detective JB - he had a heart. A good read.
Kate
I live near Seattle, so I love reading the J.P. Beaumont mysteries, and getting the local flavor. I love the comments detailing a bit of life in Seattle, as well as the pithy comments on life by the detective, a divorced man. I wouldn't call this the best writing in the world, but the story is one that's keeping me spellbound.
Bonnie
J. A. Jance is one of my favorite mystery writers for a number of reasons: her plots are skillful and full of twists, they don't have explicit sex and foul language, and her characters are realistic and believable. The reader of the Beaumont series does a very good job.
Beaumont Series 1 16 Jul 22, 2008 05:16PM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Hard Truth (Anna Pigeon, #13)
  • Dead Midnight
  • Deadly Justice (Ben Kencaid, #3)
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • The Fallen Man (Navajo Mysteries, #12)
  • Fulfillment (Harlequin Temptation, #218)
  • The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)