Start by marking “Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont, #13)” as Want to Read:
Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont, #13)

Name Withheld (J.P. Beaumont #13)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,171 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
An explosive novel of betrayal and blood vengeance from the New York Times bestselling author of Long Time Gone.

There are those who don't deserve to live -- and the corpse floating in Elliot Bay may have been one of those people. Not surprisingly, many individuals -- too many, in fact -- are eager to take responsibility for the brutal slaying of the hated biotech executiv
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Name Withheld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Name Withheld

Lynette Barfield
Another Jance book in Beaumont series. I am a fan. Great series and I still have more to go.
Donna Mcnab
Apr 23, 2013 Donna Mcnab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the body of a man is found floating by a pier, Beaumont is put on the case without a partner because his current partner, Sue Danielsen, is away sick with chickenpox, and the department is in short supply of detectives. This suits Beau to a tee, but the discovery of another body which would seem to be connected, soon puts Beau working with his least favourite person, Detective Paul Kramer. Meanwhile, Beau's ex, Karen, is fighting the last stages of cancer, and Beau is strongly affected by t ...more
Nadine
Oct 16, 2012 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read one of Jance's JP Beaumont books, I think that is my favorite. This was no exception. Beaumont is his usual no-nonsense self. He has to leave the children of his friend, Ron Peters, alone,when he is called out to a crime scene. Mistake #1. The person whose body was discovered in the water at the pier turns out to be a jerk. Then he receives a call from Dave, the husband of his ex-wife, Karen. When it rains it pours! as usual, it took me clear to the end of the book to see whodu ...more
Carol
Apr 30, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jance once again did a wonderful job of writing. I really like J.D. Beaumont, and she did not disappoint. Beaumont is a Seattle detective working on the homicide squad, and in this novel he is faced with a bizarre set of circumstances. A man has ostensibly been killed by being hacked to death with a woman’s high-heeled shoe. This particular woman is also seen leaving the scene of other crimes, and Beaumont soon realizes it must be Jazmyn Day, an excellent singer trying to make a comeback after r ...more
Megargee
No.13 in the Beaumont series is full of bad luck and stress for recovering alcoholic Seattle detective J. P. Beaumont. His ex-wife Karen is dying from cancer, he is being investigated as a possible pedophile by Child Protective Services, and he is teamed with his nemesis, Detective Kramer, who not only does not share information but is spreading a rumor that Beau is queer. In addition, the murders he is investigating keep multiplying. No wonder he yearns for a MacNaughton's.
This rather convol
Cherry-Ann
Dec 10, 2013 Cherry-Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first J A Jance. What a fascinating ride. The ending blew me away. The twists and turns were unexpected and while I wouldn't classify it as a page turner, it had a mellowness that kept you interested to want to know all the pieces of the puzzle. Would definitely read her again. Liked Detective JB - he had a heart. A good read.
Kay
Mar 02, 2014 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid Beau--with the heartstrings pulled by emotional life passages--and Beaumont's falling off the wagon. The whole genetic engineering world fascinating, too, but the personal stories really carried this one.
Liz
Aug 13, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series-book
Another solid entry into the Beaumont series though I still prefer her Sheriff Brady series but there are just more written about Beaumont and I do like her writing style and characters.
Mary  Kennedy
Have read most of Jance's Seattle detective books; have read all of her Brady books. Good reads all
Ed
Mar 28, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#13 in the J.P. Beaumont series. Beaumont is a homicide detective in Seattle, WA. Beau is wealthy due to an inheritance from a short-lived marriage to Anne Corley, Until Proven Guilty (1985).

J.P. Beaumont reluctantly seeks the murderer of a violent rapist in this 1996 entry. He suspects the victim although her great-aunt confesses. He is assigned to work with detective Kramer with whom he has a mutual antagonism. The ex-wife of ex-partner Ron Peters again seeks custody of her daughters. Social w
Rose
Jul 28, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read
Eric_W
Beaumont is a Seattle detective working on the homicide squad, and in this novel he is faced with a bizarre set of circumstances. A man has ostensibly been killed by being hacked to death with a woman’s high-heeled shoe. This particular woman is also seen leaving the scene of other crimes, and Beaumont soon realizes it must be Jazmyn Day, an excellent singer trying to mak a comeback after recovering from a drug addiction. He’s also mildly in love with her. It soon becomes more complicated as an ...more
Kara Jorges
While I’m a big Joanna Brady fan, I haven’t quite been able to feel the same way about her other favorite protagonist, JP Beaumont. Beau, though a likeable guy, just doesn’t ring true as a man, like he doesn’t quite fit in his skin. His reactions to things seem too passive to be male, or maybe it’s the way he sees women. JP Beaumont has a lot of fans, though, so obviously not everyone agrees with me on that.

Beau, an independently wealthy, high-rise-dwelling, Porsche-driving Seattle homicide cop,
xJane
Jul 15, 2008 xJane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves mysteries
Recommended to xJane by: Mom
Doug Branscombe
Apr 30, 2014 Doug Branscombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy fun read. Going back quite a ways in this series, a body is found floating in the water on New Year's Day. Eventually it is traced back to be an executive at a new Bioengineering Company. As JP Beaumont investigates he uncovers some unusual and wide ranging connections, while dealing with an assortment of other mini-crises that come up. Fast paced, lot of action.
Michelle Palmer
Nov 08, 2014 Michelle Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoy the JA Jance books of JP Beaumont series.
This was a great story of people falling off the wagon, getting back on and coming to terms with their past failures. Really enjoyed it.
Megan
Feb 07, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jance's did a good job with character development this time. I enjoyed this one, though I had to suspend a little too much disbelief at the ending. The audio needs some work with production value.
Pr Latta
Solid J. P. Beaumont with (for those who enjoy the character-driven aspect) series events: J. P.'s ex-wife Karen's cancer gets worse, J. P. falls off the wagon, and Ron gets back in the saddle. J.P. is on his own (Sue has chicken pox!) to figure out who killed a sleezy employee of a high flying genetics company (Designer Genes Inc.). Until Kramer and Arnold get assigned as well. J. P. does not play well with others and, of course, pulls it off at the end. Jance's technology details are getting t ...more
Cactuskid
A typical cop/detective story but not full of trash - not even any romantic girlfriends involved. Just an easy read when you don't want to get that involved in a story.
Nancy Anderson
Feb 20, 2016 Nancy Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid who-done-it. Biotech firm in Seattle.
Beau goes after the evidence to convict a multiple murderer. Lots of interviews and legwork for the independently wealthy detective.
Sheila
Beau gets caught up in 3 different murders that seem to be related. At the same time he is being investigated by child services regarding Ron's girls.
Stephanie Benoit
I continue to be drawn in by this series of books. Beau is a complicated person who has had some pivotal turns in his life to bring him where he's at. Of course, who isn't if you look deeply.
Donna Collier
Okay. Better than the last few of these books, but still not as good as so many of the authors I am reading lately. Not sure why I keep reading them, but since I started the series, I guess I will continue. But I am looking forward to reading something else now!
Renée Fontenot
Feb 23, 2016 Renée Fontenot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio Book read by Gene Engene - He has the best voice for J. P. Beaumont. When he stops reading, I'll start reading.
Mary
Mar 05, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started this am finished tonight, this one is bittersweet a lot happening in Beau's personal life.
Ricardo
Jun 04, 2015 Ricardo rated it liked it
Typical Jance, well written and engaging but not something you will remember in a couple of days
J.R.
Feb 06, 2016 J.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable, and slow moving. Too much dialog between and among the characters.
Harry Addington
Sep 02, 2015 Harry Addington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was actually my second reading and I still enjoyed it. Beau is quite the detective and very human.
April
May 29, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good book. Kept my interest from start to finish, I read it very quickly.
Julie
Jul 30, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy Jance's mysteries is because the locations are Tucson or Seattle.
Beaumont Series 1 16 Jul 22, 2008 05:16PM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Hard Truth (Anna Pigeon, #13)
  • Deadly Justice (Ben Kencaid, #3)
  • Listen to the Silence
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • Secret of the Stone
  • Nightlife
  • Dream of Me
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)