Start by marking “According to Their Deeds” as Want to Read:
According to Their Deeds

According to Their Deeds

A used book dealer finds a knot of deadly lies and dangerous secrets after acquiring the library of a man blackmailing political insiders.
Published March 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about According to Their Deeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about According to Their Deeds

Paul Goble
Feb 14, 2012 Paul Goble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of old books, fans of <cite>People of the Book</cite>
The story is about the proprietor of an antique bookstore who investigates the murder of one of his friends. It is as much about his moral dilemma--whether to act for justice or for mercy--as it is about the solving the mystery. Rather than slowly building, the plot ambles along until POW! surprise and tragedy strike.

The writing style is either bothersome or brilliant. First of all, be prepared for hundreds of puns and wordplays. I enjoyed them, but if you dislike puns... Second, the writing is
Cela Day
Nov 10, 2016 Cela Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
If you've ever dreamed of owning (or simply working in) a great bookstore, and you also like mystery/suspense, then there is a good chance you will enjoy this book! The plot works and the protagonist is interesting, but most of all I thoroughly enjoyed the witty repartee - not only the literary puns, but also the philosophical discussions.
April Parrish
Nov 06, 2016 April Parrish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was AWESOME!!! Very colorful characters, and such an interesting story line! To me, though it is set in modern times, it feels like a step back in time--like an old movie--which makes it almost timeless. Take the time to read this! You won't regret it!
Christy Lockstein
According to Their Deeds by Paul Robertson is an unexpected delight disguised as a political thriller/mysterious book quest. Charles Beale is quite content with his life as a rare book store owner in Alexandria, Virginia. Married to his soulmate , Dorothy, and buying and selling books that inspire his soul, life has settled into a comfortable rhythm, even with the addition of a part-time worker named Angelo who is doing his probation working at the store. After the death of Charles' friend, Dere ...more
Tina
Oct 22, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
When I requested According to Their Deeds, I didn't realize it was from a Christian publisher. I wouldn't have read this book if I had so I'm glad I didn't. Deeds is not overtly Christian in nature. It strikes me as fiction for Christians who just want to avoid sex and profanity. There is, of course, a moral to the story, but it isn't rammed down the reader's throat. There is a subtlety that I appreciated. But what about the story, you ask? The main character is a rare book dealer who becomes in ...more
Sally Bradley
May 02, 2009 Sally Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to Their Deeds is one of those fun books that touches a lot of genres -- and I think will appeal to a lot of readers. It's got suspense with a light-hearted mystery feel, it has a bit of a literary quality with a good deal of humor, and it makes you think about how far mercy and justice should go.

The main character, Charles, runs a rare book bookshop in Alexandria, Virginia, and he stumbles upon some secret information about Washington D.C. movers and shakers when he buys back rare boo
Melanie
This book was very hard to get into. I almost gave up the first fifty pages but something after that held my interest. This book is very different from a lot of books that I read. I can understand why many people think that it is boring because of the plays on words and dry humor. It did make the point that the author was getting to but I found that for a suspense it was not very suspenseful. I did enjoy the book because it was thought provoking. It you want a nice light read this is not what yo ...more
Lori
Aug 09, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christian literature is improving. The mystery was compelling. Our hero is the owner of a rare books store in Alexandria, VA, outside of Washington D.C. He purchases a book collection at auction and discovers secrets in one of the volumes that connects to the Justice Department.
I loved the banter between Charles, the store owner, and his staff. Puns on the classics. I also loved the relationship he has with his wife Dorothy. It is clean and thought provoking. I hope this is the first in a series
Jul 16, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The "conversation" style of the book was difficult to follow. I often didn't know exactly who was speaking. Wish the author had used less of that because the descriptions of surroundings that were given were well written...would've liked more of them! I did LOVE all of the talk of books woven into the plot! I also really liked the main character and his wife. Definitely "liked" the book but can't say that I "loved" it.
Christian
May 15, 2012 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing murder mystery book! When I started reading it I thought it was the most boring mystery ever, but when I finally realized what the author was trying to display I was glued to the pages. :D
Only for those who have a mind for philosophical/ethical questions in mystery/fiction and/or only for those with great imaginations or attention to detail.
Tara
Jul 18, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it... the writing was clever and the literary references served as tasty little nuggets throughout the story. I kept having to remind myself that it was set in modern day Washington DC rather than early 20th century Britain. It was a delightful adventure to read.
Tricia
Mar 31, 2012 Tricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a very long time to read. I had a hard time following it at times and keeping all the characters straight. If you enjoy classic literature, this book is for you, but since I don't, I didn't get all the references that were made and it at times it only added confusion.
Matthew
Jul 26, 2011 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
it was an okay book. I had a hard time with all the dialogue and sometimes got lost as to who was talking and what was going on. Charles Beale was an interesting character but it was an okay read nonetheless.
Anthony Golden
Aug 26, 2016 Anthony Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun read. The author enjoyed writing it, I could tell.

A much better written thriller in the style of Da Vinci Code. Not a 5, because my mind wasn't blown. But that's my own criteria.
Jodi
May 26, 2010 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hive-2011
Finally finished this one, yeah! I am not sure why I had such a hard time gettting into this book. Overall I did find the story interesting, and I enjoyed the ending.

Karen
Jan 17, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book browsing at the library. It is reminiscent of Nick and Laura Charles, (The Thin Man). I also enjoyed the book store setting. It was an interesting, easy read.
Rebecca
May 02, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing mystery that addresses the themes of justice and mercy. My favorite part was all the literary humor.
Carey
Oct 03, 2014 Carey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got book as a free download on my Kindle and was pleasantly surprised to find it was Christian fiction. Well done and not overtly "religious." Nice read.
Joe
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Steve Gilbert
Steve Gilbert rated it it was ok
May 21, 2015
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Michelle Goodson
Michelle Goodson rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Rick Schmidt
Rick Schmidt rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Shirley Klooster
Shirley Klooster rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Robertson is a computer programming consultant, part-time high-school math and science teacher, and the author of The Heir. He is also a former Christian bookstore owner (for 15 years), who lives with his family in Blacksburg, Virginia.
More about Paul Robertson...