Start by marking “According to Their Deeds” as Want to Read:
According to Their Deeds

According to Their Deeds

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A used book dealer finds a knot of deadly lies and dangerous secrets after acquiring the library of a man blackmailing political insiders.
Published March 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about According to Their Deeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about According to Their Deeds

Paul Goble
Feb 14, 2012 Paul Goble rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of old books, fans of <cite>People of the Book</cite>
The story is about the proprietor of an antique bookstore who investigates the murder of one of his friends. It is as much about his moral dilemma--whether to act for justice or for mercy--as it is about the solving the mystery. Rather than slowly building, the plot ambles along until POW! surprise and tragedy strike.

The writing style is either bothersome or brilliant. First of all, be prepared for hundreds of puns and wordplays. I enjoyed them, but if you dislike puns... Second, the writing is
Clockstein Lockstein
According to Their Deeds by Paul Robertson is an unexpected delight disguised as a political thriller/mysterious book quest. Charles Beale is quite content with his life as a rare book store owner in Alexandria, Virginia. Married to his soulmate , Dorothy, and buying and selling books that inspire his soul, life has settled into a comfortable rhythm, even with the addition of a part-time worker named Angelo who is doing his probation working at the store. After the death of Charles' friend, Dere ...more
iubookgirl
When I requested According to Their Deeds, I didn't realize it was from a Christian publisher. I wouldn't have read this book if I had so I'm glad I didn't. Deeds is not overtly Christian in nature. It strikes me as fiction for Christians who just want to avoid sex and profanity. There is, of course, a moral to the story, but it isn't rammed down the reader's throat. There is a subtlety that I appreciated. But what about the story, you ask? The main character is a rare book dealer who becomes in ...more
The "conversation" style of the book was difficult to follow. I often didn't know exactly who was speaking. Wish the author had used less of that because the descriptions of surroundings that were given were well written...would've liked more of them! I did LOVE all of the talk of books woven into the plot! I also really liked the main character and his wife. Definitely "liked" the book but can't say that I "loved" it.
Sally Bradley
According to Their Deeds is one of those fun books that touches a lot of genres -- and I think will appeal to a lot of readers. It's got suspense with a light-hearted mystery feel, it has a bit of a literary quality with a good deal of humor, and it makes you think about how far mercy and justice should go.

The main character, Charles, runs a rare book bookshop in Alexandria, Virginia, and he stumbles upon some secret information about Washington D.C. movers and shakers when he buys back rare boo
Carey
Got book as a free download on my Kindle and was pleasantly surprised to find it was Christian fiction. Well done and not overtly "religious." Nice read.
Lori
Christian literature is improving. The mystery was compelling. Our hero is the owner of a rare books store in Alexandria, VA, outside of Washington D.C. He purchases a book collection at auction and discovers secrets in one of the volumes that connects to the Justice Department.
I loved the banter between Charles, the store owner, and his staff. Puns on the classics. I also loved the relationship he has with his wife Dorothy. It is clean and thought provoking. I hope this is the first in a series
Tara
I liked it... the writing was clever and the literary references served as tasty little nuggets throughout the story. I kept having to remind myself that it was set in modern day Washington DC rather than early 20th century Britain. It was a delightful adventure to read.
Christian
Amazing murder mystery book! When I started reading it I thought it was the most boring mystery ever, but when I finally realized what the author was trying to display I was glued to the pages. :D
Only for those who have a mind for philosophical/ethical questions in mystery/fiction and/or only for those with great imaginations or attention to detail.
Tricia
This book took me a very long time to read. I had a hard time following it at times and keeping all the characters straight. If you enjoy classic literature, this book is for you, but since I don't, I didn't get all the references that were made and it at times it only added confusion.
Matthew
it was an okay book. I had a hard time with all the dialogue and sometimes got lost as to who was talking and what was going on. Charles Beale was an interesting character but it was an okay read nonetheless.
Jodi
Finally finished this one, yeah! I am not sure why I had such a hard time gettting into this book. Overall I did find the story interesting, and I enjoyed the ending.

Karen
I found this book browsing at the library. It is reminiscent of Nick and Laura Charles, (The Thin Man). I also enjoyed the book store setting. It was an interesting, easy read.
Rebecca
Amazing mystery that addresses the themes of justice and mercy. My favorite part was all the literary humor.
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jayne Capps
Jayne Capps marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
John Richards
John Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 13, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Katrina Lyon
Katrina Lyon marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lori Davis
Lori Davis marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Pam Boles
Pam Boles marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Lori Behrens
Lori Behrens marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paul Robertson is a computer programming consultant, part-time high-school math and science teacher, and the author of The Heir. He is also a former Christian bookstore owner (for 15 years), who lives with his family in Blacksburg, Virginia.
More about Paul Robertson...
The Heir Road to Nowhere Dark in the City of Light An Elegant Solution The Power of the Land: Identity, Ethnicity, and Class Among the Oglala Lakota