Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)

Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  3,643 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Winner of the Nebula and Hugo Awards, David Brin brings his bestselling Uplift series to a magnificent conclusion with his most imaginative and powerful novel to date--the shattering epic of a universe poised on the brink of revelation...or annihilation.

Mass Market Paperback, 557 pages
Published May 11th 1999 by Spectra (first published 1998)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Science Fiction
419th out of 1,337 books — 1,805 voters
Snow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Foundation Trilogy by Isaac AsimovEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
Security Now Holiday Science Fiction Special
100th out of 100 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Babcock
Terence
Peter
Jul 30, 2009 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: science fiction fans
I consider David Brin one of the three best genre writers among those who started writing after 1970 (the other two are Lawrence Watt-Evans and Steven Brust; Barry Longyear might be on that list except I think he started writing before 1970, and I haven't seen anything new from him in quite a while. Barry Hughart would be on that list if he hadn't had to give up writing due to his idiotic publishers).

I'm a huge fan of a lot of his work. His original Uplift trilogy is a favorite of mine. But I wa...more
Kaysea
After reading all 6 novels and the follow-up story from Brins Uplift universe "temptation" (All in a row!), I've come to the conclusion that Brin is not that great of a SF author as some people claim he is.

The only thing that kept me reading his Uplift books was his creation of this fantastic universe. His notion of clans, uplifting species and the terran ("wolfling")clan surrounded by hostility had so much potential to begin with ... but alas, it was never meant to be.

((WARNING some SPOILERS))...more
Ben
Rob
I had loved the first Uplift books when I had read them 15 years ago. While reading this series I reread Startide Rising and realized it wasn't as good as I remembered. Brin just isn't that good of a writer. His ideas are often interesting and occasionally brilliant/fascinating. His plotting is only okay. His story arcs are interesting but his telling of them have so many holes and he often leads up to an event and then it happens "off- stage", as it were, and we are only told of it after the fa...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in January 2003.

On a science fiction newsgroup recently, there was a post with the subject, "When did David Brin start to suck?" It rather crudely overstates the reality, but there can be no doubt that this novel (the only recent one of his that I have read) is less good than his early work. It comes at the end of the second Uplift trilogy, and not reading the first two (because of Cambridgeshire libraries' random acquisition policy) may mean I am being too h...more
Ken
So I've finished the second Uplift trilogy and I'm still a bit underwhelmed. First, what was good: Mr. Brin delves into some interesting concepts regarding the nature of sapience and ecological stewardship. He also investigates questions of tradition versus innovation in a long-term galactic civilization. Mr. Brin tries to portray a billion-year-old galactic civilization with an all-encompassing Galactic Library that believes that there is nothing new under the many suns. To his credit, he does...more
Victor
This was by far the WORST book of the new uplift trilogy. It's not that the story is bad, but the way it was told, the characters development and the book/series finale is downright awful.

It seems like that this book was not about the characters, but about space and the hyper-space. If you look at this book as a philosophical book about space and hyper-space and travel in them, sprinkled with some story about some alien races, then it will be sort of ok. However, since this is a final book of a...more
Dark-Draco
The six book series finally comes to an end. The Streaker has made a desperate bid to escape Jijo, drawing the Jophur ship away from the hidden world, hoping to destroy it and themselves in the new transfer point opening in space, taking Sara of Jijo with them. However, ships already there give them another chance to flee and attempt once more to get their information out to the galaxies. Trapped aboard the Jophur ship, Lark finds unlikely allies, while Dwer has to use his hunters skills in the...more
Onefinemess
THERE'S MORE TO SEE HERE.

That's pretty much the takeaway from this. Brin "owes" us one more Uplift book or trilogy... right? I mean, he never got back to the half of the cast he left behind in Startide Rising. Maybe that's just how he rolls but still.

HARSH.

STILL.

That closing paragraph. Grrr.

I built this one up a bit too much internally, I think. It couldn't live up to what I what I wanted. That or it wasn't quite as good as it should have been. A little of both, most likely. Most series finales...more
Martin
The whole second "uplift" series by Brin, and especially this book, showcases both the inspiration and disappointment of sci fi. The imagination here is staggering -- he's actually created a whole Galactic sociology that kind of makes sense, a technically realistic way the universe could be full of life that all talks and interacts. I've read this book time and again for its scope -- hydrogen breathers, "transcendent" beings diving into black holes, etc.

But the way it's written is a big disappoi...more
Al

The brutal enemy that has relentlessly pursued them for centuries has arrived. Now the fugitive settlers of Jijo--both human and alien--brace for a final confrontation. The Jijoans' only hope is the Earthship Streaker, crewed by uplifted dolphi

Darth
This isnt the worst thing I ever read, but again, as with the other books in this series, it just didnt do much for me.

Those crazy kids from Jijo are off on another unlikely adventure. They go places, do things, and in the long tradition of over-matched "good guys" in literature and film - they manage to overcome overwhelming odds and win the day, kind of. Sound like 1,000's of other things you have read? Yeah, me too...

There is so much in the whole trilogy and this book included, that just doe...more
David Bonesteel
David Brin picks up the strands of his story and follows his characters off the surface of the planet Jijo and into the cosmos. The crew of the Streaker, pursued relentlessly by a powerful Jophur dreadnought, searches for someone that can be trusted with the terrible secret they have uncovered. This desperate adventure coincides with the prophesied Time of Changes, a suitably cataclysmic event that answers most of the questions raised in the series and leaves a pleasant sense of ambiguity surrou...more
Peter
This wraps up the trilogy as well as a lot of loose ends from the previous trilogy. As always I find this universe an imaginative and well thought out place. The basic story line is fun.

However it wasn't a perfect book. There are so many story lines that the author feels the need to recap what was happening with this group last time we saw them. When a given group may only be followed for two pages that means are recapping every two pages. I find this incredibly boring.

Also and this is a problem...more
Jon
Mar 09, 2012 Jon added it
For someone who has been savoring this series (the original Uplift Trilogy and this second trilogy) for over ten years - I can say honestly that I was not disappointed in the least with this action-stuffed ending. Some loose ends are floating lazily out of sight like strings of buckyballs in the void, Tom Orley's fate for example - but I ended up sincerely not caring! The over-arching epic space opera is so mind-bending and fun that I'm inclined to forgive a rushed feeling in this novel due to t...more
Titus Fortner
This book was great in many ways, but overall disappointing. It reminds me very much of Uplift War in that I developed emotional attachments to characters and plot threads that ended up getting changed in what feels like an arbitrary manner, which is wholly unsatisfying.

For as much as I enjoyed the Streaker's story and crew, all of E-space seemed unnecessary, and the hydrogen entities and pretty much the entire story on the Jophur ship seemed to go on forever without adding much to the overall...more
Martyn F
Do we need Harry? Do we need E-Space and allaphorics? No, alas we don't. David Brin started out this series with some interesting characters in a very interesting universe. But somehow the universe took a life of its own and the characters almost disappeared. A real pity!
Rusty
May 31, 2011 Rusty rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who loves science fiction and fantasy. This is a wonderful adventure.
This is a wonderful read. Travel across space with Gillian Baskin who captains an exploring spacecraft after her husband and many of her shipmates disappear. She and her crew guard a precious cargo of relics that is to be shared among all species who live in space while each wants it only for itself. Meet Harry, a talking and thinking chimp whose travels in E space are exploratory, funny and exciting. Then there are the lovers, Lark and Ling, whose love for each other transcends all else. Lark w...more
Vintagebarrio
This is a weird one, more a juvenile fantasy in some ways.

However, the language theory parts are really intriguing.

And, I love the bio mimetic products that actually use a live animal by genetically modifying it instead of just duplicating it with artificial technology--like sunglasses that are alive--so fun these little details.

Honestly, I read Brin for those little imaginative asides and inventions more than for plot. The uplift concept is completely brilliant, but some of the characters ar...more
Diane
This book shows Brin's usual flair for creating memorable characters (especially aliens), but I thought it lacked something as the last volume of a series. I'm not a stickler about closure in books--open-ended can be okay, if done well--but if you're going to have an event set off a chain of events that lasts six volumes, I think you should reveal something definitive about the event, rather than just hint at its meaning. Still, some interesting explorations of big themes, like why are we (as a...more
Mrs Johnnie Tate
{While reading} HEY! Looking about GoodReads.com and realized I went from the Uplift Saga #3 to Uplift Storm Trilogy #3 (this book). Several chapters in and do not feel lost or that there is a hick-up in the story line. Will see if when I am done there is a feeling to return to UST 1&2 to fill in gaps.

Finished and not disappointed! David tells and excellent story that even without reading Uplift Saga #1 & #2 had me vested in the characters and the outcome.
Justin
David Brin delivers in this last novel of the Uplift Storm Trilogy. The hard science of Brin's world is much more in affect in this novel than in the previous two, and we're introduced to a few new characters. But it picks up exactly where Infinity's Shore dropped off. Though each subplot is tied off nicely, we never spend any time on Jijo, which was my favorite part of the novels. That's the main reason behind my 4-star rating, that little bit of disappointment.
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
This is part of a grand trilogy that started with the Uplift War, Startide Rising and Sundiver, and while they share the same universe, they aren't required reaqding.
This Trilogy about the world Jijo on the otherhand are all tied together and they weave a grand tapestry together about all of the loose ends from the previous three novels.
In the end Brin makes his case for greatness and leaves you wanting more...
Michael Evans
The final book in this 6 book story is epic. Like most long space epics, the plot and ramifications grow and grow. The expectation for the eventual resolution grows in parallel. Usually this all deflates with a whimper instead of a good resolution. Heaven's reach does a great job of bringing the main plot to a truly epic conclusion with implications not just for one galaxy but for lots of them. Great book.
Jon
Brin throws in a zoo of alien civilizations, many as the initial narrators. I was fascinated by the questions of environmental ethics throughout the series and they really take front stage in the second trilogy. In total, a top-notch work of modern sci-fi: if the Grand Masters were about physics (rocketships and space), Uplift is about biology and ecology, with smatterings of quantum, probability, and psychology.
Chuck Childers
The book pulls off a geometric progression of scale, mounting stakes, and consequences. While it isn't a definitive conclusion to the Uplift series (all highly recommended), it closes out the journey of the Streaker. If you like crazy hard sci-fi adventure, this is a good choice, but start with Startide Rising since it's basically the first volume of a series that either ends or takes a break here.
Villate
This one was better than the last two in terms of moving quickly and making me want to read it. There were still a lot of weird things happening and quick decisions that weren't well explained. The flashbacks were interesting, but I felt like I was missing whole sections or chapters. It felt rushed. Still, it's a mostly tidy tie-up to the series that leaves plenty of open threads for future stories.
Brian
This book goes so far over the top Voyager would be jealous.

It's hard to believe a story line that begins on placid Jijo can end up here.

A wild ride that ends with a million loose ends. I'm not sure if the authour is planning a dozen more books to tidy things up, or (more likely) he's as dazed by the results as the rest of us.

Read this book, but buckle your seatbelts first!
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Explorer (Foreigner, #6)
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • A Second Chance at Eden
  • Conqueror (Raj Whitehall, #3-5)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Lazarus Rising (Starfist, #9)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends...more
More about David Brin...
Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2) The Postman The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3) Sundiver (The Uplift Saga, #1) Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)