Start by marking “Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)

Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,967 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Winner of the Nebula and Hugo Awards, David Brin brings his bestselling Uplift series to a magnificent conclusion with his most imaginative and powerful novel to date--the shattering epic of a universe poised on the brink of revelation...or annihilation.

The brutal enemy that has relentlessly pursued them for centuries has arrived. Now the fugitive settlers of Jijo--both hu
Mass Market Paperback, 557 pages
Published May 11th 1999 by Spectra (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Reach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Reach

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry NivenThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardA Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor VingeThe Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
Best aliens.
121st out of 245 books — 237 voters
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas AdamsThe Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffreyDeep Wizardry by Diane DuaneStartide Rising by David BrinInfinity's Shore by David Brin
Dolphins in Science Fiction
6th out of 19 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Babcock
Kaysea
Sep 08, 2009 Kaysea rated it did not like it
After reading all 6 novels and the follow-up story from Brins Uplift universe "temptation" (All in a row!), I've come to the conclusion that Brin is not that great of a SF author as some people claim he is.

The only thing that kept me reading his Uplift books was his creation of this fantastic universe. His notion of clans, uplifting species and the terran ("wolfling")clan surrounded by hostility had so much potential to begin with ... but alas, it was never meant to be.

((WARNING some SPOILERS))
Peter
Jul 30, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
I consider David Brin one of the three best genre writers among those who started writing after 1970 (the other two are Lawrence Watt-Evans and Steven Brust; Barry Longyear might be on that list except I think he started writing before 1970, and I haven't seen anything new from him in quite a while. Barry Hughart would be on that list if he hadn't had to give up writing due to his idiotic publishers).

I'm a huge fan of a lot of his work. His original Uplift trilogy is a favorite of mine. But I wa
Terence
Sep 08, 2009 Terence rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Onefinemess
Jun 28, 2013 Onefinemess rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
THERE'S MORE TO SEE HERE.

That's pretty much the takeaway from this. Brin "owes" us one more Uplift book or trilogy... right? I mean, he never got back to the half of the cast he left behind in Startide Rising. Maybe that's just how he rolls but still.

HARSH.

STILL.

That closing paragraph. Grrr.

I built this one up a bit too much internally, I think. It couldn't live up to what I what I wanted. That or it wasn't quite as good as it should have been. A little of both, most likely. Most series finales
Ben
Apr 29, 2010 Ben rated it it was ok
Dark-Draco
Apr 18, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing
The six book series finally comes to an end. The Streaker has made a desperate bid to escape Jijo, drawing the Jophur ship away from the hidden world, hoping to destroy it and themselves in the new transfer point opening in space, taking Sara of Jijo with them. However, ships already there give them another chance to flee and attempt once more to get their information out to the galaxies. Trapped aboard the Jophur ship, Lark finds unlikely allies, while Dwer has to use his hunters skills in the ...more
Martin
Apr 06, 2009 Martin rated it really liked it
The whole second "uplift" series by Brin, and especially this book, showcases both the inspiration and disappointment of sci fi. The imagination here is staggering -- he's actually created a whole Galactic sociology that kind of makes sense, a technically realistic way the universe could be full of life that all talks and interacts. I've read this book time and again for its scope -- hydrogen breathers, "transcendent" beings diving into black holes, etc.

But the way it's written is a big disappoi
David Bonesteel
Jun 11, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it
David Brin picks up the strands of his story and follows his characters off the surface of the planet Jijo and into the cosmos. The crew of the Streaker, pursued relentlessly by a powerful Jophur dreadnought, searches for someone that can be trusted with the terrible secret they have uncovered. This desperate adventure coincides with the prophesied Time of Changes, a suitably cataclysmic event that answers most of the questions raised in the series and leaves a pleasant sense of ambiguity surrou ...more
David B
Jul 28, 2014 David B rated it really liked it
Elar
May 27, 2014 Elar rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Brilliant book that wraps up many loose ends (also from Uplift Saga Startide Rising) and shows us the greater goal toward which many unrelated adventures have weaved through trilogy. Saga's ending is not something totally new, but it is unexpected.

Through both trilogies author introduces many brilliant alien races, planet and space adventures, so that you want to keep on reading to see what happens next. It is good to see that humans are not demonized for gene manipulation and they are at least
ScoLgo
Jan 21, 2016 ScoLgo rated it really liked it
This review covers all three books in the 2nd Uplift Trilogy, (Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, and Heaven's Reach).

At the end of the day, this rather long story, (nearly 2,000 pages over three volumes), is a good book that leaves some big openings for more adventures in the Uplift Universe. With that said, I really enjoyed the first three Uplift books, (Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War), more than I did this second trilogy. I think that is due to the stand-alone nature of the initial
Steven
Aug 03, 2014 Steven rated it liked it
* Listen to the crash
* Of breakers on yonder reef,
* And. tell me this ain't real! * So says Olelo, a dolphin crew member on one spacecraft on the last pages of the book, Heaven's Reach.

This is a difficult review for me. Brin's book, Uplift War is one of my favorite science fiction books. Heaven's Reach, continuing the same story three books later is a very difficult read. As other reviewers have said, there are way too many POVs.

Let me itemize the evidence for the crime of excessive POVs: Harry
Justin
Nov 17, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, audio
David Brin delivers in this last novel of the Uplift Storm Trilogy. The hard science of Brin's world is much more in affect in this novel than in the previous two, and we're introduced to a few new characters. But it picks up exactly where Infinity's Shore dropped off. Though each subplot is tied off nicely, we never spend any time on Jijo, which was my favorite part of the novels. That's the main reason behind my 4-star rating, that little bit of disappointment.
Jason
May 13, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
6th and (so far) final book of Brin’s Uplift series. An intricately woven epic, a tremendous finale that heaps wonder upon wonder, crescendoing to staggering heights. A vibrant panorama of likable characters and alien races, hyper-aliens, meta-aliens, godlike-intelligences, sublime scopes, ancient cosmic mysteries, space battles and narrow escapes! Mind-expanding rip-roaring unapologetic space opera at its absolute very best!
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Sci-fi
Shelves: science-fiction
This is part of a grand trilogy that started with the Uplift War, Startide Rising and Sundiver, and while they share the same universe, they aren't required reaqding.
This Trilogy about the world Jijo on the otherhand are all tied together and they weave a grand tapestry together about all of the loose ends from the previous three novels.
In the end Brin makes his case for greatness and leaves you wanting more...
Michael Evans
May 04, 2013 Michael Evans rated it really liked it
The final book in this 6 book story is epic. Like most long space epics, the plot and ramifications grow and grow. The expectation for the eventual resolution grows in parallel. Usually this all deflates with a whimper instead of a good resolution. Heaven's reach does a great job of bringing the main plot to a truly epic conclusion with implications not just for one galaxy but for lots of them. Great book.
Jon
Apr 10, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
Brin throws in a zoo of alien civilizations, many as the initial narrators. I was fascinated by the questions of environmental ethics throughout the series and they really take front stage in the second trilogy. In total, a top-notch work of modern sci-fi: if the Grand Masters were about physics (rocketships and space), Uplift is about biology and ecology, with smatterings of quantum, probability, and psychology.
Gordon
Dec 25, 2010 Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, fiction
One of the pinnacles of modern hard sci-fi. Numerous alien races are given detailed treatments, and the science never overshadows the character (even if said character is a gelatinous stack of ring tori). This is what I love about science fiction, you create a world of such incredible detail, only so it can serve as the backdrop for an epic story.
Eric
Aug 15, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who have finished the other books and would like some semblance of closure
Shelves: sci-fi
I trudged through 1000 pages, only to be firehosed with Brin's orgy of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. I'm fine with that. I enjoy this Universe, even if I have to spend far too much time following pointless characters around as they do inconsequential things. Finally, after, I dunno, 1800 pages of Uplift universe content, we get to hear a little about the main thrust of the cosmos, rather than some quaint anachronistic backwater. And he pulls out all of the stops here, with his delving into the other ...more
kazerniel
Feb 19, 2015 kazerniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
A quite excellent ending to the trilogy, I loved the very last scenes of all three plotlines :) I feel like I want to read more about these people, as characteristically to David Brin many plotlines and questions remained open in the end. I'm gonna check out that short sequel story, Temptation.

One thing I find scary in Brin's Uplift Universe, that in billion years old civilisation capitalism is still the prevalent economical system. Seriously they couldn't evolve to a fairer and more person-cent
Kenneth
Jul 12, 2014 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Despite many passages of repetitive information (likely inserted to help readers keep the myriad threads straight), this was an excellent conclusion to the Uplift series. Not all ends are tied, and that makes me happy. It's not the hollywood conclusion, and it's not without character losses. There is always a cost. Well done, Brin.
Amy
Dec 18, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Conclusion to the Uplift trilogy. The ending (spoiler) always struck me as sad and bittersweet. The Streaker makes it home, but part of their crew, who escaped the events in Startide Rising in a separate ship, is still out there, lost in the Wilderness of the Galaxies. I hope Brin takes up that part of the story and concludes it.
Andreea Pausan
Aug 25, 2014 Andreea Pausan rated it really liked it
it is amazing when you finish a series and it expands your universe so you have more questions than when you began reading.Brin offers us a lesson in being a galactic citizen, away from our self-centered belief that we are alone in the universe. It's about understanding and tolerance, but also resilience and hope.
Martin L. Cahn
Sep 18, 2011 Martin L. Cahn rated it really liked it
An excellent ending to a challenging series. Leaves things open for more stories if Brin ever wanted to revisit all these years later. The concepts are mind-blowing while still grounding much of the story in characterization even when -- or, perhaps, especially -- dealing with interspecies relations. Enjoyed the ride!
Tomgroff
Nov 07, 2011 Tomgroff rated it it was amazing
This book has an amazing breadth and yet it still manages to tie up most of the loose ends of the trilogy.

I enjoyed the discussion and interplay of the various orders of life forms - oxygen, hydrogen, mechanical, memetic, retired, and transcendent...

A very satisfying conclusion to a great trilogy.
Martyn F
Mar 31, 2014 Martyn F rated it it was ok
Do we need Harry? Do we need E-Space and allaphorics? No, alas we don't. David Brin started out this series with some interesting characters in a very interesting universe. But somehow the universe took a life of its own and the characters almost disappeared. A real pity!
Craig
Aug 08, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
An ending, not a conclusion - we don't get all the answers in the end, but really, isn't that life? I found it to be a fitting and satisfying end to this story arc, but I hope that Mr. Brin ends up writing more in this universe in the future - I still do want those answers.....
Daniel Smith
Jun 23, 2015 Daniel Smith rated it really liked it
Not as satisfying as I hoped, many loose ends were left.

(view spoiler)
Meredith
Apr 12, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it
Note: this review will cover all three books of the trilogy, since they really must be read together, as I found out the hard way. I read the first book and let several months go by before I got my hands on the second and third, and had to go back and re-read the first book.

Brin is without a doubt a great world builder. While maybe not as detailed as Tolkien, his universe is probably the most creative I've ever read. I especially loved the traeki(waxy donuts that are individually alive but coll
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Phylogenesis (Founding of the Commonwealth, #1)
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)
  • A Phule and His Money (Phule's Company, #3)
  • Chanur's Endgame (Compact Space, #4-5) (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin...

Uplift Storm Trilogy (3 books)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • Infinity's Shore (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #2)