Start by marking “Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body” as Want to Read:
Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body

Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Note: This book includes a spoken-word audio CD, which is not available with the digital ebook edition.

Researchers have shown that survivors of accidents, disaster, and childhood trauma often en endure lifelong symptoms ranging from anxiety and depression to unexplained physical pain, fatigue, illness, and harmful "acting out" behaviors. Today, professionals and clients in
Published October 1st 2008 by Sounds True (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Trauma

Krista
Jan 27, 2014 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have to be cautious when approaching a significantly alternative philosophy: some can be pretty far out, and even detrimental. An open mind is a good thing, as long as you take care about what you’re letting in! I had all my radar on for this book, which begins with a quote from the Gnostic Gospels and the four noble truths of Buddha:

Suffering is part of being human
Find out why you suffer
Suffering can be transformed and healed
After finding the cause of suffering, you must find the right
Morgan Blackledge
May 23, 2015 Morgan Blackledge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Healing Trauma: Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body is a brief introduction to Dr. Peter Levine's research, theory and clinical work in assisting recovery from PTSD symptoms.

Somatic Experiencing is the clinical modality based on Dr. Levine's theory and research.

Somatic Experiencing differs from conventional talk therapy. Rather than linguistically interpreting the trauma and reframing the event in a more adaptive way (cognitive restructuring and narrative integration).

Somatic Experiencing facilit
lov2laf
This reads like a cliffs' notes version of Peter Levine's other works. I found the book interesting and helpful until the end of the practical exercises. The sections after felt like filler.

Levine's work is really interesting, especially since it deals more with body work vs intellect. Much of the time, trauma isn't bound in logic so thinking your way through it in order to process it doesn't work. Processing trauma through body exercises is another strategy and it seems to be effective.

This boo
auie
Jul 16, 2008 auie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a lot of hang-ups like me.
"If you bring forth that which is within you, then that which is within you will be your salvation...
If you do not bring forth that which is within you, then what is within you will destroy you" - The Gnostic Gospels

done reading...have not come to exercising it yet. i think this book is helpful in terms of information about trauma - its level of helpfulness though will depend upon the result/s i get when i finally come round to doing the exercises.
Maggie
Apr 30, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is much more readable than Peter Levine's other, for the lay person anyway. I like the way it talks about healing trauma in terms that a person can hear it without feeling it's the end of the world to get past trauma. Not to mention all the little things that can actually traumatize that we don't even realize can have an impact, especially for little children.
Louise
Aug 11, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent, practical book that also comes with a CD with exercises to help the listener develop a deeper awareness of the body's "felt sense". Written with clarity, compassion, and well-grounded faith in the human being's innate capacity to triumph over trauma.
elissa
A "somatic experiencing" book. I've had a couple of sessions of this bodywork modality, and might want to read a book about it at some point.
Nina
Jan 13, 2016 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very informative book that I found useful (and working as a psychologist I'm always looking for books that might help me with helping others). It has many examples and exercises you can use on your own, and I also like how he compares our reactions to those of other animals. There are also some great case studies in the book, that demonstrates eloquently what he means when he explains the theory behind the treatment. An essential book for all trauma therapists!
Sarah Marble
Nov 15, 2015 Sarah Marble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and CD are amazing. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I read. It made me appreciate that my difficulties stem not from being a lazy or bad person but from having a body trying to protect me, and a body with stuck energy. The exercises work. Truly life changing.
Helen Carter
Oct 18, 2015 Helen Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've not listened to the CD exercises yet, but the 12 phase approach makes logical sense to me: enabling victims of trauma to trust their bodily "felt sense". I'm eager to learn more!
Darya
Jul 03, 2015 Darya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just started doing the course of exercises, and it's been influencing me greatly so far. I don't know what the final result will be, but, generally, the the author says many true things which I can personally relate to. I am very hopeful about the result)
Kevin Bergin
May 28, 2016 Kevin Bergin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book help me heal from childhood and recent abuse and trauma.
Julie
Wonderful book with CD.
April
read this as a resource for my husband: didn't complete the exercises, but I find his theories fascinating
Cyberpayanee
Aug 24, 2013 Cyberpayanee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book brings trauma within a workable distance this in itself gives confidence that the matter can be dealt with. This is no small measure of achievement. The first hurdle for healing is met effectively. Processing of trauma in animals is interesting and a useful analogy but i wonder that it is a bit simplicitic. However one must admit that it is effective to bring down the complex issue to public domain. A laudable contribution to the field.
Becky
Feb 12, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It reminded me of the whole of the body and how we cannot compartmentalize trauma as a place, but instead need to find what it is that it can teach us. The places within that we hold the scars of life can become deep wells of healing but only when we dare to engage with the healing touch of love and not hate. The greater question is how do we access love?
Wendy
Jul 13, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Speaks to the somatic route of healing trauma disorders. Provides exercises and cd recording. I don't think anyone should attempt to self-help trauma as this book seems to suggest, but this can be a useful guide for clinicians. I may try some of the gentler exercises in my groups.
Tori
Apr 20, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cindy
Recommended to Tori by: amazon.com reviews
I need to go through and do the exercises on the cd that is included but I think this book is very helpful for PTSD. I would recommend reading it along with his other book Waking the Tiger that goes into more detail.
Libby
Levine is at his best in the first section of the book, before the exercises. He approaches the topic of trauma with a pervasive optimism and expectation for recovery.
Bethany
This was really interesting and makes a lot of sense. I haven't started doing the exercises yet but am planning on doing so.
Jennavier
Jul 23, 2014 Jennavier rated it really liked it
Unexpectedly awesome. I didn't realize how much the physical response changed how I dealt with trauma.
Jennifer Welsh
Interesting and simple theory, passion for healing, great practical exercises try.
Jamie Rogers
Oct 02, 2013 Jamie Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear and easy to understand techniques and examples.
Pat
Feb 23, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information and practical exercises.
R.L. Mosz
Apr 04, 2014 R.L. Mosz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating.
Kate Callahan
read for professional reasons
Elizabeth
from the library
Nicole Lee
Nicole Lee is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2016
Mohamed
Mohamed is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Malibu Barron
Malibu Barron rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
  • The Body Bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation, and Disease
  • Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy
  • The Polyvagal Theory: Neurophysiological Foundations of Emotions, Attachment, Communication, and Self-regulation
  • Healing Trauma: Attachment, Mind, Body and Brain
  • Healing Developmental Trauma: How Early Trauma Affects Self-Regulation, Self-Image, and the Capacity for Relationship
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • The Body Remembers: The Psychophysiology of Trauma and Trauma Treatment
  • The Neurobiology of "We"
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Stolen Tomorrows: Understanding and Treating Women's Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • A Secure Base: Parent-Child Attachment and Healthy Human Development
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal
  • Building the Bonds of Attachment: Awakening Love in Deeply Troubled Children
  • Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love
Peter A.Levine, Ph.D. is the originator and developer of Somatic Experiencing and the Director of The Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute. He holds doctorate degrees in Medical Biophysics and in Psychology. During his thirty five-year study of stress and trauma, Dr. Levine has contributed to a variety of scientific and popular publications.

Dr. Levine was a stress consultant for NASA during the d
More about Peter A. Levine...

“Although humans rarely die from trauma, if we do not resolve it, our lives can be severely diminished by its effects. Some people have even described this situation as a “living death.” 2 likes
“Constriction. When we respond to a life-threatening situation, hyperarousal is initially accompanied by constriction in our bodies and a narrowing of perceptions. Our nervous system acts to ensure that all our efforts can be maximally focused on the threat in an” 2 likes