Start by marking “Bitter Sugar: A Lupe Solano Mystery” as Want to Read:
Bitter Sugar: A Lupe Solano Mystery

Bitter Sugar: A Lupe Solano Mystery (Lupe Solano #6)

The dearest friend of Lupe Solana's beloved "Papi," Ramón Suarez was the owner of a prosperous sugar mill back in Cuba until Castro forced him into exile. Now an unnamed Spanish source wants to purchase the confiscated property at a fraction of its true value. Suarez wants the sexy, smart, hot-tempered South Florida P.I. to find out why, but Ramon's lazy, no-good nephew Al ...more
Published November 30th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Sugar

Jen
After getting halfway through the book, I have to give this one up. The writing and the main character are not working for me. I kind of want to know the end of the mystery, but not enough to keep going through what has been a slog for me. As usual for me with abandoned books, I don't rate them - I don't think it's fair to the author for me to rate a book I didn't finish. I'm sure some people would love this; it just wasn't for me.
Therese B
First time I have read this author and found the book delightful. I enjoyed learning more about the Cuban people that fled to Miami. The heroin is a private detective and her case is about a murder that is committed and her father asked her to take the case as it involves a long time friend. She works hard at solving the case and the reading is good. I read it on my nook.
Gramy
This is the sixth book of this series starring Lupe Solano, the daughter of a prominent Cuban American family who is a private investigator. Although Lupe's father (Papi) hasn't approved of her choice to become a private investigator, he asks for her expertise to help his long time friend (both Cuban expatriates) from Cuba investigate an offer to buy some of his sugar mills in Cuba that have been in his family for hundreds of years. The Cuban government seized them when Castro took over. Both fa ...more
Gregg Brickman
Jan 28, 2014 Gregg Brickman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lupe is an accomplished and inventive PI. Her wealthy Cuban-American family is not trilled with her profession, so Lupe is shocked when her father asks her to help his best friend with a matter. Lupe is plunged into a world of half-truths, omitted information, and flat-out lies. She manages to sprinkle an interesting love life between the investigative challenges.

It held my attention and is both entertaining and well-written.
Dru
Sep 21, 2016 Dru rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any books in this series in a long time but remember liking the characters and setting. But this one fell flat; the writing and plot just didn't do anything for me.
Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount)
This was a fun murder mystery, centered in Miami and focused around Cuban-Americans. Cuba and the US have 'normalized' their relationship, but it is still interesting to read stories set before this very recent change, to see how our past restrictions on interactions with Cuba impacted the refuges from Cuba who live here in the US. I also appreciated how the sleuth, Lupe, is a modern woman working in a 'male' field, and dealing with her very conservative family.
Harvee
Apr 22, 2009 Harvee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuban-American exiles in Miami are the topic for the series of mystery novels by Carolina Garcia-Aguilera, featuring Lupe Solano, private investigator.

An overview of her books, which include Havana Heat, is posted in my book blog at http://bookbirddog.blogspot.com/2009/...
Sara K.
Summer mystery candy. Heard the author on NPR, sounded interesting, decided to give her books a read. I love the main character Lupe Solano and the spicy goodness of the books being set in the Cubano world of Miami. These are great books!!! Too bad our library does not have all the copies!
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Rwc
Rwc rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Cari Blakey
Cari Blakey rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Becky Meyer
Becky Meyer rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Johanna Castillo
Johanna Castillo marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
MrsNiceGirl
MrsNiceGirl rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Mary Blinkhorn
Mary Blinkhorn marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Annie Mermelstein
Annie Mermelstein rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Suz
Suz rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Kerrie Jo
Kerrie Jo marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Soarlighter
Soarlighter marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Eric Vanorsdale
Eric Vanorsdale marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Carolina Garcia-Aguilera (born 1949) is a Cuban-born American writer. She has written a series of mystery stories, and two novels.

She was born in Havana, Cuba in July 1949. In 1960, she emigrated to the United States, living in Palm Beach, Florida, and then New York City. She graduated from college, with degrees in history and political science, a master's in language and linguistics, and an MBA i
More about Carolina Garcia-Aguilera...

Lupe Solano (7 books)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Bloody Shame (Lupe Solano, #2)
  • Bloody Secrets (Lupe Solano, #3)
  • A Miracle in Paradise (Lupe Solano, #4)
  • Havana Heat (Lupe Solano, #5)
  • Bloody Twist (Lupe Solano, #7)