Start by marking “The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It” as Want to Read:

“Juhasz bravely and expertly exposes the inner workings of an industry and a government riddled with secrets, lies, and deception.”
—Daniel Ellsberg, author of Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers

In the tradition of the Academy Award-winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, Antonia Juhasz’s The Tyranny of Oil offers a chilling exposé of the modern America
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published September 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Tyranny of Oil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tyranny of Oil

Alex
Oct 26, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever wondered why the US government spends trillions of dollars to launch massive wars against Middle Eastern nations that have never attacked us, but refuses to do absolutely anything about the ongoing climate crisis? This book is for you.

The Tyranny of Oil is an exposee of "Big Oil", meaning Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, BP, ConocoPhillips, and Royal Dutch Shell, the largest oil corporations in the world (and some of THE largest corporations in the world). The book exposes how these enormous oil octop
C. Scott
Aug 15, 2016 C. Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Equal parts informative and outraging, Juhasz lays out the history of the oil industry and the ebb and flow of its incredible power in world economics and politics. It's hard not to feel completely overwhelmed by the money and influence this industry wields - especially to anyone who might consider challenging it.

This book first came to my attention through Telesur's Empire Files which featured the author in a segment on oil. I was immediately hooked by what Juhasz said about the history of Stan
Thom Dunn
I have trouble understanding how one can be both an American Patriot and a Free-Market Advocate when the largest players in that market are these megalopagazilla leviathans.
Diane
Aug 18, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book described the oil industry from its inception, John D. Rockefeller's monopoly, its breakup, and how the industry has regrouped to gain, once again, a monopoly over this energy resource. Juhasz explains how the industry works: how oil prices get set (not based on oil availability), the oil industry from exploration, drilling, refining and transportation, and the new sources of oil and how they damage the environment (tar sands in Canada, shale oil in Montana, off shore drilling) Particu ...more
Jenika
Feb 26, 2009 Jenika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ms. Juhasz has detailed how our government politically uses war and invasion as a tool to control countries and rob them of their natural resources. She traces Big Oil's tactics from Rockefeller to the current oil crises/war in Iraq. She does this in a readable way that never is beyond our comprehension. She takes no prisoners but names names that are frighteningly current. This is a book to re-read as the future is also written into this credible epic of the Tyranny of Oil.
Tariq Mahmood
A very average book that primarily meant for academics interested in the history of oil companies in the US. For someone new to the oil industry it was tough going.
Blog on Books
Jul 26, 2010 Blog on Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Long before the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Oil has been a problem. More specifically, Big Oil has been a big problem.

In Antonia Juhasz’s must read, ‘The Tyranny of Oil: The World’s Most Powerful Industry and What We Must Do to Stop It’ – just released in paperback – the author reveals numerous secrets of the oil business; secrets that are having a profound effect on our environment, global economies and the prospect of never-ending wars in hot zones across our planet.

Everyone knows Big Oil
Tim
Jul 13, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Everyone knows Big Oil
Ben
Apr 20, 2009 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Speed Reading

The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry -- and What We Must Do to Stop It

By Ben Terrall

The Tyranny Of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry — And What We Must Do To Stop It

By Antonia Juhasz

William Morrow

480 pages

$26.99

In responding to an attack on her book in the Washington Post, Antonia Juhasz explained, "My goal in writing The Tyranny of Oil was to offer an analysis that has been sorely missing in U.S. literature since the 1
Brian
Jan 03, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply superb. Juhasz, who also wrote The Bush Agenda, here brilliantly exposes the pernicious effects of the oil industry and its disproportionate effect on American democracy. Juhasz explains--clearly, with ample evidence--that our country's addiction to oil is hardly "accidental," but the result of decades of deliberate control and exploitation of the need for reliable energy sources.

Juhasz offers substantial evidence throughout, and this is a great source book for that reason, for discussio
Loren
Mar 14, 2009 Loren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author goes out of her way to grind her axe against big oil. It would have more interesting to be a little more even handed. She wants to "stop" big oil from doing something but doesn't really make clear what she would "stop". Except maybe them making money! Her alternatives are also weak ans by the end she sounds pissed off that gas is costing her 4.00/gal and thats why she wrote the book.
Hans Hoffmann
It really lays into the oil industry as a greedy not moral group of people. However it disusses in detail the roel of industry in the lobbying process, In light of the recent decision by the supreme court of campaign funding by corporations, I would be very worried. This makes already powerful corporations even more so. It also discusses the history og big oil in the US - from Rockefeller on. It is a compelling read.
Timothy
This book is insightful. Juhasz does a great job at giving info and facts on the tactics of big oil and how they play a big part in governmental policy. What this book lacks however is the 2nd half of the title what we must do to stop big oil, she doesn't really expand on that topic or bring any ideas or thoughts as alternatives to "stop big oil".
Rob Prince
May 19, 2009 Rob Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done - especially the shift in Global Oil these past decades (mergers of the big companies into mega companies, shift back to domestic production) with an excellent and easily understandable section on the oil futures market and how it influences oil prices. I'm impressed

Cheers. Rob P.
Neil
Jun 01, 2009 Neil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
so far not too compelling....like a college research paper...arghh...I think I might have to skim the rest...this gal is a little over the top.....fizzled out...i got bored ...skimmed it then let it die a slow death on my night stand...arrggghhh
Edmund
Feb 04, 2009 Edmund rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Read this book with interest but as a Canadian and an Albertan I was somewhat surprised to find that Fort McMurray - the centre of Alberta's oil sand extraction (dirty oil) industry, was referred to as Fort McNurray - her publisher should consider a review of its proof reading procedures.
Krystal Racca
Oct 08, 2008 Krystal Racca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans who vote
If you haven't already, listen to the author speak on Terry Gross's fresh air. It's an enlightening interview.

Marie
Oct 27, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah Palin/John McCain
Drill Baby Drill.

Spend baby spend.

Kill baby kill.
Jeanettedianne
Sep 17, 2010 Jeanettedianne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
An excellent topic but I am not a fan of how this author writes. the book is very dry and seems to drone on and on.
Toesnorth's mom
good, but more than one can retain
Elizabeth
As heard on the World Beyond the Headlines podcast.

I need to be careful, because my soon-to-be cousin-in-law works for the oil industry...
Dirk
Feb 19, 2010 Dirk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the best book about the oil industry I have read to date. I recommend it highly. Standard Oil is back and we need to break it up yet again asap. What a despicable bunch.
Saeed
Apr 11, 2010 Saeed added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To every one
تاريخ النفط وكيف تدار السياسه العالميه من خلال النفط. تتفاجأ باللتغير في القرارات السياسيه بين ليه وضحاها وتتساءل كيف أصبح عدو الأمس صديق اليوم والعكس ! إقرأ هذا الكتاب لتكتشف السر العظيم
Neil Adams
Neil Adams rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Sukanta Ghosh
Sukanta Ghosh rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Editingpansyhotmail.com
Editingpansyhotmail.com rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
May 27, 2011
Abhinav Kumar
Abhinav Kumar rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Emerson Kloss
Emerson Kloss rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Yew Siang
Yew Siang rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Tyranny of Oil 1 2 Dec 17, 2008 04:03AM
  • Untapped: The Scramble for Africa's Oil
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • The Global Class War: How America's Bipartisan Elite Lost Our Future - and What It Will Take to Win It Back
  • Forbes? Greatest Business Stories of All Time
  • The Battle for the Soul of Capitalism
  • The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Will Cause the Next Great Credit Crisis
  • The Climate War
  • A Thousand Barrels a Second: The Coming Oil Break Point and the Challenges Facing an Energy Dependent World
  • The Post Carbon Reader: Managing the 21st Century's Sustainability Crises
  • The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report: Final Report of the National Commission on the Causes of the Financial and Economic Crisis in the United States
  • Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth
  • Reflections on the Revolution In Europe: Immigration, Islam, and the West
  • The Liberal Hour: Washington and the Politics of Change in the 1960s
  • The Enemy of Nature: The End of Capitalism or the End of the World?
  • It Takes a Pillage: Behind the Bailouts, Bonuses, and Backroom Deals from Washington to Wall Street
  • Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-Lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today!
  • The Great Lakes Water Wars