Il Ribelle di Thendara

Il Ribelle di Thendara (Darkover #22)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,362 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Una misteriosa società di investimenti planetari, «I Distruttori di Mondi», ha messo gli occhi su Darkover. Solo il nobile Regis potrà salvare il pianeta del Sole Rosso.
Published 2003 by Tea (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Il Ribelle di Thendara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il Ribelle di Thendara

Ken
I've been reading Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels in order of publication, and if you've seen my fairly negative reviews of the last few, you may be wondering why I keep reading them. Well, before The World Wreckers, Marion Zimmer Bradley was wondering why she kept writing them. They hadn't sold well. She felt like she was repeating the same stories. She was ready to call it quits -- and then she found inspiration. (So she says in her introduction to this book.)

That inspiration shows he...more
Chuck
Continuing my Marmion Zimmer Bradley kick. She, by the way, created the0s world of Darkover while living in Abilene, Texas, a place where I also lived for 15 years. She is reputed to have maintained that living in Abilene was enough to make nearly anyone make up a preferable world to live in.

This is another of the early 70s books that's half SF half fantasy; a mysterious woman named Andrea has been hired to "world wreck," a highly illegal activity that involves creating instability on a planet...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. I have mixed feelings about this one. The last, chronologically, of the Darkover series, it comes about in the middle of the sequence of composition, and reflects Bradley's growing courage about and fascination with the implications of the telepathic mental union she has posited. And dealing with the implications of mental union involves, essentially, the nearest thing we mere humans have to it - that is, sex. This is a novel about sex, specifically about sex be...more
Valerie
I have the 1971 edition. It's of course not sensible to rebuke it for not incorporating the elements of later books. But the fact that it's quite late in Darkovan chronology (Regis Hastur is described as being 24, and Desideria Lanart-Storn is in her late 80s or early 90s) means that people who have read the books in order of internal chronology will find repeated inconsistencies. Can't be helped, of course, but it can be irritating.

The World Wreckers in the title are really almost irrelevant to...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Darkover Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Kenji
I'm a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but my affection for her rests not on the Avalon books, which I didn't care for, but her Darkover series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society. Ruled by a psychic aristocracy it is later rediscovered by a star-spanning high-tech human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. The series as a whole features strong female characters, but it has enough swashbuckling adventure to dr...more
Mike Smith
This is the sixth Darkover book Marion Zimmer Bradely wrote; it was published in 1971. This edition includes a new introduction written in 1979 by the author. She comments that she was at a low point in her career and wanted to kill off the Darkover series. So this story was an attempt to wrap up the major theme that had dominated Darkover novels to this point, which was the cultural tension between the feudal Darkovan society and the high-tech Terran Empire that wants to establish a foothold on...more
Contrarius
I have a deep and abiding love for this series...but I must admit that this is not my favorite Darkover book, for several reasons. A few examples:

First, there is little real action or conflict in this book. Despite the dramatic title, there is no ongoing struggle -- no concrete plan of action -- which saves the Good Guys from the Bad Guys. They are, instead, saved in large part by chance. Not exactly a good way to build narrative tension.

Second, I am as always a big fan of emotional drama -- but...more
Marcello Tarot
La storia dei chieri

Anche se nella cronologia interna di Darkover questo romanzo si colloca dopo L’EREDE DI HASTUR e L’ESILIO DI SHARRA, è stato scritto prima e, se si leggono i libri in ordine cronologico interno alla saga, si notano alcune discrepanze o, per meglio dire, si nota che alcuni concetti erano solo in nuce e che sono stati sviluppati successivamente – e con che maestria! – dall’autrice quando si dedicò alla scrittura degli altri due romanzi.
IL RIBELLE DI THENDARA presenta, più di R...more
Maddalena
Questi primi libri di Darkover (primi in ordine di pubblicazione, quasi ultimi all'interno della cronologia darkovana) sono parecchio differenti dagli ultimi, o meglio dai centrali (gli ultimi scritti da Marion Zimmer Bradley da sola, per intenderci): si sente che la maturità artistica della scrittrice non ha ancora raggiunto l'apice, e sono molto più fantascientifici rispetto ai successivi. Comunque una lettura interessante per chi ama la saga.
Cera
This is the 'last' Darkover book by some chronologies, detailing the events after The Sword of Aldones (which was rewritten much later into Sharra's Exile), with a fair amount of continuity between the two books. It depicts a last-ditch effort by some eager investors to force Darkover into the Terran Empire by means of a 'world wrecker' -- someone who will destroy the culture and economy of a planet sufficiently that it begs Terra for help, even at the price of autonomy. The book is rife with co...more
Christopher Sutch
Upon rereading, this novel is less interesting than I found it 25 years ago. The plotting and execution is shoddy and clumsy by turns, the interpersonal relationships too stereotyped, and the resolutions much, much to optimistic and easy. Much of this can be attributed to the editorial reluctance and interference at Ace Books, which objected to the subject matter. And some of the problems may also stem from Bradley's rush to write for the income (in just three or four years should would show inc...more
Joel Carlson
Bruce
I am not too fond of Darkover novels. They smack rather too much of mysticism and all the dark aspects of human nature, even among the good guys. This one is better than most, IMHO. Sadly it is rather too short to get one more than halfway across the continent so its value as a sky terror pacifier is limited.
Susan
Not one of the more memorable or well-loved Darkover novels, it is nonetheless pivotal in the Danvan/Regis timeline. I just think the whole psychic experiment was worthless time as it meant about squat in the continuing storyling.

Or maybe I just don't appreciate books where assassins target newborns.
Sharon
I read a lot of the Darkover novels while I lived in San Francisco. I don't really remember a lot of details of each one, but I liked the world in general. She handled psi powers in a believable way and created a really authentic culture.
Emily Dahl
I picked this one up at a book sale because I was curious to see what else MZB could do -- and I thought the concept (essentially, non-biological terraforming) was interesting. Unfortunately, there wasn't much about this book that I enjoyed.

John
1983 Grade B+. Book D14. Year 2140.

2013 Grade A-.

Becomes a bit to introspective at the end and I speed read as necessary but otherwise exceptional SciFi.
Largeprintbooklover
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Cole
It's rare for me to respond so strongly with a text, but I loved The World Wreckers. More to come later.
Nenia Campbell
after getting my fingers burned by mists of avalon, which sent me into a feminist rage., i was a little leery about embarking into the darkover series, despite all the good things about it i'd been reading. because those people had also endorsed avalon, and i did not like that book. at all. but i found the first couple books in the series at a garage sale and decided, "for fifty cents each? why not?" and you know what? i actually enjoyed it.

darkover is a pretty self-sustaining world. the darkova...more
Kalyn
Not one of the more sparkly ones, but another good filler.
Bad Tim
not my favorite darkover novel, but still a good read.
Deidre
the cover art hurts me...
Thierry
Thierry marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ari  P.
Ari P. marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
How should I go about reading the series!? 1 1 Jul 01, 2014 11:37AM
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress XXI
  • Shadow Man
  • The Last Planet (Central Control, #1)
  • Halfway Human
  • The Gray Prince
  • The Ginger Star (The Book of Skaith, #1)
  • Lost Dorsai (Childe Cycle, #6)
  • Volkhavaar
  • The Corridors of Time
  • Cuckoo's Egg (Age of Exploration, #3)
  • An Earthly Crown (Jaran, #2)
  • The Door into Sunset (Tale of the Five, #3)
  • The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)
  • The Starfollowers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #2)
  • The Wings of Pegasus (Omnibus: To Ride Pegasus \ Pegasus in Flight)
  • Promised Land
  • Märchenmonds Kinder (Märchenmond - Magic Moon, #2)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham...more
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) The Firebrand