Start by marking “L'ultimo eroe dei Drenai” as Want to Read:
L'ultimo eroe dei Drenai

L'ultimo eroe dei Drenai (The Drenai Saga #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  6,454 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Dopo secoli di eroica resistenza anche i Drenai hanno dovuto arrendersi davanti alla devastante potenza militare delle orde Narid e ora il loro paese langue sotto il tallone del nuovo e spietato Khan, Jungir, succeduto al leggendario Tenaka, che lui stesso ha avvelenato a tradimento. Tuttavia, nell’estremo nord, il piccolo regno di Gthir non è ancora
caduto sotto lo scettro
Paperback, Fantacollana #108, 302 pages
Published March 1992 by Editrice Nord (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about L'ultimo eroe dei Drenai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'ultimo eroe dei Drenai

Carmine
Sep 19, 2016 Carmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi hanno riversato nelle mani vino e cene, denaro e regali...ero sulla cima della montagna, ma lassù non c'era nulla.
Nulla. Soltanto nuvole.
Ho scoperto che non potevo vivere sulla montagna, ma quando essa ti getta giù... oh, come desideri di tornare in vetta! Ucciderei per poterla scalare ancora...venderei la mia anima...ed è così stupido

" Quest for lost heroes", tradotto in maniera tragica come "l'ultimo eroe dei drenai", è il quarto romanzo di Gemmel in ordine di pubblicazione, il nono seguend
Johnny
Feb 19, 2015 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quest for Lost Heroes is only the second fantasy novel by David Gemmell that I have read. I should probably read more. I remember the first one, Legend, as being realistic and gritty. Prior to my reading of Game of Thrones, I thought it captured the filth and stench of medieval life better than anything I had read. I liked the fact that Gemmell captured heroism without glorifying battle and that he didn’t oversimplify the quests of his protagonist(s) with nationalistic/racist slogans. His charac ...more
nikos
Ελαφρως κατωτερο των προηγουμενων κατα μισο αστερακι.Η μεταφρασμενη σειρα απο το επος των ντρεναι ειναι ενα εξαιρετικο δειγμα ηρωικης φαντασιας,που αξιζει να διαβαστει απο τους fantasy οπαδους!!!!!
Scott Rachui
Jun 04, 2013 Scott Rachui rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of fantasy books through the years. Recently, it seems the trend is toward endless series, each volume of which is the size of War and Peace. Refreshingly, Gemmell tells his stories in much fewer pages, and his stories end up being some of the most well-written in modern fantasy literature.

One thing I love about Gemmell is how his stories are all self-contained. They have definite endings and you can finish one, knowing you won't have a cliffhanger forcing you to rush out and b
David
Aug 21, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Talk about jumping into the middle of a series.. Okay, apparently, I read the first two books of this series a long time ago. However, I was able to jump into this one and not feel like I was missing anything. Really-- this was was almost a stand alone story.

I remember meeting the big axe wielding hero from the earlier books... so I was not completely lost. The big battle that made the guys our heroes was covered in those, but not reading them probably would not affect the reader too terribly.

On
Graham
Sep 03, 2012 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Did Gemmell ever write a bad book? I've made it my business to find out, and so far, so good. QUEST FOR LOST HEROES is another in his Drenai saga which began with the excellent LEGEND and shows no signs of slowing down at this stage.

As the title would imply, this book adopts a quest/journey narrative and casts a band of ageing one-were-heroes as its leads. The story is slight and the characters fill out the usual archetypes, but as usual Gemmell uses this background as a springboard for his two
Evgeny
Jul 16, 2013 Evgeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Nadir raiders captured young women from a small village. A young romantic man from this same village happened to be in love with one of them (it was a one-sided love). He set out on a hopeless quest to rescue his love. He was lucky as several great heroes who survived the last onslaught of Nadir hordes joined him out of sheer boredom - mostly. Still a few expert fighters do not make a task of finding a woman in vast Nadir steppes and getting out with her alive any easier. In fact, the compan ...more
Cameron
May 14, 2014 Cameron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drenai-saga
Another good, not mind blowing entry for the Drenai Series.

At this point, it seems that all of Gemmell's books (or atleast this series) are going to be fast paced, classical fantasy stories. He did change up the plot from the first two novels, as there was no main characters defending against a siege against all the odds, so that was nice.

These books remind me of the Redwall books from my childhood: Each book can be read as a stand alone, there are always descandants/relatives of characters from
Jayne
Dec 04, 2012 Jayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that I had read all of Gemmell's novels so it was a nice surprise to come across this one and discover that I hadn't. Especially since, I had no business buying this in the first place because we are moving and trying to divest ourselves of as many books as possible. But he's one of my favourite authors, and it was a buy one, get one free deal.... for 1 euro. Seriously, who could resist.

This one goes to the top of my Gemmell novels. He's good at writing about seemingly unlikeable chara
Guelfo Gilardoni De'Montalto
Forse 5 stelle sono esagerate... ma per me in questo momento li vale per le emozioni che mi ha dato. Gemmell rendi sempre tutto più bello.
Eduardo Schimitt
Mar 02, 2016 Eduardo Schimitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2016
As vezes eu me pergunto se o David Gemmell escreveu algum livro ruim.
Jen
Nov 04, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another awesome book from David Gemmell! This one isn't his best work, but it will do well enough.

This story fits in the time-line as a post-King Beyond the Gate time where Tenaka Khan actually succeeds in overthrowing the Drenai. It tells of a journey into Nadir territory, nominally to rescue a peasant girl, but it ends up being so much more.

There is an odd making of bed fellows where the peasant boy leading the quest for his kid-love manages to recruit a team of battle hardened warriors. T
LemLems
Jun 02, 2016 LemLems rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok I'm done with this guy. I've been slogging my way through the Drenai books without much enjoyment - because I foolishly bought them all in a sale before reading any of them. Aside from the repetitiveness, lopsided pacing and two dimensional characters one of my issues with the series has been the overuse and excusing of sexual violence and the threat of sexual violence against female characters - seriously, find a new plot device.
In this book however he surpasses himself with a scene of sexu
Wolfdan
Apr 12, 2015 Wolfdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pal
Kiall aime Ravenna. Mais elle l'a rejeté, le trouvant par trop rêveur. Mais un jour elle est enlevé par des bandits et Kiall se lance à ses trousses. Il n'a rien d'héroique chez lui mais il se dit guidé par l'amour. S'entourant des héros qui ont résisté au siège de Bel-Azar, il va donc partir accomplir son destin.
C'est une histoire dure, où les héros sont dépeint de manière moins noble. Ils sont plus cyniques, vulgaires et crasseux que d'autres. Mais ils ont néanmoins eux-aussi quelque chose à
DemetraP
This was a great epic fantasy. You have to read the books in order though. The author refers to a lot of previous events and does not explain them for new readers.

The hero wants to rescue a woman who was kidnapped from his village by slavers. He's in love with her.

Along the way, he stumbles into a legendary band of former heroes (from the legendary battle of Bel-azar) who agree to help him rescue her.

A quest full of adventure, hardship, friendship, and action.

Note: The epilogue to this book w
by Ax
Dec 30, 2015 by Ax rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
E ingiustizia fu

Un'ingiustizia e una donna sono la scintilla che alimenta l'orgoglio di un ragazzo, disposto a tutto pur di porvi rimedio e spinto dall'irrefrenabile forza dell'Amore — o dall'idea che di esso si è costruito. E così, aiutato da una manciata di personaggi affiancatogli dal destino, uomini alla ricerca di un riscatto personale, si imbarca in un'avventura dall'improbabile risultato.

Scritta così assomiglia alla solita Compagnia in cerca dell'oggetto di turno. In fondo lo è, ma senza
Joey Cruz
Jul 02, 2016 Joey Cruz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-fantasy
The first heroic fantasy novel I ever read, given to me by my 9th grade history teacher who was getting rid of a bunch of old books. I wish I could go back and thank Mrs. Yaeger for that. This book was instrumental in turning me into the fantasy fan I am today. Really want to go back and read it again, but it's in a box back at my father's place.

It was the perfect story for a 15 year old mind curious about fantasy and looking to learn more.
Arckhangelos
Jan 29, 2015 Arckhangelos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
French review of this book :
Todd
Nov 18, 2012 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I greatly enjoy that Gemmell writes about aging heroes. Gemmell seems to have stepped away from his usual focus on the Thirty's good vs. evil battles. This is a fun story and well worth reading.
Nate
Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4), David Gemmell
Ian Banks
Dec 08, 2016 Ian Banks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"What can we do?"

Okas shrugged. "We can defend the child."

"Can we succeed?"

"No, Chareos. But when has that ever been important?"

If you've read Tolkien's The Silmarillion you might have felt the same sense of shock as I did that the epic story of Frodo, the ring and the return of the king was summarised in just a few paragraphs that gave the barest details of that mighty quest but placed it firmly in its place as an important but minor episode in the history of Middle-Earth.

Something similar happ

Eulercauchy
Nov 23, 2016 Eulercauchy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a good day whenever I get to read David Gemmell. This book still had a bit of surprises and wasn't nearly as grimdark as some of his others. This was so very enjoyable. I'll probably have to go back for more.
Dustman
Sep 23, 2016 Dustman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dustman
Grrrrrrrrr eat!!!!!!
Imran Ali
Sep 21, 2016 Imran Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Drenai adventures. Fantastic.
Ben Emery
Reading Gemmell is like returning home. The familiar Drenai folklore, history and locations are comforting, and it is a testament to Gemmell's world building that you can easily immerse yourself within it once more.

Though I did not find this particular novel to be one of his best, I enjoyed it regardless, evident in the fact I finished it so quickly. The story is fluid and interesting, and tied in well with my pre-existing knowledge of Gemmell's world.

On a more critical note, there are an uncom
Voyageurgalactique95
La quête des héros perdus, plus qu'un divertissement, est un roman reflechissant sur la gloire passée et le sens a la vie que l'on peut tenter d avoir pour remédier a un passé lourd, pesant, violent qui ne prive pas son lecteur d'action et de péripéties.

Le cadre change encore, et nous sommes en exclusivité en dehors des terres drenaï. Mais aucune innovation n'est constatée si ce n'est le contexte. Mais l'ensemble ne manque toujours pas de richesse.
15,5/20
Une intrigue sublime aux themes forts, au
Jerreb
Aug 28, 2015 Jerreb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It's interesting. I picked up this book at a used book store and after doing some online research saw that it received good reviews and had Gay secondary characters in it - so I bought it. I had never heard of the book or the author so I was pretty much going in blind. And I'm very glad I did.

By today's standards, I'm not sure how this book would hold up. The gay characters are never out & out named as such, but it is very clear through several scenes that they are a couple and very much in
Xiep
Apr 20, 2016 Xiep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4t llibre de la Saga Drenai. Un cop deixat a banda a en Waylander, ara ens introdueixen a "Druss el Axero". Tot i que aquest llibres no és el primer en l'ordre que en David Gemmell va escriure la saga d'en Druss, cronològicament és el primer. Aquí se'ns explica com es forja aquest heroi.

No deixant mai de banda l'estil purament humanitzador de l'heroi, i sempre fregant les fronteres entre l'heroi o l'anti heroi... Gemmell crea la Llegenda mitjançant aquest primer volum.
Al començar tenia por de
  • Le prophète blanc (L'assassin royal, #7)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • Monument
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #3)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)