Start by marking “Il quarto sacrificio (China Thrillers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Il quarto sacrificio (China Thrillers, #2)

Il quarto sacrificio (The China Thrillers #2)

La città di Pechino è sconvolta da una serie di atroci omicidi. Ogni vittima porta al collo un cartello numerato in ordine decrescente. Le vittime hanno in comune solo l'età, cinquant'anni, e la frequentazione, in gioventù, della stessa scuola superiore. L'ultima vittima è stato Yuan Tao, un diplomatico con passaporto americano. Il detective Li Yan con la patologa Margaret ...more
Hardcover, Maestri del Thriller, 381 pages
Published 2004 by Piemme (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Il quarto sacrificio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il quarto sacrificio

Paromjit
This is the second of the China series by Peter May. This is an engaging crime thriller set primarily in Beijing. There is a great sense of location, with descriptions that make you feel as if you are right there. A major plus for me was the archaeology, history and culture of China, from ancient, the Terracotta Army, the more recent such as the Cultural Revolution and the Red Guards, to the present in terms of cultural references to the Single Child Policy by presenting how it affects the chara ...more
Gary
Jul 18, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book in the series 'The China Thrillers' by the talented author Peter May.
I have always enjoyed the writing of Peter May and find his novels full of well developed characters that come to life on the page. I am enjoying this series for the same reason but also for the insight into China and its culture. The book is well written with a decent plot but there is so much more to it with the relationships between the main characters and the ongoing sub plots.
Margaret Campbell is a Chi
Siobhan
Aug 22, 2016 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fourth Sacrifice is the second of Peter May’s China Thrillers. Upon finishing The Firemaker, the first, I concluded it was another series I would need to follow. After finishing this one, I’m more than a little bit excited to get my hands on the rest of the series. I’m well and truly addicted, pulled into the series and desperate to see where things will go.

You see, Peter May has been a favourite author since I picked up his Lewis trilogy. The Lewis trilogy will always be my favourite of his
LJ
THE FOURTH SACRIFICE (Police Procedural-Li Yan/Margaret Campbell-China-Cont) – Good
May, Peter – 2nd in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 1999, UK Hardcover- ISBN: 9780423364649
First Sentence: By now he knows he is going to die.
*** Chicago forensic pathologist is anxious to leave Beijing and the Chinese policeman with whom she fell in love but hasn’t heard from since their return to the city when she is asked by the American Ambassador to perform an autopsy on an American state department employee found
Zuzana
Aug 09, 2015 Zuzana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trošku se mi nechce udělovat hvězdičky. Už u předchozího dílu jsem měla pocit, že čtu úplně blbou knížku, ale čtu ji s obrovskou chutí.
Kdyby se Rosamunde Pilcher rozhodla psát romantické detektivky, nesahala by v tomto oboru Mayovi ani po kotníky. Normálně jsem mu to sežrala tak, jako naposledy Stanislavu Rudolfovi (později už byla červená knihovna pod moji vysokou úroveň;)). Mlátila jsem se v tom spolu s Margaret jako za mlada :)

Dál jsem se toho opět dozvěděla docela dost o Číně, tentokrát by
Patrick Zandl
Aug 17, 2015 Patrick Zandl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Já jsem byl spokojen. Knihu teda je třeba brát spíše jako dobrého průvodce kusem čínské historie, dozvíte se hodně o terekotové armádě i prvním císaři a sjednotiteli, dozvíte se pár detailů o kulturní revoluci a to hodně nenásilnou formou, takže jestli máte rádi takovéhle pozadí, kniha vás potěší. Jako detektivka to není žádný velký šlágr, ale na historizujícím pozadí to neurazí, namakaného detektivkáře ale ani nenadchne...
Wendy Carlyle
Jul 28, 2016 Wendy Carlyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a Peter May and his thrillers set in China do not disappoint. I learned a great deal about the Terracotta Warriors, the single child policy, life under Mao and Chinese formal protocols in between enjoying the sparring between Margaret and Li Yan as they attempted to solve the gruesome deaths of several ex school chums, and the ending was a surprise! Looking forward to the next one!
Susana789
Slušne vystavané, exotika terrakotovej armády zabrala, výstava bola putovná :-). Ale keď hlavný zločinec bol taký predvídateľný :-(.
Vanessa Aizenberg
Jun 13, 2017 Vanessa Aizenberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy with this book I thought I had the book figured out but Peter May!! He totally surprised me! Wonderful and cannot wait to get book number 3
Hamid
Aug 13, 2013 Hamid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walking into this novel, I was warned 'It's worse than the first one'. I'd just written a withering review for it, so it was with some trepidation I approached the second in the series and I'm glad to say it's significantly better than the first effort, which was cloy, ridiculous, unlikeable and predictable. Here, May has toned down the ridiculous - think Independence Day versus National Treasure - and managed to drive a suspense-filled plot that doesn't reveal everything right at the opening.

Th
Michal Hanke
Mé druhé rande s Mayovou sérií čínských thrillerů dopadlo úplně stejně jako to předchozí.

Slečna vás naláká na exotický šarm, není úplně hloupá a společně strávený čas vám příjemně utíká. Zhruba v polovině vám ale dojde, že s ní jste hlavně pro to krásné (historické) pozadí. Slečna je trochu povrchní a snadno prokouknete o co jí jde. Žádná rafinovanost, ani hloubka. Naštěstí nenudí, jen jí chvíli trvá, než vás nakonec "nečekaně" pozve ještě k sobě na skleničku... a tam se ukáže, že si přece jen
Pat
Apr 22, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, library
Review? Someday, sometime. Book #2 in the China thrillers by Peter May. I'm really enjoying this series. Think of it as "Bones" but in China with Dr Temperance Brennan and a Chinese detective Booth.
Tony Nielsen
Dec 29, 2016 Tony Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the last few days I've read the first three Peter May "China" crime thrillers which are being reissued in January. While I did read them out of order in that I read the third one first, I have enjoyed all three. The Fourth Sacrifice is the second of the series of six titles and finds Beijing detective Li Yan and American forensic pathologist estranged after their whirlwind romance in the previous book.

But every time that Margaret makes plans to get out of China as soon as she can, devastate
Lee
May 03, 2017 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very good!. This is Peter May's second book in the China series and one I should have picked up long ago. Margaret Campbell is in love with Detective Li Yan but this relationship seems doomed as they are co-workers and these kind of relationships are frowned upon by the hierarchy above. A case regarding a beheading will change all of this as the two are thrown back together again to investigate a very gruesome crime. This is a well developed story with a great plot, brilliant writing, very ...more
Dave Hay
Took my time reading this book, but the plot is not completed, and even after long breaks in reading, the story was easy to pick up again. Always like reading books set out of the norm ( Usa, london) and this series does bring back reminiscent memories of Beijing. Still apart from the setting, not too much to stand out from the crowd. Preferred the first book.
P V Sanders
Jun 23, 2017 P V Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant novel

A superb continuation of the first novel in the series developing the characters. A terrific story with another explosive ending. A must read
Ales
Jun 06, 2017 Ales rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Skoro cervena knihovna, nuda..
Euskobelga
Feb 10, 2017 Euskobelga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encore mieux que le premier, j'adore !
Birgitte Bach
Mar 24, 2017 Birgitte Bach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
God underholdning, som jeg nød rigtig meget på trods af det meget åbenlyse plottwist til sidst. Men hold da op sikke en cliffhanger...Godt jeg har tredje bog lige klar til at fortsætte med!
Gaynor Thomas
Mar 12, 2017 Gaynor Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good follow on to The Firemaker, continuing the story of American pathologist Margaret Campbell and Chinese detective Li Yan as they attempt to solve a series of gruesome murders while struggling with their forbidden feelings for each other. This series of books are redolent with the sights and sounds of China and I learned a lot about the cultural history of the country. Alongside that there is an exciting detective story and the building romantic tensions between Margaret and Li. I am l ...more
Jo-anne Atkinson
Sep 24, 2016 Jo-anne Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Li Yan has been told that he must end his relationship with Margaret Campbell and to distract him he is involved in the investigation of a gruesome series of beheadings. Margaret is keen to leave Beijing but when an American citizen becomes the fourth victim of the beheadings she is asked to stay by the American Embassy. Her investigations show that the fourth victim was the perpetrator of the previous three attacks, so why was he killed, and by whom? Meanwhile glamorous TV historian Michael Zim ...more
Linda
Jul 28, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might change the rating on this book, the Fourth Sacrifice, if I can get used to the narrator. She's called Laurence Bouvard, and most of her 'voices' are high-pitched and squeaky, even most of the male voices. I do wish Peter Forbes had narrated it. :(

Anyway, I'll be back to review the actual book (very good, so far) once I've finished. So far, however, based on the narration only, I wouldn't recommend the audio version.

EDITED:

Well, I did change the rating, from 3* down to 2*, and I couldn
Shotgun
Jun 12, 2016 Shotgun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Čtvrtá oběť je druhým dílem ze série Čínských thrillerů od Petera Maye a platí o ní více méně to samé, co se dalo říci už o Pánovi ohně (což je pilot této série).
Takže lze konstatovat, že geniality knih z trilogie z ostrova Lewis nedosahuje ale přesto jde určitě o nadprůměrné detektivky z atraktivního prostředí. Opět se dozvíme spoustu zajímavých informací ze současné Číny i z doby nedávno minulé.
Většinu postav, které jsme si oblíbili v minulém díle, najdeme i zde. Hlavní hrdinka prožívá svůj p
John Bunge
Feb 19, 2017 John Bunge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale of a serial killer in Beijing, with the involvement of a forensic pathologist from the US. A good portrait of life in China. I need to read the first book in this series.
Breakaway Reviewers
Don't lose your head over this murder in Beijing

It seems that at the moment we are getting a lot of literature set in China, and this is not a bad thing, as most of them are very well written, have sympathetic characters, the blackest of villains and stonking good plots!

This novel from Peter May is no exception. It captures the reader's attention from the first word of the Prologue, where we are treated to a gruesome murder! And it isn't the last!!

Margaret is an American Forensic Pathologist who
Aya
Jul 24, 2015 Aya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Přiznám se k jedné věci. Petera Maye jsem si jako autora vlastně neoblíbila, protože zejména jeho nejoceňovanější díla se mi nelíbí. Tohle je v podstatě prvotina. První díl čínských thrillerů, Pán ohně, měl perfektní začátek, skvělé uvedení do čínských reálií a totálně zpackaný konec. Čtvrtá oběť má charakteristiku opačnou.

Čínské reálie již známe, novou informací pro mě byla situace kolem politiky jednoho dítěte a na můj vkus poněkud delší termín pro provedení potratu. Margaret je už z Pekingu o
Rodrigo Acuna
Aug 10, 2015 Rodrigo Acuna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Women hold up half the sky. Mao Zedong"

Again a fascinating look at China its history and culture, within the parameters of a very entertaining thriller that delivers one more time.

Margaret has not left Beijing, she stayed behind to help with the last case, then a chinese american is murdered and she is requested by the american embassy to help in the investigation. Exposing her to the Terracotta Army, and the consequences of the Chinese Cultural Revolution that took place from 1966 until 1976.
Bev Taylor
Nov 09, 2016 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
set the other side of the world for this author - china!

the chinese police have been forced to use the services of margaret, a forensic pathologist, to conduct the autopsy on man who was beheaded. he was an american

h/e there were 3 other men killed in the same manner - what is the connection, who would do it and why?

she is jointed by detective li, who was her lover which rather complicates matters. he is determined to get to the truth but has also his own personal problems to resolve

throw in
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • Chameleon (Stephanie Patrick #2)
  • The Samurai's Daughter
  • The Messengers of Death
  • The Cutout
  • A.K.A. Jane (Jane Nichols, #1)
  • Cold Justice (Kali O'Brien, #5)
  • Tracking Time (April Woo, #6)
  • The Jasmine Trade (Eve Diamond Mystery, #1)
  • Mesmerized
  • The Bird Yard
  • Flash House
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • Dervish is Digital (Artificial Reality Division, #2)

The China Thrillers (7 books)
  • The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)
  • The Killing Room (China Thrillers, #3)
  • Snakehead (China Thrillers, #4)
  • The Runner (China Thrillers, #5)
  • Chinese Whispers (China Thrillers, #6)
  • The Ghost Marriage (China Thrillers, #7)