Start by marking “Il quarto sacrificio (China Thrillers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Il quarto sacrificio (China Thrillers, #2)

Il quarto sacrificio (The China Thrillers #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  24 reviews
La città di Pechino è sconvolta da una serie di atroci omicidi. Ogni vittima porta al collo un cartello numerato in ordine decrescente. Le vittime hanno in comune solo l'età, cinquant'anni, e la frequentazione, in gioventù, della stessa scuola superiore. L'ultima vittima è stato Yuan Tao, un diplomatico con passaporto americano. Il detective Li Yan con la patologa Margaret...more
Hardcover, Maestri del Thriller, 381 pages
Published 2004 by Piemme (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Il quarto sacrificio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il quarto sacrificio

LJ
THE FOURTH SACRIFICE (Police Procedural-Li Yan/Margaret Campbell-China-Cont) – Good
May, Peter – 2nd in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 1999, UK Hardcover- ISBN: 9780423364649
First Sentence: By now he knows he is going to die.
*** Chicago forensic pathologist is anxious to leave Beijing and the Chinese policeman with whom she fell in love but hasn’t heard from since their return to the city when she is asked by the American Ambassador to perform an autopsy on an American state department employee found...more
Hamid
Walking into this novel, I was warned 'It's worse than the first one'. I'd just written a withering review for it, so it was with some trepidation I approached the second in the series and I'm glad to say it's significantly better than the first effort, which was cloy, ridiculous, unlikeable and predictable. Here, May has toned down the ridiculous - think Independence Day versus National Treasure - and managed to drive a suspense-filled plot that doesn't reveal everything right at the opening.

Th...more
Shona
An interesting crime writer - this story is based in China and provides you with an insight into life there, past and present. Apparently he is the only crime writer to have been accepted into the Chinese crime writer's association and as such he must be pretty accurate with his portrayal of Chinese life. Although the book was not what I would call a gripping page turner - the storyline did keep me engaged and quality wise - it was in my mind, of a much higher standard than much of today's crime...more
Wyma
Being dropped into the middle of someone's story is sometimes more interesting than reading a series in order. I hadn't read the first in this group though I probably will now that my curiousity has been aroused.

This is a good read. The only quibble I have with May is his rather lengthy invoolvement in whatever setting he involves his characters and that he obviously gives leading questions to an otherwise quite intelligent leading lady.

A forensic pathologist working in China with a Chinese pol...more
John Free
Loving reading this Author. I lived in China for a few years and it feels great!
Mari
Absolutely fascinating! Love almost all of Peter May's books!!!
크리스티
I do have to say this book had me hooked mainly because of all the Chinese history that Peter May put in there. The mystery was a sub-plot to me when I was reading it...just a "reason" to have the two together. I like how all the characters are put out in the open and you get to guess who the killer it...the "killer" totally suprised me...I was thinking someone else and then BAM...I was like...wait WHAT?! NOO! The ending was left open for I hope his next book so I'm looking forward to seeing wha...more
Séamas
Potrebbe essere migliore.
Lorin Cary
Detective Li and Margaret Campbell return in the second of May's fascinating mysteries set in present-day China. Aside from being a compelling and tense story, this is a wonderful portrayal of a society in transition. May's journalistic experience and training are evident as he seamlessly meshes vivid descriptions and brief historical forays without once having me shout "reader feeder!"---gracefully done, I thought. Li and Campbell battle one another amid conflicting evidence and emotions. Kept...more
Lis
I enjoyed this one better than the first one in the China series (even though I guessed most of the ending.) Published in 1999, some parts seem out of date now (for example, Margaret by default using the Alta Vista search engine - Google was not much yet, I guess!) And the Beijing depicted still had a lot of people using bicycles, whereas more recently there are more cars.
The plot was somewhat overblown and cliched - but it kept me reading and enjoying it.
Rosemary
any book that keeps me up until 1 am to finish is pretty amazing! This was the sequel to The Firemaker and another enjoyable tour through Beijing (and Xi'an). There are four more books in this series (The China Thriller series) by May, although since it looks like the next one is set in Texas but presumably featuring the same duo as leads).
Nicki
I really enjoyed this second book in the China Thriller series. Great plot with believable characters and of course the really interesting China setting. I was hooked from the beginning wanting to find out who the murderer was, and what was going to happen between Margaret and Li. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Kathleen
I read this sequel to May's Firemaker because I really enjoyed learning about modern day China and because the interaction between the American pathologist and Chinese detective was quite good. While May certainly does rely on some coincidence to help solve the mystery, he still tells a good tale
Dayle
I did really like it but it almost reads like a translation, I presume it was written in English although Peter May apparently lives in France. There are some strange word usage...like "The lock's burst," and he "drew a look"..
Jeanne Mixon
The characters are two dimensional and the dialogue is clunky, but you don't notice them so much because the book is more about the history of the Chinese people than about a murder mystery so I really liked it.
Alice
Enjoyed the mystery but way too many details of Chinese life. Could have been better edited.
Ann
I enjoyed being back in Margaret & Li's world again but the story didn't flow for as we'll as The Firemaker. Still, a good read with interesting parts about Xian & the terra cotta warriors.
Carol Carlson
I am enjoying this series very much. The characters seem real and the differences in cultures is interesting. I'll continue reading this series.
Kenny
This is the second in the series that I have read. Great mystery and great background on China and Chinese cultural mores.
Zanna Evans
Good read. The best thing about these series is the trip through China, gives u a real sense of the place.
Alan Dunsmore
Thoroughly enjoyable book. Glad to have found this series of books. Roll on the next one!
Rejane
Even better than the first one! Anxious to read what follows...
Gabriella
Predictable, but definitely worth the read.
Cheri
Intriguing excellent historical background
Elise520
Elise520 marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1) The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy, #2) The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3) Entry Island The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)