Start by marking “Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body” as Want to Read:
Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body

Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body (Skullkickers #1)

Two nameless mercenaries are mashing monsters and making a name for themselves. Image's new hit fantasy action-comedy series has gone through multiple printings of each issue released so far and is getting rave reviews from readers and critics alike. Pick up the first collection and find out what all the excitement is about.

Collects SKULLKICKERS #1-5 and the short stories

Published March 22nd 2011 by Image Comics (first published January 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Skullkickers Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skullkickers Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Feb 10, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Set in fantasyland (think your standard D&D/Word of Warcraft landscape) where your fantasy comes true if you've ever wanted to live in Game of Thrones, a prince is assassinated and his body stolen by a necromancer. The kingdom hires a pair of bounty hunters – a nameless dwarf and barbarian – to bring his body back for burial but things don’t go quite according to plan and soon they have a zombie apocalypse on their hands!

Skullkickers is a light-hearted take on the fantasy genre, mixing in hu
Cheese
Sep 07, 2016 Cheese rated it liked it
:( Sad face!

I really liked the look of this, but alas it has not hooked me.

It has a lot of potential, but it just falls flat in the end.
Ambs ❤❤
I wanted to love this, I really did. There was so much potential - blood, grit, sarcasm, and skull kicking, but it just fell flat. I blame it on the artwork. Don't get me wrong, I thought the graphics were great, but the two anti-heroes, "Baldy" and "Shorty" were too comical. I know, I know, this was supposed to be a witty, action-packed, drama, but it was too cartoon-ish.

I was expecting this . . .
description
(these were from the original short stories 2 Copper Pieces and Gotcha)

What we got was this . . .
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Nov 02, 2014 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

A couple of unnamed mercs take on a mission to recover a royal corpse 'deadified' by assassination.

This first volume of Skullkickers gives us a taste of great things to come! There are Goblins, busty merchant women, Undead zombie beasties, and giant gooey looking monster types! Throw in an angry Dwarf mercenary with a big, bald, gun-shooting companion and you got yourself a story!

I mean really...what more do you need outta a comic book?

Also, the pictures in this book are pretty freaking awesome
Aramis
Apr 26, 2012 Aramis rated it really liked it
The kind of story that the word "romp" was invented to describe. These two skullkickers inhabit a world that feels like a cartoonier, darkly funnier Lankhmar. If you love Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser (if you are my friend you'd damn well better) then you'll enjoy this goofy romp (see!) through a world of sword and sorcery that is smart and funny in a way that acknowledges where its roots are without being too jokey and navel-gazing to enjoy on its own merits.
Emma Darcy
Nov 21, 2016 Emma Darcy rated it it was ok
I thought this would be the boy equivalent of rat queens and I was wrong.

the art work is a bit dodgy and the writing is Meh. There are pages of fights where it's just argh plorp splat bloosh and that can be funny but I guess skullkickers just isn't for me.
Jolene
Oct 25, 2016 Jolene rated it liked it
yeah the title pretty much sums up what this is about lol. Fun romp into testosterine filled teenage boy wet dream type of action. Great fun but no real substance; which is great and sometimes it's what you need.
Bryn
Jan 05, 2017 Bryn rated it it was ok
Thud and blunder and boredom.

I see what they were trying to do, but the action was hard to follow and the humor was nearly nonexistent. The two bonus stories at the end had much more promise than the main adventure and I wish they had kept that art style throughout.
Holly Geez
Jan 03, 2017 Holly Geez rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Meh. Might get volume 2.
Aim2me
Oct 01, 2016 Aim2me rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fantasy
The comic has a very light tone, bringing humour into even the bloodier scenes. Most of the funny lines are delivered by the main characters: one of them a big, bald, pistol-armed adventurer and the other a short, temperamental axe-wielding dwarf.

The first story arc sees them an a mission to recover the corpse of an assassinated chancellor. They have to wade through a score of enemies along the way: resurrected zombies, highwaymen, a huge blue monster.

There is little in the way of a unique univ
Ryan Tandy
Jun 02, 2014 Ryan Tandy rated it really liked it
Book titles can often be a mixed bag when referring to content. Some, such as Gulliver’s Travels or A Passage to India, are fairly self explanatory and hint at what you can expect to find within its pages. Others are slightly more obscure, and will force you to actually read the thing before you can work out what’s going on. But when you pick up a book called Skull Kickers, you can probably go ahead and assume it’s not going to be an essay on Ghandi’s ideas of non violent protest.

While the stor
Gabrielle
Apr 14, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
For me this was an amazing read, a true comicbook with adventure, comedic buddy type scenario and classic fantasy setting paying homage to Dungeons and Dragons without going too complicated with the world building. The original one shots included in this volume was more matured in its comedic take, so when they toned it down the comedic atmosphere/feel of the book never left. Jim Zubkavich did an outstanding job writing this book without going too far with the worldbuilding, also if you are fami ...more
Scott Lee
Feb 19, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Fantasy art, fantastic send-up of Conan/D&D style mayhem, and wonderfully brazen self-interest on the part of these anti-heroes. Dark, pitch-black humor, but if you go in expecting it its hilarious. And it definitely doesn't take itself too seriously, a danger of fantasy--often the story takes itself way more serious than the reader is able to make him/her self take it. Not the case here. It's just absolutely hilarious.

I do the team had chosen to go with the "more rendered" look o
William Thomas
Jul 17, 2011 William Thomas rated it really liked it
Holy f&$k, I love this book.

It's really nothing more than a satire of all the epic questing ever done in D&D, video games, and sword-and-sorcery books. And even though it is a satire, the entire time I was reading it, I was caught up in it's own story and seeing the book as a completely separate entity, not only as a sum of all other parts. It's like the reason you watch the Venture Brothers- you want to see how they spoof and poke fun at everything you grew up on and still to this day l
Mark Schlatter
Jul 18, 2012 Mark Schlatter rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars....

I'd heard about this humorous sword and sorcery title from Image and thought I'd give it a try. The humor here is not in the Terry Pratchett or Phil Foglio direction. As the title indicates, it's more in the "bust heads and laugh" direction. There's some funny bits with explicit sound effects (e.g., "Wham-age!") and subtitles for an enemy with a punched up mouth (so the word balloons say "Mf Bu Du!" but we get a translation), but nothing that got to gut-busting humor. I fo
Randy
Jan 05, 2016 Randy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
The dwarf and the big, bald guy have their hands full with seeking to return the body of the Chancellor to his people. They interrupt a demonic rite, and end up having to flee before an attacking zombie horde. These two adventurers have their work cut out for them.

I picked this book up because it has been waiting in a list for me to read for some time now. It was first recommended by the people at The Beguiling, (the comic store from which I buy most of my graphic novels).

I finished it because i
Bill
Jan 22, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, graphic
Heh. Heh heh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This reminds me SO much of playing D&D and harshing on my friends it's not even funny. I mean, it is funny. But. You know what I mean.
The banter between Shorty and Baldy is pitch-perfect, and the carnage is absolutely delightful. A wonderful marriage of writing and art that puts you right in the melee with the ghouls and goblins, but never takes itself too seriously. I'll be reading more of these for sure.
LSWebb
May 23, 2016 LSWebb rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read the first two chapters yesterday, and at that point it was only getting 2.5-3 stars. Too cliche, and not doing enough to make the cliche feel like it earns itself. But after chapter 2, it picks up quite a lot and gets much more interested. I'm still not a fan of the main characters not being named yet, but I love the art and the story seems like it's going somewhere. I hope it improves, but I did enjoy my time with it decently enough.
Andrew Kline
Aug 07, 2013 Andrew Kline rated it it was amazing
Ha! This comic is awesome. Minimal story, little (if any) character development, no love interest (yet?), just two brutes kicking skulls. Plenty of humor, excellent art, and very literal onomatopoeias. The story is by no means simplistic, but don't expect any deep, meaningful conversations as the two companions ride through the desert or a crisis of faith as one of them is about to be devoured. Just enjoy it for what it is, 'cause it's good!
Christiane
Jul 03, 2012 Christiane rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Sometimes you just want to read something full of action and violence and with no redeeming virtues at all. This book is perfect! Two unnamed mercenaries exchange witty banter while attempting to recover a dead body and inflicting as much bodily damage as possible. This was a nice break from the sweet children’s comics I normally read!
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 29, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
This book has a really rough start. It's almost all dull fighting and for some reason the fighting sequences are drawn in a very murky style that's hard to interpret. Things pick up in the last few issues when there's some of the long-promised comedy and an increasingly smirk-worthy use of onomatopoeia — but it wasn't enough to enthuse me about continuing on with the next volume.
David
May 06, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A World of Warcraft-ish parody and buddy adventure filled with slapstick comedy, epic sound effects and lots of violence. In terms of the story there was nothing particularly exciting or new here, so I'm afraid it didn't leave me wanting more. Most of my enjoyment was derived from Edwin Huang's frankly jaw-dropping art.

2 stars for the story, 5 for the art, so I'm calling 3 and a half stars.
Dudley Danes
Jan 27, 2013 Dudley Danes rated it really liked it
Fantastically gratuitous and fun in every way. It would be difficult to better describe this graphic novel any better than those before me so I'll just add to it. Mindless comedy violence, ass [skull] kicking heroes and no need to explain a thing. This was the great fun that roughly 99% of comics TRY to pull off and don't.
Mar 23, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
Overall an entirely forgettable action adventure story about a mercenary dwarf and a bald dude that beat up a lot of people. It had a lot of action but still managed to bore me. I could see this kind of thing appealing to a certain type of GN reader, particularly one who really likes WOW, but it really did nothing for me.
Lauren Sparks
Oct 11, 2013 Lauren Sparks rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! The story is funny, the characters all function perfectly in their personalities and visual design that they don't even need names.

My only complaint is that the binding started falling apart the second time I opened it. Get a new binder Image Comics, this book deserves it.
J.
Jun 18, 2014 J. rated it really liked it
A comic that manages to pay real homage to the sword-and-sorcery genre while being actually funny? I haven't seen that in quite a while. (Since Cerebus, I think.) A great, very goofy story playing on fantasy tropes with a great sense of humor, and some delightful art. I was having so much fun, I didn't want to stop. Certainly not for the overly serious.
Jessica
Mar 26, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
That was great! It was full of fun spirited action. It made me laugh and it kept me entertained which was exactly what I needed.

I loved the art work too. The scenes were split dynamically and used some overlapping elements my aesthetic eye appreciated. I can't wait to see what my favorite dynamic duo will get up to next.
Phil
May 04, 2015 Phil rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I've been looking for a comedic fantasy series to read while waiting for the second Rat Queens volume to arrive, and Skullkickers had a lot of the same flavor. I look forward to reading subsequent volumes.
Logan
Jun 07, 2016 Logan rated it it was ok
Art was good. Setting and plot too cliche. Unfortunately, the humor, which was supposed to be this book's biggest draw, wasn't great. It's been awhile since I read this one, but nothing sunk in. So sad to see yet another highly praised book turn out to be a dud.
  • Orc Stain, Vol. 1
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities
  • Dawn Land
  • The Legend of Luther Strode
Jim Zub is a writer, artist and art instructor based in Toronto, Canada. Over the past ten years he’s worked for a diverse array of publishing, movie and video game clients including Disney, Warner Bros., Capcom, Hasbro, Bandai-Namco and Mattel.

He juggles his time between being a freelance comic writer and Program Coordinator for Seneca College‘s award-winning Animation program.
More about Jim Zub...