Start by marking “Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body” as Want to Read:
Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body

Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body (Skullkickers #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Two nameless mercenaries are mashing monsters and making a name for themselves. Image's new hit fantasy action-comedy series has gone through multiple printings of each issue released so far and is getting rave reviews from readers and critics alike. Pick up the first collection and find out what all the excitement is about.

Collects SKULLKICKERS #1-5 and the short stories

Published March 22nd 2011 by Image Comics (first published January 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Skullkickers Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skullkickers Vol. 1

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanScott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'MalleyBone by Jeff SmithFlutter, Vol. 1 by Jennie WoodFun Home by Alison Bechdel
Best Independent Graphic Novels.
39th out of 214 books — 171 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanBatman by Alan MooreThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanRunaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. VaughanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman
Comics I Recommend Highly
113th out of 149 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam Quixote
Set in fantasyland (think your standard D&D/Word of Warcraft landscape) where your fantasy comes true if you've ever wanted to live in Game of Thrones, a prince is assassinated and his body stolen by a necromancer. The kingdom hires a pair of bounty hunters – a nameless dwarf and barbarian – to bring his body back for burial but things don’t go quite according to plan and soon they have a zombie apocalypse on their hands!

Skullkickers is a light-hearted take on the fantasy genre, mixing in hu
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)

A couple of unnamed mercs take on a mission to recover a royal corpse 'deadified' by assassination.

This first volume of Skullkickers gives us a taste of great things to come! There are Goblins, busty merchant women, Undead zombie beasties, and giant gooey looking monster types! Throw in an angry Dwarf mercenary with a big, bald, gun-shooting companion and you got yourself a story!

I mean really...what more do you need outta a comic book?

Also, the pictures in this book are pretty freaking awesome
The kind of story that the word "romp" was invented to describe. These two skullkickers inhabit a world that feels like a cartoonier, darkly funnier Lankhmar. If you love Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser (if you are my friend you'd damn well better) then you'll enjoy this goofy romp (see!) through a world of sword and sorcery that is smart and funny in a way that acknowledges where its roots are without being too jokey and navel-gazing to enjoy on its own merits.
Ryan Tandy
Book titles can often be a mixed bag when referring to content. Some, such as Gulliver’s Travels or A Passage to India, are fairly self explanatory and hint at what you can expect to find within its pages. Others are slightly more obscure, and will force you to actually read the thing before you can work out what’s going on. But when you pick up a book called Skull Kickers, you can probably go ahead and assume it’s not going to be an essay on Ghandi’s ideas of non violent protest.

While the stor
nick ruest
Yay! Zub made me laugh!!!
For me this was an amazing read, a true comicbook with adventure, comedic buddy type scenario and classic fantasy setting paying homage to Dungeons and Dragons without going too complicated with the world building. The original one shots included in this volume was more matured in its comedic take, so when they toned it down the comedic atmosphere/feel of the book never left. Jim Zubkavich did an outstanding job writing this book without going too far with the worldbuilding, also if you are fami ...more
This was fun. Handled with a different set of dialogue, sound effects or art, this would be relentlessly dark and bleak, but the creators of Skullkickers have set out to make light, entertaining violence that cleanses the palette, and they have succeeded. I will end up reading many more of these.
William Thomas
Holy f&$k, I love this book.

It's really nothing more than a satire of all the epic questing ever done in D&D, video games, and sword-and-sorcery books. And even though it is a satire, the entire time I was reading it, I was caught up in it's own story and seeing the book as a completely separate entity, not only as a sum of all other parts. It's like the reason you watch the Venture Brothers- you want to see how they spoof and poke fun at everything you grew up on and still to this day l
Art was good. Setting and plot too cliche. Unfortunately, the humor, which was supposed to be this book's biggest draw, wasn't great. It's been awhile since I read this one, but nothing sunk in. So sad to see yet another highly praised book turn out to be a dud.
I've been looking for a comedic fantasy series to read while waiting for the second Rat Queens volume to arrive, and Skullkickers had a lot of the same flavor. I look forward to reading subsequent volumes.
The dwarf and the big, bald guy have their hands full with seeking to return the body of the Chancellor to his people. They interrupt a demonic rite, and end up having to flee before an attacking zombie horde. These two adventurers have their work cut out for them.

I picked this book up because it has been waiting in a list for me to read for some time now. It was first recommended by the people at The Beguiling, (the comic store from which I buy most of my graphic novels).

I finished it because i
Mark Schlatter
More like 2.5 stars....

I'd heard about this humorous sword and sorcery title from Image and thought I'd give it a try. The humor here is not in the Terry Pratchett or Phil Foglio direction. As the title indicates, it's more in the "bust heads and laugh" direction. There's some funny bits with explicit sound effects (e.g., "Wham-age!") and subtitles for an enemy with a punched up mouth (so the word balloons say "Mf Bu Du!" but we get a translation), but nothing that got to gut-busting humor. I fo
The story arc was consistent & really fun to read. The artwork was awesome! A definite must read for fans of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise!
I love humor in fantasy and sf stories and this series has the humor good artwork and action that I love.
Heather Fryling
Light hearted sword and sorcery, the best comic of its kind I've ever read.
[glances at second trade sitting there]

Gina Schaarschmidt
Ick. I. Don't. Get. It.
Diego Cobos
Good book. Great art.
Shannon Appelcline
This book has a really rough start. It's almost all dull fighting and for some reason the fighting sequences are drawn in a very murky style that's hard to interpret. Things pick up in the last few issues when there's some of the long-promised comedy and an increasingly smirk-worthy use of onomatopoeia — but it wasn't enough to enthuse me about continuing on with the next volume.
Andrew Kline
Ha! This comic is awesome. Minimal story, little (if any) character development, no love interest (yet?), just two brutes kicking skulls. Plenty of humor, excellent art, and very literal onomatopoeias. The story is by no means simplistic, but don't expect any deep, meaningful conversations as the two companions ride through the desert or a crisis of faith as one of them is about to be devoured. Just enjoy it for what it is, 'cause it's good!
Heh. Heh heh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This reminds me SO much of playing D&D and harshing on my friends it's not even funny. I mean, it is funny. But. You know what I mean.
The banter between Shorty and Baldy is pitch-perfect, and the carnage is absolutely delightful. A wonderful marriage of writing and art that puts you right in the melee with the ghouls and goblins, but never takes itself too seriously. I'll be reading more of these for sure.
Loved the first one and cannot wait to read the rest.
A World of Warcraft-ish parody and buddy adventure filled with slapstick comedy, epic sound effects and lots of violence. In terms of the story there was nothing particularly exciting or new here, so I'm afraid it didn't leave me wanting more. Most of my enjoyment was derived from Edwin Huang's frankly jaw-dropping art.

2 stars for the story, 5 for the art, so I'm calling 3 and a half stars.
A comic that manages to pay real homage to the sword-and-sorcery genre while being actually funny? I haven't seen that in quite a while. (Since Cerebus, I think.) A great, very goofy story playing on fantasy tropes with a great sense of humor, and some delightful art. I was having so much fun, I didn't want to stop. Certainly not for the overly serious.
Sometimes you just want to read something full of action and violence and with no redeeming virtues at all. This book is perfect! Two unnamed mercenaries exchange witty banter while attempting to recover a dead body and inflicting as much bodily damage as possible. This was a nice break from the sweet children’s comics I normally read!
Overall an entirely forgettable action adventure story about a mercenary dwarf and a bald dude that beat up a lot of people. It had a lot of action but still managed to bore me. I could see this kind of thing appealing to a certain type of GN reader, particularly one who really likes WOW, but it really did nothing for me.
Dudley Danes
Fantastically gratuitous and fun in every way. It would be difficult to better describe this graphic novel any better than those before me so I'll just add to it. Mindless comedy violence, ass [skull] kicking heroes and no need to explain a thing. This was the great fun that roughly 99% of comics TRY to pull off and don't.
Not a bad little fantasy graphic novel. Little bit of humor lots of fighting. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
Lauren Sparks
This book is so much fun! The story is funny, the characters all function perfectly in their personalities and visual design that they don't even need names.

My only complaint is that the binding started falling apart the second time I opened it. Get a new binder Image Comics, this book deserves it.
Storywise, Skullkickers was a good time but nothing special. I would have given it 2.5 stars but two things bumped it up - the atypical action words and the comments of the village people when they're around. Definitely not a regrettable purchase and I'll continue to read the series.
  • Dungeons & Dragons, Volume 1: Shadowplague
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape
  • Archer & Armstrong, Vol 1: The Michelangelo Code
  • Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
  • Takio
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
Jim Zub is a writer, artist and art instructor based in Toronto, Canada. Over the past ten years he’s worked for a diverse array of publishing, movie and video game clients including Disney, Warner Bros., Capcom, Hasbro, Bandai-Namco and Mattel.

He juggles his time between being a freelance comic writer and Program Coordinator for Seneca College‘s award-winning Animation program.
More about Jim Zub...