Start by marking “Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body” as Want to Read:
Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body

Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body (Skullkickers #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  570 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Two nameless mercenaries are mashing monsters and making a name for themselves. Image's new hit fantasy action-comedy series has gone through multiple printings of each issue released so far and is getting rave reviews from readers and critics alike. Pick up the first collection and find out what all the excitement is about.

Collects SKULLKICKERS #1-5 and the short stories

Published March 22nd 2011 by Image Comics (first published January 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Skullkickers Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skullkickers Vol. 1

Sam Quixote
Feb 10, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Set in fantasyland (think your standard D&D/Word of Warcraft landscape) where your fantasy comes true if you've ever wanted to live in Game of Thrones, a prince is assassinated and his body stolen by a necromancer. The kingdom hires a pair of bounty hunters – a nameless dwarf and barbarian – to bring his body back for burial but things don’t go quite according to plan and soon they have a zombie apocalypse on their hands!

Skullkickers is a light-hearted take on the fantasy genre, mixing in hu
Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai)
Nov 02, 2014 Scott (GrilledCheeseSamurai) rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, image

A couple of unnamed mercs take on a mission to recover a royal corpse 'deadified' by assassination.

This first volume of Skullkickers gives us a taste of great things to come! There are Goblins, busty merchant women, Undead zombie beasties, and giant gooey looking monster types! Throw in an angry Dwarf mercenary with a big, bald, gun-shooting companion and you got yourself a story!

I mean really...what more do you need outta a comic book?

Also, the pictures in this book are pretty freaking awesome
Ambs ❤❤
I wanted to love this, I really did. There was so much potential - blood, grit, sarcasm, and skull kicking, but it just fell flat. I blame it on the artwork. Don't get me wrong, I thought the graphics were great, but the two anti-heroes, "Baldy" and "Shorty" were too comical. I know, I know, this was supposed to be a witty, action-packed, drama, but it was too cartoon-ish.

I was expecting this . . .
description
(these were from the original short stories 2 Copper Pieces and Gotcha)

What we got was this . . .
Aramis
Apr 26, 2012 Aramis rated it really liked it
The kind of story that the word "romp" was invented to describe. These two skullkickers inhabit a world that feels like a cartoonier, darkly funnier Lankhmar. If you love Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser (if you are my friend you'd damn well better) then you'll enjoy this goofy romp (see!) through a world of sword and sorcery that is smart and funny in a way that acknowledges where its roots are without being too jokey and navel-gazing to enjoy on its own merits.
Ryan Tandy
Jun 02, 2014 Ryan Tandy rated it really liked it
Book titles can often be a mixed bag when referring to content. Some, such as Gulliver’s Travels or A Passage to India, are fairly self explanatory and hint at what you can expect to find within its pages. Others are slightly more obscure, and will force you to actually read the thing before you can work out what’s going on. But when you pick up a book called Skull Kickers, you can probably go ahead and assume it’s not going to be an essay on Ghandi’s ideas of non violent protest.

While the stor
nick ruest
Mar 10, 2011 nick ruest rated it really liked it
Yay! Zub made me laugh!!!
LSWebb
May 23, 2016 LSWebb rated it really liked it
I read the first two chapters yesterday, and at that point it was only getting 2.5-3 stars. Too cliche, and not doing enough to make the cliche feel like it earns itself. But after chapter 2, it picks up quite a lot and gets much more interested. I'm still not a fan of the main characters not being named yet, but I love the art and the story seems like it's going somewhere. I hope it improves, but I did enjoy my time with it decently enough.
Gabrielle
Apr 14, 2013 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
For me this was an amazing read, a true comicbook with adventure, comedic buddy type scenario and classic fantasy setting paying homage to Dungeons and Dragons without going too complicated with the world building. The original one shots included in this volume was more matured in its comedic take, so when they toned it down the comedic atmosphere/feel of the book never left. Jim Zubkavich did an outstanding job writing this book without going too far with the worldbuilding, also if you are fami ...more
Jessica
Mar 26, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
That was great! It was full of fun spirited action. It made me laugh and it kept me entertained which was exactly what I needed.

I loved the art work too. The scenes were split dynamically and used some overlapping elements my aesthetic eye appreciated. I can't wait to see what my favorite dynamic duo will get up to next.
Scott Lee
Feb 19, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Fantasy art, fantastic send-up of Conan/D&D style mayhem, and wonderfully brazen self-interest on the part of these anti-heroes. Dark, pitch-black humor, but if you go in expecting it its hilarious. And it definitely doesn't take itself too seriously, a danger of fantasy--often the story takes itself way more serious than the reader is able to make him/her self take it. Not the case here. It's just absolutely hilarious.

I do the team had chosen to go with the "more rendered" look o
Garrett
May 04, 2015 Garrett rated it liked it
This was fun. Handled with a different set of dialogue, sound effects or art, this would be relentlessly dark and bleak, but the creators of Skullkickers have set out to make light, entertaining violence that cleanses the palette, and they have succeeded. I will end up reading many more of these.
William Thomas
Jul 17, 2011 William Thomas rated it really liked it
Holy f&$k, I love this book.

It's really nothing more than a satire of all the epic questing ever done in D&D, video games, and sword-and-sorcery books. And even though it is a satire, the entire time I was reading it, I was caught up in it's own story and seeing the book as a completely separate entity, not only as a sum of all other parts. It's like the reason you watch the Venture Brothers- you want to see how they spoof and poke fun at everything you grew up on and still to this day l
Phil
May 04, 2015 Phil rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
I've been looking for a comedic fantasy series to read while waiting for the second Rat Queens volume to arrive, and Skullkickers had a lot of the same flavor. I look forward to reading subsequent volumes.
Marco
Mar 28, 2016 Marco rated it liked it
This was okay, but I have to admit I liked the two stories in the back (art by Chris Stevens) better than the main part. That had some highlights but didn't really convice me to come back for more.
Randy
Jan 05, 2016 Randy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
The dwarf and the big, bald guy have their hands full with seeking to return the body of the Chancellor to his people. They interrupt a demonic rite, and end up having to flee before an attacking zombie horde. These two adventurers have their work cut out for them.

I picked this book up because it has been waiting in a list for me to read for some time now. It was first recommended by the people at The Beguiling, (the comic store from which I buy most of my graphic novels).

I finished it because i
Mark Schlatter
Jul 18, 2012 Mark Schlatter rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars....

I'd heard about this humorous sword and sorcery title from Image and thought I'd give it a try. The humor here is not in the Terry Pratchett or Phil Foglio direction. As the title indicates, it's more in the "bust heads and laugh" direction. There's some funny bits with explicit sound effects (e.g., "Wham-age!") and subtitles for an enemy with a punched up mouth (so the word balloons say "Mf Bu Du!" but we get a translation), but nothing that got to gut-busting humor. I fo
Justine
Apr 29, 2016 Justine rated it really liked it
I grabbed this comic from the author and he signed it for me. I liked the story but I didn't love it. Something was missing for me.
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I found this very enjoyable and I plan on getting the next volumes as so as I can im excited to see where they go from here.
Joshua
May 19, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
The story arc was consistent & really fun to read. The artwork was awesome! A definite must read for fans of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise!
Kevin
Mar 31, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
I love humor in fantasy and sf stories and this series has the humor good artwork and action that I love.
Heather Fryling
May 24, 2015 Heather Fryling rated it it was amazing
Light hearted sword and sorcery, the best comic of its kind I've ever read.
Hyzenthlay
Apr 20, 2014 Hyzenthlay rated it it was ok
[glances at second trade sitting there]

[sigh]
Good book. Great art.
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 29, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
This book has a really rough start. It's almost all dull fighting and for some reason the fighting sequences are drawn in a very murky style that's hard to interpret. Things pick up in the last few issues when there's some of the long-promised comedy and an increasingly smirk-worthy use of onomatopoeia — but it wasn't enough to enthuse me about continuing on with the next volume.
Andrew Kline
Aug 07, 2013 Andrew Kline rated it it was amazing
Ha! This comic is awesome. Minimal story, little (if any) character development, no love interest (yet?), just two brutes kicking skulls. Plenty of humor, excellent art, and very literal onomatopoeias. The story is by no means simplistic, but don't expect any deep, meaningful conversations as the two companions ride through the desert or a crisis of faith as one of them is about to be devoured. Just enjoy it for what it is, 'cause it's good!
Bill
Jan 22, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, graphic
Heh. Heh heh. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This reminds me SO much of playing D&D and harshing on my friends it's not even funny. I mean, it is funny. But. You know what I mean.
The banter between Shorty and Baldy is pitch-perfect, and the carnage is absolutely delightful. A wonderful marriage of writing and art that puts you right in the melee with the ghouls and goblins, but never takes itself too seriously. I'll be reading more of these for sure.
Michael
Jan 25, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Loved the first one and cannot wait to read the rest.
David
May 06, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A World of Warcraft-ish parody and buddy adventure filled with slapstick comedy, epic sound effects and lots of violence. In terms of the story there was nothing particularly exciting or new here, so I'm afraid it didn't leave me wanting more. Most of my enjoyment was derived from Edwin Huang's frankly jaw-dropping art.

2 stars for the story, 5 for the art, so I'm calling 3 and a half stars.
J.
Jun 18, 2014 J. rated it really liked it
A comic that manages to pay real homage to the sword-and-sorcery genre while being actually funny? I haven't seen that in quite a while. (Since Cerebus, I think.) A great, very goofy story playing on fantasy tropes with a great sense of humor, and some delightful art. I was having so much fun, I didn't want to stop. Certainly not for the overly serious.
  • Orc Stain, Vol. 1
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities
  • Dawn Land
  • The Legend of Luther Strode
Jim Zub is a writer, artist and art instructor based in Toronto, Canada. Over the past ten years he’s worked for a diverse array of publishing, movie and video game clients including Disney, Warner Bros., Capcom, Hasbro, Bandai-Namco and Mattel.

He juggles his time between being a freelance comic writer and Program Coordinator for Seneca College‘s award-winning Animation program.
More about Jim Zub...