Start by marking “Death in Paradise” as Want to Read:
Death in Paradise

Death in Paradise (Henrie O #4)

Six years ago, Henrie O's beloved newspaperman husband Richard lost his life on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Now, on a brisk March morning, a chilling message has arrived by Priority Mail claiming Richard's fatal fall from a towering island cliff was no accident--it was murder. Following cryptic clues and her infallible instincts to a lush and verdant tropical Eden--andto ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Paradise

Bill
Sep 03, 2011 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: mystery-us, detective
I tried and I tried, but I just couldn't like this book. I read the whole thing, but for the most part, it irritated me more and more. It was the writing style more than anything and unfortunately, I think it took away from the story for me. Too much description and an almost obsession with 'threes'. Belle Erickson has three children from her first marriage, inherited three more with her second marriage and was married three times. I probably wouldn't have noticed it, if not for the fact that al ...more
Barb
Apr 10, 2016 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six years after her husband's accidental fatal fall from a cliffside in Hawaii, Henrie O receives a cryptic anonymous message, suggesting that it was not accidental. She must overcome her fears and investigate the accident which will put her face to face with Belle, a woman who may or may not have been her husband's lover. The evidence she unearths seems to give Henrie O alone the power to save Belle's life. Great setting, lots of suspicious characters, suspense and good writing make this one of ...more
Barb
Jul 20, 2007 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans
Shelves: mystery
This was the first Carolyn Hart mystery I read. I chose it because we were going to vacation on Kauai and this story is set there. I was impressed with Hart's ability to follow in Dame Agatha's footsteps - she laid out the clues, threw in red herrings, fooled me into thinking I knew who had done it, then presented a most likely murderer with all red herrings wrapped up. I like that in a mystery. I hate it when the murderer is totally out of the blue, or the questions arising in the story are nev ...more
Megan O'Neill
Jan 17, 2012 Megan O'Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Like the three previous books in Hart's "Henrie O" series, the plot is, on the surface, simple. Intrepid reporter-turned-unofficial-sleuth Henrietta Collins is spurred into action by a mysterious poster, a poster that taunts her about the death of her husband Richard six years before. Until the receipt of that seemingly cruel correspondence, Henrie O had every reason to believe that her husband's death had been an accident, that he'd lost his footing on a cliff in Hawaii and had fallen to his fa ...more
Bill
Sep 19, 2016 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When reporter Henrie O receives a strange message suggesting her late husband was pushed from the edge of a hill top Hawaiian mansion, Henrie O follows his last trail to Texas, then to Hawaii where Belle, a retired well known woman reporter, famous for her wartime reporting and friends with Henrie O’s dead husband, lives in her mansion near where Henrie O’s husband died.

Who was the killer? All of Belle’s children from several marriages as well as several friends are there to celebrate the life o
Linda
May 15, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: state-by-state
The first of this series I have read...would probably pick up another although I will make sure any future ones are in printed form--not audio. The author can certainly "turn a phrase" but can we say verbose? In the printed version I would have been able to skim some of the repetitive descriptions of every flower growing in Hawaii, especially as they did nothing to move the story along. I do recall that I enjoyed her "Death on Demand" series more and will have to try some of those newer ones.
Wilma
Jul 29, 2010 Wilma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It amazes me that Carolyn Hart continues to keep me guessing till the very end of her Henrie O stories about "whodunnit". I enjoyed the story line of this book set in Hawaii. It was full of intrigue and also extremely descriptive wording that made you feel like you were present on location. I am eager to start the next story.
DelAnne Frazee
Jan 18, 2017 DelAnne Frazee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
ASIN: B01LZS2794
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I received a copy of "Death in Paradise" from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Description From the Publisher:
Six years ago, Henrietta O’Dwyer Collins beloved husba
Anam
Feb 14, 2017 Anam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
When I finished this book and closed the cover, I was exhausted. And sad.

I had spent the better part of the story fearful for Henri O, our protagonist. I knew she was in terrible danger. She went to Hawaii to learn about how her husband died years before. It had been written off as a tragic accident, but she had just received an anonymous letter implying that it had been murder. But from the time she entered the house in Kauai, she was in danger.

As to be expected, by the end the truth came out,
Frances L. Ehrig
Hawaiian Adventure

I always look forward to books written by Carolyn Hart. She never disappoints. Don't know how I missed this one, but it was one that I could not put down until it was finished. And it was an excellent read. Henrie O is an interesting and pleasant heroine, and the characters in her stories are always well-written and real.
Julie
I just love spending time with Henrie O. Another solid entry into this favorite series.
Graham McGhie
Dec 22, 2016 Graham McGhie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing, intelligently written, traditional crime thriller
This is the first book I have read by Carolyn Hart and is the fourth in her "Henry O" series of thrillers.
I have to admit that the book was not quite what I was expecting. Given the book was originally published in 1998, I was expecting a quaint novel not containing much, if any, modern tech and a similarly dated storyline.
Not a bit like that! Admittedly it's not full of modern technology but since the storyline is set in an outpost
Val
Jan 06, 2017 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Henrie O mystery by this author and I really enjoyed it. Different from usual murder mysteries and lots of great description about Hawaii
Peggy Jaeger
I reviewed this for Netgalley for an honest review.

I was half through this book before I realized it was a reissue of an older Carolyn Hart, but I read it through the end regardless because Hart is a favorite of mine.
The heroine in Death in Paradise, Henrie O Collins, is a woman of a certain age and temperament who lost her darling husband six years in an accident. Or so she was told. The book opens with Henrie O receiving a mystery poster board in the mail informing her in a cryptic and slightl
Debbie Krenzer
I have read many Carolyn Hart's books and was very excited to see this one listed on Net Galley as one I could request. I was most certainly excited to see that I had been approved.

Henrie O's husband had died a horrific death six years ago and one day she gets a poster in the mail saying it wasn't an accident. That it was certainly a murder. Of course, she needs to find out what really happens and finds herself in a hornets nest of suspects. No one wants her there and is very suspicious of her
Dana Clinton
I needed to read a simple murder mystery after quite a bit of heavier reading. This is the first I've read by this author, and it was good enough. Set in Texas and Hawaii, I liked reading about the island of Kauai. The "detective" character, Henrie O, receives a bizarre package in the mail which convinces her that her husband Richard, who fell off a cliff in Hawaii, didn't die by accident, as was assumed six years previously. So we meet quite a cast of characters, all of whom are bound together ...more
Lollyletsgo
May 29, 2011 Lollyletsgo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this character, yes the specifics about every tree in Hawaii was mentioned (another reader mentioned a dislike for it); however, it is a detail, and a really good mystery will have them. I find that it's those details that leave the mystery up to the reader to sort through. Which one is important, which one is just a toss away (or red herring)- Ms Hart is really good at them. She will give you something innocuous that will come back to bite you (or her main character) in the butt. ...more
George
Jul 17, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Henri O mystery series. Six years ago, Henrie O's beloved newspaperman husband Richard lost his life on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. Now, on a brisk March morning, a chilling message has arrived by Priority Mail claiming Richard's fatal fall from a towering island cliff was no accident and starts Henrie O on a quest to determine whether her husband was murdered and who was responsible. Doing this brings her into contact with a close female news correspondent friend of her husband's. H ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Henrie O. gets a package that insinuates that her husband's death wasn't an accident but murder. Not able to let that go, she travels to Hawaii to find out what happens. The plot moved too slowly for my tastes and I had a hard time keeping the characters straight for the first half of the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Robin
Aug 03, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Henrietta O'Dwyer Collins receives an anonymous note, stating that her husband's death six years ago was not an accident. He did not fall off a cliff in Hawaii while visiting a friend, he was pushed. Henrie O. goes to Hawaii to investigate.

I usually like this series, but I had a real hard time getting into this book. The first 100 pages were very slow for me. Maybe it was just my mood because this book has received a lot of great reviews in the past. My rating: 3 Stars.
Annabelle
The female protagonist is Henrie-O who has got to be 60 and a retired reporter, who wears good clothes and can still play tennis, and goes to Hawaii to an enclave of wealthy family members, where her husband dropped to his death 6 years ago. It is an okay plot about who kidnapped and killed the wealthy family’s daughter which then resulted in the protagonist’s husband’s death. A little mediocre, and we don’t need to know all the names of plants and streets in Kauai.
Patty
Jul 31, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chose this because he were going to Hawaii. There was some nice description of Kaui (we were going to Maui), but there was also a lot of repetitive hand-wringing. Yes, it would be sad if your husband died, but she got 39 good years of marriage - much more than the average woman.

Also, very repetitive re her psychological analysis of who the murderer might be which in the end didn't help her discover her at all.
Judy
Jul 09, 2010 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I really enjoy Carolyn Hart's series set in South Carolina, Henrie O isn't as appealing a character to me. In this fourth book in the series, Henrie O travels to Hawaii when she realizes that her husband's death there might not have been an accident. Read to fulfill the Hawaii requirement for the mystery challenge.
Patty Johnson
I like Henri O, and I believe you have to read a number of the series to actually understand the character and what drives her. The murder mystery is well plotted and the introspection of the characters gives more meaning to the work than a simple murder mystery. The ending is more than what I expected and I want to read a followup concerning her daughter.
Gina
Dec 05, 2011 Gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: book-club, mystery, kindle
I have never read this author before and I dong think I will be reading her books again. I read this as part of a challenge in which a mystery had to be set in Hawaii. That is the only reason I finished it. It was boring and was written in a strange voice or to.e. it just sounded so "literary" which just doesn't fit a mystery. I would not recommend it to anyone. 1 star.
Donna
Dec 17, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Carolyn Hart mystery. Would definitely read her again. An interesting heroine-I always did like the older female dectectives! Henri O. is a character I could identify with (especially now!) Well thought out mystery, with good plot and characters. Have never been to Kauai, but have been to Ouahu and Maui, and the descriptions are very good. An enjoyable read.
Dagny
Nov 22, 2016 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
It took a long time for me to get really into this read. There are so many characters (possible suspects) and I wasn't interested in most of them. But once Henry O arrived at Belle's Hawaiian estate and started investigating it really perked up for me. The last third or so was riveting.
Terri
Jul 07, 2009 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This character seems to lack passion for anything except what concerns her. I keep hoping the series will improve. The first book in the series was really enjoyable. So, I'll keep plodding along with each book...
Mike
Hey it's a vacation book.
Now that I am done I enjoyed parts of it - nice story, good ending, interesting location given my recent vacation to the island.
Shoehn
Feb 07, 2010 Shoehn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Henrie O books are always fun light reading - and give us hope that we can be active and clever as we get older!
  • Much Ado in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #3)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • Delete All Suspects (Turing Hopper, #4)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Henrie O (7 books)
  • Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1)
  • Scandal in Fair Haven (Henrie O, #2)
  • Death in Lovers' Lane (Henrie O, #3)
  • Death on the River Walk (Henrie O, #5)
  • Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)
  • Set Sail for Murder (Henrie O, #7)