Start by marking “Romanov Bride” as Want to Read:
Romanov Bride

Romanov Bride

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  1,764 Ratings  ·  326 Reviews

The bestselling tale of Romanov intrigue from the author of The Kitchen Boy

Book groups and historical fiction buffs have made Robert Alexander's two previous novels word-of-mouth favorites and national bestsellers. Set against a backdrop of Imperial Russia's twilight, The Romanov Bride has the same enduring appeal. The Grand Duchess Elisavyeta's story begins like a fairy

Audio, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published April 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Romanov Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romanov Bride

Robert Alexander
Apr 08, 2008 Robert Alexander rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction and lovers of Russian history
I loved working on this book and I hope it shows. I'll be talking about it on my live webcasts:
May 23, 2008 Danielle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction, Russian history buffs
Shelves: historical-novel
This is the third book from Robert Alexander, and like the two previous books, it is set during the turmoil of the Russian Revolution. This book follows the paths of two victims of tragedy; Pavel, the worker turned revolutionary assassin, and Ella, sister to the Empress Alexandra and Romanov princess.

Alexander explores the two very different paths taken. For Pavel, the murder of his wife and unborn child leads him to revenge and hatred. At many times, he seems to be acting purely through the dir
May 20, 2008 Leanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Alexander returns again to the Romanovs in his most recent novel, The Romanov Bride. This time, he focuses on the Grand Duchess Elisabeth “Ella” Fyodorovna, the older sister of Tsarina Alexandra, and Pavel, a fictional revolutionary.

The book alternates chapters between Ella and Pavel’s perspectives. Ella reacts to the Russian Revolution and the assassination of her husband, the Governor General of Moscow, by retreating from her aristocratic roots and founding an abbey, hospital, and orpha
Kristin Lee Williams
Jul 21, 2008 Kristin Lee Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
What I love about Robert Alexander is the fantastic historical detail he includes in his novels. I love that he uses the diaries and letters of his characters so that he can use their actual words and language in his novels.

I also love that he presents such a tumultous time in history in such an even handed way. He doesn't portray the Tsar and other Royals as perfectly evil or perfectly innocent. Neither does he portray the revolutionary activists as perfectly innocent or perfectly evil. He rea
Nov 22, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

More than anything, I was disappointed by this book. I've read Robert Alexander's other two books, and they fascinated me from start to finish. The Kitchen Boy sparked my interest in the Romanovs, Rasputin, royalty, revolution and revenge. It was that interest that prompted me to pick this book up, but I'm sad to say it drained and pained me, and never really had me as hooked as the first two books.

I was initially intrigued by the alternating storylines - Ella and Pavel's views of their
Apr 06, 2009 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Booooooring! I would have been better off reading the Wikipedia article on Elisabeth Fyodorovna.
Apr 11, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I hadn't been sitting in an airport with nothing to do, I wouldn't have bothered finishing this. It would be okay for someone who hasn't read tons and tons about European monarchy and the Russian revolution. It wasn't historically inaccurate, just intellectually scaled down for a precocious fifth grader.
May 02, 2009 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Historical novel based on the real-life Grand Duchess Elisabeth Romanov. She was the older sister of the Tsarina Alexandra and her husband, Sergei Alexandrovich, was the Tsar's cousin. After her husband's death, she became a nun. After the Bolshevik revolution, she, along with other members of the Romanov family, was killed in 1918.

The novel is told in alternating viewpoints--Elisabeth or "Ella"--and Pavel, a fictional revolutionary whose life becomes entwined with Elisabeth's.

The history of the
May 18, 2009 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a fascinating era, this historical fiction felt unimaginative and shallowly investigated. It made me want to research Russian history, but it didn't make me want to read anything else by this author.
May 26, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rebecca by: Louise
My perfect idea of a vacation is what I have experienced so far over the last three days: a beautiful beach, good food, and unlimited historical fiction. The Romanov Bride is not the best piece of literature I have ever read, but it was an absorbing easy beach read. I had never heard of The Grand Duchess Elisavyeta who was the sister of doomed Tsarina of Russia at the time of the Revolution and was married to the Tsar’s uncle, the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich. Her story is so tragic yet gripp ...more
Jan 05, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of the life of Princes Elisavyeta, Grand Duchess in the tsarist Russia. It was helpful that I had read "King Kaiser Tsar" prior to this book. What makes it so fascinating is the relationships that exist between all the characters. Ella (her "English" name is also the sister of the Tsarina Alexandra and both of them were graddaughters of Queen Victoria and hence first cousins of Kaiser Wilhelm!!!
Princess Ella lives through the great Russian Revolution that occured during World W
Book No: 7
The fall of the Romanov’s has provided endless fascination among both authors and readers for many years. In this book Robert Alexander takes a look at one of the lesser-known Romanov’s, Elizabeth, sister to the Czarina and wife of Grand Duke Serge of Russia. While the life of this princess is indeed interesting, the execution is not as interesting as I had hoped.

I had heard good things about this author so I was looking forward to this book, but I was very disappointed. First the titl
Interesting, but sad, as most stories from this time period are. The narrative style was effective but sometimes a little annoying.
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, russian
I really only read this novel by Alexander to get some more background on the Russian Revolution. Ultimately, he is a disappointing writer. He knows his Russian history, but knowledge does not necessarily make a good author. Elizaveth was an interesting person and had a fascinating life, but the story as told here is emotionally quite dull.
Aug 21, 2011 Hooma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am hovering between giving this book 2.5 or 3 stars.

I have always been fascinated by the last Romanovs, their untimely and gruesome demise has constantly beckoned me to learn more about them and the fateful last days of their lives. In my mind and in the annals of history as well, they have taken on an almost mythical quality. I am constantly wondering numerous "what if's" when I think or read about them. "What if Russia had become a constitutional monarchy?" or "What if the Tsarina and the ch
Jun 28, 2012 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I invoked the Rule of 50, and therefore only read the first 53 pages. It was really all I could stomach. This man writes like a fourth-grader--he clearly has no understanding of the way people talk, or if he does, his idea of how people spoke at the turn of the century is just laughable. It's very stilted and contrived dialogue.

I can't tell if he had a good story on his hands or not, because I was too distracted by the awful dialogue and the unnecessary descriptions of people's clothing. It's re
Aug 14, 2016 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5, usa
Gostei muito de ler A Noiva Romanov, pois sempre me fascinou muito a história dos czares da Rússia, que é a época retratada neste livro.

A história é-nos contada pela mão de duas personagens: Isabel (Ella), a irmã da czarina Alexandra e cunhada do czar Nicky e Pavel, um simples camponês a quem foi tirado a mulher e o filho, ainda por nascer, por culpa do imperador Nicolau II (no episódio do "Domingo Sangrento" em 1905) e devido à sua miséria e vontade de mudança vai abraçar a revolução. Somos ass
Jan 07, 2013 Agnieszka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read historical fiction... even if you don't know a lot about the historical period. History is well done, never boring or overwhelming. The characters seem a little clichéd, but again... easy read which draws you into story.
As much as I loved The Kitchen Boy, I have to say I mostly endured The Romanov Bride. I have read many stories of the more famous Romanovs — Nicholas, Alexandra and their children — but had only heard of this older sister of the Empress as a passing mention in some of the other books. So I was intrigued by the chance to read a story focused on the lesser-known sister.

Perhaps if the book had focused solely on "Ella" (as the heading of her chapters dubbed her), it would have been a better story.
This novel is an exploration into the opposing sides in the Russian Revolution. The story is framed by Pavel reminiscing, confiding to a priest that on Grand Duchess Elisavyeta Romanov's (Ella) last days the two of them exchanged their stories. This becomes the major portion of the book, alternating between Pavel and Ella.

The historical record was used as much as possible, but this is a work of fiction. Pavel is certainly fictional, but Ella did exist and the story was mostly told from her poin
Nov 12, 2013 Debbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in historical fiction
Again, Robert Alexander uses original documents in order to build his story of the Royal family during the Russian revolution. In this case he accessed the letters written by Elisyaveta Fyodorovna, older sister of the Empress Aleksandra. Nicknamed Ella, she married the Grand Duke Sergei and became a member of the royal court and a Romanov. She thoroughly adopted Russia as her home and gave her heart to her new country and its people. Nevertheless, when the revolution came, she had two strikes ag ...more
The Romanov Bride is a fictional biography about the life of The Grand Duchess Elisavyeta, the sister of the Tsarina Alexandra. It is set in the backdrop of imperial Russia that is on the brink of the Russian Revolution. The story tells the of the Grand Duchess Elisavyeta marriage to a Romanov to her sad tragic end. It also focuses on how the revolution greatly impacted the country of Russia. It is not only a period of darkness for the nobility but also for the common class.

The story is told in
Havebooks Willread
Mar 12, 2014 Havebooks Willread rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Havebooks by: Carrie B.
The Romanov Bride was back to the late-night-inducing quality of The Kitchen Boy. In addition to Alexander's admirable attention to historical detail (even to the point of quoting from the Grand Duchess's historical letters, diaries, and other documents), he successfully rounds out each of his characters. Grand Duke Sergei is a thoroughly unlikable fellow, yet through his wife's eyes, the reader can't help feeling compassion for the circumstances that influenced the man he became. Elisavyeta her ...more
C.C. Yager
I've known Robert Alexander for 30+ years, and have followed his writing career which has often included Russia in some way. It's been a joy to watch his writing mature and improve, his themes deepen, and his characters develop into rich human beings. Reading his novels has enriched my life, especially his Russian historicals.

The Romanov Bride focuses on the tumultuous time before the October Revolution beginning in about 1904-05. The October Revolution and the ensuing Civil War are well known t
Valentin Mihov
Jan 24, 2015 Valentin Mihov marked it as just-have-it  ·  review of another edition
From Publishers Weekly

In this robust historical set during the Romanov twilight, Alexander (_The Kitchen Boy_) chronicles the careers of two emblematic individuals—the real-life Grand Duchess Elisavyeta (Ella), sister of Alexandra, the last tsarina, and the fictional Pavel, a young revolutionary. The author's extensive knowledge of Russia allows him to invigorate the narrative with telling details that bring the aristocrat Ella, who eventually became an Orthodox saint, convincingly to life. Hi

Feb 11, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Knowing little about the Russian Revolution, I found this fascinating. The attention to detail was exceptional, and the author note indicated he quoted actual records when possible. This was done seamlessly without interrupting the narrative. The historical speculation was wonderful. I also enjoyed the alternating points of view.
Liz Lawrence
Aug 31, 2016 Liz Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction as well as biographies. This book combines the two. I found both protagonists intriguing and easy to sympathize with. I really enjoyed this book.
Sep 16, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Although I've been known to read historical fiction every now and then (or all the time, but whatever), it's typically centered around the Plantegenets and the Tudor dynasties. Robert Alexander's Romanov Bride, a quasi-historical look into the Russian Revolution, was a change of pace for me. The book weaves together the story of the Grand Duchess Elisabeth "Ella" Fyodorovna, the older sister of Tsarina Alexandra, and a fictional revolutionary named Pavel.

Hoping to escape a life of abject povert
Oct 21, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only way I could get through it was because it was an audio book and I had a long car ride. So, I skipped through it, but was interested on the main character.
  • The Tsarina's Daughter
  • Catherine the Great
  • Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)
  • The Quest for Anastasia: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Romanovs
  • The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Alexandra Feodorovna, Tsarina of Russia
  • Romanov Autumn: Stories from the Last Century of Imperial Russia
  • The Jewel of St. Petersburg (The Russian Concubine, #0)
  • The Gates of November
  • The Last Romanov
  • The Queen's Pawn
  • The New Nobility: The Restoration of Russia's Security State and the Enduring Legacy of the KGB
  • The True Memoirs of Little K
  • Ice Road
  • Anastasia: The Lost Princess
  • The Lost Crown
  • The White Russian
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • Is Journalism Worth Dying For? Final Dispatches
Robert Alexander is the author of the bestselling novels Rasputin's Daughter, The Kitchen Boy, and the forthcoming The Romanov Bride. He has spent over thirty years traveling to Russia, where he has studied and also worked for the U.S. government. He speaks frequently to book clubs, and the schedule for his live video webcasts can be found at his website:
More about Robert Alexander...