Start by marking “Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)” as Want to Read:
Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)

Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington #4)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,415 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Stone Barrington thought he'd heard the last of former girlfriend Arrington after she left him to marry Vance Calder, Hollywood's hottest star. The last thing Stone expected was a desperate call from Calder. Arrington has vanished, and her new fiancé wants Stone to come to LA and find her.

In a town where the sharks drive Bentleys and no one can be trusted, Stone soon disco
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming To Catalina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming To Catalina

Rachel
Oct 28, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're down to just 3 stars. Each book seems to get half a star worse. The sex is increasingly gratuitous. I wish Woods would just let these be mysteries, rather than trying to add in a sex element. It seems so contrived--like I'm reading a nice detective story and then someone slipped in a Playboy amateur writing contest page.

Also, the way Stone, who I generally find to be likable and I believe is written with the intention of being likable--treats and talks about women is, well...far from enli
Lori
Jul 11, 2009 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009july
Ah, the sheer cheesiness of Stone Barrington. You gotta love it.

I think I've mentioned here before that I always read portions of these books to Adam, who then wonders why I bother reading them if they're that bad. But they're of the so-bad-they're-good variety.

As this one is pretty early in the series, I think I'd read it before. But given that I'd ran through most of what I'd brought on vacation (and wasn't willing to tackle the two non-fiction left), I was grateful the MIL had some beach-wort
Denise
Nov 19, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington is so cliche and cheesy, I love him!!!
Lana
Sep 22, 2015 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this crime thriller a lot. The story was very interesting and the writing was impeccable. This is a perfect summer/escapist read that includes mystery, crime, intrigue, and love. This is the fist book in the series I've read, even though it is really #4. I would love to read more in the future.
Mike Tueros
The fourth in the Stone Barrington series, and although slightly formulaic, still enjoyable and a fast summer read (if half stars were available, this would have received 3 1/2). In this installment, Barrington is summoned to Los Angeles to search for his former love interest Arrington, who has since married a famous movie actor, but has also been kidnapped. Her husband, Vance Calder, hires Barrington to track down his missing wife, and thus begins the L.A. saga as only Woods could write. Upon h ...more
Sue
Jan 24, 2014 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I had just finished reading Woods' Choke which was very good when I picked up Swimming to Catalina expecting the same intensity ....was I disappointed!In Swimming to Catalina, Stone Barringtion rushes to LA to rescue his former girlfriend who is now married to a very handsome movie star. Stone, also incredibly handsome, is retired from the NYPD with honors and even though he is only in his early 40's, is now a highly successful lawyer. He only has to shake hands with a beautiful woman and as soo ...more
Skip
Oct 08, 2009 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Stone is called to California to help find his lost love, Arrington, now pregnant and married to Vance Calder, a famous actor. With his usual dalliances, Stone does not cotton to being swept out of town, and stays to solve the mystery, involving shady characters looking to acquire a movie studio to develop its extensive real estate holdings,
John
Nancy
Chuck
Jun 25, 2010 Chuck rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington is hired by his ex-lover's husband to fly to L.A. and find his wife who is missing. This one is pretty predictable and I've decided I personally don't like Barrington.
Richard
I don't know what it is about his books but I am always engrossed and usually read one in 1-2 days. It's relatively light and fluffy with Barrington being the perfect male: tall, dark, handsome, rich, intelligent and sexually attractive to most women. The plots are generally interesting with no great depth but the writing style is so fluent, the words just flow off the page. I love the works of Clancy, Deaver, Follett, Bernard Cornwall to name a few and somehow Woods' novels are up there with th ...more
Kem
Jul 10, 2016 Kem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars because of all of the exciting parts and because the good guys won in interesting ways. What I don't like is how much damage was done by bad guys before they finally got caught. I really don't like to think that mobsters can get away with bad deeds for so long without anyone catching on. I also don't like Stone being so free with his favors. It's like he jumps from bed to bed without knowing who he's sleeping with really. It's bad form and takes some shine off his character for me. The o ...more
Katy
Jun 17, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an amazing book - it starts with a splash (literally) in the prologue, where we find Stone Barrington, bound with duct tape, being chained to an anchor, then summarily thrown into the Pacific. Flashback to New York: he receives a phone call from Vance Calder - Arrington is missing, can Stone come to LA right away? At first Stone demurs, then Vance throws in the kicker - Arrington is pregnant. Whose baby is it? Not even Arrington knows. When Stone gets to LA, however, Vance is behaving ...more
Homewood Public Library
When Vance Calder's wife was kidnapped he did not want to involve the police and he did not want any publicity. So he called Stone in New York. After Stone arrived in L.A. he was given a part in a movie which effectively took his time and kept him from investigating the whereabouts of Arrington Calder. After he finished with the movie he was quickly told all was well and he should return to New York. Since he felt that somtehing was most certainly not right he decided to stay until such time as ...more
Dawn
Jun 25, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read Orchid Blues and for some reason, the writing in it really bothered me. Maybe Woods just writes male characters better. This book reminded me why I like his books. Stone always finds himself in situations where you wonder how on Earth he will survive, but of course, he does. I love that. He is also quite the stud, always hooking up with the beautiful women. I've only read the first two Orchid books, so I hope Woods figured out how to write a female lead, especially since there ar ...more
Trudy
Jul 07, 2014 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed the book, but I will say the amount of times Stone has sex with different people in the book is just ridiculous... I get it already... Stone is supposed to be a stud... great... whatever... now get on with the mystery. The only upside on the frequent sex is the fact that the sex scenes aren't overly involved and don't go into ing a lot of detail so it over as quickly as starts. Lol...
As for the mystery, it was a lot of fun and good second half to "dead in the water" which is S
Regan Crawford-Howard
this was my first Stewart Woods novel. It felt odd not starting with his first book and not having any back story on who the characters were.. But it was easy to get into and the read was pleasant.

Arrington is missing and pregnant (Stone's or Vance's we have yet to find out). Vance is in deep trouble with the mob scene of southern California and who does he call? Stone of course.

thanks for a good read!
Super_Chris
Jun 12, 2011 Super_Chris rated it it was amazing
I've read more Stuart Woods novels than Stuart Woods himself probably has... and this one is just totally, way better than a lot of his newer ones. Don't get me wrong; his newer Stone Barrington series novels are really cool. But this is one of his earlier works and there's so much additional detail, and Barrington seems more like a huiman being than a super hero that just knows all the right answers all the time. Woods runs off on fun tangents; not every page needs to be there but is entertaini ...more
Barbara M
I picked up this series in the middle which I don't usually do. I was disappointed at some of the character's shallowness. The story was OK. Maybe I need to go to the beginning. I prefer my series from one to the end. Perhaps this just wasn't one of the better ones. I've read a couple of books by Woods (not this series) and liked them quite a bit.
Marybeth Wolfe
Dec 27, 2015 Marybeth Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading two heavy books back-to-back, nothing is more refreshing than one of the Stuart Woods early books. Humor me and give this a try. Delightfully light, a bit silly and very entertaining. Everyone is beautiful, rich and successful. Cliche, I know but you'll be hooked on the protagonist Stone Barrington as he solves each predictable mystery.
Peggy
Mar 06, 2015 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart-woods
I have to say this book did not thrill me.Despite there being some very exciting and often heart-stopping moments, overall it felt like Woods was just churning out another book in a series. The unbelievability of some parts turned me off. But I love Stone Barrington and will return to the series after taking a slight break.
Ed Napiorkowski
An interesting story with some interesting characters and an entertaining storyline. I'll admit I prefer investigators who don't cross the line into criminal action themselves whilst solving the case but nevertheless despite that I feel the story was good and I enjoyed it. Some aspects I found a little far fetched but most of the events and characters portrayed were realistic enough to be believable.
3 stars from me.
Harry Lane
This book is consistent with the others in the Stone Barrington series. Stone is brought into a situation that is more complex than it appears, investigates, seduces or is seduced by attractive women, and in the end wriggles out of deadly danger in the process of bringing the miscreants to their just deserts.
Marguerite Czajka
May 12, 2016 Marguerite Czajka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually read series in order, for some reason I didn't do it with these - so I'm going back. This one - 4th in the series - is so much better than Woods' most recent Stone Barrington books. So I'm going to read the early ones - I wish Woods would do that also and get reminded why they were best-sellers.
Ed
May 06, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Stone Barrington series. Barrington establishing the basis of the Vance Calder thread which he will follow through more than 30 subsequent series entries.

Stone Barrington mystery - Actor Vance Calder's wife disappears in L.A. in a novel of mobsters and the movie industry.
Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What an odd book. Ostensibly set in the present when published in '98, it's really much more like a manuscript from '55 with too few updates. Set in Hollywood, the characters have names like Barbara and Vance, there are mob connections. Straight out of the Bond franchise, every woman Stone meets is young and comely and instantly in lust, the cars are fast and expensive, blah, blah, blah. I read the first third with interest, the second third on inertia, and the final third just looking for stuff ...more
Diane Wachter
Arrington Calder disappears and Stone Barrington is called to LA by her husband Vance to find her. Stone finds himself drowning in a sea of empty clues and needs to find Arrington before he ends up swimming with the fishes himself. Okay...not a fan of the Barrington character.
Richard Becker
Apr 08, 2016 Richard Becker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: california
This was a book I read during my lunch break each day for the last few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed another tale of Stone Barrington and his adventures. This time it was in California and involved mobsters and the movie business.
Carol A. Weiss
Oct 07, 2015 Carol A. Weiss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another riveting story

Always fast paced, his story telling really entertains and this was no exception. I like that he uses some of the same characters while introducing new ones onto the story line.
Sharon
Jun 16, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Mr. Woods. I love the Stone Barrington character. The story opens with him in an impossible situation, and backtracks to fill in the details of how he got to this point. Then it goes on from there to weave an intricate story of deceit, lies and betrayals. Well done!
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Stardust (Spenser, #17)
  • Silent Partner
  • Wolf, No Wolf
  • Trust Fund
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery, #10)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • The Fury (Henry Parker, #4)
  • Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)
  • Sly Fox (Dani Fox, #1)
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

“Stone’s shoulder and pointed. “There’s” 0 likes