Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)

Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  3,670 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Stone Barrington thought he'd heard the last of former girlfriend Arrington after she left him to marry Vance Calder, Hollywood's hottest star. The last thing Stone expected was a desperate call from Calder. Arrington has vanished, and her new fiancé wants Stone to come to LA and find her.

In a town where the sharks drive Bentleys and no one can be trusted, Stone soon disco...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1998)

Rachel
We're down to just 3 stars. Each book seems to get half a star worse. The sex is increasingly gratuitous. I wish Woods would just let these be mysteries, rather than trying to add in a sex element. It seems so contrived--like I'm reading a nice detective story and then someone slipped in a Playboy amateur writing contest page.

Also, the way Stone, who I generally find to be likable and I believe is written with the intention of being likable--treats and talks about women is, well...far from enli...more
Lori
Ah, the sheer cheesiness of Stone Barrington. You gotta love it.

I think I've mentioned here before that I always read portions of these books to Adam, who then wonders why I bother reading them if they're that bad. But they're of the so-bad-they're-good variety.

As this one is pretty early in the series, I think I'd read it before. But given that I'd ran through most of what I'd brought on vacation (and wasn't willing to tackle the two non-fiction left), I was grateful the MIL had some beach-wort...more
Sue
I had just finished reading Woods' Choke which was very good when I picked up Swimming to Catalina expecting the same intensity ....was I disappointed!In Swimming to Catalina, Stone Barringtion rushes to LA to rescue his former girlfriend who is now married to a very handsome movie star. Stone, also incredibly handsome, is retired from the NYPD with honors and even though he is only in his early 40's, is now a highly successful lawyer. He only has to shake hands with a beautiful woman and as soo...more
Skip
Stone is called to California to help find his lost love, Arrington, now pregnant and married to Vance Calder, a famous actor. With his usual dalliances, Stone does not cotton to being swept out of town, and stays to solve the mystery, involving shady characters looking to acquire a movie studio to develop its extensive real estate holdings,
Chuck
Stone Barrington is hired by his ex-lover's husband to fly to L.A. and find his wife who is missing. This one is pretty predictable and I've decided I personally don't like Barrington.
Denise
Stone Barrington is so cliche and cheesy, I love him!!!
Katy
Wow, what an amazing book - it starts with a splash (literally) in the prologue, where we find Stone Barrington, bound with duct tape, being chained to an anchor, then summarily thrown into the Pacific. Flashback to New York: he receives a phone call from Vance Calder - Arrington is missing, can Stone come to LA right away? At first Stone demurs, then Vance throws in the kicker - Arrington is pregnant. Whose baby is it? Not even Arrington knows. When Stone gets to LA, however, Vance is behaving...more
Homewood Public Library
When Vance Calder's wife was kidnapped he did not want to involve the police and he did not want any publicity. So he called Stone in New York. After Stone arrived in L.A. he was given a part in a movie which effectively took his time and kept him from investigating the whereabouts of Arrington Calder. After he finished with the movie he was quickly told all was well and he should return to New York. Since he felt that somtehing was most certainly not right he decided to stay until such time as...more
Super_Chris
I've read more Stuart Woods novels than Stuart Woods himself probably has... and this one is just totally, way better than a lot of his newer ones. Don't get me wrong; his newer Stone Barrington series novels are really cool. But this is one of his earlier works and there's so much additional detail, and Barrington seems more like a huiman being than a super hero that just knows all the right answers all the time. Woods runs off on fun tangents; not every page needs to be there but is entertaini...more
Joan
After I read Unnatural Acts, I gave up on Stuart Woods and his character, Stone Barrington (Barrington grates on the nerves if you read too many of his exploits; and his character has become less mature and more annoying as he's aged); but when I came across this old book in a thrift store for $.25 I got it because it was published in 1998 and I thought maybe it would feature the old Stone Barrington that I used to love. It was definitely better than Unnatural Acts, but I guess I've just tired o...more
Will
Stone comes to rescue Arrington from kidnapping. Vance Calder cons Stone to LA to help find Arrington, who has been kidnapped. He attempts to confuse Stone and send him home dumb, but Stone stand pat and resumes the search. Vance is being blackmailed by Sturmack and Ippolito to turn over Centurion Studio stock so they can build a new Century City on the footprint. Ippolito attempts to murder Stone but fails and the cover up silences the thugs. Stone manages to drive them crazy, rescue Arrington...more
Bel
Cheesy, predictable but fun....
Gramy
The main character in the series is Stone Barrington, an ex-NYPD detective who is now practicing law. Vance Calder, now married to Stone's ex - Arrington, calls him for help in finding her. Stone flies to California and ends up involved in another mystery, which is very entertaining. The sexual exploits are not necessary and not appreciated. Stone ends up tied to an anchor and dropped in the ocean. Way to make a splash!
Phyllis
Jun 18, 2008 Phyllis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Phyllis by: Carroll Deadmon
I grabbed this off the bookshelf to take
to Canada for a quick read. Although it
was a typical detective story, I found
myself enjoying the antics of Stone
Barrington (just the hero's name should
give you a clue). But it was humorous and
full of action, death-defying escapes that
made you laugh. I would recommend for when
you have just finished a book that was just
too detailed.
Joy
I'm not sure why I continue to read these books, beyond a desire to understand why others are reading these and actually like them. Stone Barrington is not only morally bankrupt but, stupid to boot. If the author could focus on the mystery portion of his books they would be better. There is no realistic character development because Stone and his friends have no real character.
Lynn
Very entertaining listening to in the car. The ending was almost like a James Bond movie. Fast paced, vivid descriptions, good characterization. AND he is very prolific! It is nice to know the characters "are to be continued". I will be looking forward to finding more about his relationship to Arrington in his future books. I think I am becoming an audiobook junkie.
Kristen
If you love a great action-packed thriller for an easy read, you'll love Stuart Woods's Stone Barrington series with lots of drama and suspense in each page-turning chapter to get you hooked for the long run, and lots of hints of romance in between, to make you sigh for Stone. This is a good read.
Ben
This felt like I was reading a movie. I wished there would have been some sort of devious twist, but maybe that's not what Woods writes. The only thing that really irked me was when the name of a company changed from Abalone Fisheries to Albacore Fisheries midway through the book. That was... odd.
Ken
Like watching a movie on the Lifetime Channel. An average read with our hero having more sex in a month than most of us ever will. Story is okay, and drags itself to a finish in the last quarter with an ending straight out of a hollywood action flick. Not great but not bad, either.
Mary Newcomb
Arrington is in trouble and that is all Stone Barrington needs to hear. He is on the next plane (actually private jet) to LA and some interesting adventures. Once he has it all figured out, the investigation is tied up in a neat little package.
KarenC
Another Stone Barrington; won't he ever learn? Arrington Carrington Calder turns up in trouble again & Stone needs to keep it hush-hush. A page-turner that's more fun than watching re-runs on TV, even some of the CSI's or Law & Orders.
Annamarie
This is #4 of the series. Very cool. Woods' books keep me occupied on my commutes. I've listened to most of them, switching to the book at nights or on weekends, and enjoy the immensely. Stone certainly always gets the girls, doesn't he?
David Caldwell
Stone Barrington #4.

Fun but predictable read. I read a lot of this and remember enjoying them but not a lot of details. I am sure though that if i looked at it again , it would all come back fairly quickly. My dad still enjoys them.
Terry
Another excellent Stuart Woods book. His stories just
flow so easily, yet you are kept in suspense just about
the whole way. This is another Stone Barrington exciting
read. Will be reading the next one in the series very
soon!
Amy
4th book in the series and the main character is finally becoming less superficial - a little bit anyway. This is still a good series to read when you don't want to be provoked to think about serious things.
Denice Hogan
Awesome book as usual for Stuart Woods. Typical drama but you really did not know what was going on through the whole book. You kept changing who was the villian. Kept your interest right up until the end.
Marion
a few inaccuracies and problems with continuity. a good story but predictable and not enough meat in it. the author could have written this story just as effectively with 50 fewer pages.
Brent Derry
This was the first Stuart Woods book I read. It's the one that got me hooked. So because of that I gave it 5 stars. I will always remember the storyline, which is a great one.
Ginny
Has Stone ever met a woman who doesn't drop her clothes at the sight of him. What is up with that. Another, improbable, but enjoyable Arrington/Barrington novel.
John
It's amazing how Stone Barrington can find so much time to have casual sex, while he is searching for a kidnapped former lover, who may be carrying his baby.
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • Naked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #14)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Everglades
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Justice Denied
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)