Start by marking “Good in a Room” as Want to Read:
Good in a Room

Good in a Room

Whether you work in Hollywood or not, the fact is that selling ideas is really difficult to do. The reason the pitching secrets of the most successful writers and directors are relevant is because these people have evolved an advanced method for selling ideas.
Whether you’re a screenwriter, a journalist with an idea for a story, an entrepreneur with a business plan, an inv
Published March 11th 2008 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Good in a Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good in a Room

Mark Bullard
Sep 07, 2012 Mark Bullard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for a business person, especially an entrepreneurial one. While it's not at the top of my list. I would recommend it to anyone that expects to have to "pitch" their ideas. Business today is acting more and more like Hollywood in one important way. More and more businesses today are formed, run and dismantled like a movie production than ever before. A group of experts in different areas come together, create a concept, drive it to a logical conclusion and then move on to anot ...more
Jay
Nov 26, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills, success
*Good in a Room* is one of those books that you read once and refer to many times. Read it the first time to pick up some valuable ideas. Keep it on your shelf for reference as you prepare for and attend those big meetings that can change your life or build your career.

In his book *The Success Principles*, Jack Canfield advises you to develop an elevator speech to pitch your products and serviced in a matter of seconds. In *Good In A Room*, Stephanie Palmer says the elevator pitch leads you to p
Landis
Jun 09, 2017 Landis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to get perspective from a former gate keeper via the world of studio movies.

There are also some great take aways for non industry people as well.

The greatest take away for me was to always stay courteous and professional as you build your relationships in your career.

Seems like common sense but if that were the case, she would not have written the book and we wouldn't be reading it.
Jacob
Feb 08, 2017 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward and very helpful look at how to prepare in a way that puts you in a position to succeed. Wish I had come across this book 9 years ago when it was written.
Alberto Lopez
Feb 22, 2017 Alberto Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
While it is structured in a way that may at first seem over-simplistic, I found its approach quite clear and effective. Moreover, the book is full of great valuable insights. Ms. Palmer did a fantastic job!
Stacy
This book is well-known among screenwriters (and if it isn't, it should be), but it's also great for other business situations. In fact, the principles would probably work better in business situations outside of Hollywood because typically, no matter how competitive an industry might be, it's probably not as competitive as Hollywood.

It's a great book if you own your own business and are looking for clients, if you're looking for a job, AND if you're trying to sell your screenplay. Breaks down
Dmitry Kuriakov
Ещё одна книга, которая была куплена, основываясь на отзывах на Озоне. И которая ещё более неоднозначна, чем книга Барбары Минто «Принцип пирамиды Минто». Книга «Пришел, увидел, убедил» очень сильно напоминает следующие книги: «Как плавать среди акул и не быть съеденным заживо» Харви Маккея, «Как завоевывать друзей и оказывать влияние на людей» Дейла Карнеги, книги по нетворкингу, серия книг Джефри Фокса, книгу Джо Джирарда «Как продать что угодно кому угодно», книгу Ларри Кинга «Как разговарива ...more
Jen
Mar 03, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
As I'm preparing for my pitch next summer at a writers' conference, I'm trying to get my hands on books that will help me in my pursuit of publication. This was one such book.

Stephanie Palmer has written a guide perfect for nearly everyone who's ever wanted to sell anything. I'll admit I'm not much of a salesperson. I'm introverted, shy with new people, and I often come across as lacking confidence. In other words, I'm a perfect candidate for her target market.

I learned several lessons from Good
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
The interesting premise, well, temporarily interesting I'm afraid, being authored by a highly successful Hollywood executive telling us the secrets of connecting well in any situation....what to do, what not to do, stages and scenarios, all with lovely little examples from "real life" inside the Hollywood business culture. It's all good when you're reading the first intriguing bits, but it does go on a bit in a formulaic style: Subject, Hollywood story example, summary, example as to how to appl ...more
Alissa
This is an excellent business book for anyone who presents ideas at work, owns a small business, attends networking events or is involved in any type of selling. It’s subtitle is: how to sell yourself (and your ideas) and win over any audience.

The first section I skimmed a lot but once I got to the second part I really started to understand what Palmer was driving at and went back and re-read the first few chapters. Based on her experience as a movie studio executive who was pitched ideas day in
Don Weidinger
Jan 24, 2014 Don Weidinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
theatrical major, business like HS who liked and bond with care about love, do homework, to say yes and honored to be entrusted with your business, meet and exceed expectations, what do they want make it easy, go do 1 request offer notes, humble confidence, success verses respect, process success and result success, if willing to die easier to live, titles teaser trailer, elevator myth like kissing, business is personal honesty eye-eye, host small dinner parties, 1person at a time diverse group ...more
Luke Boyce
These are generally not the kinds of books I like. Their information usually tends to be too oversimplified, general or full of platitudes to be useful, and I'm the kind of person who learns more by experience. But my current professional situation encouraged me to give it a read and It was not the waste of time I expected it to be. Stephanie gets to the point which I liked. She has some excellent steps and advice on how to be "good in a room," something that is a required skill in my profession ...more
Janie Sederberg
Aug 27, 2015 Janie Sederberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great "how to" for anyone who has to give pitches/presentations for anything in their career. Not-for-profits, startups, sales, creatives, etc. will all benefit from this very thought out and detailed guide for "getting in a room" (i.e. in the room to give the pitch), preparing for the pitch, presenting the pitch and follow up. The author was an exec in Hollywood that reviewed screenplays for possible production and took her observations of hundreds, if not thousands, of pitches and distilled ...more
V.C. Remus
I don't like to use the term "common sense", as that's not really much more than a bundle of information which varies from person to person, but a lot of what was discussed in this book was common knowledge. However, there were some surprisingly helpful tips in this book, as well.
A healthy sense of tact is important in today's age, and developing relationships is also a vital aspect in becoming a successful individual. Working as a consultant over the years, Palmer shares with us tips and trick
Kirk
Dec 02, 2009 Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author works in Hollywood, and the book has a sharp slant toward working in that market.

Still, the advice on self presentation seems good, although it's already been a while since I finished the book and all I can remember off the top of my head is using "titles, teasers, and trailers" rather than an elevator pitch. The rest is the kind of information that instantly makes sense, almost like you already knew it but had to be reminded. Of course, knowing the info and putting it into practice a
Derek
Apr 09, 2013 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are someone that works with ... people ... even in IT then you should read this book. Every one of us is some part salesman in our home/work life. If you've ever had to pitch an idea to your: board, boss, employees, spouse, kids, then this book will be a valuable tool for you. Stephanie Palmer is a former MGM exec who listened to movie pitches all day and she separates the good techniques from the bad techniques and in cases gives step by step checklists to validate your pitch techniques. ...more
Josh Maher
Apr 01, 2015 Josh Maher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really impressed, after reading Creativity Inc. and Subliminal I really found Good in a Room to be practical implementation guidance that was referenced in Creativity Inc and academically discussed in Subliminal.

If you just want to dive into networking, pitching, and selling in ways that aren't slimey and are well suited for the creative type just buy this book. I promise you'll learn something.

If you want the academic background, go read Subliminal. Here's the rest of the review http://joshma
Dany Le Goaix
I would recommend this book to adults graduating university and getting into the workplace. I liked all the reinforcements and the fact that she dissed networking without a plan.

-be successful in face-to-face meeting
-Avoid the secret dealbreakers of the first ninety seconds of face to face meetings
-Be confident in high-pressure situations - prep, prep, prep
-Present yourself better and more effectively
Matthew
Good, but not great, book of tips on "the pitch." The author comes from a background as a big Hollywood producer and applies lessons from how scriptwriters and other creative pros successfully sell the studios/producers on their ideas to other realms of persuasion and sales.

She has some contrarian advice and some conventional advice, and some unique tidbits. If you're the type of person who enjoys books about sales, this is a pretty decent one to pick up.
Mary
Dec 31, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. This is an overview of how to impress people, not just as a public speaker, but one-on-one. Lots of good, easy to read advice, from someone who has been on both sides of the conversation. I intend to reread it, with a highlighter. The best advice she gives is to not rush things and let a relationship develop. Any sales person would benefit from reading this.

I highly recommend it, especially for people who need to sell ideas.
Tamica Lewis
Aug 15, 2014 Tamica Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this little nugget which was suggested by some authors I saw at Comicpalooza. It was great advice! Although I already did some of this stuff and knew some other stuff, I had not put the information together just like this before. It was just floating out there, untethered thoughts in my mind, unformed. Reading this book helped me put those thoughts together and create a framework to approach high-stress meeting and situations.
Annette
Oct 29, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: freelance creative professionals, small-business owners
This is good stuff for anyone to review, even if you already have a nice handle on homework, presentation and follow-up. A lot of folks - especially creatives, with so much emotional investment in the work - have a hard time keeping follow-ups in perspective...so having an algorithm is seriously useful.
Savvymaami
Nov 24, 2009 Savvymaami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough good things about this book. Palmer was a straight-shooter when it came to the facts and the delivery of her message. She skipped the fluff and told you exactly what you need to do in order to effectively negotiate or network your ideas. This will become a reference manual for me in my most important meetings. One of the best negotiating books out there.
Kelli Koehler
Meh. This book didn't apply to me as much as I thought it would. If you are a screenwriter trying to pitch your movie, then you should definitely read this, otherwise you'll probably be disappointed.
Andrew
May 09, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very informative self-help book that turns all the conventional ideas of how to sell yourself right on their head. As a screenwriter, it really helped me to realize what I need to do to sell my work and become successful. The most interesting section for me was on networking.
Bart
Feb 15, 2009 Bart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best business book I have read. Stephanie Palmer presents her ideas and give realistic examples to show how to put her these ideas into action. This book is great for everyone. We all want to be good in a room.
Brady
Nov 18, 2013 Brady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Largely tailored for Hollywood idea pitches, despite having some smaller case studies about business applications. Pretty generic stuff. Didn't walk away with any "aha" moments or things I can apply, although I do share her frustration with typical networking events.
Yougo
Jul 04, 2012 Yougo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Salespeople
Shelves: self-help, business
Not quite what I expected. I was expecting a 'networking' book, one on how to get better about talking to people in 'networking' situations. This is mainly a new approach to the meeting. A good read, but not what I expected.
Paige
Oct 20, 2008 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-misc
Not exactly what I was going for. It was geared towards people who are specifically selling something...and I've read better versions. Might be different if it was more applicable to my state of life.
Camila
Jan 06, 2016 Camila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not the target reader but still enjoyed the book and could appreciate the tips. I might end up having to sell things at work and will definitely be consulting this book again in case that happens.
  • The Secrets of Successful Communication: A Simple Guide to Effective Encounters in Business (Big Brain vs. Little Brain Communication)
  • Make It Happen, A Healthy, Competitive Approach to Achieving Personal Success (3 Off the Tee, #2)
  • The Contrarian′s Guide to Leadership (J-B Warren Bennis Series)
  • The Coffee Break Screenwriter: Writing Your Script Ten Minutes at a Time
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Win the Crowd: Unlock the Secrets of Influence, Charisma, and Showmanship
  • How to Wow: Proven Strategies for Presenting Your Ideas, Persuading Your Audience, and Perfecting Your Image
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • You Can Negotiate Anything: The World's Best Negotiator Tells You How To Get What You Want
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • The Irresistible Offer: How to Sell Your Product or Service in 3 Seconds or Less
  • The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Stephanie Palmer coaches business leaders and creative professionals in a wide range of industries to help them get their ideas the attention and financing they deserve. As part of MGM’s executive team for six years, she supervised twenty films with multimillion dollar budgets, including the international screen hit, Legally Blonde. She has been featured in The Los Angeles Times, Variety and on NP ...more
More about Stephanie Palmer...