Start by marking “Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1)

Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  11,220 ratings  ·  641 reviews
Collared and controlled, Shifters are outcast from humanity, forced to live in Shiftertowns. But waiting within are passions that no Collar can contain.

Like most Shifters, Liam Morrissey has learned that trusting humans leads to no good. But when a beautiful attorney enters Shiftertown alone, Liam's alpha nature leaves him no choice but to offer his protection.

Tasked with
Paperback, 2011, 282 pages
Published July 5th 2011 by Berkley Sensation (first published January 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pride Mates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride Mates

Kat Kennedy
It's important to remember, before you recommend a beloved book to me, that I am a salacious hellspawn deposited onto this earth for the express purpose of destroying all that you love and violating that which you hold most dear.

Pride Mates is a strange concoction of 3 parts instaloving alpha male, 2 parts nonsensical female MC and half a part of shaky world-building. Put them all together and they just kind of distill into a boring muckwater that you neither want to drink - or pour out into th
UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

Where can I find an "I LOVE LIAM" bumper sticker?

Pride Mates was a great start to a new series! The introduction into the Shiftertown world and hierarchy was interesting and never boring, which is no small feat for the first book in a series. The way the characters were developed and introduced into the story made me feel like I was meeting new friends, and not reading a who’s who of the Shifter world.

I loved Liam! I loved him so much that I want an I LOVE LIAM bumper sticker. He was such an aw
Elizabeth
3.5 Lovin' Liam Stars

"A girl walks into a bar...
No. A human girl walks into a Shifter bar."

Pride Mates is my first read by Jennifer Ashley. I strive to read a variety of genres and authors. Although my preference seems to be a modern romance (with a hint of dark), I occasionally dabble in the paranormal sector of the book world. Pride Mates was quite an intriguing read.

description

Jennifer Ashley has created a world where Shifters (animals that can shift into humans and visa versa) are forced to wear a coll
Catherine
*Originally Read 12/5/10*

After accidentally leaving a book I was reading at work I was restlessly prowling my shelves when I came upon this. I'd heard some pretty good things about the book and I enjoyed some of this author's other books, so I figured I'd finally give it a go. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it unfortunately didn't thrill me as much as it did some of my friends.

The premise of the book was one of the most interesting parts for me. I really liked the society the author describ
The Holy Terror
Before you get discouraged by my two star rating I just want to say that I will be reading the next installment when it comes out. There were just enough unique ideas that the author came up with that I want to continue reading. This series has a good premise but it's literally oozing with the cheesy trappings of the paranormal romance genre.

District Attorney Kim Fraser has a Shifter murder case dumped in her lap. The Shifter had a human girlfriend who got killed and he's blamed for it even thou
Laura the Highland Hussy
I loved this book! Kim is a defense attorney who drew the short straw and is defending a Shifter named Brian. Kim goes to Liam, the second in command of Shiftertown, TX and holds her own on a virile, hot Shifter male. They are all Collared, but what if someone wanted his off? what would happen? Liam claims Kim as his mate, and she wants him, but not all this mating business. Too bad her heart has other ideas. She falls in love with him and they take down Fergus, the clan leader and all around as ...more
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 3 Sexy Liam Hearts!! :)

Pride Mates is an entertaining, fast-paced shifter story with all the elements that make up a "good" PNR read present – an engaging plot, likeable characters, and a steamy, sizzling romance. Liam is the ultimate Irish alpha male, and his protective urges and attraction for Kim are sexy as all get out. Simply loved him! Kim is a strong, take-no-shit from anyone, fierce heroine, and her personality is a refreshing change from the usual doormat heroines. We also have
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
"No Shifters Allowed!" - That's exactly what fascinated me in this book, this racist mentality both in law and society in general. Legally shifters aren't able to get high paid jobs or buy luxury items. Proprietors are allowed to ban shifters from their premises and racism against them is tolerated because they're "animals".

They're an oppressed people forced to wear collars that suppress their more aggressive animal personality traits and when they think about or are about to act out violence,
Beanbag Love
I've had this on my Kindle so long I nearly forgot about it. Years! But I finally cracked it this weekend and I'm kicking myself for not getting on board earlier.

First an admission. I love shifters. I'm more a shifter girl than a vampire girl. Vampires -- usually -- are dead. That kind of bothers me. Oh, I can get over it for Bones, Spade, Vlad and Mencheres, but mostly ... ew.

That said, not every shifter story is good. I've read a lot of stinkers, which has made me leery of starting anything n
Gina

OMG OMG OMG!!! I have been looking for a paranormal series to get into and I finally found it! I have had this book forever and have been ignoring it, what an idiot i was! This is my first shifter book as well, so I didn't know what to expect. What I got was a non-stop, heart racing, lots of hot steam sex and OMG swooning, I love these two story!

Let's start with Liam....Liam....OMG....Liam! I love this guy, he is a true leader, strong (mentally and physically), compassionate, fair, loyal. And of
Laurie Garrison
I simply loved this book. It has everything that I enjoy in a good paranormal romance. Let me give you a small list; some violence,(lets just say this book is not for the faint of heart in some parts), some humor, a mystery, excitement, sizzling hot sex, and a shape shifting world unlike I have never read before.

Here is a small list of things I liked; Liam and Kim have the right amount of sizzle, each is stubborn at times, then they are totally working together in their romance. So you don’t ge
Faye
Read: October 2014
Rating: 5/5 stars - one of the best reads of 2014
The couple: Liam & Kim

This is the first novel in the 'Shifters Unbound' paranormal romance series. I am quite picky over my paranormal romance and there are a lot of tropes in the genre that can put me off a series - for example very possessive, borderline misogynist male protagonists seem to be particularly prevalent in PNR.
However Pride Mates - and the entire series that I have read up to this point - have been brilliant. T
Holly
I thought this book was absolutely wonderful!! I am a huge Shifter fan, but this book was more than just Shifters. It was a wonderful story about love and family! I loved the characters, their strength and their vulnerability. This book made me cry and laugh right out loud, I can officially say I am in love with a big Fae-Cat named Liam!! LOL :) But I truly can't believe I have to wait over 7 months for Sean's story (which sounds phenomenal btw!)
Leah
Wendy
Wow, I love Jennifer Ashley's writing. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it has a great storyline and hot alpha males, that are guaranteed to make your toes curl ;) What more can you ask for?
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly
Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound #1) by Jennifer Ashley

Jennifer Ashley introduces us to a new and unique view of Shapeshifters in Pride Mates, the first book in her Shifters Unbound series.

This bool takes us to Austin TX where Kim Fraser is a DA assigned to defend her client, a shifter, in a murder case. Shifters had made their presence known to the world and 20 years ago they were given collars to control their animal instincts and keep them in line. The collars, made by a 1/2 Fae and half human,
Cindyg
I really enjoyed the first installment of Shifters Unbound. I liked the characters, found them engaging, honest and loyal. Liam...what a shifter...
The story moved at a good pace and I was able to understand the world Ms. Ashley developed without all the extra explanations. It kept my attention and was an easy read.
Oh and there is wonderful lovin, raw, and sensual sex scenes which I think were done very well.
I am looking forward the next book in the series. I hope it's Sean's story.
Highly recomme
D.G.
**3.5 stars**

This was more deep than I thought it would be. It dealt with discrimination, instincts vs. reason, love of family and sacrifice for the good of all. Throw in a heroine who was smart and brave without being TSTL and you have us a winner.

In this world, Shifters came out 20 years ago and they are treated like second class citizens. They must wear a Collar to control their violent tendencies and they live in ghetto-like communities, are not allowed high paying jobs or even technology li
Mandi Schreiner
Twenty years ago, shifters came out to the public and since then, they have been portrayed as wild, reckless creatures that have limited rights and are discriminated against by many humans. If they don’t want to face immediate death, they must were a fae-made collar, one that expands when they shift so it is always on them. This collar supposedly keeps the shifters from acting violent, giving them severe pain if they cross that line.

Kim Fraser is an attorney who has been handed a shifter murder
Lauren
Pride Mates
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Scorned and feared, shifters are believed to be animals in human form and are kept on the fringes of society. Assigned to defend a shifter on murder charges, up and coming defense lawyer, Kim Fraser, is in over her head and seeks the help of shifter leader, Liam Morrissey. Liam’s charm and wit cannot conceal the undercurrents of power that characterize him and Kim will need his strength and protection both to unravel the mystery and for her very survival.

Review:
An inte
Steffi
Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley is a surprisingly new and refreshing take on the shifter world.
I half expected some run-of-the-mill story with growling alphas trying to dominate their mates by... surprise surprise...having wild monkey sex.

Of course, Liam and Kim do have lots of sex but this new paranormal world is anything but ordinary. Humans have officially acknowledged shifters but to keep them under control all that are able to turn into something furry have to wear a collar to keep their b
chucklesthescot
This is the typical paranormal romance involving smart human girl falling for sexy dangerous shifter. It was well written, not over-descriptive and a decent fluffy read if you want to gloss over a few things. Another plus point were the side characters of Glory, Dylan, Connor and Sean.
Kim, honey you are meant to be smart but you decide to stand in a room full of hostile shifters and mouth off to the Alpha which could get your lover and his family killed? You were thinking 'Liam just shut her th
Jill
Having just finished The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie I moved on to a totally different sort of Jennifer Ashley book. It was very hard, and I feel I felt less moved about this book because the previous hero was just amazing (oh Ian I wish you every happiness with Beth)

However in saying that, this was a very enjoyable book with a totally different way of looking at shifters in the world. Segregated and declined basic things (higher education for one) just because of the way they are born, this b
Deea (Andreea)
I've tried listening to several (new to me) series lately (sometimes audiobooks are the only way I can deal with insomnia or that 'so exhausted I can't even fall asleep' state), and this one was the only one that kept me invested enough to enjoy the entire book and make me want to read the next books in the series as well. Very interesting and refreshing premise, based on my new addiction - Shifters (btw I love paranormal books where the humans know about the supernaturals!), good plot, strong c ...more
Kenya Wright
Absolutly loved it! It wasn't classic literary art! But I was entertained, enjoyed the characters, etc. The mystery was kind of simple, but I didn't care about solving it. The hero and heroine was the focus! "Top of the morning to you!" one of my favortie scenes!! Loved the book and I will definetly be reading more in this series.
Barbara ★
Irish born Liam Morrissey is a feline shifter (some kind of Fae cat cross-breed) and the go-to guy for the clan. I liked Liam from the first sentence he uttered. He is beyond contrary but in a nice Irish brogue kinda way. He's immediately intrigued with human lawyer, Kim Frasier, though relations with humans is frowned upon. He's instantly protective and overly friendly but then again all shifters are very huggy kind of people. I also liked Kim she's the lawyer trying to get another shifter out ...more
Anja
I accidentally stumbled over that series and after reading the plot I was like:"Shifters. Sounds like my kind of thing.". I wasn't wrong at all.

I like the world that was created, gave me a bit of a X-Men vibe. With the shifters to fit in the world, but denied the same rights as humans, because they think they're dangerous and as we've learned through the course of the book they can be very dangerous.

I like the shifterworld and the contrast of the human world, trying to co-exist and the author
May Mostly Romance
Pride Mates ของเจนนิเฟอร แอชลีย

หนังสือเลมนีเปนเลมแรกในหนังสือชุดใหมแนวพารานอมอลเรืองราวของมนุษยทีกลายรางเปนสัตวได ชือชุดวา Shifter Unbound เรืองราวเหลามนุษยกลายรางทีไดกลายเปนสวนหนึงในสังคมมนุษยไปแลว

เมือยีสิบปีกอนเหลามนุษยกลายรางไดออกมาประกาศตัวแกสาธารณชนถึงการมีอยูจริงของพวกเขา ผลลัพธกคือ พวกเขาถูกจับใสปลอกคอทีมีเวทมนตร ซึงสามารถควบคุมพวกเขาจากการใชความรุนแรง นอกจากนีพวกเขากกลายเปนเหมือนพลเมืองชันสองทีถูกหามจากการทำหลายสิงหลายอยาง ไมวาจะเปนการทำงานทีตองใชสมอง หรือกระทังการดูเคเบิลทีวีทีพวกเขาไมม
CaroB
4 stars for the world building, 3 stars for the romance/ character interaction = 3.5 stars total.

I think this is the first shifter book I've read where the world has them as the underdogs, not superhumans with special powers; they are segregated and discriminated against by the human world, in a way that to me seems reminiscent of the African-American communities of the 1950's and 60's. This premise, as awful as it is, made a strange sort of sense to me in this scenario, because most humans fear
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
First a Human Lawyer Kim, comes to a shifter bar to talk to a man who is in the know about shifters. Liam - hot faecat shifter. He talks to her and offers her protection because shifters don't like humans... well, kinda sorta... She is defending a shifter Brian who is in prison for murder & she needs witnesses etc. No one wants to talk to her.

Things happen & she is blindly mated to Liam. This book describes the rules and ways of shifters etc., and has so many things going on that are di
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Steel Beauty (Halle Pumas, #4)
  • Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • Omega Mine (Alpha and Omega, #1)
  • Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling, #9)
  • A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Wolves, #1)
  • His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1)
  • Unbound (Time Hunters #2.5, Shifters Unbound #4.5, The Elementals #1.5)
  • Blood Law (Blood Moon Rising Trilogy, #1)
  • Hour of the Lion (The Wild Hunt Legacy, #1)
  • Dire Needs (Eternal Wolf Clan, #1)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Shifters Unbound (8 books)
  • Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)
  • Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3)
  • Mate Claimed (Shifters Unbound, #4)
  • Tiger Magic (Shifters Unbound, #5)
  • Wild Wolf (Shifters Unbound, #6)
  • Mate Bond (Shifters Unbound, #7)
  • White Tiger (Shifters Unbound, #8)
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie (MacKenzies & McBrides, #1) Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2) The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)

“He looked like a man who'd invite you to rest your head on his shoulder while he made everything bad go away.” 20 likes
“The house swallowed them. Dylan put his hands on Kim's and Liam's shoulders. "The Goddess bless you both." He kissed Kim's forehead. "Thank you Kim."

He smiled and walked away. Liam watched him, his heart full.

"Is he thanking me for getting pregnant?" Kim asked. "It wasn't difficult, with all the sex we kept having. You did as much as I did.”
13 likes