Start by marking “Napa: The Story of an American Eden” as Want to Read:
Napa: The Story of an American Eden

Napa: The Story of an American Eden

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
James Conaway's remarkable bestseller delves into the heart of California's lush and verdant Napa Valley, also known as America's Eden. Long the source of succulent grapes and singular wines, this region is also the setting for the remarkable true saga of the personalities behind the winemaking empires. This is the story of Gallos and Mondavis, of fortunes made and lost, o ...more
Published October 24th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Napa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Napa

World Atlas of Wine by Hugh JohnsonRed, White, and Drunk All Over by Natalie MacLeanThe Oxford Companion to Wine by Jancis RobinsonWine and War by Don KladstrupThe New France by Andrew Jefford
Best Wine Books
6th out of 68 books — 50 voters
Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodora KroeberThe World Rushed In by J.S. HollidaySan Francisco's Playland at the Beach by James R. SmithSan Francisco's Playland at the Beach by James R. SmithThe Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson
Northern Californian history (nonfiction)
12th out of 63 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Scribd
Sep 11, 2015 Scribd rated it really liked it
Shelves: friday-reads
I could claim that my attraction to this book stems from my New Years Resolution to explore more of my adopted region. Or, that it has to do with my conscious effort to read more nonfiction. But the truth is, James Conaway’s bestselling history of Napa lured me in because I’m a total wino. And it kept me in with its exquisite prose, exemplified by lush descriptions of the region like this one:

Sediments miles deep depressed and broke apart the ocean floor, releasing molten rock that eventually li
Ivory
Jun 04, 2012 Ivory rated it it was ok
I found this book to be merely OK. The idea behind "Napa" is a noble one: to set out the history of the Napa Valley's transformation into the wine mecca it is today. However, the author tried to cram too much into one volume (vintners, wineries, politics, tourism, etc.) and the book reads as vignette after vignette, with little tying them together. Very disjointed.
karen
Nov 04, 2009 karen rated it liked it
I miss Napa and want to learn more about the area...reading it makes me feel like I am there rather than on the NYC subway. Barbara L., if you are reading this...I WANT TO GO BACK!

OK, read most of the book and then just got stuck! I am done with this one and back to reading books that are faster!
Phil
Jun 11, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine-and-spirits
Engaging account of the players who've made Napa what it is today. Detailed, yet emminently readable. It ends in the late 80's though - I'd like to see a sequel or update.
Jul 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
For someone that fell in love with Napa Valley after the first visit this book was very educational. Without having been to Napa it wouldn't have been as enjoyable.
Marivic
Nov 06, 2008 Marivic rated it really liked it
For those interested in wine and history of families which gave 'life' to the beautiful Napa Valley; very intriguing and a bit surreal.
Jesse
May 17, 2015 Jesse rated it liked it
Cut 200 pages and all the mind numbingly boring stuff about zoning and you'd have a great book. Actually kind of frustrating because the author can really write. Not sure why he dedicated so much space to the minutia of land use politics. Some of that is necessary, sure, but I'd be surprised if anyone giving this more than three stars read the whole book and didn't either quit or skip huge chunks. His descriptions of the land are fantastic and the reporting is superb. To understand the history o ...more
Al Olson
Apr 20, 2008 Al Olson rated it really liked it
Great book. It's the story of the wine families of Napa. It reads like a soap opera ... these characters are larger than life.
Jlleigon
Sep 11, 2008 Jlleigon rated it it was amazing
Cool book on the history of Napa and all the ins-n-outs of the family feuds.
Jeanne
Historical Napa, but reads like a novel. I didn't want it to end.
Fiona Akins
May 09, 2012 Fiona Akins rated it really liked it
This is an absolutely fascinating insight into the world of wineries - growers, vintners, County politics, and landscape. The book is non-fiction written with impossible insights: precisely how Robin Lain is feeling when she looks out over her lost vineyard legacy; the stress building in Robert Mondavi as his family's tensions grow; etc. The author used extensive interviews, as well as the oral interview collection of the Napa Valley Wine Library, which explains much of this omniscient viewpoint ...more
Rich
Aug 19, 2014 Rich rated it really liked it
Unsurprisingly, alcohol and huge egos don't always mix.

This enjoyable and informative history of the Napa Valley does a great job of telling the stories of wineries and the people who own and run them. With so much attention being paid, traditionally, to vinteers it is nice to see a book that includes the stories of growers and pickers.

Susan Roden
Dec 07, 2011 Susan Roden rated it really liked it
This is a very engrossing history of the development of wine in Napa valley. The last 150 - 200 pages dealt with the more boring, aspects of politics in the valley. Since the book ends with 1989, I am interested to read of the last 20+ years 'progress' in this valley.

I found interesting the remarks about the different vintners, as compared with my impression of the wineries & tasting rooms I visited in the mid 90's. I got the impression that some real jerks of people made some great tasting
Florence
Aug 15, 2009 Florence rated it really liked it
A comprehensive view of the Napa valley, its people, and the politics of growth versus preservation over a twenty year period. A detailed description of the planting, nurturing, and harvesting of grapes would have added interest. I visited Napa recently and saw the controversial "wine train", but there were still many beautiful rural and undeveloped areas.
John
Nov 30, 2009 John rated it really liked it
This is a great history of the Napa Valley wine "industry" from the 19th century to 1990. Both uplifting (Rodriguez) and sad (Inglenook), it is a book that filled in many of the blanks this Oakland Calif./Christian Brothers educated boy had. Schramsberg is a favorite and it's story is fascinating.
Chris
Sep 26, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
This was a long history of the Napa families and wineries. I found some aspects interesting, but it went into great detail of some very boring meetings etc of the organizations that control wine. I pushed through it and enjoyed some, but sometimes found it tedious. I was given this book as a gift.
Amy
Aug 25, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A tremendous amounts of typos for misspelled words and missing punctuation in the Kindle version. Had to read some sentences multiple times. The author was all over the place in his telling of the history. Overall it was enjoyable, but not amazing.
Lafaun Reed
Mar 25, 2014 Lafaun Reed rated it really liked it
An interesting look into the early years of Napa Valley.
Ruth
Oct 25, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it
Shelves: book-fest
This brings together many different concerns with the growing winery industry, old time farmers, new industrialists, politicians, farm labor, etc. the author did seem like a journalist of the old type, not showing his opinions.
Richard
Sep 28, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
With it's companion, "The Far Side of Eden," pretty much the definitive history of America's first-county of California wine country. More detail than some will want, but fascinating for any of us who lived/worked there.
Alicia
Jan 23, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While worth reading, this book (and its sequel) is slow going. It feels like the editor gave up somewhere around page 300 - the second half is extremely tedious and repetitive.
Mary Paruch Ring
Apr 14, 2010 Mary Paruch Ring rated it liked it
I loved reading about Napa and the wine industry. I did think that the book was hard to follow, jumping all over and back and forth through the extensive list of 'characters'.
ainsley
Aug 16, 2010 ainsley rated it it was ok
Shelves: wine-books
Got bored and stopped. It was good but just too long. The stories could have been much shorter. Put it down @ page 200 because I was just tired of it.
Cheryl Schibley
Jun 10, 2009 Cheryl Schibley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoy reading Napa with a good glass of wine. It's a great story of California wines winning out over French. How Napa Valley was put on the map.
Erica
Jun 17, 2015 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: alcohol
Pretty spectacularly readable. Worshipful, but readable as any piece of fiction. An easy, enjoyable way to pick up the history of Napa's glitterati.
Nicole Ruiz Hudson
Jul 05, 2013 Nicole Ruiz Hudson rated it really liked it
Very in depth and informative. I listened to it on audio and will have to listen/read again to really have it all sink in.
luv2reed
Apr 25, 2008 luv2reed rated it did not like it
The writing in this book was awful. It is packed with information but so difficult to follow that I gave up half way through
LeAnne
Jun 10, 2011 LeAnne rated it liked it
Educational and historically based. Very fun read for a california girl born there before it was cool.
Katherine Thompson
Dec 01, 2009 Katherine Thompson rated it really liked it
This will make you love wine and California even more than you already do.
Shanyn
Nov 23, 2010 Shanyn rated it liked it
This book was way tooooooo long. But I enjoyed the history lesson.
  • The House of Mondavi: The Rise and Fall of an American Wine Dynasty
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • The Emperor of Wine: The Rise of Robert M. Parker, Jr., and the Reign of American Taste
  • Judgment of Paris: California Vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine
  • The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World
  • The Wine Bible
  • Empire of Vines: Wine Culture in America
  • Queen Victoria, From her Birth to the Death of the Prince Consort
  • Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay
  • Champagne: How the World's Most Glamorous Wine Triumphed Over War and Hard Times
  • A General's Life: An Autobiography by General of the Army Omar N. Bradley
  • Wild Thoughts from Wild Places
  • In the Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat, and Renewal

“The point of business was to make just enough money to keep going, not to create a monster of productivity that chained a person to the wheels of power and stifled all creativity and imagination. Business should not be profit-driven; it should be idea-driven.” 0 likes