Start by marking “Napa: The Story of an American Eden” as Want to Read:
Napa: The Story of an American Eden

Napa: The Story of an American Eden

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  31 reviews
James Conaway's remarkable bestseller delves into the heart of California's lush and verdant Napa Valley, also known as America's Eden. Long the source of succulent grapes and singular wines, this region is also the setting for the remarkable true saga of the personalities behind the winemaking empires. This is the story of Gallos and Mondavis, of fortunes made and lost, o...more
Published October 24th 2002 by Mariner Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Napa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Napa

World Atlas of Wine by Hugh JohnsonRed, White, and Drunk All Over by Natalie MacLeanThe Oxford Companion to Wine by Jancis RobinsonWine and War by Don KladstrupThe New France by Andrew Jefford
Best Wine Books
8th out of 59 books — 43 voters
Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodora KroeberSan Francisco's Playland at the Beach by James R. SmithSan Francisco's Playland at the Beach by James R. SmithHistoric San Francisco by Rand RichardsFolsom's 93 by April  Moore
Northern Californian history (nonfiction)
7th out of 57 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Phil
Engaging account of the players who've made Napa what it is today. Detailed, yet emminently readable. It ends in the late 80's though - I'd like to see a sequel or update.
For someone that fell in love with Napa Valley after the first visit this book was very educational. Without having been to Napa it wouldn't have been as enjoyable.
Marivic
For those interested in wine and history of families which gave 'life' to the beautiful Napa Valley; very intriguing and a bit surreal.
Al Olson
Great book. It's the story of the wine families of Napa. It reads like a soap opera ... these characters are larger than life.
Jlleigon
Cool book on the history of Napa and all the ins-n-outs of the family feuds.
Jeanne
Historical Napa, but reads like a novel. I didn't want it to end.
Fiona Akins
This is an absolutely fascinating insight into the world of wineries - growers, vintners, County politics, and landscape. The book is non-fiction written with impossible insights: precisely how Robin Lain is feeling when she looks out over her lost vineyard legacy; the stress building in Robert Mondavi as his family's tensions grow; etc. The author used extensive interviews, as well as the oral interview collection of the Napa Valley Wine Library, which explains much of this omniscient viewpoint...more
Ruth
This brings together many different concerns with the growing winery industry, old time farmers, new industrialists, politicians, farm labor, etc. the author did seem like a journalist of the old type, not showing his opinions.
Rich
Unsurprisingly, alcohol and huge egos don't always mix.

This enjoyable and informative history of the Napa Valley does a great job of telling the stories of wineries and the people who own and run them. With so much attention being paid, traditionally, to vinteers it is nice to see a book that includes the stories of growers and pickers.

Susan Roden
This is a very engrossing history of the development of wine in Napa valley. The last 150 - 200 pages dealt with the more boring, aspects of politics in the valley. Since the book ends with 1989, I am interested to read of the last 20+ years 'progress' in this valley.

I found interesting the remarks about the different vintners, as compared with my impression of the wineries & tasting rooms I visited in the mid 90's. I got the impression that some real jerks of people made some great tasting...more
Florence
A comprehensive view of the Napa valley, its people, and the politics of growth versus preservation over a twenty year period. A detailed description of the planting, nurturing, and harvesting of grapes would have added interest. I visited Napa recently and saw the controversial "wine train", but there were still many beautiful rural and undeveloped areas.
Ivory
I found this book to be merely OK. The idea behind "Napa" is a noble one: to set out the history of the Napa Valley's transformation into the wine mecca it is today. However, the author tried to cram too much into one volume (vintners, wineries, politics, tourism, etc.) and the book reads as vignette after vignette, with little tying them together. Very disjointed.
karen
I miss Napa and want to learn more about the area...reading it makes me feel like I am there rather than on the NYC subway. Barbara L., if you are reading this...I WANT TO GO BACK!

OK, read most of the book and then just got stuck! I am done with this one and back to reading books that are faster!
John
This is a great history of the Napa Valley wine "industry" from the 19th century to 1990. Both uplifting (Rodriguez) and sad (Inglenook), it is a book that filled in many of the blanks this Oakland Calif./Christian Brothers educated boy had. Schramsberg is a favorite and it's story is fascinating.
Chris
This was a long history of the Napa families and wineries. I found some aspects interesting, but it went into great detail of some very boring meetings etc of the organizations that control wine. I pushed through it and enjoyed some, but sometimes found it tedious. I was given this book as a gift.
Amy
Aug 25, 2012 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food, 2012
A tremendous amounts of typos for misspelled words and missing punctuation in the Kindle version. Had to read some sentences multiple times. The author was all over the place in his telling of the history. Overall it was enjoyable, but not amazing.
Lafaun Reed
An interesting look into the early years of Napa Valley.
Richard
With it's companion, "The Far Side of Eden," pretty much the definitive history of America's first-county of California wine country. More detail than some will want, but fascinating for any of us who lived/worked there.
Alicia
While worth reading, this book (and its sequel) is slow going. It feels like the editor gave up somewhere around page 300 - the second half is extremely tedious and repetitive.
Mary Paruch Ring
I loved reading about Napa and the wine industry. I did think that the book was hard to follow, jumping all over and back and forth through the extensive list of 'characters'.
ainsley
Got bored and stopped. It was good but just too long. The stories could have been much shorter. Put it down @ page 200 because I was just tired of it.
Cheryl Schibley
Enjoy reading Napa with a good glass of wine. It's a great story of California wines winning out over French. How Napa Valley was put on the map.
Erica
Pretty spectacularly readable. Worshipful, but readable as any piece of fiction. An easy, enjoyable way to pick up the history of Napa's glitterati.
Nicole Ruiz Hudson
Very in depth and informative. I listened to it on audio and will have to listen/read again to really have it all sink in.
luv2reed
The writing in this book was awful. It is packed with information but so difficult to follow that I gave up half way through
LeAnne
Educational and historically based. Very fun read for a california girl born there before it was cool.
Katherine Thompson
This will make you love wine and California even more than you already do.
Shanyn
This book was way tooooooo long. But I enjoyed the history lesson.
Honey
Detail overload, and frankly not THAT interesting.
Pam Strayer
One of my favorite books. I recommend it ALL THE TIME.
Nose: A Novel The Far Side of Eden: New Money, Old Land, and the Battle for Napa Valley Vanishing America: In Pursuit of Our Elusive Landscapes The Smithsonian: 150 Years of Adventure, Discovery, and Wonder America's Library: The Story of the Library of Congress, 1800-2000